Trudeau calls on major grocers to create plan to stabilize food prices. (Or else he'll raise prices!)

CdnFox

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

The problem is that the tax is not 'revenue neutral'.  Which means cutting it will result in billions and billions of dollars in lost revenue for the gov't.    That's going to be a challenge to make up.

As a 'stacking tax' its impact on prices is grossly underappreciated by the general public. They don't realize how much tax there really is.

Yup, carbon taxes are added multiple times along the supply chain and have a multiplier effect on prices.  I use equipment that uses taxed energy to produce goods.  My workers demand higher wages to pay the taxes on the fuel they use to get to work and the transportation costs on the materials shipped to build their homes, deliver the food they eat and the furniture they buy.  Every item shipped to and from the factory gets the carbon tax.  How does my plant afford to compete with China and India and even the US?  Production is pricier, the cost of living gets higher, and the emissions rise all the same.  

• Like 1

In an oligopolistic economy the buyer pays the seller's price. Simply, there's no other choice. Canada's mobile and Internet rates are a fine, permanent example. Put there three ombudsh@ck or thirty-three, multiply their budget tenfold or hundred-fold, the prices won't budge.

Then, Canada had a tradition of cheap food. Even being an oligopoly it's not easy to change a tradition. If you move too early the others may not follow and you're screwed. If everybody moves together, without a cause it would look suspicions and the government (very reluctantly, in a free" market run by hands by their best buddies) would have to intervene.

And then, there's was a miraculous, once in a life chance: guess. The result: Canada isn't a cheep food place anymore. And the prices aren't going back. Because in an oligopoly, the buyer pays...

18 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

I expect that this “meeting with the grocers” and the public threats are just for show and nothing substantial will come of it.

Its a desperate move, to distract from his disastrous trip to India. 

Couple that, with growing displeasure from within his own party. Cost of living is skyrocketing, along with homelessness, and simply put--people who are well educated and have solid careers, that have no business struggling to put both food on table, or roof over head. He can't point to woke agendas, as these voices are now deafening and demanding answers.

The sounding strong and resolute, reeks of desperation of one knowing his political career is on thin ice.

10 hours ago, Nexii said:

Yea this is nonsense that the NDP started. The free market determines prices. Sounds like more bureaucracy which will ultimately just drive up prices on everything even more. Imagine, a department of Food Affordability. 

You bet (in a dream though). An oligopoly of best buddies; or a government bureaucracy of best buddies. Make your free choice.

14 hours ago, Nexii said:

Yea this is nonsense that the NDP started. The free market determines prices. Sounds like more bureaucracy which will ultimately just drive up prices on everything even more. Imagine, a department of Food Affordability. 

Exactly.  And generally if there is a problem its a result of too much gov't interference, not that there's not enough.

Food grown in canada shouldn't be vastly more expensive than food shipped from half way around the globe, but it is.  That suggests a problem with interference in the markets, not a problem with the market.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CdnFox said:

That suggests a problem with interference in the markets

Of course it doesn't suggest any problems with a bunch of buddies controlling food distribution. Just call it "free market" and keep your fingers crossed that they suddenly decide to drop prices. Like it can happen, right? And don't ever think of "interfering"!

This is a truly sad choice this country will have for the foreseeable perspective, that is, till a full blown systemic crisis of public administration and a de facto third world state. Star-eyed lefties managing by hand for Joe's own good; or don't you interfere with my monopolist buddies "free" marketeers. Just try to figure out which is the more promising one. Seriously, try!

On 9/16/2023 at 3:01 PM, Zeitgeist said:

My workers demand higher wages to pay the taxes on the fuel they use to get to work and the transportation costs on the materials shipped to build their homes, deliver the food they eat and the furniture they buy.

The cost of plywood alone, has skyrocketed. I have seen so many memes about plywood and lumber.

Transporting a standard 10 x 4 pallet used to cost me 95 - 120$ flat with most transport companies.

Importing from the US, used to set me back 600$ max.

Right now post covid, I can easily put up to 600$ into the exact same orders in transport alone, if my staff isn't cautious.

From the US. I have seen costs skyrocket upwards of 1, 200$ or more for the exact same products.

Am supposed to approach my client, and tell them how much more they have to pay from a 2021 order.

Of course, the US price has nothing to do with Trudeau.

But why would you worsen the issue, before delivering on the green agenda?

Its like offering someone Gelato after punching them in the stomach.

"Yes, its delicious, but WTF is wrong with you?!" 

6 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Right now post covid, I can easily put up to 600$ into the exact same orders in transport alone, if my staff isn't cautious.

Just out of curiosity, why do we need to buy plywood from the States? Even funnier, where did it get there from could it be from here, just in case? Why are we pumping raw oil out and have to buy gas at whatever it's sold for?

For centuries now, the business of the elites has been in digging and shipping the country out. Then setting up and running import and distribution monopolies. A huge in size and immensely rich in natural resources country has never developed its own, sufficient and sustainable economy. That economy model reminds of something.. Russia maybe?

4 hours ago, myata said:

Of course it doesn't suggest any problems with a bunch of buddies controlling food distribution. Just call it "free market" and keep your fingers crossed that they suddenly decide to drop prices. Like it can happen, right? And don't ever think of "interfering"!

This is a truly sad choice this country will have for the foreseeable perspective, that is, till a full blown systemic crisis of public administration and a de facto third world state. Star-eyed lefties managing by hand for Joe's own good; or don't you interfere with my monopolist buddies "free" marketeers. Just try to figure out which is the more promising one. Seriously, try!

Sorry kid - you're just too stupid for this conversation. I'll send you a note when we're back to talking about lego.

14 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

The cost of plywood alone, has skyrocketed. I have seen so many memes about plywood and lumber.

Transporting a standard 10 x 4 pallet used to cost me 95 - 120$ flat with most transport companies.

Importing from the US, used to set me back 600$ max.

From the US. I have seen costs skyrocket upwards of 1, 200$ or more for the exact same products.

Am supposed to approach my client, and tell them how much more they have to pay from a 2021 order.

Of course, the US price has nothing to do with Trudeau.

But why would you worsen the issue, before delivering on the green agenda?

Its like offering someone Gelato after punching them in the stomach.

"Yes, its delicious, but WTF is wrong with you?!" 

Trudeau is thinking about life during and after politics. He wants to get invited to all the good parties and be the 'hero who punched climate change in the face' by carbon tax! and shutting down oil production!!! Simple things that simple rich !diots and people of power will praise him for because they're supposed to without thinking about it.

And he'll want those sweet sweet talking tours.  That alone is worth millions to him. People will pay big bucks to go listen

He's not thinking about how to fairly or realistically fight climate change. 

2 hours ago, myata said:

Just out of curiosity, why do we need to buy plywood from the States?

We don't. I was eluding to pallets, and the surcharges I was being charged for both their lumber and size, along with fuel.

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

He's not thinking about how to fairly or realistically fight climate change. 

Today's woke crowd doesn't care about pragmatic approaches to problems. That's work. Yuck.

They literally take a page from Mao Zedong, in their culture revolution, but in the spirit that aligns with their movement, mess it up.

Social shaming, and trying to use brutality and force to drive home their movement.

Why use force, when you can simply indoctrinate and do so at the youngest demographic?

Tear it down, so you could build back up.

But again. Building is work.

So their movement stays stuck at the first part and I must admit. They're damn good at it.

16 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Today's woke crowd doesn't care about pragmatic approaches to problems. That's work. Yuck.

LOL - well true enough. But - as they go hungry and nothing is being built they seem to be waking up to the fact you can't eat woke.

They literally take a page from Mao Zedong, in their culture revolution, but in the spirit that aligns with their movement, mess it up.

Social shaming, and trying to use brutality and force to drive home their movement.

Why use force, when you can simply indoctrinate and do so at the youngest demographic?

Tear it down, so you could build back up.

But again. Building is work.

So their movement stays stuck at the first part and I must admit. They're damn good at it.

You're not wrong.  But the fact is ideological bullying is a rich persons game.  When food starts to get unaffordable and there's no where to live, things change a bit. Hopefully we're seeing a little of that realization now.

One drives ten minutes out of Edmonton and all you see in any direction are crops or cattle. Why is a large box of cereal $9.? Why is asparagus $7.99 for a handful? Bread? Anything dairy? Don’t get me started on fresh meat.

We’re drowning in middle men and “marketing boards”.

Why am I seeing TV commercials in Alberta that 1/3rd of children are going to school hungry? Obviously government.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:15 PM, myata said:

In an oligopolistic economy the buyer pays the seller's price. Simply, there's no other choice. Canada's mobile and Internet rates are a fine, permanent example. Put there three ombudsh@ck or thirty-three, multiply their budget tenfold or hundred-fold, the prices won't budge.

Then, Canada had a tradition of cheap food. Even being an oligopoly it's not easy to change a tradition. If you move too early the others may not follow and you're screwed. If everybody moves together, without a cause it would look suspicions and the government (very reluctantly, in a free" market run by hands by their best buddies) would have to intervene.

And then, there's was a miraculous, once in a life chance: guess. The result: Canada isn't a cheep food place anymore. And the prices aren't going back. Because in an oligopoly, the buyer pays...

You are off your meds again I see LOL

Clearly you have no idea what the cost of wholesale products are let alone the ancillary costs of doing business.

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Clearly you have no idea what the cost

Clearly you haven't seen a what a real market is like for a long time (or like, ever?). Where each trader sets their price based on a million of different sometimes local and independent reasons and the price is determined by the willingness of the buyers to pay, not by a meeting in a boardroom or political head's inspirational chat. Good luck sailing to the bright future.

1 hour ago, myata said:

Clearly you haven't seen a what a real market is like for a long time (or like, ever?). Where each trader sets their price based on a million of different sometimes local and independent reasons and the price is determined by the willingness of the buyers to pay, not by a meeting in a boardroom or political head's inspirational chat. Good luck sailing to the bright future.

Is it the screw cap that's confusing you? Is that why you're not on your meds?  You just have to line the arrows up dude, we've talked about this...

13 hours ago, myata said:

You really have no grasp of real life, real business and most if all reality in general.

It costs  to produce, it costs to process, it costs to warehouse, it costs to distribute, it costs to stock shelves, it costs to sell. All that adds up to what you pay.

So, the price is determined by what it costs to get it into your cart.

No one ever said anything about boardrooms or politicians, as a matter of fact, we are scoffing a the PM and his meetings with the grocery CEO's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

It costs  to produce, it costs to process, it costs to warehouse, it costs to distribute, it costs to stock shelves, it costs to sell. All that adds up to what you pay.

And the profit margin, that the boardroom sets? And the CEO's etc pay? And the buddy-buddy oligopoly weekly golf chat, nothing specific though? Very clear who hasn't a clue of the real life here.

Edited by myata

6 minutes ago, myata said:

And the profit margin, that the boardroom sets? And the CEO's etc pay? And the buddy-buddy oligopoly weekly golf chat, nothing specific though? Very clear who hasn't any clue of the real life here.

Who cares??

What profit is made is for you, the shareholder,and whether or not you like it, you are a shareholder.

Your jealousy of successful people is just a failing on your part. They worked hard and were offered those positions and their salary. Just because you remain an minimum hourly worker is because of your your lack of incentive and ambition. So, you sit in your closet and whine about your  lowly position in life.

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Who cares??

You couldn't care between a free market and an oligopoly controlled one? OK. You should know the consequences too.

4 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Your jealousy of successful people is just a failing on your part.

Another reader of minds. I couldn't give a f-k about successes of mass producers of suck-bread and such prepackaged ersatz substitutes of normal food because I have choice and freedom. Fortunately there are still places in this world where I can go to a local market and find top quality local fresh food at a ridiculous (compared to those successes) price. Have fun in your bright future. It's coming.

7 minutes ago, myata said:

You couldn't care between a free market and an oligopoly controlled one? OK. You should know the consequences too.

Another reader of minds. I couldn't give a f-k about successes of mass producers of suck-bread and such prepackaged ersatz substitutes of normal food because I have choice and freedom. Fortunately there are still places in this world where I can go to a local market and find top quality local fresh food at a ridiculous (compared to those successes) price. Have fun in your bright future. It's coming.

Do you have any idea why this happens? Smaller stores are closing. So, bigger ones that them over and provide jobs that would have been lost. Seems to me that is good not only for the economy but especially for the workers what would have lost their jobs had those stores closed. I see this benefiting not only the workers but for the communities the stores are in.

I don't read minds, i read your posts forever whining about how much others make. Boo hooo, poor me, CEO's make too much money boo hoo.

You don't have "choice" but you do have the freedom of going to another grocery store to get your food. LOL

There you go, glad you are willing to pay ridiculous prices for local in season food but fully knowing you have to resort to imported food the remaining 10 months of the year. That is not the future, it was the past and is now.