Jordan Peterson: Our rotten, rotting universities

11 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

1. I am aware as a leader, that every single employee that I have, is an extension of my reputation. The business reputation.  Caring about women, would mean you would want to put thus women in the best possible light.  Hiring incompetent women, would totally damage the reputation of women, plus the leader who hired them.

2. To me this brand was damaged, when he not only couldn't keep his own woman satisfied enough to stick it out and hold appearances, but put women in positions at times, that looked both out of place, and clueless.

3. Of course. If they are competent  or if the men are competent, we aren't having this conversation.

4. He's hired a few incredibly incompetent women. They shine because he put emphasis on their vaginas vs their skills.

1. Agree.
2.If you're referring to his wife, that's not really relevant.  I agree with you that he roasted two female ministers to save himself.
3. Agree.
4. I find it hard to see through the politics and PR to determine who is "good" at their job in ministerial roles.  I will say that these days I look at leaders who think outside the box, and give bonus points for creative thinking.  On this front, all of the populists do quite well - which gives me hope.  They're weighed down with other problems, but anyway.

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I agree with you that he roasted two female ministers to save himself.

But stands up for women, somehow. 

Its just a bad look. He threw his male house speaker under the bus as well. Ironically, that's as much of a b***h move as you could do.

If you're referring to his wife

It's totally relevant. He is literally peddling to appeal to women.

Can't even get one to want to stay married to him until the end of his term. Its a bad look, and is the epitome of coming across as undesirable to them. He first got elected due to his looks. Not his competence.

Image is everything.

I find it hard to see through the politics and PR to determine who is "good" at their job in ministerial roles.

I think its worse to come across as incredibly incompetent.

I will say that these days I look at leaders who think outside the box, and give bonus points for creative thinking. 

On that, we are in full agreement.

Lacking vision when taking over controls of a country, is disturbing to me.

On this front, all of the populists do quite well - which gives me hope. 

Poilievre has an entrepreneurial spirit. Some say entrepreneurs make poor politicians.

I think its the opposite. 

How can you govern an economy without vision?

27 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Weird thing to say about a guy

Not sure how being a politician will automatically stop one from having an entrepreneurial spirit.

He's clearly showcased it, and has the track record to prove it.

Calling one a career politician as an insult, is like calling into question a pilot's heavy handed miles flying.

Its an asset.

If one built successful entities while serving, then it showcases their vision to doing so.

He clearly is knowledgeable, and has vision. Both of which he routinely mops the floor with his opposition on.

19 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Not sure how being a politician will automatically stop one from having an entrepreneurial spirit.

He's clearly showcased it, and has the track record to prove it.

He quite literally does not and that's why it's an absurd thing to say. Having an entrepreneurial spirit to me suggests a willingness to take risks, to try and start new ventures or seek new opportunities, especially in the private sector.

Pee Pee has been safely ensconced in his publicly funded sinecure since he was 24 years old. He's never had a real job, started a business, nothing.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 2:20 PM, Black Dog said:

Having an entrepreneurial spirit to me suggests a willingness to take risks, to try and start new ventures or seek new opportunities

It also showcases a level of creativity and thinking outside the box, to resolving issues. He is incredibly savvy at reaching people.

My wife is an entrepreneur, but is slightly risk averse. Her liking risk less, doesn't make her any less of an entrepreneurial spirit.

It also showcases ones determination and drive at getting things done or reaching goals.

He's also got the gift of gab. Many entrepreneurs are blessed with this.

The ability to connect with people, and being highly persuasive in doing so.

Starting a business doesn't automatically make one entrepreneurial. 

I have seen tons of entrepreneurial spirits who never wanted to run their own businesses. This isn't a knock on someone, unless they are incredibly incompetent at their jobs.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:36 PM, Perspektiv said:

It also showcases a level of creativity and thinking outside the box, to resolving issues. He is incredibly savvy at reaching people.

My wife is an entrepreneur, but is slightly risk averse. Her liking risk less, doesn't make her any less of an entrepreneurial spirit.

It also showcases ones determination and drive at getting things done or reaching goals.

He's also got the gift of gab. Many entrepreneurs are blessed with this.

The ability to connect with people, and being highly persuasive in doing so.

This describes a lot of different kinds of people including conmen and cult leaders.

Starting a business doesn't automatically make one entrepreneurial. 

I have seen tons of entrepreneurial spirits who never wanted to run their own businesses. This isn't a knock on someone, unless they are incredibly incompetent at their jobs.

It's literally the dictionary definition of entrepreneurial. Everything else is secondary to that. 

On 4/11/2024 at 3:09 PM, Black Dog said:

Weird thing to say about a guy who's literally never had a job where he wasn't getting paid by taxpayers.

The economy is in a disaster thanks to Trudeau.  PP at least might be able to help get Canada out of the mess it is in.  PP's job is politics.  So far he is doing a good job.  He has a lot of responsibility.

31 minutes ago, blackbird said:

So far he is doing a good job.  He has a lot of responsibility.

How is he doing a good job?  His job is to convince people he'd be a better PM than Trudeau.  Don't you think Trudeau is carrying most of the load on that project?

His responsibility is minor as opposition leader.  It will be higher soon.

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

How is he doing a good job?  His job is to convince people he'd be a better PM than Trudeau.  Don't you think Trudeau is carrying most of the load on that project?

His responsibility is minor as opposition leader.  It will be higher soon.

The CPC is about 20% ahead of the Liberals.  Obviously Canadians think PP is a far better choice.  He has obviously convinced many Canadians.  That is his job. .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The CPC is about 20% ahead of the Liberals.  Obviously Canadians think PP is a far better choice.  He has obviously convinced many Canadians.  That is his job. .

There's a performance aspect to being Opposition Leader.  He's doing well also capitalizing on world events.

Many disagree.

12 hours ago, Black Dog said:

This describes a lot of different kinds of people including conmen and cult leaders.

Technically to be a politician in today's climate, requires to be a cult leader and a bit of a conman.

12 hours ago, Black Dog said:

It's literally the dictionary definition

If someone has an entrepreneurial spirit, and hasn't started a business, this doesn't negate their entrepreneurial spirit.

Pierre Poilievre has an entrepreneurial spirit, whether you choose to see it or not. 

As an employer, I can spot that type of spirit a mile away. 

Hire a guy like that, and he will be competent enough to run the show for you.

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

His job is to convince people he'd be a better PM than Trudeau. 

To Trudeau's defence, he has done a better job than Poilievre at providing this.

Leave some work for PP, I say. Jeesh!

On 4/19/2024 at 3:31 AM, Perspektiv said:

If someone has an entrepreneurial spirit, and hasn't started a business, this doesn't negate their entrepreneurial spirit.

Pierre Poilievre has an entrepreneurial spirit, whether you choose to see it or not. 

Ah so it has nothing to do with any accomplishments, it's just vibes. 

As an employer, I can spot that type of spirit a mile away. 

Hire a guy like that, and he will be competent enough to run the show for you.

If you're hiring a person who has no experience or accomplishments because of vibes you probably won't be in a position to hire people for long.

38 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

so it has nothing to do with any accomplishments

He did co-found a small business.

It would be wiser however, to look at it based on skill brought to the table.

Accomplishments can be a part of the equation, as are certain skills and personality traits.

Just because you don't agree with the business he started, or any other innovative ideas he has brought to the table, doesn't make him any less of an entrepreneurial spirit.

In fact, it makes him likelier to understand the struggles of small business owners and the working class.

53 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

If you're hiring a person who has no experience or accomplishments

There are obviously skills I will look at. Experience. 

Owning a business is not critical to having an entrepreneurial spirit.

If you have strong vision, you will know how to find the employees that have it, from those who don't.

You dismissing my point because you don't agree with it, doesn't invalidate it.

Just now, Perspektiv said:

He did co-found a small business.

A now-closed robocall firm that leveraged his party connections.

It would be wiser however, to look at it based on skill brought to the table.

Accomplishments can be a part of the equation, as are certain skills and personality traits.

How do you know what someone's skills are if they've never demonstrated them?

Just because you don't agree with the business he started, or any other innovative ideas he has brought to the table, doesn't make him any less of an entrepreneurial spirit.

Again, my agreeing with his ideas or whatever has nothing to do with why i think it's absurd to claim he has an entrepreneurial spirit, but we've already established that your definition is entirely vibes-based.

3 hours ago, Black Dog said:

A now-closed

But he did start one, didn't he? 

You're essentially trying to dismiss someone making a million, because they lost it. That's not how that works.

How do you know what someone's skills are if they've never demonstrated them?

He has demonstrated his skills. You feel he hasn't. But he has been in politics his entire working life.

If I need to point to you how Poilievre showcases high levels of resourcefulness and an analytical nature (two key skills of one who would be entrepreneurial in spirit, of many others), I don't think I am the person who needs help.

think it's absurd to claim he has an entrepreneurial spirit

You feel an entrepreneurial spirit is one having had businesses. Thats an entrepreneur.

An entrepreneurial spirit, is showcased from employees attitudes. Its a mindset. A skillset as well, but its a mindset, more than anything else. Those skills are useless without the mindset.

I can test an employee on that very skill, simply by asking someone to hang a picture.

Heck, asking them the hardest issue they had to resolve, and how they did is another.

I look for little things like high emotional intelligence.

On 4/3/2024 at 3:30 PM, Black Dog said:

Social sciences and the humanities represents less than 30% of Harvard grads

Empty vessels make the most noise, and 30% of 30,000 students is still 9,000 people (you're welcome). That's a lot of leftard shriekers. 

Those "certain fields" where students of elite educational institutions are being exposed to left wing concepts represent a minority of programs and produce comparatively few grads, but you wouldn't know it from the amount of time right wingers spend crying about them.

Sadly that's probably the bulk of the female population on campus though, and they hold a lot of sway over the 'racist-by-definition' mathematician and physicist simps who are saying and doing everything they can to the get out of the friend zone for the first time in their lives.

If my son was an incel prodigy I don't think I'd want him going to a place like Harvard, and I don't think previous generations felt that way. It was nerd mecca until recently.

On 4/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, Black Dog said:

Anyway, the idea that elite colleges and universities are churning out student radicals who emerge to destroy the system and aren't simply factories for reproducing institutional power is completely at odds with the entire history of these places.

I just looked up the 4 most toxic radicals on television:

Lawrence O'Donnell - Harvard

Rachel Maddow - Stanford/Oxford

Joy Reid - Harvard

Sunny Hostin - Notre Dame

If you wanted to see the most braindead cultist BS on TV that's exactly where you'd start.

I challenge you to name a more worthless leftard TV host than those 4...

Oh, and the biggest leftard liar of the past ten years... Dr Christine Blasey Ford - Stanford.