Was Brian Mulroney a Crook?

Mulroney a Crook?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure why this gov't should be investigating a former PM, unless they intend to investigate all of the other shady dealers. The last time the Liberals tried this tack, it cost Canadian taxpayers $2.1-million, for nothing.

Actually, Mulroney is a private citizen and not part of this government, so any questions

about allegations made by one person of another in a civil case are inappropriate in the House.

The conservatives should respectfully decline to take the bait being offered by scandal mongering skanks.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made a point of saying that I do not like Mulroney or what he did in his last years as PM. I do believe that he proabably was involved in many underhanded deals, that probably paid him much money and position in his retirement. So yes, I think Canada was wrong not to have taken further steps and find out all it could, so charges could be brought against him. For want of a better method, we have not only given him a pass on this, but we even paid him for his trouble during the investigation. For that reason alone I am not happy that Harper would use this man as an advisor, but that is not my decision to make. I would feel no loss about Mulroney being found guilty of any of this and jailed accordingly. In fact that would make me happier then I am today.

I do however support Harper and the CPC, and in no way would anything to do with Mulroney would have any repercussions back to the CPC, even in a small way. But what would make me happy, would be exactly what Harper hinted about, and that is, if the opposition wants to make much about this, and demand Harper to investigate a former PM and his party, he would also have to investigate Chretien, Martin, and the Liberal party for all the wrong doings they have done as well. I think this is a great idea, and it is something that I believe most CPC supporters would get behind, as well as the general public as well. To me this would make Harper a sure King of all. He would sweep clean and bring all dirt to the front and in public. That is what the people would be willing to spend their tax dollars on this type of inquirey.

As for Mulroney being a crook, I say by my own view that yes he was, and therefore still is a crook, and he should not be allowed to get away with flouting the laws of Canada. I also say the same thing for Chretien and Martin, and most of the grassroots liberla party. Their is more then enough cause and reason to have this type of inquirey on all of these people and organizations, so lets appoint someone to head this and go forward. I do know thought that the biggest losers will be Liberals, and that does make me want to do this more then ever. I am sure that most people here would also support this. That is why the Liberals right now are doing all they can to support Harper no matter what, because soon if the Liberal party keeps teraing itself apart, it will come out to the light of day and then there will be no stopping it.

None the less, court case after court case has vindicated Mulroney. One day, the left will just have to give up and realise that not all PM's are crooked as their own.

Relentlessly pursuing Mulroney has been costly for Canadians so far. When do we say enough is enough?

One day the right will have to realize that Mulroney's testimony is evasive, incomplete and misleading. Any prime minister who receives cash in envelopes when he specifically was involved in legislation to track such transactions should have known better. The fact that he waited as long as he did to claim the money on his taxes is extremely curious.

Enough is enough when it is found out if the taxpayer money to settle with Mulroney was paid out based on information that Mulroney withheld from the RCMP.

None the less, court case after court case has vindicated Mulroney. One day, the left will just have to give up and realise that not all PM's are crooked as their own.
A former PM accepts 300K in cash. That stinks to high heaven no matter what the courts have to say. Mulroney owes the country a complete explanation.
Relentlessly pursuing Mulroney has been costly for Canadians so far. When do we say enough is enough?
Mulroney stated under oath that he did not know Schreiber yet it now appears that he did. I would like to know why the RCMP is not pursuing perjury charges. There is also the issue of how he got 300K in cash across the border without declaring it.

I don't believe this issue requires a public inquiry, however, there are serious questions that need to be answered. That said, the RCMP needs to be freed of any political interference and allowed to lay charges (or not) as they see fit.

Edited by Riverwind

Not sure why this gov't should be investigating a former PM, unless they intend to investigate all of the other shady dealers. The last time the Liberals tried this tack, it cost Canadian taxpayers $2.1-million, for nothing.

Actually, Mulroney is a private citizen and not part of this government, so any questions

about allegations made by one person of another in a civil case are inappropriate in the House.

The conservatives should respectfully decline to take the bait being offered by scandal mongering skanks.

LOL what are you doing injecting common sense into the lefts wet dream of having a Conservative Scandle that isn't a scandle debated in public. Will they never tire of spending and wasting our taxdollars, nope not even when they are the official opposition do they lead with good governance. They appear to be doing the Funky Chicken, it would be funny if they were doing it at a dance or wedding but it's not appropriate in Parliment.

During Brian's reign, brown bags were not for lunches. It was part and parcel of the culture of the pigs at the trough, times have changed now they called it "Grants to Multicultural Arts Programs".

I hired a retired electrician to do a major panel change, he's not declairing the income and I'm not deducting it as a business expense. Will the police be showing up anytime soon because I spent my money on the underground economy??? Tiss a non-issue, well unless you are a desperate Liberal.

Note to the left: If you are going to sling mud at a innocent target, wet the damn dirt first. Sand slides right off innocent targets.

I cant wait to use this and will through my whole election campaign !!!

Inquiry them all,,,,buy one less tank to be blown up in Afghanistan!!!

Yes this is a major issue and one that will be incredibly costly in my riding.

I have written the GREEN leadership asking we pursue a full inquiry and can not believe how stupid Harper must think Canadians are,,,who cares about the liberals and Harper looks like a willing accomplice to that CRIMINAL mulroney!!!

I don't believe this issue requires a public inquiry, however, there are serious questions that need to be answered. That said, the RCMP needs to be freed of any political interference and allowed to lay charges (or not) as they see fit.

I tend to agree somewhat...Mulroney should speak up and clear the air. However, conservatives shouldn`t take the bait, it`s a civil matter, and after all, the Liberals are empty, they have nothing to offer so can only sling mud and use fear and smear tactics.

It appears that the Tories are doing everything they can to avoid briefings on Mulroney and Airbus.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...07?hub=Politics

he Conservative government did not read briefing material prepared by the Justice Department on the Airbus affair and cash payments to Brian Mulroney, documents suggest.

Government papers obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act reveal the secrecy and sensitivity with which the Conservatives are handling the matter.

The Tories are under pressure to investigate Mulroney's financial dealings following new details about $300,000 he received from businessman Karlheinz Schreiber, who was tied to Airbus.

Mulroney says the cash was unrelated to the Airbus affair, which involved allegations of a bribery scheme in the government's purchase of 34 planes.

Notes drafted for the Conservatives by bureaucrats point out that briefing material on Airbus and Mulroney was prepared in 2006 and 2007, but that it never made it to the desk of the current or former justice minister.

The opposition says the bureaucrats appear to have gone out of their way to produce a paper trail that implies they tried to raise Airbus with the Conservatives -- but had no success.

The statement that there was no briefing is written several times, and phrased in different ways, in notes produced by the department for Justice Minister Rob Nicholson.

"Some briefing material was prepared by the Department of Justice on this issue on a pro-active basis,'' says a note from January 2007.

"It was not distributed further than the senior officials within the department.''

The same note offers Nicholson a possible response to any questions about Airbus: "Neither I nor my predecessor, the Honourable Vic Toews, received any briefing material related to this issue.''

Internal e-mails, also obtained under the Access to Information Act, suggest that even those seemingly innocuous messages may never have made it to Nicholson's desk.

Bureaucrats at justice were informed: "A decision has been made to the effect that this note will not be distributed to the minister's office.''

Correspondence records show that one bureaucrat suggested to his political bosses that they remain silent to avoid adding "fuel'' to the scandal.

Conservative government officials offered no immediate response to whether Nicholson subsequently request a briefing and if not, why not?

I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't matter when things happen. Take air india for ex.

That was something the Tories tried to postpone in terms of an investigation as well. Mulroney seemed to think it was an Indian problem rather than thinking about it being a crime that took place on Canadian soil.

That was something the Tories tried to postpone in terms of an investigation as well. Mulroney seemed to think it was an Indian problem rather than thinking about it being a crime that took place on Canadian soil.

I think that the truth about this whole thing should be revealed by Mulroney to put it all to rest.

Is the US still investigating Watergate?

As far as Air India, what does that have to do with the government?

If Watergate still had outstanding issues, I fully expect the U.S. would look into it.

As for Air India, since you are a New York lawyer who doesn't know much about Canada, I'd expect that you wouldn't know about this either.

If Watergate still had outstanding issues, I fully expect the U.S. would look into it.

As for Air India, since you are a New York lawyer who doesn't know much about Canada, I'd expect that you wouldn't know about this either.

I don't ask what I know about. What does Air India (the crash) have to do with the PCPC?

I don't ask what I know about. What does Air India (the crash) have to do with the PCPC?

Mulroney didn't regard the Air India or the Canadian Pacific bombings to be a crime that originally took place on Canadian soil. The government had been warned that someone was planning to bomb aircraft in Canada and did not react to prevent it. Moreover, in the aftermath, the government didn't do enough to secure the data that would have secured convictions of those involved. They let the data be destroyed.

An investigation was warranted and should have taken place in the 1980s.

As for whether Mulroney was a crook goes. I thing he is and yes I think he did some of this while he was PM. He also is guilty of the same type of arrogance that Trudeau had when he left politics, and also damaged the party he was part of.

As for the deallings he did after he left politics goes, that is totally different and if the RCMP decide to open this up and investigate it then that would have my OK. But as far as having judical inquiries about what he did while a normal businessman, that is just way over the mark. It also puts a very large deep pocket to strike back at and get compensation, if things again can not be proven wrong, and reputation damaged. Harper is correct in saying he is not about to risk that. Now maybe the Liberal party would like to fund this and if they are wrong they can then be sued for tarnishing Mulroney. I think if done right they may succeed in making him the villain, but this would be a search and destroy type case, and if it fails the costs of several million should come directly from the pockets of the party that wants this to go ahead.

After the last time where the taxpayers had to cough up and this time, is there really enough of a change tpo warrant a criminal charge? If so then why has the RCMP not done so as that would be their job. If they do not think it has changed enough to warrant charges, then why are the political opposition trying to start inquiries that cost million for a fishing mission. I am not sure, but if as has been reported that Mulroney did eventually pay taxes on this amount, the government would have gotten the lions share of it with interests and penalties, so why are we again looking at wasting more money in this. As I said above, let the opposition run their own investigation at their own expense, and also their own liability, if it again tarnishes without cause Mulroney's reputation.

Mulroney didn't regard the Air India or the Canadian Pacific bombings to be a crime that originally took place on Canadian soil. The government had been warned that someone was planning to bomb aircraft in Canada and did not react to prevent it. Moreover, in the aftermath, the government didn't do enough to secure the data that would have secured convictions of those involved. They let the data be destroyed.

An investigation was warranted and should have taken place in the 1980s.

Frankly, I suspect all Western governments are turning an appeasing blind eye to the efforts of Third World non-governmental entities (and some governments) as well as immigrants to bring their home-grown strife here. While I am no "polynewbie" I often, in weaker moments, wonder if the US to some extent kept deaf to things they didn't want to hear with the WTC.

Mulroney was not the only offender in not wishing to import Indian Subcontinent hatreds to Canada. Unfortunately, as the National Post article (link to article, excerpts below) points out, the Liberals are equally guilty of ignoring obvious wrongdoing occurring in North America. Excerpts below:

The Liberals' LTTE disgrace

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

No one plays ethnopolitics like the federal Liberals. Before anyone else, the Liberals realized that urban politics in this country was increasingly dominated by well-organized immigrant groups that could be counted upon to deliver targeted ridings, decide nomination battles and provide campaign contributions. Nowhere has this phenomenon of ethno-politics played out more flagrantly, and disgracefully, than in the eastern reaches of Toronto, where militant Tamils from Sri Lanka have turned the federal Liberals into full-blown apologists for terrorism.

For more than two decades, the Tamil Tigers (known by the acronym LTTE) have been fighting an on-again, off-again war against Sri Lanka's government. The campaign was originally inspired by the inequitable treatment of Sri Lanka's largely Hindu Tamil minority by the largely Buddhist Sinhalese majority. But the LTTE was soon transformed into a bloodthirsty personality cult led by Velupillai Prabhakaran. Under Prabhakaran's leadership, the Tigers have abducted thousands of children to act as soldiers, assassinated heads of government in both Sri Lanka and India and sent out waves of "Black Tiger" suicide squads. He is a vicious terrorist who has almost single-handedly destroyed northern Sri Lanka, turning what might otherwise be a prosperous island economy into a militarized personal fiefdom.

And yet the Liberals, under both Jean Chretien and Paul Mar-tin, were so desperate to mollify Tamil voters in eastern Toronto that they consistently refused to place the LTTE on our country's official list of banned terrorist groups. We still remember the sad spectacle of then-justice minister Irwin Cotler explaining this cynical policy when he came into the National Post for a 2005 editorial board meeting. ("The Sri Lankans who are living in Canada are ... Tamils, for the most part, I'd say about 80%," the otherwise principled enemy of terrorism told us. "And you know, Toronto I think has the largest number of Tamils in the Tamil diaspora than anywhere else outside of Sri Lanka, so we've got to be very careful just in terms of our own relationships.")

As a result of this, fundraising for Tamil Tiger terrorist operations remained entirely legal under the Liberals -- even after 9/11, when the world awoke to the true threat posed by mass terrorism. It was only when the Conservatives came into power that this country reversed its shameful policy. Stephen Harper's display of courage in this area is one of his most under-reported achievements.

Yet the Liberals are still trying to ingratiate themselves with Tamil extremists. On Friday, the Sri Lankan air force killed the LTTE's second in command --Prabhakaran's former personal bodyguard, S.P. Thamilchelvan -- as well as about a half dozen other leaders of the terrorist group. On Monday, thousands of Canadian Tamils travelled to a Markham, Ont., fairground to pay honour to the man, doing their best to emphasize his role as chief negotiator in the unsuccessful peace negotiations the LTTE has occasionally conducted.

Several Liberal MPs also were present -- despite Thamilchelvan's status as a senior henchman in an outfit this country has officially designated as a terrorist organization. These included Borys Wrzesnewskyj, MP for Etobicoke Centre, and Jim Karygiannis, MP for Scarborough-Agincourt, who both made speeches. Appallingly, Mr. Karygiannis (who has been known to hoist the LTTE flag at Toronto-area Tamil events) said he wanted "to show solidarity with my constituents, both Sinhalese and Tamils."

(snip)
Edited by jbg

Frankly, I suspect all Western governments are turning an appeasing blind eye to the efforts of Third World non-governmental entities (and some governments) as well as immigrants to bring their home-grown strife here. While I am no "polynewbie" I often, in weaker moments, wonder if the US to some extent kept deaf to things they didn't want to hear with the WTC.

Mulroney was not the only offender in not wishing to import Indian Subcontinent hatreds to Canada. Unfortunately, as the National Post article (link to article, excerpts below) points out, the Liberals are equally guilty of ignoring obvious wrongdoing occurring in North America.

I cant read any of the blue lettering. I'm not sure what terrorism originating from Canada that you are referring to.

Mulroney just didn't get that the worst case of terrorism originating from Canada was a Canadian crime. We had to wait until now to actually find out what happened back then.

Edited by jdobbin

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has reversed course and announced a probe into dealings between Brian Mulroney and Karlheinz Schreiber.

Harper said the inquiry will look into the former prime minister's relationship with Schreiber.

The move comes in the wake of Liberal demands for an inquiry amid fresh allegations involving $300,000 paid to Mulroney by Schreiber.

Schreiber says the money was in connection with the Airbus affair _ a claim Mulroney denies.

In court papers filed Thursday, Schreiber drew Harper into the fray for the first time, claiming Mulroney was to meet with the prime minister last summer to discuss the matter.

Harper flatly denied the claim.

Quite a change in attitude.

EDIT

This was the Opening Post of a thread: Harper Announces Investigation into Mulroney-Schreiber and has now been merged into this currently active thread that discusses the same matter.

Edited by Charles Anthony
redundant thread; merged with active thread

Quite a change in attitude.

I suppose if there is enough new evidence, one has to move on it.

I have to often wonder, was Mulroney wise to release the book? It seems that all this unwanted attention started about the same time. Would a criminal really want his name and face smiling at you in every Chapters isle? I'm not sure. I'm not sure what to think on the matter. Does Mulroney grabbing the spotlight back vindicate him, or is he simply just a camera loving guy?

Not sure at all.

I know if I took bribes as PM, I'd probably take my money and be quiet.