Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker bashes Pride Month, tells women to stay in the kitchen

5 minutes ago, User said:

Which part was where he told women to return to the kitchen?

"For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation."

While not explicitly.. anyone with basic reading comprehension can see through it. Your bias precludes you from intrepreting this, I know. I know that you can't own up to this. 

Edited by impartialobserver
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Aristides said:

No such comments for the men in the class. Why does he get to speak for women? By "we are wont to do" he actually means what he is wont to do

Good for Mrs Butker but isn't she capable for speaking for herself? She lives with a guy who makes over $4 million a year so I imagine life would be pretty good. Not your average couple.

He did not speak for women. He did not say "we are wont to do." That was the quote from the person writing the op/ed for crying out loud. 

Of course she can speak for herself, just as a husband can praise his wife. Plenty of folks in the Catholic community have Homemakers and plenty of folks in the country choose to not have dual income families. You do not need to make millions to do so. 

Just now, User said:

He did not speak for women. He did not say "we are wont to do." That was the quote from the person writing the op/ed for crying out loud. 

Of course she can speak for herself, just as a husband can praise his wife. Plenty of folks in the Catholic community have Homemakers and plenty of folks in the country choose to not have dual income families. You do not need to make millions to do so. 

At least you can be funny. 

2 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

While not explicitly.. anyone with basic reading comprehension can see through it. Your bias precludes you from intrepreting this, I know. I know that you can't own up to this. 

I see, you have to read into it and interpret it. 

No, it is your bias that is clearly the issue here. 

11 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

At least you can be funny. 

At least I can be honest about what the man actually said. 

3 minutes ago, User said:

I see, you have to read into it and interpret it. 

No, it is your bias that is clearly the issue here. 

At least I can be honest about what the man actually said. 

Honest... more humor. Wife, mother. vocation... put those three together and even a 1st grader can draw the correct conclusion. Your bias stops you from seeing pretty much anything.. let me guess, 3^3 = 27 is not true according to you if someone that does not agree with you says it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

Who is talking about that? This is about a guy who wants to define a woman's world, that he knows what they should be.  

Of course he is. He also has to take responsibility for them.

No he isn't. He's saying his wife has been a major part of his success and that the narrative that you have to work to be successful is b.s.

26 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Honest... more humor. Wife, mother. vocation... put those three together and even a 1st grader can draw the correct conclusion. Your bias stops you from seeing pretty much anything.. let me guess, 3^3 = 27 is not true according to you if someone that does not agree with you says it?

What conclusion are you drawing from "wife, mother, vocation" other than those are words he said?

More like you are saying: 3x3 = Purple Carrots. Can't you see that it is obviously Purple Carrots?!

4 minutes ago, User said:

What conclusion are you drawing from "wife, mother, vocation" other than those are words he said?

More like you are saying: 3x3 = Purple Carrots. Can't you see that it is obviously Purple Carrots?!

Not everything is explicit... if you do not know that.. there is no hope for you. Wife, mother, vocation.. a person of adequate intelligence would think, "he likes that their vocation is wife/mother/stay at home... which precludes her from having a full time job or career. Can't be too places at once.. no spinning that one. 

15 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Not everything is explicit... if you do not know that.. there is no hope for you. Wife, mother, vocation.. a person of adequate intelligence would think, "he likes that their vocation is wife/mother/stay at home... which precludes her from having a full time job or career. Can't be too places at once.. no spinning that one. 

Does he like his wife? Obviously, he appreciates her being a homemaker. Duh. He is telling these girls they can be homemakers too. Yes. 

Told them to return to the kitchen in some condescending way? Nope

Told them to return to the kitchen at all? Nope. 

You can praise the fact that your wife is a homemaker and tell women they too can be successful as one... and not be telling them they have to be one or to get back into the kitchen as if it were condescending. Those negative things are what you are choosing to add to this, things he did not say. 

Clearly said: "Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world..."

3 hours ago, User said:

Does he like his wife? Obviously, he appreciates her being a homemaker. Duh. He is telling these girls they can be homemakers too. Yes. 

Told them to return to the kitchen in some condescending way? Nope

Told them to return to the kitchen at all? Nope. 

You can praise the fact that your wife is a homemaker and tell women they too can be successful as one... and not be telling them they have to be one or to get back into the kitchen as if it were condescending. Those negative things are what you are choosing to add to this, things he did not say. 

Clearly said: "Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world..."

You are obfuscating. He is not simply stating objective facts like the capital of Saskatchewan. I know that you can't interpret things. You do not word things like he does to simply state objective facts and you take it or leave it. How do I know?  Look below... you do not say that if you do not care and therefore want to suggest/encourage something. You should not play stupid so often. It is unbecoming of you. 

"I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. "

4 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

it is painfully clear that he is not saying that there is no other choice or even that this should be their choice per se. It is crystal clear he is saying he believes that they will get the greatest fulfillment out of life by choosing this vocation. He believes it has great value. He believes that a lot of women find being a mother and a homemaker extremely rewarding. He acknowledges that many could choose to become executives and worry about promotions and such. And that's fine. But many women in his belief will get the most out of choosing to be a wife and mother.

And honestly, he's probably correct. The science backs him up. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in the universe with suggesting that someone might like to be a mother and homemaker.

Trying to turn that statement into something sinister or suggest that he's somehow excluding women from the workplace is very inappropriate. Standing as a catholic in a catholic school offering catholic views on life which do not in any way claim that women shouldn't make their own choices but rather suggest a choice that he feels won't offer the most satisfaction is Perfectly Natural and normal and not sexist. If he had said I think you will find the best satisfaction from being a doctor you wouldn't think anything of it

5 hours ago, User said:

He spoke down to women. I never presumed to speak for my wife when it came to what or how she felt about her own life.

Edited by Aristides

5 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

"For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I'm on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation."

100%. What a jackass to poop on their special day. Fark that guy. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hodad said:

He claims that Butker is not making any suggestions or prescriptive messages.. The giveaway is the section about diabolical lies. The only reason that you include this is to say, that someone is very wrong and that he, Butker, has a better way.. which he lays out. 

3 minutes ago, Aristides said:

He spoke down to women. I never presumed to speak for my wife when it came to what or how she felt about her own life.

How exactly did he speak down to them?

I don't presume to know anything about you and your wife other than what you just told me, but if you don't know how she feels, you need some better communication. Best of luck. 

1 minute ago, User said:

How exactly did he speak down to them?

I don't presume to know anything about you and your wife other than what you just told me, but if you don't know how she feels, you need some better communication. Best of luck. 

By telling them they had been scammed and should all want to be homemakers. He probably thinks it is immoral for a woman not wanting to get married and have kids. Perfectly OK for a guy though.

Oh, she told me how she felt alright but that was between us. 

55 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Look below... you do not say that if you do not care and therefore want to suggest/encourage something. You should not play stupid so often. It is unbecoming of you. 

Congratulations, you have now identified where he was identifying the people he spoke to in the part of his speech. 

No one is playing stupid here except you and others who repeatedly fail to show where he said anything you are accusing him of. 

I think I get it. You hate homemakers. You are the one who despises women who work full time to take care of their families and invest time into their well-being. Heaven forbid someone take a moment to celebrate those women who courageously take on such an important role. 

Just now, Aristides said:

By telling them they had been scammed and should all want to be homemakers. He probably thinks it is immoral for a woman not wanting to get married and have kids. Perfectly OK for a guy though.

Oh, she told me how she felt alright but that was between us. 

Where did he say they were scammed and should all want to be homemakers? 

So, you don't even know enough about your own wife's feelings to say anything about her publically, but you presume to know what Butker is thinking?

9 minutes ago, Aristides said:

He absolutely did not, that's just in your head.  And you're presuming he didn't talk to his wife about his speech before he gave it, which is a pretty silly assumption. 

You didn't think he made it up on the spot did you. 

He spoke very respectfully of women. But you on the left assume that unless someone says a woman ONLY should be the chair of a major corporation or a doctor that they're being 'spoken down to'.  Which is indeed the 'great diabolic lie' he's referring to. Saying that it's somehow WRONG for a woman to want to be a wife and mother is truly talking down to them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hodad said:

He should totally be showering with his daughters so they feel so uncomfortable about it they have to write about how it was probably inappropriate in their diary.... that is a girls place, in the shower with her father. 

You have no room to talk about much of anything. 

I bet you can't even describe what the definition of a woman is in any meaningful way either. LOL

6 minutes ago, User said:

Congratulations, you have now identified where he was identifying the people he spoke to in the part of his speech. 

No one is playing stupid here except you and others who repeatedly fail to show where he said anything you are accusing him of. 

I think I get it. You hate homemakers. You are the one who despises women who work full time to take care of their families and invest time into their well-being. Heaven forbid someone take a moment to celebrate those women who courageously take on such an important role. 

Where did he say they were scammed and should all want to be homemakers? 

So, you don't even know enough about your own wife's feelings to say anything about her publically, but you presume to know what Butker is thinking?

I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

6 minutes ago, Aristides said:

"I would venture to guess" he says.  Not 'i'm telling you to do this" or 'you shouldn't be doing that' or 'your place is...'. 

just that he would guess that the majority are excited a bout being a mother and a wife.  Maybe he's wrong, he's certainly not saying that it's wrong to be a businesswoman. 

But you on the left insist that unless we say that a woman can ONLY be a doctor or business exec that we're talking down to them 

In countries where women have the most freedoms to chose, the majority DO choose to be wives and mothers. There's nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by CdnFox

30 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

He claims that Butker is not making any suggestions or prescriptive messages.. The giveaway is the section about diabolical lies. The only reason that you include this is to say, that someone is very wrong and that he, Butker, has a better way.. which he lays out. 

Yes, exactly. It's NOT a coded message. There is nothing to decipher. Every woman sitting in the audience heard him loud and clear.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, User said:

He should totally be showering with his daughters so they feel so uncomfortable about it they have to write about how it was probably inappropriate in their diary.... that is a girls place, in the shower with her father. 

You have no room to talk about much of anything. 

I bet you can't even describe what the definition of a woman is in any meaningful way either. LOL

Oh, Fark off. You've been dishonest in many threads in your short tenure here, but this one takes the "gay cake."

Butker is a piece of crap, but at least he has the courage to plainly say the shitty things he thinks, instead of pretending his message is anything other than it is. 

Edited by Hodad
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Yes, exactly. It's NOT a coded message. There is nothing to decipher. Every woman sitting in the audience heard him loud and clear.

ROFLMAO - yeah they did. They heard him say that being a mom and a wife is great, and he thinks many of them will choose that.  How terrible :)  LOLOL