Same-Sex Marriage

For... or against Same-Sex Marriage?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pressures and challenges have been launched against religious beliefs and teachings. Take for example that teen who challenged a Catholic school about bringing his gay partner in the prom.

None of which having anything whatsoever to do with SSM. If you're going to oppose it, do so on your positions own merits, not on the basis of soem "slippery slope" rationale.

What guarantees that our religious beliefs and expressions would not be compromised?

The Charter and the equal marriage legislation.

Priests preaching from the pulpits could easily be harrassed and intimidated by invoking the gag law

Again: nowt to do with gay marriage.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant stand religious gays who say that God doesnt care if your gay. Im not a religious nut, but does it not say in the Bible that "man shall not lay down with man, and women shall not lay down with women"

Prove me wrong.

Sure, but doesn't it also say something about stoning a woman to death if she isn't a virgin when she gets married, and the same punishment if you commit adultery?

Better stock up on the rocks then.

I cant stand religious gays who say that God doesnt care if your gay. Im not a religious nut, but does it not say in the Bible that "man shall not lay down with man, and women shall not lay down with women"

Prove me wrong.

I will:

The actual quote is:

Leviticus 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.

Nothing is said about women with woman.

1) If you look read the various translations of the Bible you will notice the prohibition refers to only the sexual act of sodomy. It does not say anything about having long term commited relationships that don't involve that particular sex act.

2) Contrary to popular belief not all gays engage in the sex act prohibited (neither do most lesbians).

So Christians that say the Bible prohibits gay marriage are stretching the truth.

2) Contrary to popular belief not all gays engage in the sex act prohibited (neither do most lesbians).

Not that I'm arguing against SSM (I strongly support it), but it's hard to imagine a woman sodomizing another... She'd have to have a penis of some sort :P

Prove me wrong.

I will:

The actual quote is:

Leviticus 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.

Nothing is said about women with woman.

1) If you look read the various translations of the Bible you will notice the prohibition refers to only the sexual act of sodomy. It does not say anything about having long term commited relationships that don't involve that particular sex act.

So Christians that say the Bible prohibits gay marriage are stretching the truth.

What bible are you reading? My wifes King James version does not quote what you said. It is exsactly what I said.

Also... think about it... you think God, the creator of all, is happy when he sees 2 of his sons bum rushing? Men and Women pro-create together for a reason, because thats what God intended. If you were God and you created Males and Females to be together, and then you saw them boinking eachother, would u be a happy God or a vengefal God?? Ever hear of Sodom and Gamora... God destroyed the city because of all the sins, including Homo-sexuality.

Prove me Wrong.

No, it was not okay for Lot to do that. He was trying to save the angels that were in his house from the gay mob outside. And the response of the mob was telling, they did not want the virgins at all, they wanted the young men they had seen. For those who would like to know, 1 Corinthians 6:9 speaks against fornicators, idolators, adulterers, homosexuals and sodomites. (NKJ) There is no difference between women or men homosexuals in this text. This is why many religious people are concerned about gay marriage.

...Men and Women pro-create together for a reason, because thats what God intended. If you were God and you created Males and Females to be together, and then you saw them boinking eachother, would u be a happy God or a vengefal God?? Ever hear of Sodom and Gamora... God destroyed the city because of all the sins, including Homo-sexuality.

Prove me Wrong.

By entending the logic of your first line, and assuming that God created everything and that there is a purpose for all God created, then you must also acknowledge that God made gay people to be together. Aren't you deliberately standing in the way of God's design by holding that position? Sounds to me like your pride (and thinking you can possess Godly knowledge) is the same sin that cast Adam and Eve out of Eden. That is a sin greater than that of homosexuality. For being gay, God only turned a few people into pillars of salt and such. For the sin of pursuing Godly knowledge, however, God cast all of humanity for time eternal out of his paradise. Yet the state does not take your sins into account in either granting or denying you a state license. Why should it take my lesser sinful condition into account?

Not that I'm arguing against SSM (I strongly support it), but it's hard to imagine a woman sodomizing another... She'd have to have a penis of some sort

Actually, "sodomy" is defined as "any form of sexual intercourse held to be unnatural or abnormal", so regular girl-girl stuff qualifies.

Also... think about it... you think God, the creator of all, is happy when he sees 2 of his sons bum rushing? Men and Women pro-create together for a reason, because thats what God intended. If you were God and you created Males and Females to be together, and then you saw them boinking eachother, would u be a happy God or a vengefal God?? Ever hear of Sodom and Gamora... God destroyed the city because of all the sins, including Homo-sexuality.

Well clearly, God doesn't give a rat's ass, given his lack of comment on the matter.

Sorry but NOBODY is born gay. I have a gay friend who is gay because hes a rebel, he doesnt have to be. So your theory is wasted.

Were you born ignorant or was that a choice too?

Ignorant... im telling you what my friend says. I happen to know it is a choice because I choose to be straight because thats normal. :)

Sam, I too have encountered people that are gay by choice, or at least pretend to be gay.

However, I'll have to state that most gay people actually are gay. I don't know if they are born that way, whether its a genetic or mental defect, but I don't think the vast majority of gays could just change their minds tomorrow.

Ignorant... im telling you what my friend says. I happen to know it is a choice because I choose to be straight because thats normal.

It's weird that so many people who don't like gays and profess to find the whole lifestyle "unnatural" always have gay friends. And it's also weird that these gay friends seem to hold views that echo or support those of their anti-gay buddies. Very weird...

Sam, I too have encountered people that are gay by choice, or at least pretend to be gay.

However, I'll have to state that most gay people actually are gay. I don't know if they are born that way, whether its a genetic or mental defect, but I don't think the vast majority of gays could just change their minds tomorrow.

The problem is, you're viewing sexuality as a bianary: gay/straight. One or the other. Well, it doesn't work that way. There's a continuum at work with extremes on both sides, but a lot of room in the middle. But I don't think sexuality is a concious choice. You go with what feels right.

Silence is consent.

My vote today in the federal election supports my disagreement with gay marriage.

I'm not about to tell other people what to do with their private life, but don't try and tell me 2 homos are equal but merely different to a real married couple. That's a load of crap.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in my understanding, marriage is composed of 2 parts... The traditional marriage, spelled out in the bible, held in a church and led by a minister, well it would seem that marriage is a religious thing. So unless gays found a place in the Bible, they just can't be married. Now the other half of the equation is the legal half, the shared finances, debts, insurance, the peice of paper that says you're married. Personally I think these should be two totally seperate entities and only a man and woman, both of age and consenting should be married. If 2 gay people want a civil union so if one dies the other gets the life insurance or whatever, fine, but then I want to be able to have a civil union with anyone I want, like my dog, brother, some homeless guy i meet on the street that I want to put on my insurance. Don't tell me that's different because the gay couple are in love where I'm not in love with the homeless guy, because love would fall under traditions of morals and emotions, where the government has no grounds to set guidelines.

Agreed. And not only that, but we are actually talking about same sex marriage here. I heard a while back about two straight guys who want to get married simply for the civil benefits.

Should you have to prove you are gay to get married to a same sex spouse?

Maybe it's a law that you have to consumate your marriage for it to be legal? How can you do that in somebodies a**??

.........random thoughts.........

Agreed. And not only that, but we are actually talking about same sex marriage here. I heard a while back about two straight guys who want to get married simply for the civil benefits.

Maybe it's a law that you have to consumate your marriage for it to be legal? How can you do that in somebodies a**??

Those two straight guys got a civil union. They are currently 'married'.

Those two straight guys got a civil union. They are currently 'married'.

So what, have'nt you ever heard of man and women marrying for convenience?

Concerning the topic of gay marriage imposing on one's self... The fact that my neighbor has a gay relationship doesn't concern me at all. It might turn my stomach but I can deal with that. However I would love to raise my kids on the foundation that was laid out long ago, by much more honorable people than we see common nowdays. I wish I could have been alive in the fifties, when morality, loyalty and honor were features worth supporting in a society. I want my daughter to know that if she wishes to fall in love and be happy, she may find love in a man who is worthy of her attention, get married and raise a family. We have become very liberal, people get married on teusday and divorced on thursday and no wonder, they hardly knew eachother. Kids are having sex at 13 years old and younger and this has nothing to do with the lack of morality in our society? I dated a bi-sexual girl for 6 months, she was as sexually premiscuious as they come, while I kept my eyes off of beautiful women to ensure I never had a slight thought of straying, she wanted to invite them home. I do not want to raise kids in this kind of an atmosphere. Yes, I'm sure there are gay people out there that are perfectly sane and rational, but then I have to ask, why do you not enjoy the company of the opposite sex? Our bodies were made male / female for a damn good biological reason and it wasn't just sexual pleasure. Can you not embrace your designated role as one or the other because of a past experience? If so you made the decision to be gay based on a psychological imprint, that should be treated, not embraced. I'm sorry but premiscious sex and gay relationships fit into the same category, sexual release without lifetime commitment. I'm not perfect in this area, few of us are but I don't march in parades to justify my sins and I don't ask that a court condone what I do in the bedroom so why do you think you can?