Our Census Form vs Their Ballot

15 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

That's called democracy.  It's not like a census form at all, which is used to extract your personal information.  They want their anonymous opinion for consensual law-making, not to invade their privacy.

You mean it is just like a census form then. Except it wants your opinions on issues not facts like how many people they need to plan schools and hospitals for.

Yeah, i ran into plenty of people with that 'privacy bullshit doing a census. They want your info to "control you' maybe stick nanobots in your head, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, herbie said:

You mean it is just like a census form then. Except it wants your opinions on issues not facts like how many people they need to plan schools and hospitals for.

Yeah, i ran into plenty of people with that 'privacy bullshit doing a census. They want your info to "control you' maybe stick nanobots in your head, right?

Anonymous opinions are different than non-anonymous census records.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 1:20 AM, Moonlight Graham said:

That's called democracy.  It's not like a census form at all, which is used to extract your personal information.  They want their anonymous opinion for consensual law-making, not to invade their privacy.

Disagree.

====

In Canada, we go in person,  show who we are,  and then behind a blind, we put  an  X beside a single name.

Edited by August1991

5 hours ago, August1991 said:

Disagree.

====

In Canada, we go in person,  show who we are,  and then behind a blind, we put  an  X beside a single name.

You don't put your name or any personal information on an election ballot.

4 hours ago, August1991 said:

Nowadays, since 2020 or so, the American vote/ballot is like our Canadian census form.

Young people want to do good.

Do they put their name or any identifying info on the ballot?

In Canada, the provincial/federal ballot/vote is merely one check box on a ballot.

In municipal elections, we sometimes have several ballots.

In Canada, I have lived in several provinces, we vote in person - several (scrutineers) check before voting.

=======

I was surprised to learn that a US vote/ballot is like our Census form, with many questions and many check boxes.

Voted once and there were signs outside and inside on the walls of the polling place, plus a notice right at the station you marked your ballot "this guy is dead, died after the ballots were printed".
He came in 2nd.

Last election we got 2 balots. One was for City Council & Mayor and the School Board was the other. One blue, one green went in different boxes.
Both could have easily been on one ballot.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:20 PM, herbie said:

Voted once and there were signs outside and inside on the walls of the polling place....

I have been to voting places in different countries, how different people vote.

I have even watched how they count.

====

It is striking that voting in America is like completing a Canadian census form.

To vote in a federal election in Canada, we have a single paper/ballot and put one X beside one name.

In the US, depending on the State, voting is now more like our Canadian Census Form. Many questions, I received several, I can mail as I wish.

Yes I did my stint in Cdn polling places too. I can't believe that in the USA they'd be so lax that id10ts could claim massive fraud like Trump did and have anyone believe it.
Maybe they should send UN Observers to oversee their 2024 elections.

That was why I wasn't for your purple thumb idea in Canada. Your are checked against a registry, counted by hand under the noses of all parties scrutineers, If there's any issues -  like out of your area or riding, you were witnessed as eligible, not on their voter list etc, it goes into a separate  (used to call it section eight) and is only counted on recounts or disputes.
And I do know many weirdos who don't vote out of laziness and so-called "religious" objection who deserve to be brushed to the wayside.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, herbie said:

Yes I did my stint in Cdn polling places too. I can't believe that in the USA they'd be so lax that id10ts could claim massive fraud like Trump did and have anyone believe it.
Maybe they should send UN Observers to oversee their 2024 elections.

Trump in 2024? How about Democrats in 2020? It's unbelievable.

As I say, Americans now treat their ballots the way we treat our census forms.

Imagine.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, herbie said:

That was why I wasn't for your purple thumb idea in Canada. Your are checked against a registry, counted by hand under the noses of all parties scrutineers, If there's any issues -  like out of your area or riding, you were witnessed as eligible, not on their voter list etc, it goes into a separate  (used to call it section eight) and is only counted on recounts or disputes.
And I do know many weirdos who don't vote out of laziness and so-called "religious" objection who deserve to be brushed to the wayside.

1. Early voting, by mail?

1a. Permanent ink on a finger means I voted.

1b. Signal: Like a Rolex - it indicates  - I live in a democracy.

2. Leftist Americans have missed the point.

You know the difference between ballots and census forms? You don't have to fill in every part of the ballot.

That's why Single TranSferable  ballots failed here. I have to pick 3 and rank them? Duh, that's too hard.....

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2024 at 11:12 PM, herbie said:

You know the difference between ballots and census forms? You don't have to fill in every part of the ballot.

That's why Single TranSferable  ballots failed here. I have to pick 3 and rank them? Duh, that's too hard.....

I favour permanent purple ink on the right thumb.

Around the world, this would be a signal of voting in a democracy.

You can't vote twice.

You  know what a circular argument is? Trying to support your idea just by going back to the idea itself.
You have delivered zero proof of any reason or benefit from ink stamping besides wagging it in others faces to pride yourself.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:51 PM, herbie said:

You  know what a circular argument is? Trying to support your idea just by going back to the idea itself.
You have delivered zero proof of any reason or benefit from ink stamping besides wagging it in others faces to pride yourself.

I still feel strongly that people should vote in person, and raise their thumb in purple to show that they voted.

People should be proud to show that they voted, secretly - in a democracy.