Zaccardelli and Conservative Support

Stockwell Day was expressing support earlier this week until Zaccardelli quit.

The flip flops aside, the RCMP's problems were mounting. The Conservatives could have cleared the man out with no complaints from me. It seems Stockwell Day wanted him out as well although he won't admit it now nor will he answer questions about it.

Was it a mistake to keep the Commisoner around? Did Harper feel he owed the man a favour for delivering during the election on the income trusts thing?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/061207/national/arar_day

The flip flops aside, the RCMP's problems were mounting. The Conservatives could have cleared the man out with no complaints from me. It seems Stockwell Day wanted him out as well although he won't admit it now nor will he answer questions about it.

Was it a mistake to keep the Commisoner around? Did Harper feel he owed the man a favour for delivering during the election on the income trusts thing?

You've got to admit, the whole thing is deeply weird.

What exactly was the Zackster thinking one or the other time he testified? Did he honestly expect he'd be able to stay on after telling a parliamentary committee that he'd 'not represented' the facts as the were?

I'd say we should look abroad for a new RCMP commish -- recruit in the EU, find someone with direct counter-terrorism experience.

What else could Day have said?

Where the police or military are concerned, anything less than complete support just won't work. This is a black and white, pregnant or not issue. A politician can't talk grey.

The RCMP are a tough bunch. They'll never admit error and they prefer to solve their problems internally.

Where the police or military are concerned, anything less than complete support just won't work. This is a black and white, pregnant or not issue. A politician can't talk grey.

The RCMP are a tough bunch. They'll never admit error and they prefer to solve their problems internally.

Actually, it appeared Day said a lot. He's just not talking now. He had the opportunity to remove the Commissioner months ago. The head of the RCMP must have the confidence of the minister. It was Harper who wanted him to remain. Perhaps the Commissioner reminded him of how he announced an RCMP investigation during the election. That same investigation that evaporated as soon as the election was over.

You've got to admit, the whole thing is deeply weird.

What exactly was the Zackster thinking one or the other time he testified? Did he honestly expect he'd be able to stay on after telling a parliamentary committee that he'd 'not represented' the facts as the were?

I'd say we should look abroad for a new RCMP commish -- recruit in the EU, find someone with direct counter-terrorism experience.

There are a few top RCMP people who are the mold of the old chief and one who is not. She's the woman who ably managed the organized crime unit of the RCMP. Perhaps it is her time to shine.

Was it a mistake for the liberals to appoint him in the first place?

Actually, it appeared Day said a lot. He's just not talking now. He had the opportunity to remove the Commissioner months ago. The head of the RCMP must have the confidence of the minister. It was Harper who wanted him to remain. Perhaps the Commissioner reminded him of how he announced an RCMP investigation during the election. That same investigation that evaporated as soon as the election was over.

Doesn't it get tiring being so partisan all the time?

Personally, I thought Zaccardelli should have been removed by the previous Liberal government.

And if you have read the majority of my posts, you would see I don't claim to support one party blindly and from their list of selected policies.

BY all accounts, Day wanted Zaccardelli removed. I agreed with him on that and couldn't understand why he was being told to support the Commissioner. I still don't know why he did.

You think the Commissioner should have been removed? Or is that too partisan a question to ask?

And what of that investigation into the Liberals that he announced? I never heard anything about that afterwards.

Was it a mistake for the liberals to appoint him in the first place?

It was a mistake to keep him on for sure. I think the Liberals should have removed him.

The Justice Committee remarked on the poor selection of applicants for the job. I think that Harper may have to look beyond the force for the next leader although there is a one or two on the force that may have the tar to do the job. We don't need anymore secretive or overly political leaders as head of the RCMP. We need a cop.

What makes you think this was an error?

Was Mr. Arar not a suspect? Is there law against someone being suspect by the RCMP in a time of terrorism even though solid evidence did not exist?

Was Mr. Arar not taking extreme chances travelling at a time of high alert ( also as a citizen of Syria)concerning terrorism?

Was Mr. Arar found innocent in a court of LAW?

Canada's national security has been jeopardized and weakened and viewed as incompetent, because of Mr. Arar trying to pursue (payback time, at tax payers expense) rather than admit that he was the reason this all happened due to plain stupidity, on his part.

Canada should be suing him.

There seems to be something more going on here...do you have that feeling?

Is Zaccardelli protecting some higher ups? Are there some other things left undisclosed?

Somebody said that if Anne McLellan were still an MP, she would be asked to resign over this.

I think Harper should call an independent investigation. If the blame falls mostly on the Liberals for this, let it happen. If there is blame enough for everyone including Arar, let that happen too.

Zaccardelli was a piss-poor excuse for a police officer, never mind commisioner of the RCMP. He should have been fired years ago, but of course, being a pathetic, honourless suckup without a shred of integrity was what the Liberals liked about him. For years there have been serious allegations of misconduct and incompetence in the RCMP, particularly in regard to investigations of corruption and passport selling at Canadian embassies, and on the subject of organized crime. On top of that we had the RCMP participating in the sponsorship scandal to get some money for horses while hiding the money in outside bank accounts. All of the allegations have been hushed up under pressure from the top, with ridiculously delayed investigations. Mounties with integrity who went public were fired.

Meanwhile, Zackardelli was spending public money on himself, like nearly a thousand dollars on a pair of hand made leather boots, and close to two hundred thousand to remodel his office with pricy leather furniture.

All of that as background to the more serious fault under Zackardelli - which was an RCMP which was cheerfully willing to break the law and violate civil liberties on instructions of their political masters.

The APEC summit was one of the more blatant examples. Because of a promise made by chretien to the Chinese dictator that he wouldn't be "embarrassed" by protesters the RCMP violated the civil rights of hundreds of people. They made numerous false arrests, going so far as to snatch small paper signs out of the hands of people standing on their own lawns. Flags were pulled off private flag poles, and pepper gas was used on peaceful protesters.

In my view ever RCMP officer who took part ought to be fired, and then subject to investigation for assault and forceable confinement. They all knew they were breaking the law. They all knew they were arresting people without cause. They did it because "I was following orders".

An even worse breech of the law occured in the CBDB affair. This was the government's business development bank which loaned money to Chretien's business partner at his insistence so that partner could then turn around and pay it to Chretien. The partner then neglected to make any payments on he "Loan" and when Francois Beaudoin tried to call in the loan Chretien had him fired. When he went public Chretien set the RCMP to harrass and intimidate him. The RCMP raided his home an cottage more than once, and tried to get the Quebec crown to lay false charges. Quebec judge Andre Denis referred to the three years of hounding of Beaudoin by the RCMP and government as "an unspeakable injustice".

In my opinion that was worse than sponsorgate, for it involved the government using the RCMP to harrass and intimidate a political opponent. But the meek national press paid it little attention, and never condemned the RCMP for what they did.

Zackardelli should have been fired long ago. The RCMP needs to be cleaned out. The top three candidates to succeed him are all collectively known as "Zack clones" and all should be part of the Chretien corruption baggage cleaned out of the RCMP by a new, outside commissioner.

Zackardelli should have been fired long ago. The RCMP needs to be cleaned out. The top three candidates to succeed him are all collectively known as "Zack clones" and all should be part of the Chretien corruption baggage cleaned out of the RCMP by a new, outside commissioner.

Yes, Zaccardelli should have been fired long ago and one former officer did indeed refer to the top three candidates as "Zac-clones." Story:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/12/06/...ef.html?ref=rss

But does that comment from a disaffected former officer disqualify all three? All three are deputy commissioners who would naturally have interacted with Zaccardelli in their line of duty. What exactly is wrong, for example, with Beverley Busson? Her CV looks good to me.

Yes, Zaccardelli should have been fired long ago and one former officer did indeed refer to the top three candidates as "Zac-clones." Story:

But does that comment from a disaffected former officer disqualify all three? All three are deputy commissioners who would naturally have interacted with Zaccardelli in their line of duty. What exactly is wrong, for example, with Beverley Busson? Her CV looks good to me.

I mentioned her earlier. She does have a good reputation on organized crime. But it may be not enough to overcome the feeling that the force has to go outside to fix its problems.

I mentioned her earlier. She does have a good reputation on organized crime. But it may be not enough to overcome the feeling that the force has to outside to fix its problems.

It's a shame that someone of her accomplishments and credentials unfairly has to pay the price for Zaccardelli.

I see no reason other than political expediency why Zaccardelli couldn't be replaced by someone from within the RCMP providing that person undergoes exactly the same scrutiny as someone brought in from outside the RCMP.

Sometimes outside influence is good. Companies that have always had near complete control over a market segment often come to believe their way of operating is the only way. Crown corporations are a good example. I have been part of a couple of mergers and in both cases the company that made the take over benefited by adopting many of the procedures used by the company they just absorbed. Just because you are the biggest doesn't mean everything you do is superior. There is more than one way to skin a cat and sometimes yours is not the best.

Are you not ably equipped to comment on that very point?

Was Mr. Arar not taking extreme chances travelling at a time of high alert ( also as a citizen of Syria)concerning terrorism?

Are you suggesting he was taking greater chances than any other air-traveller at the time? Are you suggesting that persons of Arab descent should have stayed grounded until white/western authorities agreed not to subject them to rendition and torture? What are you suggesting there?

Was Mr. Arar found innocent in a court of LAW?

Again, what is the point there? In fact, he was never charged or tried in any court so the question of being found anything in a court appears completely beside any possible rational point.

Canada's national security has been jeopardized and weakened and viewed as incompetent, because of Mr. Arar trying to pursue (payback time, at tax payers expense) rather than admit that he was the reason this all happened due to plain stupidity, on his part.

:huh: What exactly do you think Arar ought to have done differently? Your attempts to blame the victim here are ... weird.

Zaccardelli was a piss-poor excuse for a police officer, never mind commisioner of the RCMP. He should have been fired years ago, but of course, being a pathetic, honourless suckup without a shred of integrity was what the Liberals liked about him. For years there have been serious allegations of misconduct and incompetence in the RCMP, particularly in regard to investigations of corruption and passport selling at Canadian embassies, and on the subject of organized crime. On top of that we had the RCMP participating in the sponsorship scandal to get some money for horses while hiding the money in outside bank accounts. All of the allegations have been hushed up under pressure from the top, with ridiculously delayed investigations. Mounties with integrity who went public were fired.

Meanwhile, Zackardelli was spending public money on himself, like nearly a thousand dollars on a pair of hand made leather boots, and close to two hundred thousand to remodel his office with pricy leather furniture.

All of that as background to the more serious fault under Zackardelli - which was an RCMP which was cheerfully willing to break the law and violate civil liberties on instructions of their political masters.

The APEC summit was one of the more blatant examples. Because of a promise made by chretien to the Chinese dictator that he wouldn't be "embarrassed" by protesters the RCMP violated the civil rights of hundreds of people. They made numerous false arrests, going so far as to snatch small paper signs out of the hands of people standing on their own lawns. Flags were pulled off private flag poles, and pepper gas was used on peaceful protesters.

In my view ever RCMP officer who took part ought to be fired, and then subject to investigation for assault and forceable confinement. They all knew they were breaking the law. They all knew they were arresting people without cause. They did it because "I was following orders".

An even worse breech of the law occured in the CBDB affair. This was the government's business development bank which loaned money to Chretien's business partner at his insistence so that partner could then turn around and pay it to Chretien. The partner then neglected to make any payments on he "Loan" and when Francois Beaudoin tried to call in the loan Chretien had him fired. When he went public Chretien set the RCMP to harrass and intimidate him. The RCMP raided his home an cottage more than once, and tried to get the Quebec crown to lay false charges. Quebec judge Andre Denis referred to the three years of hounding of Beaudoin by the RCMP and government as "an unspeakable injustice".

In my opinion that was worse than sponsorgate, for it involved the government using the RCMP to harrass and intimidate a political opponent. But the meek national press paid it little attention, and never condemned the RCMP for what they did.

Excellent post, Argus.

I don't know, but the RCMP overall do not have a good reputation for fighting organized crime. What was she doing when the mounties were violating people's civil rights out there in BC? Was she involved in that? How closely was she allied to Zackardelli. He sounds like a guy who would never promote anyone who didn't think like him and didn't obsequiously agree with everything he said. I think we need someone new from outside Zackardelli's orbit.