Montreal: Cars vs Bicycles -Huge Waste

Unlike Amsterdam which is flat, Montreal has three mountains. It is up and down. Moreover, Montreal has lots of snow.

On the other hand, Quebec has lots of hydro-electricity. Why are we wasting this resource locally?

========

I suspect that Plante will not get re-elected. The city of Montreal is making the life of everyone worse.

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2024 at 5:04 PM, herbie said:

You will waste more electricity on this forum than with an electric bike.

In CO2 emissions, we Quebecers waste our hydro-electricity heating our homes.

We should be selling this resource to Americans at a high price.

====

The STM is a large user of electricity. In the future, the REM also.

Edited by August1991

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

In CO2 emissions, we Quebecers waste our hydro-electricity heating our homes.

We should be selling this resource to Americans at a high price.

You've been selling it to them for decades. Wanna waste even more? Mine Bitcoins.

On 6/21/2024 at 11:00 PM, August1991 said:

Waste electricity locally, and only use the bike a few months of the year?

I don't think most people would want to bike in the winter.

I used to be one of those nut jobs, and there is nothing practical about prematurely rusting out your wheel bearings, chain, pedal and brake components.

The cold you get used to, but its just not practical.

Drive or take the bus, or if lucky enough to work close to home, walk.

The hardcore ones in Vancouver manage in raincoats, but do they even make snow tires for bicycles?
And just imagine going shopping at Ikea or Costco on a bike! An Ootmar chesterfield or twelve year supply of toilet paper strapped on your back.

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2024 at 11:38 PM, herbie said:

You've been selling it to them for decades. Wanna waste even more? Mine Bitcoins.

Bitcoins? A total waste of electricity. A few may gain but overall, it's a great loss.

====

We buy electricity from Newfoundland at Cdn 0.5 cents per kwh.

People in Boston pay about US 20 cents per kwh for this electricity.

Talk about a mark-up, middle-man - arbitrage profit!

=====

At least Hydro-Quebec makes a profit.

Edited by August1991

BTW I have a buddy in Montreal who says it's pretty good for bikes there. He never lived in Vancouver to compare it with though.
I used to ride all over there when I was young and dumb, even out to see a gf in Haney, Didn't like going down and up from N Burnaby to South or down the hill into New West but it was manageable. Try biking to SFU if you want a workout going up and a real thrill coming down!

On 6/25/2024 at 8:17 PM, herbie said:

If they didn't like the deal they wouldn't buy it. No shame in charging that.
BC even buys back power when it's cheap to fill up the dams and sell it back when demand and prices are higher.

True.

But you miss the point that many Newfoundlanders have never understood.

An idea is one thing, Bring it to market another.

====

You van catch a cod fish. Can you sell it?

On 6/24/2024 at 4:54 PM, herbie said:

but do they even make snow tires for bicycles?

Mountain bike tires work perfect. I used to be that guy. They cut through snow effortlessly. The thinner, the better.

On 6/24/2024 at 4:54 PM, herbie said:

And just imagine going shopping at Ikea or Costco on a bike!

Been there done that. Had a caddy on the back, I could put an insane volume of items on it. I had considered a child trailer, as could find them cheap on Kijiji, and would have then had a lightweight trailer that rivaled a trunk. Never needed it.

You really rust out steel components on a bike, like your chain, spokes, brake calipers, etc.

Its just not worth it. Even with a composite or aluminum bike. I found myself replacing so many parts, it no longer was cost effective.

My wife wants me to bike more, but for long distances,  would rather drive. 

Short distance, I prefer walking. 

Both can coexist (cyclists and motorists) but education is key.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:21 PM, August1991 said:

I suspect that Plante will not get re-elected. The city of Montreal is making the life of everyone worse.

Yes.

Trash collection is now taking place every 2 weeks instead of every weeks. The roads are not better than they were before, many bridges and infrastructure projects are taking very long for nothing, and they always seem to cost more. Take for example the underground bus garage they are building.

The article is in French but auto-translates does the job very well for this article; https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/grand-montreal/2022-10-28/societe-de-transport-de-montreal/le-garage-bellechasse-coutera-plus-d-un-demi-milliard.php

Twice as expensive, twice as long. The Bellechasse bus garage of the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) is expected to cost more than half a billion dollars and will not be delivered until the summer of 2024, La Presse has learned.

This was an article in 2022 stating that this project, for instance, will cost two times more and will take twice the time to build.

But we have an update I will be glad to share to expose the corruption in 2024 in Quebec. It will not be ready until a few years, because they botched it. Yes sir Miller.

Built specifically to accommodate electric buses, the Bellechasse bus garage will not ultimately be able to accommodate them for at least a few years. The Société de transport de Montréal (STM) says it must do additional work in terms of safety and technology on this site which is already experiencing its share of delays.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/grand-montreal/2024-06-04/garage-bellechasse/pas-d-autobus-electriques-avant-au-moins-quelques-annees.php

The city of Montreal is now doing works on maintenance for the aqueduct in my neighbourhood. It has been for a month, and it's not that busy out here traffic wise when it comes to Montreal's standards, but it is basically a change of pipes, asphalt and leave. It should take maximum 1 or 2 business days. It takes more than a month here.

I am starting to hate it here more and more. I am going to leave thankfully next year. This town has a lot of charm, a lot of nice people and and all around rich and vibrant culture. But a lot of Montrealers feel the same way, that's it's not worth the cost like Conservatives like to say.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:32 PM, herbie said:

So buy an electric bike already

It doesn't work well with our winters here. Montreal winters are a bit rougher than they are in Toronto, and unimaginably colder than Vancouver. Electric batteries die very quickly with bikes in the cold, plus only hippies and jackasses ride them during winters here because it's so risky with the icy patches, the snow, the hidden potholes, etc. that it would be impossible to ride for more than 1km realistically.

It's ok if you're working in the Plateau and living there, and even then... It's not so good when you're in Hochelaga and work downtown or uphill to the Plateau.

On 6/25/2024 at 8:31 PM, herbie said:

BTW I have a buddy in Montreal who says it's pretty good for bikes there. He never lived in Vancouver to compare it with though.
I used to ride all over there when I was young and dumb, even out to see a gf in Haney, Didn't like going down and up from N Burnaby to South or down the hill into New West but it was manageable. Try biking to SFU if you want a workout going up and a real thrill coming down!

It depends where you live. You have to bear in mind that Montreal is very vast, not every neighbourhood is bike friendly, it's quite the minority of them who will be despite all the efforts made to make them that way...