RACIST Sheila Jackson Lee wants to overturn the First Amendment

This is rich, coming from this RACIST bee itch NAZI.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sheila-jackson-lee-introduces-bill-criminalizing-hate-speech

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee introduces bill criminalizing some forms of 'hate speech'

Texas Democrat Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee introduced a bill to combat "White supremacy" by criminalizing certain forms of hate speech.

After the ill-fated attempt by the Biden administration to monitor Americans' speech online, Jackson Lee introduced the Leading Against White Supremacy Act of 2023 to assign criminal punishment for certain forms of hate speech.

The bill's language is broad and could result in people facing criminal charges for sharing hateful content, including on social media.

Two points to make:

1. The First Amendment was not created for popular speech.

2. Everything that spews from her Nazi pie hole IS HATE SPEECH.

The only white supremacists today are the Democrats.

Just reading the link, so I haven't got this from any reputable news source, but it looks like it doesn't stand a chance.

Nor should it.  As Noam Chomsky once said,

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

Hell, I support your right to post the rest of the garbage in the OP.

4 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Just reading the link, so I haven't got this from any reputable news source, but it looks like it doesn't stand a chance.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

Canada has “hate speech” laws and we’re  very free.   Is it perfect?  No.  

Is it better than fee speech absolutism where people are free to spew hate, encouraging violence against people like Jews, gay people, etc?   Absolutely yes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Is it better than fee speech absolutism where people are free to spew hate, encouraging violence against people like Jews, gay people, etc?   Absolutely yes. 

Encouraging violence is not allowed by the First Amendment.  I think.  An American can correct me here if I'm wrong.

I would put encouraging and inciting in the same vein.

As for spewing hatred, I support the right of anyone to spew hatred if they want.

I might despise it, but who the hell am I?

Edit>  That's not to say there won't be consequences.  I also support the right of organisations to censor speech, and fire people who don't meet their standards, etc.

I might despise that too, but it's their right.

Edited by bcsapper

22 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

As I support your right to spread your own garbage - just so long as it doesn't put others in physical danger, of course. :)

The odd thing is that the publisher would be fined only if it was used in execution of a crime.  So the threshold for invoking charges is lower in this proposed bill than in Canada.

The bill would impose criminal penalties for anyone who "published material advancing white supremacy, white supremacist ideology, antagonism based on ‘replacement theory,’ or hate speech that vilifies or is otherwise directed against any non-White person or group, and such published material," if it was "read, heard, or viewed by a person who engaged in the planning, development, preparation, or perpetration of a white supremacy inspired hate crime."

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The odd thing is that the publisher would be fined only if it was used in execution of a crime.  So the threshold for invoking charges is lower in this proposed bill than in Canada.

Sure, but that would be entirely out of their hands.  They either would or would not be committing a crime based on the actions of completely unrelated individuals or groups.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, TreeBeard said:

Is it better than fee speech absolutism where people are free to spew hate, encouraging violence against people like Jews, 

You know that you're talking specifically about the Dems now, right?  And their good buddy Louis Farrakhan Jr.? 

13 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

You know that you're talking specifically about the Dems now, right?  And their good buddy Louis Farrakhan Jr.? 

We have Dems in Canada?  Maybe stick to the  crackpot conspiracies…. Talking seriously about the nuances of things like free speech in Canada seems to be above your grade level.  

53 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

We have Dems in Canada?  Maybe stick to the  crackpot conspiracies…. Talking seriously about the nuances of things like free speech in Canada seems to be above your grade level.  

Ooooh, tweebeawd got huwted.

The LPOC are our resident hatemongers. No PM in our history has been more divisive, dishonest and hateful than la turd. 

19 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

You brought Canada up when I was talking about the Dems. Look up^^. It's not that far...

You talked about the Dems and someone named Louis in response to my post about Canada. 

Can you answer the question?  What do the Dems and Louis have to do with free speech in Canada?

I think this just happed….  “…like playing chess with a pidgeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, sh!t on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway”.

Edited by TreeBeard

10 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You talked about the Dems and someone named Louis in response to my post about Canada. 

You know that's OT though, right?

Can you answer the question?  What do the Dems and Louis have to do with free speech in Canada?

The topic, in general, is about free speech in the US. 

It was ok for you to briefly mention Canada in this thread, but that doesn't mean that we go full derail at that moment. 

This thread is about actual hate speech from members of the US gov't, it's not about hate speech against Jews in Canada. If you wanna talk exclusively about that, then start a new thread.

I think this just happed….  “…like playing chess with a pidgeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, sh!t on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway”.

I'm pretty sure that you'd know if you just shit on another chess board, but we can pretend it's imaginary. 

• Confused 1