Euthanism & Right to Die

August1991

On 10/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, TreeBeard said:

Your question does not follow from your statements.  Can you try and be more clear about what you’re  asking?

As a Canadian, I understood our fight with the Soviet Union.

We won.

====

But US taxpayers are now killing people in Eastern Europe, as they once did in Iraq.

• 4 weeks later...

What is life? What is freedom?

=====

In 1914, thinking back to the European experts of 1900 - the white-male smart European Christian guys, the so-called civilised elite - they killed themselves and involved everyone else in a disaster for 30 years. 

By 1945, ordinary people - woman mostly, but older men with knowledge and younger boys with hope - were still alive.

Edited by August1991

I have wandered around various battle sites.

War cemeteries.

=====

The Americans bring their dead to a central place: France, Italy Washington DC

The British, Commonwealth bury their dead in place. Names for each.

The French have a monument in town, with names.

The Germans have a few name places. Always black, in the ground.

The Russians have only monuments.

Edited by August1991

On 10/10/2022 at 10:24 PM, blackbird said:

There is no right to take life with the exception of the police in certain circumstances, capital punishment for murder, and in defence of one's country.

''''' 

I would suggest everyone needs to study the gospels and believe the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He will set one free from wrong thinking and put one on the right path.  That is the only way.

Disagree. I oppose police with bullets. 

Gospel? Koran? Word of God. Christ or Mohammed. IMHO, no reason to believe the New Testament or Old Testament.

===

If an individual chooses to die, what bad is there?

Battlefields of the Prussian-Austrian 1756-63 war are small, easier to understand.

Before 1815, the battlefields of Napoleon were large. Huge.

I was confused with Austerlitz. (I realised later that Napoleon wanted a re-match.)

Fortunately, the Russians in 1912 placed markers for Borodino - as we English-Canadians did on the Plains of Abraham. And so people today can understand their relative significance.

====

You can easily walk among the stones/place where Bourlamaque's left flank stood and Wolfe died..

In Russia, it'll require a car to drive from where Napoleon's right flank opposed Galitsyn's left flank.

Edited by August1991

On 10/9/2022 at 10:16 PM, August1991 said:

I favour the right of an individual to die in peace.

I see the difference between a State choosing death, and an individual choosing to die.

I even give the right to a mother to kill her child up to birth.

===

We tell soldiers/police to kill others.  

Complicated concept. You permit a mother to murder a baby but not the state to carry out the death penalty for a murderer. Looks like you are pro-crime for sure.

Nobody tells police to kill others. Police are trained to protect the public and defend their lives, often with deadly force. I guess you have no problem with the animal who commits murder, maybe even a cop killer.

Soldiers killing people is a practice that helped create the greatest free republic on the face of the earth:The United States of America. Soldiers killing people also resulted in black African SLAVES being given their freedom and the practice of slavery being abolished. It's okay for a black to continue to pick cotton, so that a pregnant woman can murder a nine month old baby? Is that your testimony?

On 12/14/2022 at 2:07 AM, August1991 said:

I have wandered around various battle sites.

War cemeteries.

=====

The Americans bring their dead to a central place: France, Italy Washington DC

The British, Commonwealth bury their dead in place. Names for each.

The French have a monument in town, with names.

The Germans have a few name places. Always black, in the ground.

The Russians have only monuments.

The Germans were unique in that the SIX MILLION DEAD JEWS were mostly ashes, thanks to the ovens at the Concentration camps.

On 12/14/2022 at 3:30 AM, August1991 said:

Disagree. I oppose police with bullets. 

Gospel? Koran? Word of God. Christ or Mohammed. IMHO, no reason to believe the New Testament or Old Testament.

===

If an individual chooses to die, what bad is there?

If someone breaks into your house, rapes your daughter in front of you and threatens to kill your wife in front of you, are you going to call the police and tell them no bullets?

(I didn't think so.)

As far as individual choosing to die, there are many schools of thought on that one. Some in the mental health field believe suicidal thoughts are a mental illness and that one contemplating suicide should be protected from that disease, just as a cancer patient should be given chemotherapy to save him/her from a painful death.

Life insurance companies do not pay claims for suicide. (In the definition of "insurance" the key word is "unforeseen circumstances." Suicide is always planned.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:59 AM, reason10 said:

Complicated concept. You permit a mother to murder a baby but not the state to carry out the death penalty for a murderer. Looks like you are pro-crime for sure.

Nobody tells police to kill others. Police are trained to protect the public and defend their lives, often with deadly force. I guess you have no problem with the animal who commits murder, maybe even a cop killer.

Soldiers killing people is a practice that helped create the greatest free republic on the face of the earth:The United States of America. Soldiers killing people also resulted in black African SLAVES being given their freedom and the practice of slavery being abolished. It's okay for a black to continue to pick cotton, so that a pregnant woman can murder a nine month old baby? Is that your testimony?

It's not a complicated distinction /sarcsam:

a) Police are allowed to kill people but mothers are not.

b) US soldiers can kill people but mothers cannot.

c) Mothers kill their babies

====

My point: what makes the world a better place: abortion or capital punishment. 

Edited by August1991

On 12/17/2022 at 10:04 AM, reason10 said:

If someone breaks into your house, rapes your daughter in front of you and threatens to kill your wife in front of you, are you going to call the police and tell them no bullets?

(I didn't think so.)

As a Canadian, let me respond: This generally doesn't happen.

In Canada, we have a different kind of society.

=====

I know that many believe otherwise but IMHO, your Second Amendment is stupid.

On 12/14/2022 at 12:30 AM, August1991 said:

There are multiple reason why a person believes in God and believes in the Bible but it is not easy to state it in a few sentences.  It requires some reading and consideration to understand.

"The answer to why we believe the Bible involves many facts that together provide an intelligent basis for believing the Bible to be a supernatural statement of truth."

3. Why Believe the Bible? | Bible.org

Why should I believe the Bible? | GotQuestions.org

Why I Believe the Bible (thegospelcoalition.org)

5 Reasons To Believe The Bible Is Inspired By God - Faith in the News

10 reasons to believe in the Bible — Salt&Light (saltandlight.sg)

Why do we believe the Bible is actually the word of God? - Denison Forum

That should keep you busy for a while.

Edited by blackbird

13 hours ago, August1991 said:

It's not a complicated distinction /sarcsam:

a) Police are allowed to kill people but mothers are not.

b) US soldiers can kill people but mothers cannot.

c) Mothers kill their babies

====

My point: what makes the world a better place: abortion or capital punishment. 

Lies.

Police are not allowed (or even ordered to ) kill people. Police are not soldiers. Police have the right to defend their lives and the lives of the innocent public with deadly force.  And EVERY shooting is followed by an intensive investigation.

Mothers are allowed to defend their bodies with deadly force if a baby threatens their lives. That is codified in ALL fifty states, even after that Nazi Roe bill was thankfully overturned.

NOTHING makes the world a better or worse place. It is amazingly arrogant to suggest that ANY human activity on a planet that is mostly WATER somehow amounts to a fart in the wind.

Personally I have problems with the death penalty, mostly because of the wait, the inefficiency and the cost. The state of Florida could have imprisoned Ted Bundy for the rest of his life for around $800K. It cost FIVE MILLION to fry that animal.

I prefer the death penalty to be pre-emptive. A scumbag who tries to rob, rape or murder someone is killed when that victim decides to defend himself/herself with deadly force.

https://www.investors.com/politics/columnists/how-many-lives-are-saved-by-guns-and-why-dont-gun-controllers-care/

As to defensives uses of guns, the CDC report said, "Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was 'used' by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies. ... Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.

Criminologist and researcher Gary Kleck, using his own commissioned phone surveys and number extrapolation, estimates that Americans use guns for defensive purposes 1.2 million times each year — and that 1 in 6 Americans who have used guns defensively believe someone would have died but for their ability to resort to their defensive use of firearms.

12 hours ago, August1991 said:

As a Canadian, let me respond: This generally doesn't happen.

In Canada, we have a different kind of society.

=====

I know that many believe otherwise but IMHO, your Second Amendment is stupid.

Canada has violent crime, same as anywhere else.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-safety-canada/news/2018/03/criminal-gun-and-gang-violence-in-canada.html

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/85-005-x/2022001/article/00002-eng.htm

If you can live out in the wilderness and be protected from the animals of society by the sheer distance they would have to travel to get to you, more power to you. In America, sociologists refer to this as white flight. Your large cities are just as dangerous as American large cities. You just don't have as much of them. In that way, your provinces are very lucky.

As far as America's Second Amendment, nobody here with an education gives a rat's ass what you people think since you have no vote in our affairs. But if someone is breaking into your house, you're probably glad if the cop you call is wearing a gun.

13 hours ago, August1991 said:

True. But Canada generally has less gun violence. We take an Australian view of gun control.

=====

In America, anyone can have a gun - you know, like Norway.

The country with the LEAST amount of gun violence is Switzerland.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/switzerland-stunningly-high-rate-gun-ownership-heres-doesnt-mass-shootings/

Here's the deal: I DON'T lecture a country on its inner workings if I'm not paying its taxes and voting in its elections. Canada can outlaw ALL firearms for all I care. It's not going to affect the safety of my family and my country.

I REALLY don't care what happens in a place on the other side of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 9:15 AM, reason10 said:

The country with the LEAST amount of gun violence is Switzerland.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/switzerland-stunningly-high-rate-gun-ownership-heres-doesnt-mass-shootings/

Here's the deal: I DON'T lecture a country on its inner workings if I'm not paying its taxes and voting in its elections. Canada can outlaw ALL firearms for all I care. It's not going to affect the safety of my family and my country.

I REALLY don't care what happens in a place on the other side of the world.

There is almost zero relationship between gun ownership in Switzerland and the US.

https://bigthink.com/the-present/switzerland-high-gun-ownership/

12 hours ago, Aristides said:

There is almost zero relationship between gun ownership in Switzerland and the US.

https://bigthink.com/the-present/switzerland-high-gun-ownership/

Nobody said there was any kind of relationship between two countries that respect their citizens' right to bear arms. And only a total imbecile somehow equates gun ownership with mass shootings.

1 hour ago, reason10 said:

Nobody said there was any kind of relationship between two countries that respect their citizens' right to bear arms. And only a total imbecile somehow equates gun ownership with mass shootings.

You brought up Switzerland as an example.  Only an imbecile would not equate gun ownership with mass shootings.  A mass shooting cannot happen without someone owning a gun. There is no right to bear arms in Switzerland. 

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aristides said:

You brought up Switzerland as an example.  Only an imbecile would not equate gun ownership with mass shootings.  A mass shooting cannot happen without someone owning a gun. There is no right to bear arms in Switzerland. 

Actually, mass shootings can happen with someone STEALING guns. Most crimes in blue states are perpetrated by animals who STEAL guns, since those states are NAZI states who violate the Constitution.

As far as there being no right to bear arms in Switzerland, well you're wrong about that. 

https://www.cga.ct.gov/PS99/rpt\olr\htm/99-R-0845.htm

In 1993, Swiss voters accepted a constitutional amendment that authorized parliament to pass a "gun-abuse" law. The law was adopted in 1997 and went in effect in 1998. It preserves the right of citizens to acquire, own, and carry guns, including Swiss military-issue arms. But it bars certain categories of arms such as fully automatic guns, dangerous weapons such as stun guns, and accessories such as silencers and night vision scopes.

You lose again, snowflake.

1 hour ago, reason10 said:

Actually, mass shootings can happen with someone STEALING guns. Most crimes in blue states are perpetrated by animals who STEAL guns, since those states are NAZI states who violate the Constitution.

As far as there being no right to bear arms in Switzerland, well you're wrong about that. 

https://www.cga.ct.gov/PS99/rpt\olr\htm/99-R-0845.htm

How many stolen guns have been used in US mass shootings? Almost all have been bought legally. If the US has by far the most guns per capita and no requirements for training and few for storage, the odds of a firearm being stolen are much greater. Only eleven states have laws requiring locking devices and twenty seven states with laws designed for keeping them out of the hands of children. That's it. Sweden and the US couldn't be more different.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/criminal-defense/gun-storage-laws-by-state/

You forgot this part. Also, ammunition for military issued weapons is kept at armouries, not taken home with the weapon.

The law requires a permit to acquire a gun from a dealer and bars sales to minors, repeat criminal offenders, and people determined by the courts to be violent or dangerous. A permit is not needed to acquire a weapon normally used in conjunction with governmentally recognized hunting or shooting organizations. Private sales do not require a permit, but the seller cannot transfer weapons to a person barred from owning a weapon. The seller must check the buyer's identification card to determine that he is at least 18 years old. A record must be made of both commercial and private transactions and retained by both parties for 10 years.

The right to carry a gun for other than hunting or military training purposes requires proof of legitimate need, which can include self protection and the protection of property. The applicant must also demonstrate that he is proficient in the use of the weapon and understands the gun law. The permit is valid for up to five years. Weapons, munitions, and accessories must be stored safely in a place that is inaccessible to unauthorized people. The loss of a weapon must be immediately reported to the police. Weapons can be transported freely, so long as they are kept separate from munitions.

The law also governs the manufacture, importation, and exportation of weapons, and imposes record-keeping requirements on gun dealers. Violators are subject to fines and imprisonment. In the case of intentional violations of laws governing transfers, importation, and exportation the minimum penalties are five years in prison and a fine of 100,000 Swiss francs (approximately $69,000).

Edited by Aristides