Was Brian Mulroney a Crook?

Mulroney a Crook?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect and I would say its because of my history but I really believe its because he was a boozer.

Alcohol disease and released inhibitions.

I honestly think more self reflection helps people and would on their 18th birthday sit down and smoke a joint with all people just to guarantee extending their life by starting some self awareness and sense of ones self.

I haven't spoken to you before and you may not read my threads but I deal with things like what is happening with alternative medicines all over the world , a hobby.

Like administering LSD for terminally ill patients with very marked improvements in their fate and resulting in a much more utilized final time of life.

Major differences with people and even some stories of healing.

Even the CBC has done some work reporting it , maybe Google if you know anyone gravely ill.

There is a lot out there that isn't being addressed and I am also fighting for our rights to die with dignity because that's a big one we should be dealing with.

Any way sorry to drift here , yes it is sad we have people only about themselves.

I didn't notice that you had already started a thread on it today, though I did check first I missed your post somehow. Now about your comments for that devilish smirk, yes I too have noticed it on Harper and this news comes at a bad time for him to be schmoozing with his big old pal! But good for threst of us, who want to see Mulroney outed and for the Harperites to go away, so we can get on with the real business of running this country.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/10/31/...-schreiber.html

The government should treat this no less vigourlessly than they treated Shawinigate......keeping an eye that Mulroney might have won a lawsuit fraudently.

So far the only evidence is a statement from an admitted perjorer. Not sure how his claim that Mulroney took money AFTER he left office to help him establish a factory and a "pasta business" has anything to do with the earlier allegations regarding Airbus, though.

I too have a lot of trouble connecting this event to the "Airbus Scandel" for which rightly or wrongly, Mulrony has been vindicated. The issue here, as the CBC says, started in June, 1993 - immediately after Mulroney left office. Having said that, as a former PM, it's pretty stupid to get mixed up with an unsavoury character like Schreiber.

At very best light it would seem Mulroney was negligent in telling Rev can his income was 300,000 more than he declared previously......

.....that's how they got Scarface Capone....

TORONTO — Former prime minister Brian Mulroney, who received $300,000 in cash from German-Canadian deal maker Karlheinz Schreiber in 1993 and 1994, did not pay taxes on the payments in the years he received the money
So far the only evidence is a statement from an admitted perjorer.-Argus
He had stated under oath that he only met Mr. Schreiber “once or twice†for coffee, the Mounties were still on the case and now a journalist was sniffing around the still-secret cash payments

Maybe more than one perjorer....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

So this is new information, not some variety of old that's been floating around in one form or another?

Doesn't this mean if he received more income that year than he claimed, he would pay the additional that he owes, plus maybe a penalty. Not surprised that the CBC is all over this though, they've been grinding an axe for Mulroney for a long time. This doesn't sound near as bad as what Chretien did IMO.

At very best light it would seem Mulroney was negligent in telling Rev can his income was 300,000 more than he declared previously......

.....that's how they got Scarface Capone....

Maybe more than one perjorer....

I think an judicial inquiry would be appropriate but I doubt it will happen as long as the Tories ridicule the idea in Parliament like they are now. Certainly Mulroney was doing more just have having coffee if he was getting paid $300,000. This isn't something that he told the RCMP at the time.

I think an judicial inquiry would be appropriate but I doubt it will happen as long as the Tories ridicule the idea in Parliament like they are now. Certainly Mulroney was doing more just have having coffee if he was getting paid $300,000. This isn't something that he told the RCMP at the time.

It doesn't really matter what he was doing for the money. A prime minister getting money of this magnitude from someone is a big deal. You have to ask, who else had this guy on their payroll? What was NAFTA all about? The problem is that you have to take the word of a rather dodgey character to believe it. I have never liked Mulroney, but I sure hope somebody has some evidence for all of this because this is a really ugly mess for our democracy. How can we shake our fingers at anybody else over governance issues?

Here is another link about this .

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/moneytruthandspin/

"In his testimony Brian Mulroney did not mention that he received $300,000 in cash from Karlheinz Schreiber. "

Gee, thats convenient. Is that like a lie of ommission? No ambiguity there either in that statement.

Also it appears that by law, anyone who retroactively files for unclaimed income in previous years, but was under investigation by the government for tax evasion during that time period must explain in detail how the money was acquired, and why they did not claim it in the first place. If there was no investigation, there's no problem filing retroactively. So, it seems like a bit of a double-standard for the special people in high places to get away with it.

The problem is that you have to take the word of a rather dodgey character to believe it. I have never liked Mulroney, but I sure hope somebody has some evidence for all of this because this is a really ugly mess for our democracy. How can we shake our fingers at anybody else over governance issues?

There is the rub.

The Liberals launched their investigation of Mulroney simply on Schreiber's word. They were over-zealous in their investigation. That's why Mulroney won his lawsuit.

There is the rub.

The Liberals launched their investigation of Mulroney simply on Schreiber's word. They were over-zealous in their investigation. That's why Mulroney won his lawsuit.

And who paid for this miscarriage of justice.....the Liberal party? or was it the taxpayer.....as usual with the Libs.

And who paid for this miscarriage of justice.....the Liberal party? or was it the taxpayer.....as usual with the Libs.

Yup, the fact that the anti-conservative crowd CBC is pushing this story 14 years and millions of taxpayer dollars later is telling. How soon until Avi Lewis does a fair and balanced piece on this non-story. :lol:

Edited by Michael Bluth

Yup, the fact that the anti-conservative crowd CBC is pushing this story 14 years and millions of taxpayer dollars later is telling. How soon until Avi Lewis does a fair and balanced piece on this non-story. :lol:

Chretien's involvement with the golf course/hotel affair, a crooked arsonist of a friend who owned the hotel, and his pressuring and eventually firing Francois Beaudoin for trying to cancel the loan are far shadier and smellier than anything Mulroney ever did, but you don't see much interest from the Canadian media in dredging up that story.

Chretien's involvement with the golf course/hotel affair, a crooked arsonist of a friend who owned the hotel, and his pressuring and eventually firing Francois Beaudoin for trying to cancel the loan are far shadier and smellier than anything Mulroney ever did, but you don't see much interest from the Canadian media in dredging up that story.

No of course....the inquiry and trials were never covered..... :lol:

Just saw the last 15 minutes of Fifth Estate and this fraud artist Schreiber. I wonder if Mulroney will sue CBC now. Schreiber is in jail in Toronto awaiting extradition to Germany. He says he's not going because they'll put him in jail for 8 years and that will be like a death sentence. He says he's staying here.....and you can bet that he will say anything that will keep him here - like requesting an official Inquiry - which is what his lawyer is trying to do. The whole thing smells. CBC is on very thin ice in constructing this whole story on the basis of this con-artist's "word" - but I guess that's not surprising - they still are wondering what to do now that the Liberals are out of power.

And now the questiona are, Brian, what did you happen to do with all that CASH?

A retired Mountie who helped write the Mulroney-era legislation that toughened up cash reporting requirements said it is "almost unbelievable" that former prime minister Brian Mulroney accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash from German-Canadian dealmaker Karlheinz Schreiber.

Bruce Bowie, a retired RCMP inspector, was appointed by the federal government in the late 1980s to help write Canada's Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) Act, a set of regulations that required banks, credit unions and other financial institutions to ask questions and retain records of customers who brought in more than $10,000 cash.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...al_gam_mostview

I'm sure, if it is true, that Mulroney isn't stupid enough to try to deposit it in a Canadian bank. It, again if its true, is sitting in the Caymans or Switzerland.

I know a lawyer...okay, ex lawyer....who was/is pals of several big political hitters. RCMP suspected he was laundering money for some folks....but they thought he was too smart to get caught easily. In fact, he was so smart he became very smug about it. when the RCMP set him up. he took the bait and to the effect, with his credentials and friends, he was virtually untouchable.

The Crown Prosecuter thought otherwise.

Point being, just because you are smart doesn't rule out stupid mistakes.

surprising few hits, nothing of substance as regards to money laundering. If I remember correctly he was a member of the Conservative party during Mulroneys tenure?

Could be. He was a fund raiser. At his trial his character witnesses read like a who's who Julian fantino......

His defense was he was drinking heavily and abusing presciption drugs....I can vouch for the drinking, having seen him quaff a litre of white in less than a half hour.

...just checked Google.....the stories about the trial must be in deep archive...there was quite a bit of ink on it as it was front page star news.....

All that comes up now is:

the case of former prosecutor and Conservative Party organizer, Peter Shonicker, convicted money launderer, and a host of other cases,

http://www.torontolife.com/blog/conrad-bla...ve-discussion3/

Which is odd cause, the story is less tan two years old.