Who is to blame for the demise of traditional marriage

So women seeking equality has spelled the demise of "traditional" marriage?

Ergo, "traditional" marriage is an unequal partnership contract favouring males.

So, males decrying the loss of traditional marriage are then decrying the loss of an institution that gave them unfair advantage over women.

Oh my, that is so too bad, eh?!

Might be too bad, but it is true.

Think you took my sarcastic response out of it's sarcastic response context.

It is with good reason "Traditional Marriage" is on the demise, and never to be resurrected. It is past its expiry date and as such has spelled its own decline.

Men, have no right to have an unequal partnership contract bias in their favour, and those that think they do have a right to "traditional marriage"and the inequality it implies, and indeed are the ones who have spoiled the whole notion of marriage. We can see then, that the destruction, of the belief in marriage, is derived from those who are sexist and and they must take the burden upon themselves, instead of trying to shirk responsibility upon women and feminists.

Women have every right to freedom of conscience, action and equality, if instituations which favour males fall away as a result of gaining those rights, it is a positive thing.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I suppose someone with religious sentiments could CHOOSE not be religious so as to get in figleafs good graces.

I'm not against religious people, I just disagee with their beliefs.

Then perhaps you are not anti-religion then?

What do you care what other people believe?

It is easy to see that feminism has brought about the downfall of Traditional Marriage.

Touche ! I too want a return to the traditional marriage. Keep those feminists away from me boy. They are only loony and wanting to stir up crap.

I want to return to the days when I could............

1) Beat my wife-she better not say anything to anyone.

2) Come home and dinner better be fresh and hot, and so should she .

3) Four kids at home is NOT a reason to complain to me-go out and get a job, being a mom is not a job.

4) Speak to me when I ask you something.

5)What do you mean the laundry needs tending? Whats laundry?

6) Here is your allowance.

Now that is living boy, woo hoo .

More men should have been "Loreena Bobitt"ed in the past.

It is easy to see that feminism has brought about the downfall of Traditional Marriage.

Touche ! I too want a return to the traditional marriage. Keep those feminists away from me boy. They are only loony and wanting to stir up crap.

3) Four kids at home is NOT a reason to complain to me-go out and get a job, being a mom is not a job.

Sending your wife out to work is not part of a traditional marriage.

Hey I like feminism. Go ahead lady, buy me dinner and pay for the movie.

I'm just saying that it is the main reason for the decline in traditional marriage. It is so obvious.

Obviously, you're being satirical. But that may be better than a never-ending battle.

Traditional marriage is failing---WHY?

Because people decided that they would rather be happy instead of married.

Good point, but there is no such thing as traditional marriages, as defined by those here, in the fist place, let alone, have them be the bulding blocks of Canada.

Traditional marriage is failing---WHY?

Because people decided that they would rather be happy instead of married.

Good point, but there is no such thing as traditional marriages, as defined by those here, in the fist place, let alone, have them be the bulding blocks of Canada.

"people decided that they would rather be happy instead of married" is a Good Point? Marriage does not make people happy OR sad.

"no such thing as traditional marriages, as defined by those here" is for sure true. Drea is a 42 year old living together divorcee who wants to get married, Catchme is gay, living together with a former heterosexual husband. Renegade thinks the act of Marriage brings on a perminent state of unhappyness, and Catchme agrees. Yep, a typical group for sure.

I don't think there is such thing as a traditional marriage, I think the definition is arbitrary, and marriages and the benefits of marriage as a whole, should be swept away, they have no purpose in modern society (this coming from a conservative). I think that marriages in general break down due to laziness, selfishness and culture. This is one of the rare times I agree with CatchMe.

Marriage does not make people happy OR sad.

Apparently you have never heard the commonly used term "happily married" or "unhappily married". Apparently you have never seen or experienced the emotion shown at a wedding or a divorce.

Renegade thinks the act of Marriage brings on a perminent state of unhappyness, and Catchme agrees.

No, I don't think that marriage brings on a permanent state of unhappiness for everyone, however a "traditional marriage" structure traps some people into a long-term arrangement which they are not happy with. The only way out of that unhappiness for them is the dissolution of their "traditional marriage".

I'm with Catchme as well on this one, but extend it a little further to a more libertarian view.

The state should be completely out of the game. All living arrangements should get equal benefits (if any), let people call themselves whatever they want.

Why not just dissolve the institution of Marriage. If it makes people unhappy, and locks people into situations they may not like, get rid of it. Just do contracts. They can be as loose or tight as desired. Negotiation can be done between the two parties before the 'signing'. The ceremony can be called the Signing Ceremony. People can say they are Under Contract.

I'm with Catchme as well on this one, but extend it a little further to a more libertarian view.

The state should be completely out of the game. All living arrangements should get equal benefits (if any), let people call themselves whatever they want.

Why not just dissolve the institution of Marriage. If it makes people unhappy, and locks people into situations they may not like, get rid of it. Just do contracts. They can be as loose or tight as desired. Negotiation can be done between the two parties before the 'signing'. The ceremony can be called the Signing Ceremony. People can say they are Under Contract.

Excellent suggestions. That's something I would support.

It's going to leave the government with a problem however, since it seems to want to discrimminate on the basis of marital status. How's it going to do that if there is no agreed definition of marriage?

It's going to leave the government with a problem however, since it seems to want to discrimminate on the basis of marital status. How's it going to do that if there is no agreed definition of marriage?
You are assuming that the government should discriminate on the basis or marital status. I would say that the solution to this dilemma is like nail-biting: just stop doing it.

There are alot a interesting pionts I would like to comment on, but I'm short on time. But somebody said in the thread that people don't want to sacrifice their own happiness and freedoms for the sake of being married...While that's true for most people, even though it might only be subconcious, I was never able to understand that. I'm only 19 years old, and I've never seen marriage as a scary or bad thing. I've seen countless people who's marraiges have fallen apart, and that mess up. But I figure they're doing it wrong. I know it's not all "fun in the park" and I know they're are lots of sacrifices, but I don't care. I think it's worth it. What would I give up for a happy marraige in the future? Almost anything, besides my core values and morals, I would give almost anything, and I can't wait to be married. If I have to be a stay at home dad, I'll do it. If I have to work 70 hours a week, I'll do it. What I'm living for today is to make sure I get happily married and have a family, nothing else is of higher priority. What's wrong with that?

I'm only 19 years old, and I've never seen marriage as a scary or bad thing. What I'm living for today is to make sure I get happily married and have a family, nothing else is of higher priority. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that Frankie. But I suspect between now and the time you do get married, or ponder the thought, your attitude will have changed at least a bit.

But you are 19....go out and have a ton of fun in the meantime.

What I'm living for today is to make sure I get happily married and have a family, nothing else is of higher priority. What's wrong with that?

Er..nothing, I suppose, but it does seema bit limited. I mean: what's so great about being married that you'd do anything to get there?

Oh and as someone more sympathetic than most towards feminism, I'd say feminism did contribute to the decline of traditional marriage. An dthat is, IMO, a Good Thing.

You are assuming that the government should discriminate on the basis or marital status.

I make no such assumption. What I assume is that they will discrimminate regardless of what they should or shouldn't do inorder to pander to the voting public.

I would say that the solution to this dilemma is like nail-biting: just stop doing it.

If only there was a way to make it so.