The Talon d'achille of the Democratic Party

On 7/31/2021 at 8:26 PM, August1991 said:

Libertarians.

Increasingly, the Democratic Party is pushing young white kids (college educated or merely high-school, guys more than girls) to agree with the libertarian perspective of society.

======

IMHO, this is wrong.

A civilized society is not Libertarian.

Young Democrats love libertarians like Che Guevera and Raz Simone, and they're staunch defenders of libertarian groups like MS-13. Great times.

Fringe anarchists on the left or the right are not a novel or new thing.

Conflating one with the other though is probably a mistake. Anarcho leftists are not Libertarians. There is a thing called anarcho-communism on the left. Most Libertarians (which are generally gifted to the right) aren't actual anarchists but there's a fringe that think it would be a good idea to go there with certain conditions.

Stefan Molyneux for example calls himself an anarcho-capitalist. By no stretch of the definition could you put him in the same camp as Guevara or Simone. Molyneux is more anarchy with personal responsibility. His utopia is as likely as the anarcho-left's though that supposedly magically appears after you tear it all down.

However is the anarcho-left becoming a thing? Maybe. Is it spreading? You could sell me on that one.

Edited by Infidel Dog

On 7/31/2021 at 11:26 PM, August1991 said:

Libertarians.

Increasingly, the Democratic Party is pushing young white kids (college educated or merely high-school, guys more than girls) to agree with the libertarian perspective of society.

======

IMHO, this is wrong.

A civilized society is not Libertarian.

It’s because the Democrats have become so authoritarian.  A civilized society is not authoritarian.  So people are choosing freedom.

On 8/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, Infidel Dog said:

Do you have an example of what you're talking about?

Because that's news to me.

No. No evidence whatsoever.

And Infidel Dog, I reckon that you would just use whatever I offer  as more evidence of Republican/Nixon's racism - "Southern Strategy".

=====

Infidel Dog, you remind me of astrologists, Marxists and climate scientists: whatever happens, you have an explanation for why your prediction was wrong.

I prefer Einstein's prediction of the Mercury transit. That's true science.

I remind you of Marxists and climate scientists? 

I don't know what I did to deserve that kind of insult.

Predicted something apparently. Not sure what. Or are you trying to tell me it's all "relative?" ;)

Oh and the Southern Strategy was a leftist fantasy concocted by an infiltrator pretending to be a Republican who went on to write exclusively for Progressive leftist media. The "strategy" itself never actually happened. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 12:53 AM, Infidel Dog said:

I remind you of Marxists and climate scientists? 

I don't know what I did to deserve that kind of insult.

Predicted something ap, people parently. Not sure what. Or are you trying to tell me it's all "relative?" ;)

Oh and the Southern Strategy was a leftist fantasy concocted by an infiltrator pretending to be a Republican who went on to write exclusively for Progressive leftist media. The "strategy" itself never actually happened. 

IME, on many American Democratic websites, posters typically hate Trump and oppose him because he is a populist. These posters view fellow Americans who support Trump as ignorant.

The same posters favour a woman's right to choose.

Well here's me smiling and scratching my head then. You seem to be saying you have me pegged as a Trump hater.

I think I'm starting get something like a point from you though. It clicked when you said "right to choose."

See I generally think of Libertarianism as a thing that gets stuck with the right, but now that you mention it I think there is a kind of libertarian that connects with the left somehow.. In fact, I think it's called left or leftist libertarianism. I think I tried to understand it once but found it contradictory and irrational so I wrote it of as fringe and forgot about it. 

As to right to choose I could see that contradicting with what I hear most libertarians call their "non-aggression principle." It's the 'is it a baby or is it a clump of cells' thing. If it's an independent being by it's potential I could see the kind of libertarian I'm more familiar with refusing to aggress against it. "Non-aggression principle."

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 5:03 AM, Infidel Dog said:

August1991, you've heard of Ron Paul - the Libertarian who used to run for leadership of the Republican party - right?

Yes, I've heard of Ron Paul. But I'm Canadian so I don't really know about him.

Isn't there a Rand Paul too?

And why do you Americans have Jnrs, Snrs? And what is it with the middle initials? 

====

BTW, I think the US Supreme Court will someday interpret the 2nd Amendment's reference to a "well-ordered militia". 

I'm sure the framers did not intend the kids I saw when driving through Baltimore to have tactical nuclear weapons.

I'm also Canadian but I do know who Ron Paul is. He's a Right wing Libertarian who ran for leadership of the Republican party on multiple occasions. He's since retired. 

His son Rand is more conservative. He's a Senator from Kentucky. 

I'm curious though. What do you mean by "Libertarian?" And why do you think the Democrats are pushing white college age or educated males towards whatever you believe that is?

Edited by Infidel Dog

On 9/2/2021 at 1:49 AM, Infidel Dog said:

I'm curious though. What do you mean by "Libertarian?" And why do you think the Democrats are pushing white college age or educated males towards whatever you believe that is?

I think it's pretty well-known that a lot of universities in the States are closer to 'alt-left' than 'alt-leaning'. 

Woke dogma is law in places like Berkeley.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 3:49 AM, Infidel Dog said:

I simply note that young students (male in particular, born after 2000) are very suspicious.

Even people born before 2000 (after 1990) tend to be free-spirited.

=====

The US Democrats and the Canadian NDP/Trudeau progressive federal Liberals are missing this. The CAQ seems to have understood this - the PQ not.

The US MSM views it as populism.

======

Let me sorta explain in a US context: If Biden gets re-elected, it will be because he legalised marijuana. But he overturns the 2nd Amendment and makes AK-47s illegal.

Edited by August1991

I think the closest thing to Libertarian in a Canadian federal party might be Maxime Bernier's PPC. There is a Canadian Libertarian party - or at least there used to be. I've been to their website. Libertarians have run locally in some regions. The YouTuber Lauren Southern ran as a Libertarian in Langley BC, one time.

American populism is a bigger tent than just libertarianism. Lot's of conservatives. Libertarians and Conservatives are more often seen as part of the same whole on the right but I've seem them at odds with each other more than once. They can intersect on ideology and thought leaders, here and there. Both will fanboy Thomas Sowell, for example. I think Ronal Reagan advisor, Milton Friedman called himself a small L large R republican.

I think both Trump and Biden promised to ease federal laws on marijuana, didn't they?

Technically AK 47s are illegal in America. There can be exceptions. They're built to allow automatic fire. There is some law that was passed in the 80s that made AKs (kalashnikov's) illegal but if you owned one before that it could be grandfathered in for a pass on the law. I think you have to jump through a lot of hoops and pay a heavy tax though. That's the way I heard it. I think you might be thinking of AR 15s or the made up term "assault rifle."

As to Democrat youth becoming more suspicious and free spirited I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have an example? 

• 3 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 11:29 AM, Infidel Dog said:

I think the closest thing to Libertarian in a Canadian federal party might be Maxime Bernier's PPC....

.... Both will fanboy Thomas Sowell, for example. I think Ronal Reagan advisor, Milton Friedman called himself a small L large R republican.

I think both Trump and Biden promised to ease federal laws on marijuana, didn't they?

Technically AK 47s are illegal in America.

Justin Trudeau has made possession/production of marijuana legal; but has made hand-guns illegal.

====

As I say, kids have a clear view of Heinlein: should everyone have access to a nuclear bomb?

On 8/19/2021 at 1:52 AM, Infidel Dog said:

See I generally think of Libertarianism as a thing that gets stuck with the right, but now that you mention it I think there is a kind of libertarian that connects with the left somehow.. In fact, I think it's called left or leftist libertarianism. I think I tried to understand it once but found it contradictory and irrational so I wrote it of as fringe and forgot about it.

You gave up to easy - it's really not that complicated. Try imagining they're wearing your shoes instead of the usual way around.  Why on Earth do you imagine they like having someone on their backs anymore than you?  Despite what you might have been told to believe we're as human as you.  I only say baaaaa now when I'm mocking someone who treats me like I'm some kind a four legged animal who enjoys being herded around.

I know I should probably be more careful about that...I almost got myself into serious trouble once when I jokingly started mooing while loading a bunch of guests onto the boat.  I tried arguing in my defence that we were running late and I was really saying mooove mooove but no one was buying it.  I still think it was kinda funny.

19 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Left Libertarianism, you mean? Go ahead tell me about. I clicked off when I heard the no private property talk. If you think I should know the details though, feel free to explain it. I'll listen.

Don't know much about them at all actually. I just got the sense you were implying lefties don't get liberty in general. No one chooses to be a slave or live subserviently but there seems to be an unspoken assumption amongst conservatives that lefties are somehow naturally predisposed towards being that way and are determined to impose that view on everyone else.