Canada Sees Unemployed Workers Rise Nearly 20% In Just One Year

https://betterdwelling.com/canada-sees-unemployed-workers-rise-nearly-20-in-just-one-year/

Canada’s economy continues to struggle with job creation that keeps up with its population. Statistics Canada (Stat Can) data shows the unemployment rate was unchanged in December. However, the population growth means nearly 20% more unemployed than last year. That excludes the demand for work from international students—many attracted by promises of working extended hours while they study.

Canada Added 202k More Workers Than Jobs Over The Past Year

Canada’s record population boom continues to add more people than jobs. The working-age population (15 years or older) rose 0.22% (+74.2k people) to 32.95 million in December. At the same time, the number of employed individuals rose 0.02% (+4.8k) to 21.56 million over the same period. The combination helped to drive the employment rate 0.2 points lower to 61.6%. Roughly 2 in 5 working-age adults are unemployed or not in the market for work—a relatively high level considering Canada is the youngest G7 country. 

Over the past year, the labor force has added 632k people to reach 21.56 million people. During that period, the economy added 430k jobs to hit 20.31 million. Failing to keep up with growth is creating a lot of unemployment, an issue obfuscated by the rate.

• Sad 1

So we're in a panicked rush to bring it more people than ever before each and ever year....  and for a year the number of employable people outpaced job growth. And unemployment is flat.

I sense that we are on the edge of a major economic downturn where suddenly a lot of people have to look for work and enter the work force at the same time that jobs dry up.

If something doesnt change we could be looking at years of skipping along the edge of a recession with no real growth and serious stagflation.

Rising unemployment is not necessarily a bad thing. It may relieve pressure on Bank of Canada and lower interest rates and also dampen this persistent inflation as people's power to purchase will decrease and hence lower prices. Also government cannot use the excuse of label shortage to import undesirables from third world countries into Canada, Stop the damn immigration.

42 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Rising unemployment is not necessarily a bad thing. It may relieve pressure on Bank of Canada and lower interest rates and also dampen this persistent inflation as people's power to purchase will decrease and hence lower prices. Also government cannot use the excuse of label shortage to import undesirables from third world countries into Canada, Stop the damn immigration.

Well what you're talking about is recession and yes, that absolutely does tend to have an impact on interest rates but at the cost of people having less money and there being less taxes (which means more borrowing or fewer services)

Now - banks have been known to drive economies to recession to fight inflation and that's what raising interest rates is all about.  But the thing is - when you do it with interest rates you can always lower the interest rates later and help pull the economy back out of recession.  You can't just send these people home, they're here now.

So unless you have a plan for safely stimulating the economy to grow at a healthy pace without putting strains on inflation you create a permanent anchor on the economy that lowers everyone's standard of living and prosperity for years and years, long after interest rates are back under control.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well what you're talking about is recession and yes, that absolutely does tend to have an impact on interest rates but at the cost of people having less money and there being less taxes (which means more borrowing or fewer services)

Now - banks have been known to drive economies to recession to fight inflation and that's what raising interest rates is all about.  But the thing is - when you do it with interest rates you can always lower the interest rates later and help pull the economy back out of recession.  You can't just send these people home, they're here now.

So unless you have a plan for safely stimulating the economy to grow at a healthy pace without putting strains on inflation you create a permanent anchor on the economy that lowers everyone's standard of living and prosperity for years and years, long after interest rates are back under control.

No I call it soft landing. The bank governor must find a good balance between damping the growth and inflation. What you describe is Reaganism exercised in the 80's. They raised interest rates violently without any consideration for the growth to 20% and hence pushed the economy into a deep and long recession. They brought down inflation from 12% to 3% in just 2 years but at a very heavy human cost. They put tens of millions out of work losing their home, jobs, family, It was a slaughter. Since then economists have learned how to balance the rising interest rates with slowing growth in order to have soft landing.

Those who are here are welcome to stay if they contribute positively and accept the advanced western culture, however, if they wish to bring their problems to Canada, support terrorism, or disrespect women and other beliefs and democracy and western values and free speech then they must be kicked out. I hope the next conservative government will have planned to prevent Canada becoming like Europe is today.

55 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

No I call it soft landing.

That would literally be the exact opposite of a soft landing.

The bank governor must find a good balance between damping the growth and inflation. What you describe is Reaganism exercised in the 80's.

No - what on earth are you talking about? When did regan ever use large numbers of immigrants as a method of fighting inflation? You're losing it here i think - did you forget what you were talking about?

They raised interest rates violently without any consideration for the growth to 20% and hence pushed the economy into a deep and long recession. They brought down inflation from 12% to 3% in just 2 years but at a very heavy human cost.

That wasn't america - that was canada too. We did the same thing here except even more so because trudeau's extreme spending did even more to drive our inflation rates up.  You had carter and you had trudeau - they drove their economies red hot and the banks had to raise interest rates to deal with it.  Regan got in in 1981 - which was the year interest rates peaked. They went down while he was in office, he didn't raise them.

Mulroney had similar luck.

Sorry but you very clearly have no clue what you're talking about. 

They put tens of millions out of work losing their home, jobs, family, It was a slaughter. Since then economists have learned how to balance the rising interest rates with slowing growth in order to have soft landing.

Yeah - that was trudeau and carter. Two people who severely overspent and drove their economies into ruin and you had Regan and Mulroney who spent their two terms putting humpty dumpty back together again, both successfully.

Now we've got another democrat duo doing a re enactment and the same thing will happen only thanks to trudeau this time i'll be far worse for Canada than last time.

Those who are here are welcome to stay if they contribute positively and accept the advanced western culture,

No, as a matter of fact they literally can't.  Where are they going to stay? What doctors will serve their needs? what schools will educate their children? We DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH of ANY of those things to support the population growth!!

So their presence here drives the cost of living up PAST where it's affordable for people.  It doesn't matter if they're productive or if they're contribute or if they accept "advanced" culture, just being here makes people suffer.

This is the level of ignorance that gave us the suffering in the 80's you talked about - dumb people like you who can't see the basic math.  And as i said - those people won't go away so inflation stays higher than it should for longer than it should and job growth is weak and wage growth falls off and the cost of living remains insane.

Those are all BAD things.  Do you hate the next generation or something?

55 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

That would literally be the exact opposite of a soft landing.

No - what on earth are you talking about? When did regan ever use large numbers of immigrants as a method of fighting inflation? You're losing it here i think - did you forget what you were talking about?

That wasn't america - that was canada too. We did the same thing here except even more so because trudeau's extreme spending did even more to drive our inflation rates up.  You had carter and you had trudeau - they drove their economies red hot and the banks had to raise interest rates to deal with it.  Regan got in in 1981 - which was the year interest rates peaked. They went down while he was in office, he didn't raise them.

Mulroney had similar luck.

Sorry but you very clearly have no clue what you're talking about. 

Yeah - that was trudeau and carter. Two people who severely overspent and drove their economies into ruin and you had Regan and Mulroney who spent their two terms putting humpty dumpty back together again, both successfully.

Now we've got another democrat duo doing a re enactment and the same thing will happen only thanks to trudeau this time i'll be far worse for Canada than last time.

No, as a matter of fact they literally can't.  Where are they going to stay? What doctors will serve their needs? what schools will educate their children? We DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH of ANY of those things to support the population growth!!

So their presence here drives the cost of living up PAST where it's affordable for people.  It doesn't matter if they're productive or if they're contribute or if they accept "advanced" culture, just being here makes people suffer.

This is the level of ignorance that gave us the suffering in the 80's you talked about - dumb people like you who can't see the basic math.  And as i said - those people won't go away so inflation stays higher than it should for longer than it should and job growth is weak and wage growth falls off and the cost of living remains insane.

Those are all BAD things.  Do you hate the next generation or something?

You clearly don't have the capacity to understand. You are the dumb poster, not me. You totally mis-quote me on everything that I said or suggested. Where on earth did I said that it was Reagan's high immigration policy to fight inflation?. I said it was his high interest rate policy to slow down people's purchacing power to manufacture a deep recession (occurred in 1982) in order to fight off inflation. 

So what are you suggesting? Deport legal permanent residents or citizens for no reason ? This is not Nazi Germany. For example you want me out after contributing nearly half a million dollars to tax revenues past 25 years because I was not born here?

Those who contribute positively will generate tax revenues and hence more dollars for health and education. Those who go on social programs and stay on it for years will hurt the economy nut not every immigrant goes on social program. Many are hard working individuals. 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

You clearly don't have the capacity to understand. You are the dumb poster, not me. You totally mis-quote me on everything that I said or suggested.

No i quoted you entirely correctly,  Sorry kid - i get you now realize you were being dumb as a stump and trying to backtrack but you got it entirely wrong.

Where on earth did I said that it was Reagan's high immigration policy to fight inflation?.

Where i said immigration is a bad way to fight inflation and leads to long and deep economic problmes and you replied with "What you describe is Reaganism exercised in the 80's"

Not terribly bright are you.  it's right there for everyone to see

I said it was his high interest rate policy to slow down people's purchacing power to manufacture a deep recession (occurred in 1982) in order to fight off inflation. 

You went on to say that - and as i noted you were entirley wrong.  Interest rates had peaked as he took over and they fell after. 

So yes - you're dumber than  a stump there as well.

So what are you suggesting? Deport legal permanent residents or citizens for no reason ?

Why would you do that?  Man you just go from saying one dumb thing after another don't you.  Your parents must be so proud.

No, stupid, what you do is stop bringing in immigrants until you CAN provide for them. Or to be more accurate you reduce immigration to match growth in capacity, keeping it a litlte lower right now till we catch up a bit.  Yeah - we're going to have to suffer a bit due to the ones that are here already. Not much we can do about that.  But we can stop making the probem worse and eventually our capacity will grow to encompass the current surplus and then hopefully we won't be stupid enough to put the liberals in again in the future.

The problem as i noted was that immigration is exceeding capacity to provide for them.   But we still are building homes and such.

So we need to slow down to let our building and capacity catch up a bit AND fix the problems so we can keep up moving forward, and then we can have as much immigration as we want.

But right now - we are bringing in people faster than we are creating jobs, homes, medical capacity, eduation, etc for them.  Do you really need me to spell out why that rockets up inflation and on a long term basis?

4 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Nanos polls just out. 61% of Canadians wanting less immigration while inflation is number 1 concern,

What do you mean 'just'?

that's almost 2/3's of our people.  the vast majority.  and 7 percent unsure on top.

What you're saying is that literally most people want immigration reduced.  And every other poll says the same, the vast majority want it reduced.

And of that the vast vast majority  (about 5 out of 6) said it was because there isnt' enough infrastructure. not enough homes (number 1 reason) and or not enough medical and other services.

We cannot welcome more people than we can feed, house, and care for and canadians are realizing that.

Did you think you were actually proving that people DID want immigrants? You're insane.

50 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

What do you mean 'just'?

that's almost 2/3's of our people.  the vast majority.  and 7 percent unsure on top.

What you're saying is that literally most people want immigration reduced.  And every other poll says the same, the vast majority want it reduced.

And of that the vast vast majority  (about 5 out of 6) said it was because there isnt' enough infrastructure. not enough homes (number 1 reason) and or not enough medical and other services.

We cannot welcome more people than we can feed, house, and care for and canadians are realizing that.

Did you think you were actually proving that people DID want immigrants? You're insane.

Are you totally insane?. I am quoting my own post which is asking for a stop to immigration in future and you accuse me of wanting more immigrants. I think you are intellectually highly challenged to understan and firing stupid responses.

59 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

No i quoted you entirely correctly,  Sorry kid - i get you now realize you were being dumb as a stump and trying to backtrack but you got it entirely wrong.

Where i said immigration is a bad way to fight inflation and leads to long and deep economic problmes and you replied with "What you describe is Reaganism exercised in the 80's"

Not terribly bright are you.  it's right there for everyone to see

You went on to say that - and as i noted you were entirley wrong.  Interest rates had peaked as he took over and they fell after. 

So yes - you're dumber than  a stump there as well.

Why would you do that?  Man you just go from saying one dumb thing after another don't you.  Your parents must be so proud.

No, stupid, what you do is stop bringing in immigrants until you CAN provide for them. Or to be more accurate you reduce immigration to match growth in capacity, keeping it a litlte lower right now till we catch up a bit.  Yeah - we're going to have to suffer a bit due to the ones that are here already. Not much we can do about that.  But we can stop making the probem worse and eventually our capacity will grow to encompass the current surplus and then hopefully we won't be stupid enough to put the liberals in again in the future.

The problem as i noted was that immigration is exceeding capacity to provide for them.   But we still are building homes and such.

So we need to slow down to let our building and capacity catch up a bit AND fix the problems so we can keep up moving forward, and then we can have as much immigration as we want.

But right now - we are bringing in people faster than we are creating jobs, homes, medical capacity, eduation, etc for them.  Do you really need me to spell out why that rockets up inflation and on a long term basis?

As I said You are intellectually very challenged and firing stupid irrelevant responses.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

35 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Are you bloody insane?. I am quoting my own post which is asking for a stop to immigration in future and you accuse me of wanting more immigrants. I think you are intellectually highly challenged to understan and firing stupid responses.

You didn't quote anything  at all, that was a fresh post.

So now you dont' even know what 'quote' means.

You're a complete useless tool.   You make statements and then just pretend you didn't, you've now got 'imaginary quotes' and you accuse american presidents of things that happened before they got in office at random.

As I said You are intellectually very challenged and firing stupid irrelevant responses.

So what you're saying is you can't refute a single thing i said and have no defense for your stupidity.  You just said a bunch of crap that was wrong and now you feel like an 1diot and you want it to be my  fault. Typical.

Go home and get your diaper changed Jr,  the adults are talking.

28 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

It's utterly revolting that Trudeau is still carrying on like he's going to run for PM again. I don't think I've ever hated anybody as much as I hate Trudeau. 

Oh i think he's going to run for PM again.

I think his plan is to hope that trump wins and then scare everyone that PP will be just like trump and we already have one trump and  hoplefully interest rates will come down a bit.

He's already doing this btw - one reporter commented that it's funny how some states are working so hard to get trump off the ballots in their states while justin is working so hard to get trump on the ballot in Canada,

As far as the immigration goes i think he thinks it will rack up his gdp and he'll have some sort of good news - but i think the problems it's causing are coming home to roost sooner than expected and he's not sure what to do.  So he's just stomping on the gas pedal  and hoping for the best,

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CdnFox said:

You didn't quote anything  at all, that was a fresh post.

So now you dont' even know what 'quote' means.

You're a complete useless tool.   You make statements and then just pretend you didn't, you've now got 'imaginary quotes' and you accuse american presidents of things that happened before they got in office at random.

So what you're saying is you can't refute a single thing i said and have no defense for your stupidity.  You just said a bunch of crap that was wrong and now you feel like an 1diot and you want it to be my  fault. Typical.

Go home and get your diaper changed Jr,  the adults are talking.

You are such an idi*t. I won't talk to you again. I encourahe Members to stop debating with this mentally challenged person. So go ahead and talk to yourself.

1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

You are such an idi*t. I won't talk to you again. I encourahe Members to stop debating with this mentally challenged person. So go ahead and talk to yourself.

ROFLMAO - so you say something stupid, it's my fault, and now you want to try to cancel me :)

Well typical left wing loser  :)  Don't go away mad - just go away.

31 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Here's Fox again, arguing against points that he made up in his little head, and debating with himself. 🤣

Here's moonbox again - Continuing his tradition of following me around with pointless attacks after i kicked his butt yet again in a discussion because he decided to choose being stupid.  Yawn  :)

On 1/7/2024 at 10:21 PM, CdnFox said:

Here's moonbox again - Continuing his tradition of following me around with pointless attacks after i kicked his butt yet again in a discussion because he decided to choose being stupid.  Yawn  :)

CNDFOXirony.thumb.png.73aee11189326363c7801b862c65755c.png

This gem keeps delivering the laughs.  🤣

10 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

CNDFOXirony.thumb.png.73aee11189326363c7801b862c65755c.png

This gem keeps delivering the laughs.  🤣

ROFLMAO - where did i tell you that you lost?

I just noted that after you do you always follow me around with random pointless attacks trying desperately and in vain to salvage some tiny part of your ego :)   Just like this :)  Nobody had to tell you that you lost apparently :)

BUt i do love that you've got a folder on your computer with screenshots of things i said just in case they're almost relevant :).  Kinda creepy - like keeping little dolls of people you consider your enemies or something :)    Hang on to it, what  i said was true so you'll need it the next time a bunch of people are laughing at you like that last thread :)

29 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

ROFLMAO - where did i tell you that you lost?

I understand that you're yap yap yapping in so many threads at once that you can't remember all of the dumb things you say:

On 1/7/2024 at 10:21 PM, CdnFox said:

Here's moonbox again - Continuing his tradition of following me around with pointless attacks after i kicked his butt yet again in a discussion because he decided to choose being stupid. 

With the countless hours and days you spend here vainly trying to convince people that you've won, you've kicked their butt, you've made them look stupid etc, you look pretty foolish.  After all, in your own words:

CNDFOXirony.thumb.png.b0c0b3bd6796a713e86d85cf0944a09e.png 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I understand that you're yap yap yapping in so many threads at once that you can't remember all of the dumb things you say:

Well you have to keep in mind- it's much easier for you because EVERYTHING you say is dumb, so you don't have to remember :)

***munch munch munch*** 🍿  :)  

LOL - how did you get to be so broken?