QP Slime

Saturn

Here is your government in action. Get an empty bucket and watch today's (Feb 26) MPTV. This is what we are paying them to do.

http://www.garth.ca/mptv/

Ya thats great stuff, i wish the people of the country could punish these people with pay cuts or penalties or something for acting like idiots.

Here is your government in action. Get an empty bucket and watch today's (Feb 26) MPTV. This is what we are paying them to do.

http://www.garth.ca/mptv/

You're right, it's just awful.

Turner telling the government it is responsible for training these people.

These people in the auto sector who were making $35.00 an hour putting nuts and bolts on a car are now out of work.Did they really think this was a "skill"?

Turner is really stupid to think Canadians will feel the government is responsible to retrain this bunch.

Tell them to get Buzz to retrain them or tell the car makers to make cars the consumer wants.

Turner sure is stupid.

August I'm confused at your post? What are you trying to say?
Turner was going on about job losses when Canada's unemployment rate is at a 30 year low.

It's as if he asked Suzuki why this winter has been so cold. Or if he complained about high interest rates to David Dodge.

Van Loan rightly ignored Turner's dumb question and then answered the follow up dismissively.

Turner was going on about job losses when Canada's unemployment rate is at a 30 year low.

It's as if he asked Suzuki why this winter has been so cold. Or if he complained about high interest rates to David Dodge.

So? The Conservatives go on about crime when the crime rate has been decreasing since 1991.

That’s why I am happy with the progress we’ve just made, and keen to

get on with other changes.

The GST has been cut. Personal taxes are down. There are now

cheques coming to families with young kids. Tax credits for

riding the GO Train. These things will help. It’s the most help

families have had in the last 13 years – but it is just a start. On

my agenda are a lot of other things to fight for, including family

income-splitting, better retirement savings strategies, help for

retired couples and a far simpler tax system. Rest assured,

improving your family finances remains my top goal in Ottawa.

It’s what most of you sent me there for.

Article

Not really pertaining to the video clip, but from a publication that Garth put out. Guide to Improved Family Finances.

He seems pretty happy about the progress with the Conservative Government.

I lost all respect for Garth once he decided to go sit with the Liberal's, despite his own rants against partisanship. If he had gone with the Green's that would have been more respectable. But either way, really the debate in parliament is nothing short of childish and juvenile, and it comes from all political stripes.

So? The Conservatives go on about crime when the crime rate has been decreasing since 1991.

shhhhh.

Conservatives dont want to know that.

They like thinking crime is out of control and getting worse.

It isn't the amount of crime which angers conservatives, it is the lack of punishment for crime. And the fact that, despite what statisticians say about it, many areas of this country are too dangerous for women and kids to be out on the street after dark.

shhhhh.

It isn't the amount of crime which angers conservatives, it is the lack of punishment for crime. And the fact that, despite what statisticians say about it, many areas of this country are too dangerous for women and kids to be out on the street after dark.

Yah right, what they really want are super jails, then they can say how they combate crime, in the meantime their big business friends will be running them at our cost.

A good comparison would be Toronto and New York City. One city was once extremely safe and clean, and no longer is. The other was a cesspool of crime and dirt, and is now knock-em-dead gorgeous and safe.

Actually, I remember during the 2006 election campaign Harper mentioned that crime was increasing (which of course is false). I don't have a link, but I'm sure he said something to that effect.

The Conservatives are focusing on violent crime. In 1962, violent crime was at about 200 incidents per 100,000 people. It rose to well over a 1000 at it's peak around 1991. Since then, there have been minimal decreases but the fact is, we are basically treading water at a rate that is over 4 times what it was in 1962. Why do you think the media chooses to highlight the miniscule decreases since the peak in 1991 and hide the horrendous increases that led to the peak?

Here's a site that has a number of graphs and commentary about violent crime.

http://www.fradical.com/Violent_crime_statistics_Canada.htm

The Conservatives are focusing on violent crime. In 1962, violent crime was at about 200 incidents per 100,000 people. It rose to well over a 1000 at it's peak around 1991. Since then, there have been minimal decreases but the fact is, we are basically treading water at a rate that is over 4 times what it was in 1962. Why do you think the media chooses to highlight the miniscule decreases since the peak in 1991 and hide the horrendous increases that led to the peak?

http://www.fradical.com/Violent_crime_statistics_Canada.htm

hmm whats so bad about trying to get it down to 1962 levels or similar.

What's the difference b/w 1962 and now?

-If you were part of a gang cops could make like hell for you

-No charter of rights + freedoms

-If you killed someone there was a chance you could hang

-attitudes regarding criminals were different

Used to be that Vancouverites were afraid to go to New York. Now they love the place but are afraid of parts of their own city or to walk in the main commercial area of Surrey, just across the river.

[The Conservatives are focusing on violent crime. In 1962, violent crime was at about 200 incidents per 100,000 people. It rose to well over a 1000 at it's peak around 1991. Since then, there have been minimal decreases but the fact is, we are basically treading water at a rate that is over 4 times what it was in 1962. Why do you think the media chooses to highlight the miniscule decreases since the peak in 1991 and hide the horrendous increases that led to the peak?

From your link............overall rates of violent crime are still three times higher than they were in the 1960s, and rates of property crime are twice as high."

Not posting the 18% drop in 1991? Dont think that is minimal.

As for why, the kids all got older. The really high crime rates were because we were young and stupid.

You're right, it's just awful.

Turner telling the government it is responsible for training these people.

These people in the auto sector who were making $35.00 an hour putting nuts and bolts on a car are now out of work.Did they really think this was a "skill"?

Turner is really stupid to think Canadians will feel the government is responsible to retrain this bunch.

Tell them to get Buzz to retrain them or tell the car makers to make cars the consumer wants.

Turner sure is stupid.

You're entitled to that opinion, and to a point it does have some legitimacy.

But the question I ask.....

Why can't the CPC ever respond as such?

Keep scrolling down and watching the videos. So many issues are met with attacks instead of rebuttals as you just provided (granted sarcastically, but at least it had a point and did not attack the person asking the question.

Just on Turner's site alone - from the infamous "shame shame shame" accusation hurled at the Liberals when questioned about the appointing of judges, to the way they attacked Turner for bringing up the job-losses.

They're bullies who think mud-slinging constitutes a rebuttal. Did you see the reaction the CPC MPs showed when the speaker attacked Turner instead of acknowledging his grievance? Clapping away and all smiles - like they're proud of themselves for using ad hominem attacks instead of responses.

Seeing how it's only the few and far in -between number of their supporters who can actually muster up an argument without name-calling, I'm not surprised you team loves these tactics.

Actually, I remember during the 2006 election campaign Harper mentioned that crime was increasing (which of course is false). I don't have a link, but I'm sure he said something to that effect.

That's exactly how his mentor won his Governorship in Texas too - by pretending crime is out of control under Ann Richards, when in fact is was going down.

If it's the Charter's fault, why is violent crime so bad in the US where attitudes ARE different and you CAN hang for your crimes?

If it's the Charter's fault, why is violent crime so bad in the US where attitudes ARE different and you CAN hang for your crimes?

The deterrent effect of capital punishment for murder and the like is rather limited.

If someone can rationalise their own death, they'll likely rationalise the immorality of killing someone. People that rationalise capital punishment already don't kill people.

I'd argue that the deterrent effect of capital punishment if applied to white collar crimes would be huge. These are crimes that are often very well rationalised and thought out, including the costs of being caught.

But to murder? Nah. A rational person doesn't kill (in most cases).

The only valid argument for capital punishment in my opinion is to help the victims... but I'm unsure if that's a morally justifed outcome... someone's death for someone else's satisfaction is a tough situation to argue for.

Now for the Charter in particular... while I really dislike many of it's premises, I don't think it's a leading factor in impeding police investigations. I'd look more closely at police resources and possibly some questionable precedent in common law before I looked at the Charter. On it's own, the Charter is useless. Government needs to find ways to legislate that are constitutionally acceptable and effective on crime.

Mandatory minimums is one such concept. If Conservatives want the judges to have less power, then make the law more focused and they will have less power. The CCC as it is today, is open to alot of interpretation, which makes it easy for judges to legislate from the bench.

Comparing the US to Canada is like comparing apples to oranges, two different societies. Why was violent crime down in 1962 in Canada when laws were harsh and up when it was more lax?

I'd say the problem is society and families not properly raising their kids (the ones who commit violent crime) for the most part and plain insanity for the minority of the rest, IMO.

Comparing the US to Canada is like comparing apples to oranges, two different societies. Why was violent crime down in 1962 in Canada when laws were harsh and up when it was more lax?

I'd say the problem is society and families not properly raising their kids (the ones who commit violent crime) for the most part and plain insanity for the minority of the rest, IMO.

Personally, I think it's the trend that started in the 80's of glorifying violence. Compare West Side Story to Scarface. :)