Majority — including two-in-five past Liberal voters — say Trudeau should step down: Angus Ried

CdnFox

25 minutes ago, Gaétan said:

Canada's credibility in the world has deteriorated since Pearson and Pierre Elliott Trudeau because of the unfair positions of the prime ministers who succeeded them, we have become pariahs in the world and the positions of Poilievre in the middle east conflict makes this situation worse. No leader in the world listen what says an hypocrite like Justin Trudeau. People know who is in the wrong despite what hypocrites may say.

Harper had a very good rep with many countries. Did lots of trade deals and was widely regarded as the 'guy who knew how to do it right' during the recession.  Chretien wasn't hated either and mulroney was taken seriously.

ANd PP's position on the middle east is actually the same as most countries.

25 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Harper had a very good rep with many countries. Did lots of trade deals and was widely regarded as the 'guy who knew how to do it right' during the recession.  Chretien wasn't hated either and mulroney was taken seriously.

ANd PP's position on the middle east is actually the same as most countries.

I don't agree with you, Harper couldn't say a whole sentence without lying, Mulroney and Chrétien were a little better

1 hour ago, Gaétan said:

I don't agree with you, Harper couldn't say a whole sentence without lying, Mulroney and Chrétien were a little better

Harper was very easily one of the most honest prime ministers we've ever had. That's objectively true. Not because he was some moral god or anything, I think he just didn't care what others thought :)  

When he screwed up he tended to admit it and move on, and his intolerance for corruption was legendary.  This is the only prime minister who got caught in a scandal where he was forcing people to give BACK taxpayer's money :)  

Chretien was obviously brutally dishonest but we were talking about being respected globally and he tended to be relatively respected.

9 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Harper was very easily one of the most honest prime ministers we've ever had. That's objectively true. Not because he was some moral god or anything, I think he just didn't care what others thought :)  

When he screwed up he tended to admit it and move on, and his intolerance for corruption was legendary.  This is the only prime minister who got caught in a scandal where he was forcing people to give BACK taxpayer's money :)  

Chretien was obviously brutally dishonest but we were talking about being respected globally and he tended to be relatively respected.

You judge by appearances rather than by justice, John 7.24

https://archive.ph/uKvu7

Are the Liberals trapped with Justin Trudeau, even if he falls?

It’s not just that the Prime Minister might dig in. There is no reliable sign that anyone else in Liberal-land can cure what ails the party. Even if Mr. Trudeau were doomed to lose, he might lose less disastrously than anyone else.
Maybe that’s why there is a disconnect even among those Liberals who believe Mr. Trudeau’s time is pretty much up. They aren’t anxiously hoping for a leadership race. Some are willing to peer past the edge of Mr. Trudeau’s tenure, but not to contemplate a leap.

As the article shows, there just really isn't anyone and there is always the fear of the kim campbell effect.
Having said that if the libs fall much lower they could still face a disaster that would take more than 2 elections to recover from .

The question that arises at this stage of a government is whether changing the leader will lead to a rout rather an orderly retreat. JT is an excellent campaigner; it’s one of the things he does well. I wonder do any of his potential successors think, let him wear this and he can step down afterwards? Either way, I don’t think the Liberals will be out of the running for years on end unless Poilievre can move his party and supporters to the Canadian centre. He’s got some wild people in there who will cause him trouble east of Manitoba. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

1 minute ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The question that arises at this stage of a government is whether changing the leader will led to a rout rather an orderly retreat. JT is an excellent campaigner; it’s one of the things he does well. I wonder do any of his potential successors think, let him wear this and he can step down afterwards? 

I'm quite sure that's what most of them think. Even if you ARE a good campaigner, which honestly most of the potential ones aren't especially, it takes a lot of time and energy and skill to build your team and prep for the next election under the best circumstances. ALl justin's people will be gone.  And - in this case the person would ALSO have to actually run the country in the meantime.  That is brutally hard and what put Kim Campbell out of business.

I'm pretty sure every rival is thinking  "keep my powder dry till he tanks next election then be the savior to restore the party."

48 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I'm pretty sure every rival is thinking  "keep my powder dry till he tanks next election then be the savior to restore the party."

Can't do much with Talcum powder. All the gunpowder is stashed away in barrels under the House of Parliament.

Remember remember the 5th of November.