Who Hates the USA?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always assumed that Canada uses a totally different language closer to Sanskrit or Swahili.

It will take at least a couple more Liberal terms to accomplish that. Get a grip on reality J.

We are actually telepathic.

:lol:

Yes, it's true. I'm sending out a message to my fellow Canadians right at this moment.

Only half of us got it as it was sent in Chinese.

• 4 weeks later...

Anti Amercan sentiment has been around since at least the 1860's. Sir John A MacDonald once said "We will have no truck nor trade with the Yankees." At the time he made this quote the Conservative government was responding to Liberal accusations that the Conservatives were going to sign a trade agreement with the United States that would remove Britain as Canadas chief trading partner.

The MacDonald Conservatives were also afraid of American expansionist policies. They saw the American westward migration as a threat to Canadian ambitions in Ruperts Land (now Manitoba, Albert and Saskatchewan). To counter this threat they hired American William Van Horne to buil the Canadian Pacific Railway.

• 2 months later...
...I never could understand why America didn't go metric in the 70s when we did.

The USA signed a treaty* - promising that they would be COMPLETELY metric by 1985**. One of over 3,000 treaties that America signed, yet didn't live up to. Now, America is holding-up the WORLD with it's Imperial"feet & inches", while the rest of the planet is metric.

* the treaty was the Metric Conversion Act of 1975, calling for voluntary conversion. (A 10-year deadline was included in the original bill, but the USA keeps amending it for themselves.)

** Although the use of metric measurement standards in the United States has been authorized by law since 1866 (Act of July 28, 1866), this Nation today is the only industrially developed nation which has not established a national policy of committing itself and taking steps to facilitate conversion to the metric system.

Speaking of the metric system, and how "BAD" it is, when you ask ANY American about:

Q: What size engine does your car have in it?

A: 2.4 (that's LITERS)

Q: What about your motorcycle?

A: It's a 750 (that's cc - Cubic CENTIMETERS)

Q: How much Carbs did you ingest yesterday?

A: 10 grams (that's GRAMS)

Q: What is the typical dose of aspirin?

A: 100 mg (that's MilliGRAMS)

Q: How much Cocaine did they seize in the last drug raid?

A: "Mondo Kilos"! (that's KILOGRAMS)

Let's not forget that ALL Professional cameras are 35mm (MILLIMETERS)

Super-8 film? 8 MILLIMETERS

HI-8 tape? 8 MILLIMETERS

That 9mm Pistol pistol [illegally] in your glove box? That's 9 MILLIMETERS

All food content is in MILLIGRAMS

All prescriptions are in MILLIGRAMS

Oh, and let's not forget the biggest one: The big, baaaaaad US MILITARY is completely Metric. Go ahead - check it out - ask any service person.

I just *have* to add: Look up the US definition of "Calorie" - you'll find that it's: "The quantity of thermal energy required to raise one gram of water 1°C at 15°C." That's GRAMS and CELCIUS.

And the real topper - Americans EMBRACE computer trend of Mega, Giga, Terra... those are METRIC.

So you see - the USA uses the metric system!

It is also noteworthy to add: Americans changed the driving side of the coach (horse & buggy) to the LEFT side - to rebel against England's RIGHT-side driver. Funny - they didn't rebel against the king's unit of measure!!

I always assumed that Canada uses a totally different language closer to Sanskrit or Swahili.

Yes - and we Canadians live in Igloos, use dogsleds, and it's frozen year-round, ey?

Well, they don't teach this in American Schools, but...

Although an Igloo is actually a temporary hunting shelter - VERY sturdy. The Unuit (you call them "Eskimos", but that's a derogatory word - like "Nigger") build them when hunting on ice, but the rest of Canada (BC, Alberta, Manitoba, etc) began using GSM mobile phones wen the USA was using the ancient TDMA network. NAIT (our version of MIT) sends Teachers down to the USA to teach *your* technicians their trades. No lie!

Although the C temp scale (stands for "Celcius", as "Centigrade" is way outdated) is used up here, most Americans think that - because it's usually below 40 here (40 is equal to 104º F), they think it is 40 F (pretty chilly!)

Remember, Fahrenheit was invented in 1714 (by a German) - based on SALT water freezing - and boiling - at 1,272 ft. It has been argued that Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit picked his temperature scale by making 0 degrees the coldest outdoor temperature he could find in his town, and making 100 degrees the temperature of his own body. Yeah - let's all use THAT scale in modern 21st century!! I'll use that, and my TRS-80 computer.

Celcius was invented by Anders Celsius, a Swedish astronomer, used the freezing point of fresh water at sea level as 0 and the boiling point as 100. For a long time, the Celsius scale was called "centigrade." The Greek prefix "centi" means one-hundredth and each degree Celsius is one-hundredth of the way between the temperatures of freezing and boiling for water.

ANYway, there's the "Swahili" Canadians speak. :-)

Remember, Fahrenheit was invented in 1714 (by a German) - based on SALT water freezing - and boiling - at 1,272 ft. It has been argued that Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit picked his temperature scale by making 0 degrees the coldest outdoor temperature he could find in his town, and making 100 degrees the temperature of his own body. Yeah - let's all use THAT scale in modern 21st century!! I'll use that, and my TRS-80 computer.

I think 'MC Squared' was chosen because of your intense interest in math, and a perfect world. I would like to give you my take. First, I think the Fahrenheit scale does have an advantage over the Celcius for air temperature. Seldom does the air temperature get below zero in the F scale, so you do not usually have to go into negative numbers when the temperature is below freezing. Also, the scale is broader in scope so a degree in the F scale is almost like a half a degree in the C scale which I think is more informative.

Second, the measurement used in the US hardly effects the rest of the world. Stuff imported here will will not be modified to our measurements like cars. A German car will have metric bolts. A country should have the right to be different. Canada loves its uniqueness, yet a Canadian blasts the US for not conforming.

This thread Who Hates the USA is about a year old, and had faded away. It must have struck some cord with MC Squared to make his first two posts on it. BTW, I never knew Eskimo was a term equal to nigger. Eskimo, nigger, and Injun are banned words. Worse than swearing.

Second, the measurement used in the US hardly effects the rest of the world. Stuff imported here will will not be modified to our measurements like cars. A German car will have metric bolts. A country should have the right to be different. Canada loves its uniqueness, yet a Canadian blasts the US for not conforming.

North American cars have been using metric hardware for at least 20 years that I know of.

The one big thing that hasn't changed on either side of the border is building materials. We still measure such things as lumber, plywood, hardware, plumbing in feet and inches. We still buy 2x4's, 4x8 sheets, 3 inch nails and bolts and 1/2 inch pipe. Wiring is sized by gauge.

Where then, Whitedoors, do the scientists that NASA hires (from Canada) get their educations? You know "brain drain" and all that... IF our Canadian scientists didn't have top notch educations I doubt if NASA would hire them.

And the real topper - Americans EMBRACE computer trend of Mega, Giga, Terra... those are METRIC.

So you see - the USA uses the metric system!

The U.S. like any other country has ALWAYS used universal scientific notation and metric in the scientific field.

So what does it matter what system the little guy uses for every day use.

For all practical matters the Imperial system works fine.

In Canada it was the Liberals (who favour European tradition, especially from France) who latched on to metric knowing full well the U.S. was keeping the imperial system for domestic use.

Where then, Whitedoors, do the scientists that NASA hires (from Canada) get their educations? You know "brain drain" and all that... IF our Canadian scientists didn't have top notch educations I doubt if NASA would hire them.

Of course. Care to read my post again? How you got NAIT to TOP scientists I have no idea.

ie: NAIT doesn't train scientists.

IG:

==>>=>Are you at all aware that Canadians were so sickened

==>>=>by Americans' maintenance of slavery when all the rest

==>>=>of the world had abandoned it as immoral that they set

==>>=>up systems to help runaway slaves achieve their freedom?

I am reading this thread like a bad memory from the past... anyhow, is it really the responsibility of people who inhabit a particular plot of real estate to take ownership of the sins of their forebears? If so...

while slavery was abolished (in a way) on the British homeland before 1800, it was abolished in several US states eariler than that (Massachusetts, for example, out lawed slavery around 1780, Britain, aournd 1803)... and the British Empire profited quite grandly, I assure you, on the continued slavery within the Empire till it was entirely outlawed -- on the books -- in the 1830's. So let's hate on all English people (and Canadians who came from England prior to 1833) as being slave profiteers. C'mon. Regardless, even if abolished, the Bristish held India in bondage for more than a century after the abolition of slavery in the Empire. Let's skewer them all!!!

And what about Vichy France? Shouldn't we hate all French people because some of their grandparents collaborated with the Nazis? I mean, what could be more right than cornering a French tourist and holding him accountable for events that took place before he was born!? Gte real -- he is responsible!

And while we're at it, let's get back at the Japanses for the Rape of Nanking. I hold the manager of my company's Tokyo office entirely responsible and declare that he should be subject to my vitriol on this matter.

And I personally hold responsible all Mexicans for the elimination of the Aztec world, destruction of Tenochtitlan, and the eradication of an entire race. The scum! I'm going to give those guys at Taco Supremo a piece of my mind!

And while we're all about holding present day people accountable for the errors of history, let's not forget the Romans...

Of course. Care to read my post again? How you got NAIT to TOP scientists I have no idea.

I didn't mention NAIT.

I asked a question:

Where then, Whitedoors, do the scientists that NASA hires (from Canada) get their educations?

My son is planning on going to UBC to study science (archeology, anthropology, paleontology) .... of course this could change as he is only 13 ;-)

I didn't mention NAIT.

I asked a question:

Where then, Whitedoors, do the scientists that NASA hires (from Canada) get their educations?

My son is planning on going to UBC to study science (archeology, anthropology, paleontology) .... of course this could change as he is only 13 ;-)

The poster to whom I was originally responding to mentioned it.

Also, the scientists that Nasa hires from Canada? Canada and the US I suppose. Do you have a point to make at all?

White, it wa a totally honest question... don't get all up in arms about it.

Do you know which educational institution in Canada educates the scientists and astronauts that inevitably get hired by NASA (as Canada does not have its own space program)?

I think 'MC Squared' was chosen because of your intense interest in math, and a perfect world. I would like to give you my take. First, I think the Fahrenheit scale does have an advantage over the Celcius for air temperature. Seldom does the air temperature get below zero in the F scale, so you do not usually have to go into negative numbers when the temperature is below freezing. Also, the scale is broader in scope so a degree in the F scale is almost like a half a degree in the C scale which I think is more informative.

Well, in the C scale, although they report "It's 21 degrees outside today", the banks' thermometers post "21.4", which is more accurate than F scale.

OK - but let's not only include Canada. In these days where everyone wants "standardization" (hey, YOU all chose the crappy, more expensive Windows, rather than the far superior, free Linux (ofr any flavor of Unix) - did you not? you wanted to be like everyone else, and like VHS, QWERTY and a host of other "market failures", you all were Lemmings.

Again, no "big deal"- it's just that, if you want to be like everyone else, yet DON'T want to be like everyone else, that's an interesting point to ponder, that's all. Sort of lends itself to "The Arrogant American" syndrome. "We're the best, and we're always right. when we're wrong, refer to rule #1."

To reply to the 1st statement, indeed, measurements in one country hardly affect the rest of the world, but when those countries PLEDGE to follow a standard of measurements, yet never follow that pledge, that's a breach of their word. but then, the USA has broken nearly 3,000 of the treaties it has signed, so I guess they're used to breaking their word. (NOTE: this is not to start a "fight" - it's just stating a fact. Sorry if it stepped on easily offended toes.)

This thread Who Hates the USA is about a year old, and had faded away. It must have struck some cord with MC Squared to make his first two posts on it.

Sorry - I didn't know that. Funny, though - it seems that just the day after I posted this, all these replies flooded-in to this "dormant/old" post. Interesting that it happened.

BTW, I never knew Eskimo was a term equal to nigger. Eskimo, nigger, and Injun are banned words. Worse than swearing.

You mean on THIS post? Or in general? If on this post, I do apologize. If in general, then I think it's hilarious that we can freely talk about murder, yet not "the N word". Talk about mixed-up priorities, huh? Besides, it has been said that "we have worse things in our MOUTHS than we have in our HANDS."

NOTE: Please know that I am not an "intense" person - I speak very calmly, but I use ALL CAPS because I don't yet know how to use BOLD on these postings. I'm more of a public speaker, not a "blogger". Thanks for understanding, and my apologies for not making that clear sooner.

LOL That's too funny Canuck!

Say, Yankee, "Canuck" is allowed on this Post? Or is that also a bad word? I am not Canadian (but my Wife is). I am German & Cherokee (you know - the ones you Yankees killed and stole their land from), so let's all ease-up and talk like civil adults.

I realize the above statement may have offended some of you, but that's the *point*. If you insult someone, be prepared to be insulted right back. Now, back to being civil, or I'll choose to leave this post (I can hear you all now - Go AHEAD - LEAVE!) Yeah, that's real mature.

I see a few replied about NAIT, and how "funny" that is. A) since most of you don't even *know* what NAIT is (without cheating and looking it up quickly), it's best you don't get involved in something where it's too deep for you to swim, but here in Edmonton, it's a known fact: Most NAIT graduates go on to teach American Teachers after their US schooling. Think about it - many of your Doctors and Professors are now coming out of India. And yes, Canada.

My wife works at the CEDA Reactor, a chemist group that develops & redevelops (improves) chemicals for everything from cleaning oil refineries to the flu shot you had. The Chemists commonly confer with their fellow NAIT colleagues at NASA, various Universities around the world, and the like. Yes, I'm aware that MIT guys do, too (duuuh!) - I think that's my point: All these affluent universities provide great people around the world, but I think Americans only think AMERICA does. Again, arrogance.

I realize I've gone so far off teh subject for those of you without ADD to keep up with, but my use of examples to illustrate my point tends to stray me at times. And note THIS (before I close and send): Do you know anyone *else* that eats a diet so that ADD will be *present* when needed???

In a society where "the norm" dictates "ADD" and "ADHD" to be a BAD thing ... Yeah, I guess that's a bit over the heads of "normal" thinking right now, but many Musicians I know (Huey Lewis, Peter Noone, Mickey Thomas [starship], many others) and Inventors elevate their ADD so they can better multi-task. Hey, *I* play 7 instruments:

http://www.partycentral.com/pyro/

OK, bye.

:-)

Although an Igloo is actually a temporary hunting shelter - VERY sturdy. The Unuit (you call them "Eskimos", but that's a derogatory word - like "Nigger") build them when hunting on ice, but the rest of Canada (BC, Alberta, Manitoba, etc) began using GSM mobile phones wen the USA was using the ancient TDMA network. NAIT (our version of MIT) sends Teachers down to the USA to teach *your* technicians their trades. No lie!

Inuit is Canadian PC. In Alaska the common term is still Eskimo.

Well, in the C scale, although they report "It's 21 degrees outside today", the banks' thermometers post "21.4", which is more accurate than F scale.

Here in Buffalo, as I said, we almost never get into negative numbers on the F scale. We would be in the negative numbers almost all winter in the C scale. The use of the decimal in the C scale is hardly useful. Who can feel a half of a degree of anything.

OK - but let's not only include Canada. In these days where everyone wants "standardization" (hey, YOU all chose the crappy, more expensive Windows, rather than the far superior, free Linux (ofr any flavor of Unix) - did you not? you wanted to be like everyone else, and like VHS, QWERTY and a host of other "market failures", you all were Lemmings.
Crappy Windors? I have seen Linux and was not impressed. It lacks drivers and software other than a word processor and a spreadsheet. Dos was better. The only thing it might be good for is internet surfing. The Dvorak keyboard was better, and is still available. I believe you can transform your keyboard into a Dvorak one through windows, and then just move the keys around.. The problem is I learned QWERTY first, so why learn it now.
To reply to the 1st statement, indeed, measurements in one country hardly affect the rest of the world, but when those countries PLEDGE to follow a standard of measurements, yet never follow that pledge, that's a breach of their word. but then, the USA has broken nearly 3,000 of the treaties it has signed, so I guess they're used to breaking their word. (NOTE: this is not to start a "fight" - it's just stating a fact. Sorry if it stepped on easily offended toes.)

NOTE: Please know that I am not an "intense" person - I speak very calmly, but I use ALL CAPS because I don't yet know how to use BOLD on these postings. I'm more of a public speaker, not a "blogger". Thanks for understanding, and my apologies for not making that clear sooner.

Agreements are made to be broken, especially to indians. Administrations change. If say Carter agreed to something, and that nut agreed to too much, too bad if it is just IGNORED.

Educate me on this. Did the US ever ratify any treaty on this subject matter? Under our Constitution, even the President needs the vote of 2/3 of the Senate to enter into a treaty:

He (the President) shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The "pledge" was the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 (link to discussion of act, excerpts below):

Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 "to coordinate and plan the increasing use of the metric system in the United States." A process of voluntary conversion was begun, and the U.S. Metric Board was established. But the efforts of the Metric Board were largely ignored by the American public, and, in 1981, the Board reported to Congress that it lacked the clear Congressional mandate necessary to bring about national conversion. In 1982 the Board was dissolved.

That is hardly a binding pledge. It was a call for voluntary conversion and that dog didn't hunt.