Radical Islam is Wrecking the World - Or, Why Can't Anyone Tell th

jbg

You see, this is the problem with the devoutly religious. Any rational discussion of religious dogma and their superstitious beliefs leads the person rejecting such nonsensical ideas as being "hate filled". I'm not filled with hate whatsoever. I have an incredible amount of love and respect for life, something that religion has demonstrated it is lacking for all those in the out-group regardless of the faith.

You see, this is the problem with those who think they've solved all of their problems when they reject their parents faith and or church. They think they can answer the enigma of religion and God for ALL of mankind, all based on their singular experience. Like I said, get some time in kid.

This I find interesting. My parents were the ones to not subscribe me and my sister into any kind of religion. We basicly were just taught right from wrong. Did not go to church never said we were Christians, or Catholics. So in a way in contributed to me and my sister being agnostic/athiests.

Religion was needed in a time to have something more to beleive in. But you just need to beleive in yourself and no one else. I keep saying I look at religion as an outsider, for I really have no clue what it does for everyone, but I can get an idea of what it is. But never really knowing it. For the most part, I have no interest in knowing.

Fearmongers who use Radical Islam as a weapon to frighten the masses are just as freakin guilty of wrecking the world. Crap, like there is not enough stress in one day for anyone. Got kids?? Pfff the stress on that alone is hard. Tough job? Bad Marriage? Court cases? Ect? No food to eat? These are all stresses many go through. So the thing about terrorism is really not on the high list of things to worry about. Keep laying those stresses on a society and EVERYONE snaps. THEY ARE GONNA KILL YOU. Give up some rights. Ect. Radical Islam has stolen nothing from you. Not one thing. You let them take it away from you.

So who really is wrecking the world? Or more specificly, who really is wrecking YOUR world?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see, this is the problem with the devoutly religious. Any rational discussion of religious dogma and their superstitious beliefs leads the person rejecting such nonsensical ideas as being "hate filled". I'm not filled with hate whatsoever. I have an incredible amount of love and respect for life, something that religion has demonstrated it is lacking for all those in the out-group regardless of the faith.

You see, this is the problem with those who think they've solved all of their problems when they reject their parents faith and or church. They think they can answer the enigma of religion and God for ALL of mankind, all based on their singular experience. Like I said, get some time in kid.

This I find interesting. My parents were the ones to not subscribe me and my sister into any kind of religion. We basicly were just taught right from wrong. Did not go to church never said we were Christians, or Catholics. So in a way in contributed to me and my sister being agnostic/athiests.

Religion was needed in a time to have something more to beleive in. But you just need to beleive in yourself and no one else. I keep saying I look at religion as an outsider, for I really have no clue what it does for everyone, but I can get an idea of what it is. But never really knowing it. For the most part, I have no interest in knowing.

Fearmongers who use Radical Islam as a weapon to frighten the masses are just as freakin guilty of wrecking the world. Crap, like there is not enough stress in one day for anyone. Got kids?? Pfff the stress on that alone is hard. Tough job? Bad Marriage? Court cases? Ect? No food to eat? These are all stresses many go through. So the thing about terrorism is really not on the high list of things to worry about. Keep laying those stresses on a society and EVERYONE snaps. THEY ARE GONNA KILL YOU. Give up some rights. Ect. Radical Islam has stolen nothing from you. Not one thing. You let them take it away from you.

So who really is wrecking the world? Or more specificly, who really is wrecking YOUR world?

great post - thanks

Get back to me when you're ready to address what I was actually saying, instead of picking and choosing the details you want to dispute. In the end, it's not radical Islam that's destroying the world but the idea of religion as a whole. It's the religious labels that allow them to point out who the enemy is. It's gang mentality on a grander scale. Everything else I was saying is why I feel religion is not needed, the biggest point being the death, suffering and oppression it has caused.

I'll get back to you when your comments aren't hate filled rants on religion, with such easy to disprove nonsense, all based on your experience of sticking it to the man when you rejected your parents' faith. Get some more time in.

Religions pit people against one another. They are an easy excuse for an enemy -- booga booga bad Islam is out to get us -- booga booga bad Jews are out to get us -- booga booga bad Christians are out to get us.

Religion (spirituality) is an individual thought process and should only ever be practised at home in private.

I agree that organized religion is just like "gang" mentality and is responsible for 90% of all strife on this earth.

Stupid people, believing and dying for something unknowable -- ridiculous! So many thousands of years of wasting human lives for nothing. Shame on human beings for being so damn stupid.

Religions pit people against one another. They are an easy excuse for an enemy -- booga booga bad Islam is out to get us -- booga booga bad Jews are out to get us -- booga booga bad Christians are out to get us.

Religion (spirituality) is an individual thought process and should only ever be practised at home in private.

I agree that organized religion is just like "gang" mentality and is responsible for 90% of all strife on this earth.

Stupid people, believing and dying for something unknowable -- ridiculous! So many thousands of years of wasting human lives for nothing. Shame on human beings for being so damn stupid.

No, GREED and FEAR is responsible for the majority of strife on earth.

Just because you obviously don't understand it, it doesn't mean they are all stupid. That's comparable to racists calling all blacks stupid, and just as short sighted.

What nonsense. Booga booga bad Islam IS out to get us. At least according to them. And I don't know, after a couple hundred attacks on us, and hundreds of attacks in the name of Islam a month around the world, one would think that even the dimmest mind would begin to perceive an itsy bitsy problem with a "tiny minority" that happens to number in the tens of millions.

What nonsense. Booga booga bad Islam IS out to get us. At least according to them. And I don't know, after a couple hundred attacks on us, and hundreds of attacks in the name of Islam a month around the world, one would think that even the dimmest mind would begin to perceive an itsy bitsy problem with a "tiny minority" that happens to number in the tens of millions.

Booga Booga!

ALL religions are false.

All religions create strife.

Just so happens that in 2007 Islam is the "bad one" -- who knows, by 2100 maybe some other religion will be the "bad one".

Just as Christianity was the "bad one" centuries ago...

Religion is a method used by those who want to control others. Period. It has nothing to do with "spirituality" in the individual sense at all.

So Scotty -- what do you propose? Kill all those who believe in the "unknowable invisible allpowerful" entity called Allah?

Should they convert to believing in:

1. Jehova

2. G-d

3. God

4. Jesus

5. Buddah

6. Voodoo

7. Santa Claus

8. The tooth fairy

9. The Candyman.... LOL

all are equally plausible because they are unknowable.

Death and mayhem has been (and still is) committed under the guise of "god is on our side" -- pathetic pathetic pathetic.

Pathetic -- whether it be a Muslim killing himself in the name of Allah or the Christian believing he will be "sucked out" by Jesus during "rapture". :rolleyes:

I don't care whether or not folks think I "understand" their "need" for organized religion. I think folks are crazy to believe we are being judged by some entity in the clouds.

IMO the human race needs to friggin' grow up and stop depending on some judgemental "father" in the sky.

Booga Booga!

ALL religions are false.

All religions create strife.

Just so happens that in 2007 Islam is the "bad one"...

Glad we could get that straight, since that is the only relevant bit of your post. What you think of other religions or all religions or whatever is a personal article of faith for you, but is in no way relevant to whether Islam is booga booga bad "this year". As you admit, Islam is the booga booga bad religion "this year", and has been since it started offing people right, left and center.

The point, Scotty is...

no matter the religion, sooner or later someone is going to use it for control. Someone is going to use it as an excuse to kill another human being.

God (Allah, Jehova, Beanhead or whatever you call it) does not exist -- there is no such thing as a father/judge in the sky.

We are all orphans waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

LOL

Like I said -- the human race needs to grow up.

The point, Scotty is...

no matter the religion, sooner or later someone is going to use it for control. Someone is going to use it as an excuse to kill another human being.

God (Allah, Jehova, Beanhead or whatever you call it) does not exist -- there is no such thing as a father/judge in the sky.

We are all orphans waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

LOL

Like I said -- the human race needs to grow up.

As I told someone else, I'm afraid you're going to have to take the world as is. It ain't changing for you. Learning to realize that is part of growing up.

As I told someone else, I'm afraid you're going to have to take the world as is. It ain't changing for you. Learning to realize that is part of growing up.

Yes, actually, it is.

Less and less people believe in an unknowable entity/creator. And this is a very good thing.

The human race IS slowly growing up -- and the more we debate the subject of religion, the more common sense will prevail.

Of course I have to "take the world as it is" -- can't really go anywhere else LOL -- my ultimate wish (as wishes go) is that we stop killing one another whether for oil or god or whatever.

Yes, actually, it is.

Less and less people believe in an unknowable entity/creator. And this is a very good thing.

The human race IS slowly growing up -- and the more we debate the subject of religion, the more common sense will prevail.

Of course I have to "take the world as it is" -- can't really go anywhere else LOL -- my ultimate wish (as wishes go) is that we stop killing one another whether for oil or god or whatever.

Do you realize you are a hypocrite? You are arguing to respect India's religious laws in another thread and at the same time saying how all religion is nonsense in this thread. Good grief.

Yes, actually, it is.

Do you realize you are a hypocrite? You are arguing to respect India's religious laws in another thread and at the same time saying how all religion is nonsense in this thread. Good grief.

She is also proclaiming her faith in the fact that faith is nonsense. I don't know how much more fundamental the hypocrisy can get than that.

If you need an invisible father to rely on that is your issue, not mine.

I have faith in gravity. I have faith that the sun will rise each day -- the difference is I do not put "faith" into something that is utterly unknowable.

And yes, thunder IS caused by angels going bowling and rain really IS tears of god.

Sheesh.

If you need an invisible father to rely on that is your issue, not mine.

I have faith in gravity. I have faith that the sun will rise each day -- the difference is I do not put "faith" into something that is utterly unknowable.

And yes, thunder IS caused by angels going bowling and rain really IS tears of god.

Sheesh.

What I want or need is not the issue here. You are defending India's religious laws in one thread while claiming you despise all religion in another. There is no integrity in these two positions, and yet you continue to blather on in the hopes that it won't be noticed.

Edit: I am refering to the, "This would never happen in Canada" Thread, also in the Rest Of The World section.

She is also proclaiming her faith in the fact that faith is nonsense. I don't know how much more fundamental the hypocrisy can get than that.

How does someone saying they don't have faith, mean they have faith? Are you serious? You don't have faith in all the other religions beside yours, but you're not characterized by that point. Atheists simply reject the idea of an all-powerful all-knowing creator. It's not a faith at all, by definition it's a rejection of faith. Faith is choosing to believe in something without any kind of testable evidence to back up that claim.

How does someone saying they don't have faith, mean they have faith? Are you serious? You don't have faith in all the other religions beside yours, but you're not characterized by that point. Atheists simply reject the idea of an all-powerful all-knowing creator. It's not a faith at all, by definition it's a rejection of faith. Faith is choosing to believe in something without any kind of testable evidence to back up that claim.

She is choosing to believe in the absence of something with no testable evidence to back her supposition up. Since we have to rely on anecdotal evidence in the absence of testable evidence, by far the greater burden of proof lies with her.

But you have faith in its absence; a philosophical stance that is every bit as unknowable as its opposite.
This doesn't put having faith in the invisible, unknowable force known as God on equal footing with rejecting its existence. They're not equally likely ideas. There have been hundreds of thousands of Gods through the ages that you flat out reject, or would consider idiotic to worship; however, without anymore proof than those others had, you proclaim your chosen God as the one that's real. You don't have faith in the absence of other Gods. You believe they don't exist for all the reasons atheists believe your God doesn't exist. That is not faith at all, it's not believing in something.

And another thing, most atheists don't flat out entirely reject the existence of God. A lot of them would say, it's very likely there is no existence. It's untestable, so there's no way of being absolutely 100% certain. If faith were a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being completely certain there is no God and 10 being completely certain there is no God, most atheists would check in somewhere around 2 or 3, agnostics 4 to 6, spiritual people that are undecided of which belief system to follow 7 to 9 and anyone who is at all religious is a 10.

The scale is the amount of faith you have in a God, so by saying someone who is a 2 or 3 is having faith in not having faith is ridiculous.

you proclaim your chosen God as the one that's real.

Don't put words in my mouth. Who do you think my "chosen God" is? As I have said repeatedly, I believe in God. I do not believe in anyone's particular God. I don't know what God is, never having had the pleasure of meeting him.

It takes faith to believe in God. It takes faith to believe there is no God. This simple truth is lost on atheists.

She is choosing to believe in the absence of something with no testable evidence to back her supposition up. Since we have to rely on anecdotal evidence in the absence of testable evidence, by far the greater burden of proof lies with her.

How do you believe in not believing? Do you know how stupid that sounds?

you proclaim your chosen God as the one that's real.

Don't put words in my mouth. Who do you think my "chosen God" is? As I have said repeatedly, I believe in God. I do not believe in anyone's particular God. I don't know what God is, never having had the pleasure of meeting him.

If you believe in a God, then all other Gods are wrong. Unless, of course, you're admitting that you're wrong. But what's true, has to be universally so, you can't have individual personal truths.

If you believe in a God, then all other Gods are wrong. Unless, of course, you're admitting that you're wrong. But what's true, has to be universally so, you can't have individual personal truths.

What nonsense. That's like saying that if I believe in a Ford, then all other cars are wrong. I believe in cars. I make no silly distinctions between brands. I think some levels of undersatnding of God are faulty as hell, and other's incomplete, but I certainly don't believe in one religion's idea of what God is.

Once again, we have no testable evidence of the existence of God, but we have reams of anecdotal evidence. We have no testable nor anecdotal evidence of the non-existence of God. The burden of proof therefore lies with atheism, and I have not even seen a vague attempt on the part of atheism to prove its thesis...aside from schoolyard scoffs.

What nonsense. That's like saying that if I believe in a Ford, then all other cars are wrong. I believe in cars. I make no silly distinctions between brands. I think some levels of undersatnding of God are faulty as hell, and other's incomplete, but I certainly don't believe in one religion's idea of what God is.

Once again, we have no testable evidence of the existence of God, but we have reams of anecdotal evidence. We have no testable nor anecdotal evidence of the non-existence of God. The burden of proof therefore lies with atheism, and I have not even seen a vague attempt on the part of atheism to prove its thesis...aside from schoolyard scoffs.

Bertrand Russell's Celestial Teapot, written in 1952:

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

Russell wrote this to show that the burden of proof lies on the religious to prove their claims. By simply rejecting something as implausible, it is not the atheist or agnostic who is bringing something to the table that needs to be proven. It lies squarely on the shoulders of the religious.

But why should the religious have to justify their beliefs? Richard Dawkins probably says it best in The Devil's Chaplain:

The reason organized religion merits outright hostility is that, unlike belief in Russell's teapot, religion is powerful, influential, tax-exempt and systematically passed on to children too young to defend themselves. Children are not compelled to spend their formative years memorizing loony books about teapots. Government-subsidized schools don't exclude children whose parents prefer the wrong shape of teapot. Teapot-believers don't stone teapot-unbelievers, teapot-apostates, teapot-heretics and teapot-blasphemers to death. Mothers don't warn their sons off marrying teapot-shiksas whose parents believe in three teapots rather than one. People who put the milk in first don't kneecap those who put the tea in first.

It is precisely because of a belief in the teapot known as God that this type of division and suffering happens. I think it is reasonable to suggest that those who believe in this teapot, be made to justify such insane claims.