'Getting squeezed on both sides': Liberals a distant third among younger voters

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/getting-squeezed-on-both-sides-liberals-a-distant-third-among-younger-voters-1.6539949

The data shows the Liberals in a distant third place for 18-29 year olds with 15.97 per cent, compared to the Conservatives and the NDP with 39.21 per cent and 30.92 per cent respectively.

It’s a dip for the Liberals, who were at 26.8 per cent at the beginning of August for the same age group. And it’s a boost for the Conservatives, who are up from 29.3 per cent at the beginning of the month

Wow.  I mean - wow.  First off - the cpc has been polling ahead of the ndp in youth.  That's amazing.

And the libs are just getting murdered.

I really want Justin to be there to run against PP - but how much of this can he take before he has to step down?

Edited by CdnFox
  • Like 1

I think the reasons are more economic, perhaps. They want to spend and spend which is fine for older people who don't have to worry as much about what that means for the future

This got me interested in voter turnout by age - the common 'young people don't vote' stereotype. It's not quite true, turnout is about 55% for the youngest voters and 75% for older voters. So the youth vote definitely does matter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Who's in the wings to replace him?  He's probably the most despised man in Canada at this moment, with Freeland as the second most despised  . . . 

At this point an overripe avocado would poll better, i'm thinking they'd rather go with virtually anyone else :)

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Why, now?

Several reasons, she's been the one responsible for a series of horrible budgets that didn't address peoples problems, she's his right hand girl so she wears a lot of his mistakes, her track record is actually not good and as much as this SHOULDN'T be a factor she looks like she's on cocaine and didn't get any sleep last night every time she's on tv.

15 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Trudeau seems to be done done done....

Still 2 years until we vote.  Isn’t it a bit premature to be making those kinds of statements?

15 hours ago, Nexii said:

It's not quite true, turnout is about 55% for the youngest voters and 75% for older voters. So the youth vote definitely does matter.

It would matter a lot more if they voted at the same level.  

• Like 1

Past Prime Ministers quickly go from being reviled at the end of their final term in office to being respected elder statesmen a few lears later. It happened with John Diefenbaker, Pierre Trudeau and Brian Mulroney. I would expect our current Prime Minister will benifit from the passage of time.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Who's in the wings to replace him?  He's probably the most despised man in Canada at this moment, with Freeland as the second most despised  . . . 

Peter Zeihan calls Freeland "one of the smartest people on the planet"

It's an interesting take on how we got taken down by NAFTA 2...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Past Prime Ministers quickly go from being reviled at the end of their final term in office to being respected elder statesmen a few lears later. It happened with John Diefenbaker, Pierre Trudeau and Brian Mulroney. I would expect our current Prime Minister will benifit from the passage of time.

It didn't really happen with trudeau.  He lost an election but not by that much and was back in power.  And he wasn't polling great when he decided to step down but he wasn't hated either except in the west where he still is to this day.

So people in the east liked him and still like him, people in the west hated him and still hate him.  Time didn't do him any favors.

Mulroney isn't seen as any great statesman today either - he's liked by some and not by others but that's it.  Chretien isn't well liked and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought Paul martin was anything but a dolt 

People everywhere are saying they've had enough of trudeau and he's a bad choice. Lets not forget he didn't even win the popular vote.  THe kids even hate him - so they'll grow up thinking he was a bad move.

And we're going to have a generation of paying for his mistakes. That doesn't help much.

People tend to speak of ex prime ministers like they speak of the dead - you don't want to bad mouth them too much :)  But i don't think history is going to look on him well.  At least pierre had achievements to fall back on like national medical and of course the Charter of rights.   Trudeau will be remembered as bitterly divisive and toxic and he really doesn't leave anything positive behind. And much of what he did do will likely be dismantled.

12 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't know - I'm not saying I agree, but he has some interesting points.  You could crack wise or instead listen and tell us why he's wrong..

Would it help? You're not really the listening type, you tend to obfuscate the moment you're pinned into a logical corner.

In any case freeland's track record is pretty dismal. Whether she's the smartest person on earth or not (Spoiler she isn't) and whether she's been hamstrung doing justin's bidding whether she likes to or not - she's got a HORRIBLE track record.

And if you think i'm listening to an hour and a quarter of someone try to defend the undefendable just because you posted it you must be insane.  She's very clearly a bit of an !diot. If you have some points you feel are worth considering put them out there and lets hear them.  But 'smartest person' on earth?  Please - she's not even the smartest person in the average grade 5 class.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

People tend to speak of ex-PM's like they speak of the dead - you don't want to bad mouth them too much.  But I don't think history is going to look on him well.  At least Pierre had achievements to fall back on like national medical and of course the Charter of Rights.   Trudeau will be remembered as bitterly divisive and toxic and he really doesn't leave anything positive behind. And much of what he did do will likely be dismantled.

Former PM's are generally disliked during their tenure . . . .after retiring, that dislike generally fades to a 'meh'

The present PM has an aura of palpable hatred . . . . many people are deep down angry with JT and what he's done to a once fine country.

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

she's got a HORRIBLE track record.

I get the impression if Prime Minister Trudeau or Minister Freeland came up with a cure for cancer or world peace, you would still find a reason to complain about it. ?

47 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Trudeau will be remembered as bitterly divisive and toxic and he really doesn't leave anything positive behind.

You are forgetting creating an all party - all levels of government team to save NAFTA and tens of thousands of lives during the Covid 19 plaque.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

1. Would it help? You're not really the listening type, you tend to obfuscate the moment you're pinned into a logical corner.

2. she's got a HORRIBLE track record.

3. And if you think i'm listening to an hour and a quarter of someone try to defend the undefendable just because you posted it you must be insane. 

4. She's very clearly a bit of an !diot.  

1. I would say that I listen.  I even change my mind sometimes.  Have you done that based on your experiences on here ?
2. Give us some specifics then.  Not saying you're wrong but based on the thread topic she'll be in the spotlight more soon.
3. No - I linked it to the two minutes when he talks about her.  Just hit play and you'll see.  As I suspected you didn't listen at all.
4. Well if she's an ldiot, given her accomplishments, then Canada is the land of ldiots because she has done quite well without a pedigree.

Just now, Queenmandy85 said:

You are forgetting creating an all party - all levels of government team to save NAFTA and tens of thousands of lives during the Covid 19 plaque.

It goes against the narrative that evil people are elites who own Canada and somehow also want to destroy it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Former PM's are generally disliked during their tenure . . . .after retiring, that dislike generally fades to a 'meh'

The present PM has an aura of palpable hatred . . . . many people are deep down angry with JT and what he's done to a once fine country.

True, and at this rate i think either people are felling a strong sense of vidication that they were right to dislike him and that he 'just wasn't ready',  Or people feel bitterly betrayed that they defended and voted for him and everything he's promised has failed to happen or blown up in their face. And instead of making their lives better, they will now never be able to afford a home.

Either way the feelings run deep.  People are already voting him worst prime minister in history and not just by a little. Even harper didn't get that when he was in power.

I hope he doesn't quit.  I hope he sticks it out and runs one more time. THe pressure on him though must be enormous.

8 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Lots of haters, if I can use the term, of Trudeau Snr as well.   But, now he’s pretty much venerated as one of the country’s best PMs.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_prime_ministers_of_Canada

1 minute ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I get the impression if Prime Minister Trudeau or Minister Freeland came up with a cure for cancer or world peace, you would still find a reason to complain about it. 

well that's largely because you're not very bright  :

I frequently give credit to politicians i don't like - i've spoken about some of the positive things chretien did, and that i think he gave us one of the greatest gifts to preserve our democracy, and i really didn't like that guy at all.

But justin hasn't gotten anything right, except legalizing dope (which i spoke positively about at the time and since) although i did critisize when he screwed up the implementation and suddenly the dope growers were losing money - only justin could lose money on dope :)

Few prime ministers have NO positives.  But other than dope, justin has nothing and has done much to destroy what we had in this country.  Our financial standing in the world, our children's hope for their future, our unity such as it was, our strong bonds with each other in adversity- name it he's messed with it.

NAFTA was a serious loss for us and he cost us thosuands of lives by investing in a chinese firm who then stiffed us on the vaccines - which meant he was very late ordering from the suppliers we eventually got from and we got ours months after we should have.  The people who died during those months could have been saved, but his desire to invest in china killed them

I get why you'd like to rewrite history - but it's all there for people to look up. No conspiracy theories  - the facts are well recorded.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cansino-deal-canada-nrc-fifth-estate-1.6208241

8 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Lots of haters, if I can use the term, of Trudeau Snr as well.   But, now he’s pretty much venerated as one of the country’s best PMs.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_prime_ministers_of_Canada

Depends where you are.  he's still hated in the west.

There's an old joke:

Pierre Trudeau decides to walk to work one day. As he's walking the sun is rising and he looks at the sun and says "O sun, am I a good leader?"

The sun replies "you are a fantastic leader and your people love you. You care for them and you are a benevolent and wonderful prime minister"

Happy with the answer he continues to work and puts in a long day and his best efforts. On his way home he sees the sun again as it sets and once again he asks “ o sun, am I a good leader?"

The sun replies “you are a disgusting self centered individual who has betrayed his people and has neglected their needs horribly. You should be deeply ashamed of your narcissism and failures."

Shocked, he exclaims “but just this morning you said how great I am! Now you're telling me I'm a terrible person!”

“ah” says the sun " This morning I was in the East. Now I am in the West".

• Like 2

I had many issues with Pierre Trudeau's policies. I don't believe he understood economics. I really did not like the idea of patriating the BNA act and bringing in the Charter. 

I will give him credit for his guts to refuse to run from the barrage of bottles hurled at him on the St. Jean Baptiste parade. I approved of the invocation of the War Measures Act. I liked his response when he was challenged with the fact than if he had not been PM, he would have been one of the peope arrested under the act. "Yah, but I wouldn't have (whined) about it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I had many issues with Pierre Trudeau's policies. I don't believe he understood economics. I really did not like the idea of patriating the BNA act and bringing in the Charter. 

I will give him credit for his guts to refuse to run from the barrage of bottles hurled at him on the St. Jean Baptiste parade. I approved of the invocation of the War Measures Act. I liked his response when he was challenged with the fact than if he had not been PM, he would have been one of the peope arrested under the act. "Yah, but I wouldn't have (whined) about it."

ALMOST every leader, even if you don't like him, has some redeeming quality or act.  I think the WMA was justified at the time. I too admire hm not fleeing the hail of missiles (rather than running from gravel  :) ) .   I think he was 75 percent on track with the charter, and i know why he didn't get property rights in there and can't blame him for not dying on that hill.

But overall he was horrible, trashed our economy for a decade, divided people and was disrespectful of the country and HORRIBLE to westerners whom he exploited terribly. 

But he had a few redeeming qualities.  We can't say that about his boy