Harper Impresses at the Francophonie Summit Bucharest

sharkman

In an opening address to the summit, Harper said only one sentense in english, made several important points, and impressed Chirac enough he was quoted as saying,"I'ts unanimous, we were all blown away by your speech and your french." The National Post had this quote, but so far none others I could find thought to include it, I wonder why?

Besides France, Canada is the major player at the summit, a group of nations who are mostly former French colonies. Harper stressed that the international community must do more to help countries like Sudan, Lebanon, Afghanistan and Haiti.

I say it's a nice change to have a PM who doesn't embarrass Canada like Chretien used to, but is a good statesman and ambassador for Canadian influence internationally. Chretien used to be more interested in ensuring everybody knew he didn't like the U.S. than doing anything of substance at such meetings and summits. It's still early, but Harper is again doing nothing to shoot himself in the foot when opportunities present themselves.

I say it's a nice change to have a PM who doesn't embarrass Canada like Chretien used to, but is a good statesman and ambassador for Canadian influence internationally. Chretien used to be more interested in ensuring everybody knew he didn't like the U.S. than doing anything of substance at such meetings and summits. It's still early, but Harper is again doing nothing to shoot himself in the foot when opportunities present themselves.

Harper seems like a different animal from most past Canadian PM's. While I will admit to almost total ignorance about Canada, I will say that the list of great Canadian PM's is extremely short. From the seancing and Jew-hating PM King to the past dithering, quivering piece of jello to the divisive (though well-spoken) Trudeau, many of your PM's seem to arrive with some serious drawbacks.

Harper may go down as a great PM if given a chance.

Well, can you name a great American president who was " perfect " ?

They say jfk was, but I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As far as our PMs go, we'll have to see what Harper could do with a majority before passing judgement. In some circles, if he hasn't delivered on his five priorities in the first 6 months, why he's just like all the rest! The truth is it takes a majority to be able to deliver or to really screw up.

As far as our PMs go, we'll have to see what Harper could do with a majority before passing judgement. In some circles, if he hasn't delivered on his five priorities in the first 6 months, why he's just like all the rest! The truth is it takes a majority to be able to deliver or to really screw up.

In some circles no matter what Harper does he's scary and evil.

Such is the nature of democracy.

Oh MDuffy sez there were still some criticisms about him in that summit. The news clip showed him go off-stage while the others were already lined up on-stage. He was huddling with his advisers.

Apparently Harper was not agreeable to the resolution that the Francophonie wanted to pass: acknowledging ONLY the Lebanese as the victims of this war.

Harper came back on-stage and voiced out his disagreement. He wants the Israelis to be included in the resolution. He went further to explain his stance. Chirac ended up agreeing with eveything he said.

Of course Stronach and Nash were cautiously treading ...but you could tell they were going to use it somehow to knock down Harper. They already mentioned the heavy casualties among the Lebanese.

But Helena Guergis (I like this Conservative gal...she knows how to whack Stronach) pointed out that this is not about being Lebanese or Israeli. This about being a casualty of war. That corked the two and they reluctantly conceded.

One thing stood out though: HARPER SHOWED AN ASSERTIVENESS AS A LEADER. Nothing can intimidate him...not even other dignitaries...from doing what he considers the right thing to do.

Considering he is the new kid on the block, Harper is not one to be pushed around by hardened veterans.

I find that quite impressive...and I am proud of him as my leader!

O

One thing stood out though: HARPER SHOWED AN ASSERTIVENESS AS A LEADER. Nothing can intimidate him...not even other dignitaries...from doing what he considers the right thing to do.

Considering he is the new kid on the block, Harper is not one to be pushed around by hardened veterans.

Me too, I was very pleased that he stood his ground on including Israel, it is about time we had a decisive PM and a fair one. He's looking better all the time.

O

Me too, I was very pleased that he stood his ground on including Israel, it is about time we had a decisive PM and a fair one. He's looking better all the time.

I'm not Canadian, but I'm proud of his, as a citizen of a Western country, as one of the leaders.

For all of their good points, I had heard that the Kennedy family had some sort of connection to the Mafia, not as part of it, but as have hading benefitted from it on some way that cast a shadow on their later actions... So there goes that theory...

Kennedy was not especially great. Just good compared to what came immediately before, and four Presidents after.

Yes, from what i've seen and heard Harper did himself proud. Now, how is he going to take on the US when it comes to the pollution coming across the border? The Northern waters, which I've read, US Congress wants more US boat up there and map out there future reserves, in the northwest passages. I wondering whose going to fire the first shot, if it gets heated up! They are as determined as we are over the waters in the north.

In an opening address to the summit, Harper said only one sentense in english, made several important points, and impressed Chirac enough he was quoted as saying,"I'ts unanimous, we were all blown away by your speech and your french." The National Post had this quote, but so far none others I could find thought to include it, I wonder why?

Besides France, Canada is the major player at the summit, a group of nations who are mostly former French colonies. Harper stressed that the international community must do more to help countries like Sudan, Lebanon, Afghanistan and Haiti.

I think Harper is doing an excellent job as PM, however I do have to question why Canada is attending the Franco-phoney in the first place, since Canada is for the most part NOT a French speaking nation. Less than 17% of Canadian's speak French,a nd that percentage has remained virtually unchanged since the introduction of Bilingualism more than 40 years ago.

With Stephen Harper is Bernard Lord FORMER Premier of New Bruwnswick HOORAY! HOORAY!, and why is he there? New Brunswick is Officially Bilingual in declaration only, the truth is that only a small percentage of NBer's speak French, and their much touted program of French Immersion that was supposed to put English and French students on a level playing field when competing for bilingual jobs upon graduation, has also proved by design to be an utter failure. Former Education Minister under Bernard Lord, Elvy Robichaud, himself and Acadian was quoted in the Telegraph Journal; "The French Immersion program in New Brunswick was not designed nor expected to produce fluently bilingual graduates." Since the many jobs which are advertised as bilingual require fluency, the vast majority of those taking French Immersion education fall far short of the fluency level requirement in the job advertisements.

What we need is for Canadian and New Brunswick politicians to spend time solving the woes of their own citizens instead of tarvelling every year to far off land pretending that Canad is a French speaking nation.

I say we fire the first shot, by starting a massive propaganda campaign in the US, paying ' respected ' members of their media to start hammering the administration on an unprovoked and underhanded sabotage of their neighbours to the north. As long as we plant the first and strongest image, we win.

Yes, from what i've seen and heard Harper did himself proud. Now, how is he going to take on the US when it comes to the pollution coming across the border? The Northern waters, which I've read, US Congress wants more US boat up there and map out there future reserves, in the northwest passages. I wondering whose going to fire the first shot, if it gets heated up! They are as determined as we are over the waters in the north.

Most likely the first volley will undoubtedly be DIPLOMATIC. I can't imagine Harper doing anything less for a start...having proven he's got class. Defintely nothing like the Liberal way of dealing with the US.

As a conservative MP said, if there is a problem with a neighbor you just don't go screaming on the street and hurling insults. He was referring to the US change of mind in delaying the border passports....and it turned out, Harper brought it out when he was in New York, and the Conservatives had had talks with certain US politicians.

Kennedy was not especially great. Just good compared to whta came immediately before, and four Presidents after.

Hard to say since he was gunned down.

His performance in his so-called "proud moment", the Cuban Missile Crisis, left much to be desired. Later history shows much of his conduct to be a "Comedy of Errors". The ultimate settlement was that the US withdrew from Turkey the missiles that motivated the Soviets to place the missiles in Cuba. Going back to square one is hardly a victory.

The remainder of his term was marked by drift, indecision and dithering. With regard to civil rights, he talked a good game, but barely promoted the Civil Rights Act. That took Johnson, a Southerner, to push. Ditto the Kennedy Tax Cut.

At his best he was telegenic and eloquent, much like Bill Clinton. The fact is that he accomplished little. His womanizing placed the country in great danger, though.

I think Harper is doing an excellent job as PM, however I do have to question why Canada is attending the Franco-phoney in the first place, since Canada is for the most part NOT a French speaking nation. Less than 17% of Canadian's speak French, and that percentage has remained virtually unchanged since the introduction of Bilingualism more than 40 years ago.

Many of the other attendees are barely French-speaking countries. Sudan? Greece? Egypt? Albania? Macedonia?

With Stephen Harper is Bernard Lord FORMER Premier of New Bruwnswick HOORAY! HOORAY!, and why is he there? New Brunswick is Officially Bilingual in declaration only.....

The Charter of Wrongs, No Rights and Selective Freedoms decrees that NB is bi-lingual.

His performance in his so-called "proud moment", the Cuban Missile Crisis, left much to be desired. Later history shows much of his conduct to be a "Comedy of Errors". The ultimate settlement was that the US withdrew from Turkey the missiles that motivated the Soviets to place the missiles in Cuba. Going back to square one is hardly a victory.

The remainder of his term was marked by drift, indecision and dithering. With regard to civil rights, he talked a good game, but barely promoted the Civil Rights Act. That took Johnson, a Southerner, to push. Ditto the Kennedy Tax Cut.

At his best he was telegenic and eloquent, much like Bill Clinton. The fact is that he accomplished little. His womanizing placed the country in great danger, though.

1961 to 1963 is little time to judge a President. I'll remember him for NASA, the Peace Corps, the speech in Berlin, initiating what became the Civil Rights Act. Yes, it was Kennedy that started that.

A great president? I can't say based on such a short tenure. He was influential on what was to come though.

1961 to 1963 is little time to judge a President. I'll remember him for NASA, the Peace Corps, the speech in Berlin, initiating what become the Civil Rights Act. Yes, it was Kennedy that started that.

A great president? I can't say based on such a short tenure. He was influential on what was to come though.

Remember him for what you will. But Bay of Pigs was a major, major f*ckup.

The Cuban Missile Crisis came a lot closer to nuclear war than necessary, in large part due to Kennedy's bravado.

Kennedy went very slow on civil rights, played a big role in getting the U.S. into 'Nam and made a number of mistakes in office. Yet is remembered as a great leader.

Poor Johnson did a lot to bring about civil rights, fought poverty with his Great Society program and did a lot to help education in the U.S. Unfortunately he was stuck with a real quagmire in 'Nam. Yet is thought of as a failed president.

The great philosopher Jules Winnfield said it best "Personality goes a long way...."

1961 to 1963 is little time to judge a President. I'll remember him for NASA, the Peace Corps, the speech in Berlin, initiating what become the Civil Rights Act. Yes, it was Kennedy that started that.

Remember him for what you will. But Bay of Pigs was a major, major f*ckup.

The Cuban Missile Crisis came a lot closer to nuclear war than necessary, in large part due to Kennedy's bravado.

Kennedy went very slow on civil rights, played a big role in getting the U.S. into 'Nam and made a number of mistakes in office. Yet is remembered as a great leader.

Poor Johnson did a lot to bring about civil rights, fought poverty with his Great Society program and did a lot to help education in the U.S. Unfortunately he was stuck with a real quagmire in 'Nam. Yet is thought of as a failed president.

The great philosopher Jules Winnfield said it best "Personality goes a long way...."

For a Canadian, that's a great summary, and goes along with my views. During the early 1960's, the US was ready for a young, seemingly vigorous President. Like much of the country (remember this was the Baby Boom) the vigorous husband, with a young glamorous housewife, and a few babies thrown in, were a large part of America's self-image. This was the age of "Leave it to Beaver".

The prior President was aged, feeble and in obviously poor health. His personality, image, and "Camelot" type royal court held at the White House had America in its thrall. It was all froth, no substance. Unfortunately, the alternative, Richard Milhous Nixon, proved far, far worse.

Chretien never embarrassed Canada.

Or are you referencing his impediment?

It may come as a shock to you, but I have learned from two highly reliable sources who personally know people who have spoken with Chretien privately that he could speak impeccable English. His "impediment" was an affect to promote his image as a peasant from Shawinigan as against his real identity as a scheming, sophisticated lawyer.

Jimmy Carter did the same thing, i.e. promoting himself as a "peanut farmer from Plains, Georgia", using his buffoonish brother Billy as his foil.

It may come as a shock to you, but I have learned from two highly reliable sources who personally know people who have spoken with Chretien privately that he could speak impeccable English. His "impediment" was an affect to promote his image as a peasant from Shawinigan as against his real identity as a scheming, sophisticated lawyer.

No, that doesn't shock me at all. The rightwing is always making up crazy sh1t like that.

Keep us updated on your "two highly reliable sources" who "personally know people" who have "spoken to Chretien privately". lol.

Yeah, Adscam and Peppergate to name just two incidents were of no consquence internationally. Neither was his admonition to G-8 leaders to do it his way and follow Canada in running an economy.

Chretien, by the way, could speak in very articulate and clear English when he chose to do so he often did at dinner speaking engagements. The personna he projected when in front of national audiences was quite different.

Yeah, Adscam and Peppergate to name just two incidents were of no consquence internationally. Neither was his admonition to G-8 leaders to do it his way and follow Canada in running an economy.

Chretien, by the way, could speak in very articulate and clear English when he chose to do so he often did at dinner speaking engagements. The personna he projected when in front of national audiences was quite different.

Wow, that is pathetic. I think even less of him now. I know he never let a chance go by to stick it to someone he didn't like, like staying in office for two more years just to stick it to Martin, but this is a new low. Harper is a different animal by far, imagine a politician who does what he says.