Stagnating politico-social system

myata

4 hours ago, cougar said:

You still stuck on the MP page? 

Just curious. Do you know it?

At the going rate of inflation"" wink-wink my calculator tells me it (the automatic annual rise) will be: $4,272. How about a Caribbean vacation just on the rise, plus some peanuts? And how has it been working for you, bud? Enjoying your $30K something median income with generously indexed crum.. apologies, credits?

Pigs controlling access to their trough, what could go wrong?

Edited by myata

10 hours ago, Contrarian said:

Of course it has, but not at that magnitude, there are many flaws, I think I agree myself with the quote:  “democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.”

That, above isn't just a word. If it was only a word, Putin has it and Xi too Kim could have it if fancied so why not. And as for the real, genuine stuff, it's not enough to just say it, even keep repeating mindlessly. You'd have to prove it, no nothing less would do.

Edited by myata

11 hours ago, Contrarian said:

My friend Myata, I understand you don't like the system.

Daily you say it, but who is the alternative:

Them? ?

anarchist-black-bloc-disrupt-anti-austerity-and-anti-cuts-protest-CY58XB.thumb.jpg.7c0d74918dd1e941c2b3e9f0b49e1257.jpg

There are more choices  - ISIS, the Talibans and all types of democratic groups from Africa.

22 hours ago, Contrarian said:

The definition of insanity is to try the same thing all over again except different results. 

Not in this case.  Look at it as launching a spaceship.  You had the Challenger incident; does that mean you do not go back into space?

My feeling is, if we want to fix our system, we should first be more or less self sufficient in our country - no dependence on other nations for necessities, equipment and other products, no dependence on immigration and population growth.

Once we can achieve that, we may be able to have a better distribution of wealth through a better government.

2 hours ago, cougar said:

do not make $30K/year or less

The statistic shows the trend in median total income in Canada from 2000 to 2020. In 2020, median income in Canada was 40,630 Canadian dollars.

Median means that exactly one half of the population makes that or less.

Norway Annual Household Income per Capita reached 51,753.964 USD. Norwegian MP salary, about 100,000 USD. See the difference? And no, it's not going to get any better. Why would it?

2 hours ago, Contrarian said:

My feeling: is not possible.  

Of course it's possible. Not 100%, but close. We won't have pineapples ever but we could do it. Even Albania was able to survive as an isolationist nation.

The amount of government control over the economy would be akin to totalitarian communist Nation including wealth distribution.

Self-isolation has nothing to do with transparent, responsible and accountable administration of public matters. One is not conditioned or even logically related to the other. In a real democracy, important to citizens matters get discussed and implemented. In a real democracy governments are controlled by independent representatives of the citizens and institutions. Canada has neither. Ergo, Canada is not a full democracy, QED.

What isn't clear in this picture:

Year         Median income       MP salary

2000        20,000                    ~70,000 (no, "expense allowance" is not your second salary!)

2021         40,000                  ~180,000

Norway MP salary: ~135,000 CAD equivalent (one of the highest cost of living countries)

UK MP salary: ~136,000 CAD equivalent.

What is wrong in this picture? How can this phenomenon be explained, in a real, working democracy? Can it?

Edited by myata