B.C.'s 'safe supply' drugs being sold by organized crime across Canada: RCMP

https://nationalpost.com/news/opiate-from-bcs-safe-supply-drugs-being-sold-by-organized-crime-across-canada-rcmp

“Organized crime groups are actively involved in the redistribution of safe supply and prescription drugs,” said Corp. Jennifer Cooper of the RCMP’s Prince George detachment.

“Many of the pills that were seized had been prescribed to specific individuals but were found all collected together, no longer belonging to those individuals,” she added. “It might mean how we regulate our safe supply might need a sober second glance.”

Well this is just effing great. Gone are the days when we used to make criminal gangs go through the effort of smuggling their illegal goods into the country. We are far nicer now, we simply buy them their supply and they get to resell it at 100% profit.

Can we please quit pretending that safe supply has any benefit whatsoever? It has been yet another disaster of a social experiment that is done vastly more harm than good. Gee who would have thunk it

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Who is surprised???

The bc gov't is still desperately trying to defend it and those who advocated for it are still frantically saying "the problem is we need to do it 'moar' ". 

It's an unmitigated disaster but there's many who let there idology get in the way of the facts to try to defend the program.

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Who is surprised???

Not me.  Is it fair to say prohibition has been a mitigated blessing? Of course not, its another social experiment that has been accomplished with no more success or competence.

I'm not surprised in the least.  Competence always seems to be the missing ingredient with government programs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Not me.  Is it fair to say prohibition has been a mitigated blessing? .

For sure. Doing nothing and buying the drugs for the dealers were far worse, so it's a success although as you say mitigated. It's not a 100 percent complete success.

15 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

For sure. Doing nothing and buying the drugs for the dealers were far worse, so it's a success although as you say mitigated. It's not a 100 percent complete success.

I doubt if the safe drug supply has been the %100 failure you're implying it is.

So what would an example of safe supply look like? Alcohol. Is it 100% successful? No. So why haven't we given up on it?

26 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I doubt if the safe drug supply has been the %100 failure you're implying it is.

Well it has. Or close enough as makes no difference. 

The only "success" they've been able to show is very very short term, very quickly users go back to being a problem and their 'safe drugs' are being sold across the country creating new addicts

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well it has. Or close enough as makes no difference. 

Like prohibition then.

So my question still stands, what would a safe supply look like?

Is there such a thing as safe prohibition?

So my question still stands, what would a safe supply look like?

What's the opposite of a trainwreck.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

So what would an example of safe supply look like? Alcohol. Is it 100% successful? No. So why haven't we given up on it?

I disagree.

Here in Ottawa, 2 of the safe injection sites are shut down because they cannot service all the addicts. There are more addicts now than ever before. There is no consequence to being an addict and with free drugs, it has become an entertainment choice.

The safe injection sites and free drug program is an abject failure. Has done nothing except make more people addicted to drugs.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

The safe injection sites and free drug program is an abject failure. Has done nothing except make more people addicted to drugs.

My guess is that they're probably not getting the drugs they want.

As I've said before, we should probably put Keith Richards in charge of the whole issue.

7 minutes ago, eyeball said:

My guess is that they're probably not getting the drugs they want.

As I've said before, we should probably put Keith Richards in charge of the whole issue.

The drugs they want are dangerous. They WANT the high that comes with the dangerous drugs like fentynal.

So it is impossible to provide a 'safe supply' of what they want.  What you are saying is that safe supply can't work.  The data would seem to agree with you.

10 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

What you are saying is that safe supply can't work.

What I'm saying is that neither does prohibition.

That said do something about the incompetence that pervades all aspects of the issue and who knows what possible?

49 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What I'm saying is that neither does prohibition.

It works insanely better.

Booze can be made safe.  People are quite happy with the buzz that beer which DOESN"T kill you provides.  So control and distribution becomes a viable option. They're not selling the beer they get to raise money to buy rubbing alcohol to drink or the like.

These drugs cannot be made safe. So 'safe supply' is a non existant pipe dream that doesn't exist.   All this program does is create more addicts while killing just as many people at great cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

Not me.  Is it fair to say prohibition has been a mitigated blessing? Of course not, its another social experiment that has been accomplished with no more success or competence.

I'm not surprised in the least.  Competence always seems to be the missing ingredient with government programs.

Why is this a government responsibility to start with...It is people making a choice in their lives...a choice that means they could die from their habit......Do they give alcoholics free booze, why is that...maybe and i think it has already been brought up, because everyone in Canada would become an alcoholic to get their free beer... It's a stupid idea, from stupid people...

close the injection sites, stop giving junkies what they want, it is time they take responsibility for their own lives, start a massive education program about drugs and their effects, " show the public what it life looks as a junkie"  declare war on drugs and gangs...Start sending china back it's fentanyl...

Edited by Army Guy

Just now, eyeball said:

Sure, do it competently and it just might work.

But seriously, what are the chances of that ever happening?

Here in Canada zero we can't seem to do anything right...Currently what ever we are doing today is not making any difference as well, so we either double down on war on drugs or let them take over our cities...They made their choice , let us make ours...

1 minute ago, Army Guy said:

Here in Canada zero we can't seem to do anything right...

Correct.

So in the context of the topic I guess it just comes down to deciding if going to war works better.

Duarte gave it the olde college try. What do you think of the results? Maybe he just didn't try hard enough.

13 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Correct.

So in the context of the topic I guess it just comes down to deciding if going to war works better.

Duarte gave it the olde college try. What do you think of the results? Maybe he just didn't try hard enough.

Public executions' are frowned upon here in Canada, that being said do you think they still have a drug problem...

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Go tell it to Keith Richards.

why? Will he be saying something at the funerals of the 2500 dead people who died of overdoses last year while we screwed around with 'safe supply'?  Our highest year yet?

Pretty much.  But that's true of anything society decides to make criminal.  I mean - there's still murders and we have laws against that so there you go but making murder legal wouldn't be better so we pick that fight.

Of course with drugs we can pair that fight with a very strong effort to provide rehabilitation. You can save another 20 -30 percent with that.

But we're not going to save them all no matter what we do.

Sadly some drugs are just too unsafe.  Making booze legal - fine, it can be safely used for the most part. Making dope legal? Fine - it can be safely used. Maybe mushrooms or some other drugs could be considered, i haven't read the latest.  But - for stuff like the hard crap the addicts are stuck on it just can't be made safe.

9 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Public executions' are frowned upon here in Canada, that being said do you think they still have a drug problem...

Sure, they still have a war that's costing thousands of lives too. That said, I'm sure you'll find people who say it's working.

I guess the incompetence stems from approaching the problem of drug use ass-backwards, from the supply side. You need to wage a war on the demand side.

Start killing buyers and see what happens. This could all be over within Poilievre's first term.

11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

why? Will he be saying something at the funerals of the 2500 dead people who died of overdoses last year while we screwed around with 'safe supply'?  Our highest year yet?

No, he might be able to point you to wherever he's been getting his supply. Doesn't seem to have done him any harm after decades of hard drug use.

14 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

But - for stuff like the hard crap the addicts are stuck on it just can't be made safe.

Keith Richards notwithstanding.

Sure, they still have a war that's costing thousands of lives too. That said, I'm sure you'll find people who say it's working.

I guess the incompetence stems from approaching the problem of drug use ass-backwards, from the supply side. You need to wage a war on the demand side.

Start killing buyers and see what happens. This could all be over within Poilievre's first term.

There already killing themselves, stop reviving them every 5 minutes and they will eventually die out...just need to keep the leftist on side...