Partisan Trolling

Greg

• Forum Admin

I've received a few complaints over the past weeks about "partisan trolling." The complaints were that some members are not really interested in political discussion, but rather pursuing a particular partisan agenda. Now, if you read the Rules and Guidelines, we have a section on Trolling,

NO TROLLING/FLAMING

Do not post inflammatory remarks just to annoy people. If you are not bringing anything new to the argument, then do not say anything at all.

Some messages are not so much offensive as simply nuisance value. An example would be a person who persistently creates conflict without contributing anything useful. In newsgroup circles, such a person is known as a "troll". We define "trolling" as a message that serves no constructive purpose and is likely to cause offence or arguments. We define "annoying" as any message that results in a complaint from a registered user -- we will then decide whether to take action.

However, partisan trolling is difficult to monitor and even more difficult to stop. However, it's important that I address this issue now before it gets out of control. For those members who have been here awhile, you might remember that a few of the banned members where partisan trolls. I personally define a partisan troll as someone who:

• blindly accepts a political party as being always wrong, and or advocating one party as always being right.
  • posts/topics repeatedly take a negative tone towards one or more political parties.
  • as someone who refuses to address the larger issue, instead focusing on insignificant aspects of a particular political party.
  • someone who repeatedly makes generalizations about a particular political party or parties - e.g. Liberals are all corrupt, Conservatives are racist, New Democrats are Communists, etc.

If you have engaged in any of the above activities, I would suggest you alter your behaviour. The quality of this forums rides on everyone's ability to treat each other with respect.

Also note, everyone makes mistakes - I'm not interested in banning someone who lets their emotions get the best of them. If you're in a heated debate and or you just read something that makes your blood boil, sit back, relax, and get some composure before you level a assault against a political party (and anyone who happens to be a member of that party).

Remember, civility will get you a lot farther in this world (and this forum!) than anger and contempt.

However, partisan trolling is difficult to monitor and even more difficult to stop.
For those members who have been here awhile, you might remember that a few of the banned members where partisan trolls.

Funny how it wasn't a problem to ban these "partisan trolls" in the past, but seems to be more difficult now.

The quality of this forums rides on everyone's ability to treat each other with respect.

Expecting respect with some just won't happen, especially with answers like "What the #$#K?"

In the mean time the forum's quality will slowly head for the sewer.

We define "annoying" as any message that results in a complaint from a registered user -- we will then decide whether to take action.

"Action" is louder than words.

Deciding not to take action .....well.....that sends another message.

• Forum Admin
Greg, what safeguards are in place to keep in check people that register as to eliminate trollers and product peddlers?

Trolls are eliminated once a sufficient amount of complaints have been raised. Product peddlers are eliminated the second the thread/post is reported.

Spam is a fact of life - we'll never completed remove it from our lives. I don't see the big deal, a spammer manually registers (which is impossible to stop), and posts some spam, I come in and remove it within hours. The only thing that can be done to stop trolls and spammers is to manually approve each posting and thread.

Is that realistic?

• Forum Admin
I hope you mean a sufficient number of complaints judged to be valid ones.

Of course, the rules state clearly,

NO TROLLING/FLAMING

Do not post inflammatory remarks just to annoy people. If you are not bringing anything new to the argument, then do not say anything at all.

Some messages are not so much offensive as simply nuisance value. An example would be a person who persistently creates conflict without contributing anything useful. In newsgroup circles, such a person is known as a "troll". We define "trolling" as a message that serves no constructive purpose and is likely to cause offence or arguments. We define "annoying" as any message that results in a complaint from a registered user -- we will then decide whether to take action.

FORUM MODERATION AND CENSORSHIP

These forums are not a free-for-all discussion area. Maple Leaf Web operates these forums in the hopes that they will promote intelligent, honest and responsible discussion. If at any time the discussion cease to be "intelligent" and "responsible" then the discussion will be ended.

Mapleleafweb.com will attempt to monitor the content of the postings and reserves the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. We will also attempt to use this power judiciously and fairly, but our decisions are final.

If for some reason your post has been deleted and you were not notified, please feel free to contact the admin and request an explanation.

Trolls are eliminated once a sufficient amount of complaints have been raised.

To ban a poster based on complaints is unreasonable. How many times have we heard of such and such was not able to speak at such and such university because a certain group either booed, or rushed the stage. Free speech is supposedly guaranteed, I think in Canada also. That right should be reflected in privately run internet forums. If posters are banned by other posters, then there is a certain amount of inbreeding that results.

Trolls are eliminated once a sufficient amount of complaints have been raised.

To ban a poster based on complaints is unreasonable.

Agreed. One particular poster has admittedly complained to the mod about me a lot, and often the complaints are not legitimate (based on the public complaints).

I suspect it's a daunting job to go and inspect all of the posts surrounding such complaints to get the full context and recognize that the complainer is not raising anything valid or requiring action.

I suspect it's a daunting job to go and inspect all of the posts surrounding such complaints to get the full context and recognize that the complainer is not raising anything valid or requiring action.

I have never, nor has it ever occured to me to complain about a poster. In other forums I have participated, the moderators seem to appear. I just assumed they were reading all the posts. To complain to a moderator would be similar to telling the teacher, or Mom. Something similar to not being able to take care of oneself, and needing a grownup.

I have never, nor has it ever occured to me to complain about a poster. In other forums I have participated, the moderators seem to appear. I just assumed they were reading all the posts. To complain to a moderator would be similar to telling the teacher, or Mom. Something similar to not being able to take care of oneself, and needing a grownup.

If we had a school yard with bike racks to drop the gloves with, I wouldn't be compelled to report posters. Unfortunatley we can't kick it up a notch on the internet. I agree it's like being a tattle-tail (spelling on that one?) but there isn't another alternative when one poster is such a burden or annoyance.

How do you think things should be handled when things get personal?

How do you think things should be handled when things get personal?

Simply avoid the poster. Do not answer his posts, and say you will not. Or work together with other posters to hammer him. Tell him he is rude and out of bounds, or go toe to toe. Sometimes humor. But it is part of the fun of internet forums to play mental tennis.

Simply avoid the poster. Do not answer his posts, and say you will not. Or work together with other posters to hammer him. Tell him he is rude and out of bounds, or go toe to toe. Sometimes humor. But it is part of the fun of internet forums to play mental tennis.

I have placed some on ignore and don't respond to them. In some cases people PM you or try to harass you in other ways. It can get bad sometimes.

I have placed some on ignore and don't respond to them. In some cases people PM you or try to harass you in other ways. It can get bad sometimes.

I have not experienced that. It is nothing to get all that worked up over either. People's personalities come through, and a mental image is made. We have all met people with similar personalities in real life. Just as in real life, you deal with it or ignore it, only in cyber world you just turn off the electricity. I am not in favor of this banning thing though, especially if it is accompanied with complaints. Usually, things sort themselves out on their own. If no one talks with so and so, they get tired of talking to themselves, and leave on their own.

I have not experienced that. It is nothing to get all that worked up over either. People's personalities come through, and a mental image is made. We have all met people with similar personalities in real life. Just as in real life, you deal with it or ignore it, only in cyber world you just turn off the electricity. I am not in favor of this banning thing though, especially if it is accompanied with complaints. Usually, things sort themselves out on their own. If no one talks with so and so, they get tired of talking to themselves, and leave on their own.

I'm not familiar with the banning you speak of. Some things do definitely sort themselves out. Other times, it becomes a problem when the attacks turn to personal threats. I know that board owners can be held responsible for the actions of the people who use their site. Myspace in the U.S. has been under considerable legal and criminal investigations for not protecting its users.

I don't know that things have devolved to that point here at any time but a board owner probably have legal responsibilities in their mind when they ban someone.

Myspace in the U.S. has been under considerable legal and criminal investigations for not protecting its users.

I think myspace is where kids go, and can place pictures of themselves, or talk about how they are going to blow up their school. It is not exactly a forum of adults. Children are a protected group, sexually, and physically. To find someone, physically, from adult forum participation would be almost impossible.

As far as banning, I was told in another post that two were banned here last week.

I think what the owner of the board wants is profit. The profit comes from somewhere, I am not sure exactly how it works. Perhaps search engines. The usage of the board being the key. More hits more money. The owner is also under pressure to hold a clean board, but yet get hits.

I think what the owner of the board wants is profit. The profit comes from somewhere, I am not sure exactly how it works. Perhaps search engines. The usage of the board being the key. More hits more money. The owner is also under pressure to hold a clean board, but yet get hits.

So far as I know this site is operated from a univeristy as a public service. There are no profits involved. Rather the opposite, I expect.

So far as I know this site is operated from a univeristy as a public service. There are no profits involved. Rather the opposite, I expect.

This site is the quintessential of what Canadian universities do. Maybe it is a role in Canadian society that universities can provide. I sure as hell hope so. I would be damned if I would ever trust the politicians, the business wonks, or the press. Academia may be our final backstop. It is the first target of psycopathic governments, and that says a lot.

I think it is great that a university operates the site, but which university, and why not publicize it? Maybe interest future students to apply. I would think it would be something a university would NOT want to do. There is a no win for them. Uncovered cost, no direct student benefit, except maybe the site is run by students, no publicity. But if it were students running it, almost no moderator participation, a good experience for a student. It doesn't make sense.

OK you friigin idiot. It is a university somewhere between the BC and Saskatchewan border that has been designed to blend in with the friggin landscape. Does that help you, you friggin idiot?

No you hint did not help, but the link below did. Thanks gc1765.

BTW, it is not the first time I have been called an idiot here. Thanks for the compliment. It seems that idiot is one compliment which is not filtered by the software. I guess you know that because you do not attempt to hide its spelling. I know, that multidegree from top major universities thing.

OK you friigin idiot. It is a university somewhere between the BC and Saskatchewan border that has been designed to blend in with the friggin landscape. Does that help you, you friggin idiot?

No you hint did not help, but the link below did. Thanks gc1765.

BTW, it is not the first time I have been called an idiot here. Thanks for the compliment. It seems that idiot is one compliment which is not filtered by the software. I guess you know that because you do not attempt to hide its spelling. I know, that multidegree from top major universities thing.

Your pride is my delight.