Natural gas should be a public resource again

There are really preposterous amounts of natural gas "in reserve."  Under the normal law of supply-and-demand, it should be cheap and affordable to all.

But instead, governments have judged that the market is best served by big companies who limit supply to increase prices.  I think the economy would get a much larger boost from affordable gas than from any tax revenue from monopolistic companies. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, Griswold said:

There are really preposterous amounts of natural gas "in reserve."  Under the normal law of supply-and-demand, it should be cheap and affordable to all.

But instead, governments have judged that the market is best served by big companies who limit supply to increase prices.  I think the economy would get a much larger boost from affordable gas than from any tax revenue from monopolistic companies. 

Governments have judged?? Or perhaps market has spoken??

57 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm betting the market's players have had a few cozy conversations with the government's judges.

Yeah sure...blame the  government for stuff that does not sell or have market value.

Fact is that if someone wants it, there will be a market.

Feds want to sell natural gas but there are some provinces that just won't let it happen (Quebec, BC)

16 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Yeah sure...blame the  government for stuff that does not sell or have market value.

That's not what I did.

Fact is that if someone wants it, there will be a market.

Feds want to sell natural gas but there are some provinces that just won't let it happen (Quebec, BC)

Get the feds to talk to BC who is making it happen as we speak. It should be easy for the feds to sidestep Quebec and transport LNG to Eastern Canada now. Put some of the carbon tax money towards building natural gas infrastructure there to receive and distribute BC gas.

Edited by eyeball

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That's not what I did.

Get the feds to talk to BC who is making it happen as we speak. It should be easy for the feds to sidestep Quebec and transport LNG to Eastern Canada now. Put some of the carbon tax money towards building natural gas infrastructure there to receive and distribute BC gas.

What can I say, if someone want to buy it, then they will.

If the producers cannot get it to market, well, ....

No government since confederation has been able to sidestep Quebec LOL

13 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

No government since confederation has been able to sidestep Quebec LOL

Someone should let the feds know about the Panama Canal. I can't think of anything that would make Quebec reconsider pipelines across their jurisdiction faster. 

Edited by eyeball

23 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Someone should let the feds know about the Panama Canal. I can't think of anything that would make Quebec reconsider pipelines across their jurisdiction faster. 

Are you actually saying to ship by tanker through the Panama Canal??? LOL

Ya gotta get it through BC too LOL

Enough already....

9 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Are you actually saying to ship by tanker through the Panama Canal??? LOL

Ya gotta get it through BC too LOL

Enough already....

Of course that's what I'm saying. Apparently you've never heard of Kitimat BC or the LNG tanker facility there. It'll be ready to ship gas in 2025. When will Eastern Canada be ready?

Oh and btw...in your face Alberta.

Edited by eyeball

53 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Of course that's what I'm saying. Apparently you've never heard of Kitimat BC or the LNG tanker facility there. It'll be ready to ship gas in 2025. When will Eastern Canada be ready?

Oh and btw...in your face Alberta.

And that LNG will be going where?

I ain't in Alberta nor an Albertan.

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

And that LNG will be going where?

Anywhere you want once it's loaded on a tanker. Asia by the sound of it. I simply pointed out to you that BC is not standing in the way of the feds selling gas. Recall we're also discussing this in the context of the thread's OP.

You seem to be in a strange state of amused denial that Eastern Canada couldn't be a market for BC gas. Seems to me there's an opportunity to ween Eastern Canada off stove oil here that could benefit everyone - maybe not Alberta but oh well.

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

Anywhere you want once it's loaded on a tanker. Asia by the sound of it. I simply pointed out to you that BC is not standing in the way of the feds selling gas. Recall we're also discussing this in the context of the thread's OP.

You seem to be in a strange state of amused denial that Eastern Canada couldn't be a market for BC gas. Seems to me there's an opportunity to ween Eastern Canada off stove oil here that could benefit everyone - maybe not Alberta but oh well.

Au contraire, Eastern Canada is a huge and wanting market for BC (?. Don't you mean Alberta LOL) gas.

The issue is the cost...how much is Alberta LNG (when they actually want oil not LNG) and vs Saudi oil???

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Au contraire, Eastern Canada is a huge and wanting market for BC (?. Don't you mean Alberta LOL) gas.

No. You didn't know BC has enormous gas reserves too?

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

The issue is the cost...how much is Alberta LNG (when they actually want oil not LNG) and vs Saudi oil???

What about the issues of switching to cleaner energy sources and that don't enrich dictators?

And again it's BC LNG not Alberta LNG.

You're talking to a typical cantservative looking at ancient information.

Unaware of several LNG export terminals being built in BC and the pipeline to Kitimat 99% done.
Unaware that LNG from US is already going through the Panama Canal to Japan, MOF headlines this weekend of an LNG tanker paying $4 million extra to jump to the head of the line.
Unaware that there is oil & gas production in BC (and Sask)
Unaware there is far less opposition to gas pipeline than to oil lines and there's never been serious discussion of one with Quebec.

Unaware. Ill informed. Dimwitted. Afraid to death being awake might be considered woke.

On 11/19/2023 at 6:13 PM, herbie said:

You're talking to a typical cantservative looking at ancient information.

Unaware of several LNG export terminals being built in BC and the pipeline to Kitimat 99% done.
Unaware that LNG from US is already going through the Panama Canal to Japan, MOF headlines this weekend of an LNG tanker paying $4 million extra to jump to the head of the line.
Unaware that there is oil & gas production in BC (and Sask)
Unaware there is far less opposition to gas pipeline than to oil lines and there's never been serious discussion of one with Quebec.

Unaware. Ill informed. Dimwitted. Afraid to death being awake might be considered woke.

Economics.....

Will it be economical enough to send it through the Panama Canal and up to the maritimes and all the infrastructure needed for it?

Shake your heads and let reality set in.

On 11/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, herbie said:

typical cantservative

Impossible tor mere humans to do.... too much money involved, don't even waste your time thinking about it. If God wanted Maritimers to use LNG he would have put it there.....

What a stupid thing to say.

Economics drives your life.

If they cannot get it for cheaper than they are paying now, they will not buy it, plain and simple.

It is not even a matter of getting it o the maritimes but, how much will it cost the province (or utility company) to lay pipes to every house? How much will it cost every homeowner to convert?

Christ, they cannot afford the cost of oil now and the infrastructure is all there. Even you herbie would not pay more for heating your house if you already have for less.

So, like it or not herbie...economics is the driver.

22 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

It is not even a matter of getting it o the maritimes but, how much will it cost the province (or utility company) to lay pipes to every house? How much will it cost every homeowner to convert?

Who shall PAY? who shall PAY? Can't be done! Ridiculous, absurd!

see what I mean?

Can't even grasp the thought they'd have to lay a pipe to your house to SELL you their product? Like they always have? Just the typical someone will have to PAY something somewhere so that's BBAAADDD...

and OMG they'd need to buy a gas furnace and junk their oil one... why would you pay thousands of dollars just  to save hundreds every month? Gee as dumb to you as paying a little more for an EV car just to pay 25c/L to drive it instead of $2/L.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:15 AM, ExFlyer said:

Governments have judged?? Or perhaps market has spoken??

Yes indeed. Monopolies used to be illegal, but now governments have judged that they are not.

If the vast supplies of natural gas were up to the free market, the entire economy would get a massive boost by lower prices for energy, namely natural gas.  Instead, governments allowed very few companies to acquire a virtual monopoly over this vast resource, to the detriment of all.

Your argument is self-defeating.

4 hours ago, herbie said:

Who shall PAY? who shall PAY? Can't be done! Ridiculous, absurd!

see what I mean?

Can't even grasp the thought they'd have to lay a pipe to your house to SELL you their product? Like they always have? Just the typical someone will have to PAY something somewhere so that's BBAAADDD...

and OMG they'd need to buy a gas furnace and junk their oil one... why would you pay thousands of dollars just  to save hundreds every month? Gee as dumb to you as paying a little more for an EV car just to pay 25c/L to drive it instead of $2/L.

No, i do  not see.

And the question is "Who Shall Pay?"

They gonna lay the pipe for free? Or will the cost on the LNG include that pipe??

You really do not have much of a clue do you herbie?  LOL  Nothing is free.

Oh and, I would never buy an EV to save money on gas.

16 hours ago, herbie said:

No need to respond further. Summed it all up pretty good.

herbie...if you don't have the money to pay for oil now, how are you going to pay for the LNG and change to the infrastructure?

And how do you know LNG will be cheaper than oil.

And, it all comes down to dollars and sense and sense is what you are lacking. LOL

It is always easy for you to spend someone elses money LOL

Edited by ExFlyer