On April 1, Canadian MPs will earn world's second-highest salary for elected officials. Trudeau gets bump to

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Nothing new or astounding here

Wow, wow. An outrageously paying job with automatic annual rises, no performance review and zero accountability? Perhaps you could name one other, single example?

22 minutes ago, myata said:

Wow, wow. An outrageously paying job with automatic annual rises, no performance review and zero accountability? Perhaps you could name one other, single example?

I made a statement of fact. Why would you question me on a fact?  I did not endorse anything.

Certainly the fact I stated is not new to you??? LOL

"Every April 1st we complain about the MP and politicians getting a pay raise but so does every public servant.

Nothing new or astounding here, it is every year and has been every year.

"MPs give themselves pay raises each year on April 1, based on the average annual increase in union contracts with corporations that have more than 500 employees."   

https://www.taxpayer.com/newsroom/mp-pay-to-increase-between-8,000-and-16,000-in-2024"

"

4 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

It happening every year doesn't make it any less astounding; bizarre; inefficient and counter-productive.

56 minutes ago, myata said:

It happening every year doesn't make it any less astounding; bizarre; inefficient and counter-productive.

Wake up and smell the decades. Just because it tickled you pi$$ off bone today does not make it news LOL All parties are in on it for decades, regardless who is in power .

Public servants too LOL

Edited by ExFlyer

4 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

All parties are in on it for decades, regardless who is in power .

Public servants too LOL

Well yeah how else could one explain it? Walking by the load of sh*t, every day and no fragrance, miracle!

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Every April 1st we complain about the MP and politicians getting a pay raise but so does every public servant.

"MPs give themselves pay raises each year on April 1, based on the average annual increase in union contracts with corporations that have more than 500 employees."   

https://www.taxpayer.com/newsroom/mp-pay-to-increase-between-8,000-and-16,000-in-2024

While that is frustrating too, the difference for many people i think is that the civil servants aren't directly responsible for the situation most people are facing. A gov't office worker isn't responsible for higher interest rates, excessive immigration or housing shortages, higher crime etc.

The gov't however is - and people feel like they're accepting a raise for themselves while they've done real harm to the people who are paying for that raise. So it feels like a more direct and personal slap in the face.

3 minutes ago, myata said:

Well yeah how else could one explain it? Walking by the load of sh*t, every day and no fragrance, miracle!

WTF  Myata...back to your  unintelligent non understandable comments. LOL

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

While that is frustrating too, the difference for many people i think is that the civil servants aren't directly responsible for the situation most people are facing. A gov't office worker isn't responsible for higher interest rates, excessive immigration or housing shortages, higher crime etc.

The gov't however is - and people feel like they're accepting a raise for themselves while they've done real harm to the people who are paying for that raise. So it feels like a more direct and personal slap in the face.

I agree but, April 1 is a new payday for everyone working in the government.

57 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Yes.

I spent a lot of years in the Military and public service and April was my christmas. LOL

Not every public servant gets a raise on Apr 1, I remember in the military their was no raises for several years in a row, and when it did come it was a very low raise, that went for public servants as well, depending on the contract they sign normally a 3 to 5 year where it is divided each year...some public servant's unions have gone years with no contracts, with no raises...

I think elected MP with a very comfortable wage would be embarrassed to receive a 4 % raise when a good chunk of Canadians are struggling to buy the basics...But then again Canadians won't stand up and say enough is enough....because they are to lazy.... 

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Not every public servant gets a raise on Apr 1, I remember in the military their was no raises for several years in a row, and when it did come it was a very low raise, that went for public servants as well, depending on the contract they sign normally a 3 to 5 year where it is divided each year...some public servant's unions have gone years with no contracts, with no raises...

I think elected MP with a very comfortable wage would be embarrassed to receive a 4 % raise when a good chunk of Canadians are struggling to buy the basics...But then again Canadians won't stand up and say enough is enough....because they are to lazy.... 

I remember that as well. I also remember when we did not get a raise it was because the public service had not yet signed it's contract. We always got at least what they did.

I agree, the politicians get great raises but, it is part of their deal/contract as well.

https://www.taxpayer.com/newsroom/mp-pay-to-increase-between-8,000-and-16,000-in-2024

They could forgo to show empathy for Canadians but, they choose not to. The only thing we can did is punish them by not electing them back.