Norway - Is it sustainable?

August1991

12 hours ago, Aristides said:

It is ruled by the EU parliament in Brussels. Germany has the most clout because it is the largest and wealthiest country. Just like the US in NATO and North America. Germany has been instrumental in bailing out weaker members.

The point is, Norway owes much of its affluence to the EU whether it is a member or not.

Obviously not.

3 of the top 4 richest European countries decided not to go join the German plan to dominate Europe  European Union.

2 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Obviously not.

3 of the top 4 richest European countries decided not to go join the German plan to dominate Europe  European Union.

Obviously yes. Germany is Norway's biggest trading partner and it has a trade surplus with most EU countries. Being part of the Schengen Zone also allows for free movement between countries for EU and Norwegian citizens.

Germany doesn't dominate the EU even though it has the largest economy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_institutions_of_the_European_Union

Considering a major object of the EU was to make countries so interdependent they wouldn't go to war and Western Europe has had its longest period of peace in history, it has been pretty successful.  

Edited by Aristides

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

Germany doesn't dominate the EU

This was one of the funniest thing I've read, ever.

I remember the crisis in 2011 when Germany forced southern countries to pay back loans Germany gave to them with very high interest rates while they knew these southern countries could not pay them back.

39 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I remember the crisis in 2011 when Germany forced southern countries to pay back loans Germany gave to them with very high interest rates while they knew these southern countries could not pay them back.

Germany totally dominates the EU.

1 hour ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Greece was in default of a 245 billion Euro loan from the EU and the IMF. They couldn't expect other countries to bail them out forever.

https://www.politico.eu/article/tsipras-greece-greeks-vat-imf-loan-bank-eurogroup/

https://www.politico.eu/article/greece-defaults-international-monetary-fund-bailout-loan-grexit-greece-crisis/

Apparently they could pay it back.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/04/05/greece-repays-imf-debt-two-years-ahead-of-schedule-says-finance-minister

Edited by Aristides

On 11/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, August1991 said:

Norway has an economy based on oil.

Norway’s economy is less dependent on oil than Canada’s.  If that’s why you’re asking if it’s sustainable , then I would say it is more sustainable than Canada.  

On 11/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, August1991 said:

Unlike we North Americans, Norwegians cannot even get along with others. Norway is not part of of the EC,

Norway gets along just fine with the EU.   

Unlike North American countries, there are zero border checkpoints between Norway, Sweden and Finland.  Your vague and confusing analyses in your post are, once again, deeply flawed and show a complete lack of understanding. 

27 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Unlike North American countries, there are zero border checkpoints between Norway, Sweden and Finland.  Your vague and confusing analyses in your post are, once again, deeply flawed and show a complete lack of understanding. 

Because they are all part of the Schengen Zone. 

• 2 months later...