The Response To Covid-19

betsy

I'm having a hard time processing this latest news.   It's questionable enough how come extending Christmas break for schools is "out of the question," but today the news report says that Quebec allows gatherings of up to 250 people in RED zones!

Quebec is among the top hardest hit province!

I don't know what's happening.   Either our elected officials are running around like chickens with their heads cut off- clueless, really and just giving us so much talking point full of bs......

..............or, the conspiracy theories are true!  That covid-19 is being used more for politics and isn't as serious as being portrayed by WHO, UN, liberal governments and media!

Don't know what news you are listening to,  but here's the restrictions for red zones in Quebec ... https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/level-4-maximum-alert-red/

No inter-household visits, unless it's someone who is single, a caregiver or labour.

No organized sports, no large gatherings except for church and funerals, with no more than 25 attendees of which a register must be kept.

Maybe make sure your info is accurate before jumping to conspiracy.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, betsy said:

I'm having a hard time processing this latest news.   It's questionable enough how come extending Christmas break for schools is "out of the question," but today the news report says that Quebec allows gatherings of up to 250 people in RED zones!

Quebec is among the top hardest hit province!

I don't know what's happening.   Either our elected officials are running around like chickens with their heads cut off- clueless, really and just giving us so much talking point full of bs......

..............or, the conspiracy theories are true!  That covid-19 is being used more for politics and isn't as serious as being portrayed by WHO, UN, liberal governments and media!

What is happening is that our elected officials are doing their best to make sure that Canadians get the latest updates on what where Canada is at in all jurisdictions with the virus, the latest on pandemic guidelines and how they are planning on getting more covid testing sites available.   Have they been perfect - no but I do believe they are working in our best interests. 

Conspiracy theories?  Please, Betsy.  Are you a flat-earther by chance?  Just wondering. 

I do think if cases continue to rise and hit 2000+ per day by December in Ontario, it makes good sense from both an economic and public health perspective to close schools, with perhaps a reduced online learning component (as educators would have their own children at home) two to three weeks prior to Christmas.  It would create the necessary circuit break to slash case numbers, allow families to enjoy modest Christmas functions, and support a "green zone" reopening in January that would boost the economy in a more sustainable and significant way.

Perhaps malls and retail could remain open in the lead up to Christmas with careful health measures.  Even tacking on an extra week to the holidays in January might help.  I worry that worker burnout, rampant viral spread, public fear, and an overwhelmed healthcare system, if left unchecked, could lead to a much longer and more severe lockdown later on, maybe sooner than later.

Edited by Zeitgeist

12 hours ago, mowich said:

What is happening is that our elected officials are doing their best to make sure that Canadians get the latest updates on what where Canada is at in all jurisdictions with the virus, the latest on pandemic guidelines and how they are planning on getting more covid testing sites available.   Have they been perfect - no but I do believe they are working in our best interests. 

Conspiracy theories?  Please, Betsy.  Are you a flat-earther by chance?  Just wondering. 

No I don't believe in conspiracy theories - but the way things are being done by Legault (as an example) would really feed into it.  

Are we surprised there are people who do believe in conspiracy theories - and are we surprised that people (whether they believe in cons. theories or not), don't take covid-19 seriously?

How do you explain the justification of 250 people in a gathering being allowed in a red zone?

Edited by betsy

21 hours ago, dialamah said:

Don't know what news you are listening to,  but here's the restrictions for red zones in Quebec ... https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/level-4-maximum-alert-red/

No inter-household visits, unless it's someone who is single, a caregiver or labour.

No organized sports, no large gatherings except for church and funerals, with no more than 25 attendees of which a register must be kept.

Maybe make sure your info is accurate before jumping to conspiracy.  

I saw it streaming on CBC.

Ahhh....here's an explanation:

Large gatherings in red zones allowed in ‘very rare’ and ‘exceptional’ cases: Quebec ministry

Quebec’s health ministry says large gatherings of up to 250 people are only permitted in “very rare” and “exceptional” cases in designated novel coronavirus red zones as confusion swirls over what is allowed and what is not.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7470445/quebec-red-zone-gatherings/

....such as?

Edited by betsy

'Wrong decision at the wrong time'

Don Sheppard, director of the McGill University Interdisciplinary Initiative in Infection and Immunity, said he was extremely disappointed with the government's decision, saying it creates needless risk.

He added the fact that large gatherings were allowed only for very rare exceptions was little comfort.

"Using the term 'special circumstances' to justify these events is very dangerous," Sheppard said. "One thing we've learned about the epidemic: everybody feels they're special."

"It's a slippery slope and I don't think the government should be encouraging it," he added.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-government-opens-the-door-to-gatherings-of-up-to-250-people-in-covid-red-zones-1.5806774

On 11/19/2020 at 4:32 AM, betsy said:

I'm having a hard time processing this latest news...

I don't know what's happening...

Maybe a review of the constitution will help. Each province has the authority to fight the virus as it thinks best which results in something called "variation" from province to province. One strategy might be worse than the others but in no way does it indicate a collective running around like chickens with their heads cut off by all our elected officials.

If it's still confusing, maybe a review of the constitution will help. Each province has the authority to fight the virus as it thinks best which results in something called "variation" from province to province. One strategy might be worse than the others but in no way does it indicate a collective running around like chickens with their heads cut off by all our elected officials...

Keep reading until it sinks in.

Edited by Minnetonka

On 11/22/2020 at 1:15 AM, Minnetonka said:

Maybe a review of the constitution will help. Each province has the authority to fight the virus as it thinks best which results in something called "variation" from province to province. One strategy might be worse than the others but in no way does it indicate a collective running around like chickens with their heads cut off by all our elected officials.

If it's still confusing, maybe a review of the constitution will help. Each province has the authority to fight the virus as it thinks best which results in something called "variation" from province to province. One strategy might be worse than the others but in no way does it indicate a collective running around like chickens with their heads cut off by all our elected officials...

Keep reading until it sinks in.

Lol.  They're running around like chickens with their heads cut off right now!    They're all waiting for the vaccine.

You better read the OP again and again until it sinks in.

Edited by betsy