Artificial Intelligence: Feared By Many, Understood By Few (Or, "Meet The New Boss -- Same As The Old Boss")

I come back to the matter of A.I. because the absence of any comments to a previous posting of mine here indicates that precious few people actually know enough about it in order to submit any follow-up comments, or opinions on the matter...

Did we not get regular hand-wringing public warnings about A.I. from "insiders" like Elon Musk and Bill Gates advising the planet to steer well-clear of it...? It was enough to make even me dread the reality of some consequent superior hardware-software Frankenstein nemesis to elevate itself to the fore & systematically commit genocide upon the entire human race, not at all unlike that roboticized-mechanized computer-driven "Nomad" satellite did in a late 1960's episode of the TV series "Star Trek". But suddenly & with absolutely no warning whatsoever in the past few months, the media is just replete with stories of A.I.'s open presence in our midst right now! In fact, its effects are threatening to compromise political discussion-policies, it os already influencing what our kids are learning in schools, it's affecting the advertising industry, it's having a twistong-turning effect upon the news in general, etc. etc. etc.

How was it that I managed somehow to sleep through this revolutionary transformation...? What was the exact date on the calendar when we opened-up this A.I. Pandora's Box, anyway...? I don't recall any consequent hoopla & charisma erupting from A.I.'s release out of the genie's bottle -- do you...? Or was it all some sort of a nefariously devious plot executed by A.I. itself, to make it so...?!

From what I've seen so far, Artificial Intelligence is lacking that one key element featured in its very name: "intelligence". It strikes me as being little more -- again -- than a computerized "cut & paste" exercise melded with PhotoShop, only much more refined & seamless. The prime force behind its vaunted & heralded capabilities still remains that very same proverbial "man behind the curtain"  who is using A.I. as nothing more than a tool to advance his-her own personal agenda upon others, for reasons known only to him-her. A.I. is hardly any sort of a "self-starting" force to be reckoned with -- it has a master pulling levers & yanking cords in order to make it follow his directions. It's hardly the other way around as all of the warnings had professed.

So what am I missing here, besides my participation in any "mass hysteria" that is...? Somebody -- a flesh & blood somebody -- has always lusted for power & dominion over others throughout humankind's history & evolution: I simply can't see persons of that inclination-disposition willingly surrender the possibilities of a superior position over others to a machine, be it "intelligent" or otherwise. I can however, appreciate how these very same persons would readily embrace that part of A.I. that might execute their handiwork far more swiftly & convincingly than they themselves might. In other words, to utilize the advantages of computer-generated A.I. as a tool to benefit them. And not the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 5:29 AM, Eddy said:

From what I've seen so far, Artificial Intelligence is lacking that one key element featured in its very name: "intelligence".

It seems to me, so far at least, that AI could just as easily stand for Artificial Idiocy given some of the silly uses it seems to be getting put to.

Maybe Skynet will evolve a sense of humour and we'll all die laughing.

• 1 month later...

Your question captures a common sentiment surrounding artificial intelligence (AI). While AI has the potential to revolutionize industries and improve lives, there's also a fear of the unknown. Many people are uncertain about what AI is capable of and how it will impact society, which can lead to apprehension and mistrust.

"Meet The New Boss -- Same As The Old Boss" highlights a concern that AI could perpetuate existing power structures or create new ones, potentially exacerbating inequalities or ethical dilemmas. It reflects the idea that while AI introduces novel capabilities, it doesn't necessarily change fundamental dynamics in society.

To bridge the gap between fear and understanding, it's crucial to promote education and awareness about AI. By fostering a deeper understanding of AI's capabilities, limitations, and ethical considerations, we can empower individuals to engage with AI technologies responsibly and shape their development in ways that benefit society as a whole.

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

, we can empower individuals to engage with AI technologies responsibly and shape their development in ways that benefit society as a whole.

Yes, and I have done this finally. I asked it to write. Put together some short stories on topics, themes and with characters I specified. It created a convincing, if bland, wallpaper prose for me.

Cute, but it's just a mechanical extension of what has been happening to intellectualism in the human world. 

The real breakthrough will be when people learn to tell the difference between imitators and the real deal in that world. 

In the meantime, I will refer to AI as adept imitation.

If you think about how much our daily life revolves around computers/the internet now, it becomes crystal clear how much influence AI can have on our society.

Just imagine how many people would be out of work tomorrow if the internet ceased to exist...

All of the computers linked to the internet and all of the login codes that we have are susceptible to hacking. 

We get all of our news and info through web searches now.

AI can basically own us soon if we're not careful. We're becoming cyborgs - reliant on technology for life - and they could soon control our tech-minds. 

AI is here to stay.. like it or not. First, it is going to take over the repetitive, transactional based labor that you used to do at a factory. Robots do not call in sick or complain about working conditions. Second, they are already starting to creep into some accounting fields... payroll being the big one. You submit the data and an AI-based program creates the reports, submits the tax payments, and issues paychecks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 12:52 PM, impartialobserver said:

AI is here to stay.. like it or not. First, it is going to take over the repetitive, transactional based labor...

Sorta disagree.

1. Robots will never be able to clean a room. (We'll find a way to make a mess.)

2. AI will never be able to replace a writer. (AI is based on coorelation - not causation.)

Edited by August1991

On 4/28/2024 at 12:59 AM, August1991 said:

Sorta disagree.

1. Robots will never be able to clean a room. (We'll find a way to make a mess.)

2. AI will never be able to replace a writer. (AI is based on coorelation - not causation.)

Cleaning in a room is not the same as that repetitive motion factory job where you never move your feet and execute the same motions over and over again.