Good COVID-19 related stories.

Happier days are coming and some are already here. 

The response to this virus will change so many things that were once normal and while the new state of normal is surely months if not years down the road the opportunities that will spring up along it are already sprouting.

We've always been concerned for the well-being of our schizophrenic son and his ability to succeed and care for himself as we get older and especially so these days. He got the biggest pay-cheque of his life today and his company just signed a million dollar contract to create educational software for autistic kids.  Given the closures of schools and the likelihood that education systems in the future will probably incorporate smaller more occasional gatherings than frequent ones educational software of all kinds are poised to take off as well - his future's so bright he'll need to wear shades.  He says having schizophrenia has vaccinated him against the pandemic of craziness sweeping the world and social isolation comes naturally enough to so....and yes he can work from the safety of his home.  The team he's part of is almost entirely internet based.

Ya, hearing that sure made my day today!  Who gives a damn about a bad CT-scan!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Happy as a clam in mud right now, this is the most fun I've had in years, I'll miss it when its over.

We've been told to expect restrictions to remain in place for 13 weeks.

Divorce lawyers are licking their lips (which they're probably not meant to do).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

Divorce lawyers are licking their lips (which they're probably not meant to do).

Our house is designed to mitigate that, not just with plenty of outdoor space, but we are Upstairs Downstairs, upstairs is mostly hers, downstairs is mostly mine

So long as you don't have kids, there's not a lot of tension, if we were stuck in here with kids that would be a nightmare

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Our house is designed to mitigate that, not just with plenty of outdoor space, but we are Upstairs Downstairs, upstairs is mostly hers, downstairs is mostly mine

So long as you don't have kids, there's not a lot of tension, if we were stuck in here with kids that would be a nightmare

So long as she doesn't find out that all you do all day is post on obscure internet forums.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Iceni warrior said:

So long as she doesn't find out that all you do all day is post on obscure internet forums.

Oh she knows, she's bringing me snacks while I post, Mexican fritata brunch.  We don't have money problems,  kids & money problems keep the divorce lawyers in business

3 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

That's more or less the arrangement of my Egyptian sister and her husband and has been for years.  They're also happy as clams in mud, with each other and their marriage anyway.   :)

Just now, dialamah said:

That's more or less the arrangement of my Egyptian sister and her husband and has been for years.  They're also happy as clams in mud, with each other and their marriage anyway.   :)

I loved her at first sight, I love her more than life itself, so I just check myself and make sure I appreciate her at all times

In this situation here, I am fostering the morale,  keeping her calm and happy,  going out of my way to do it, so we will not get stressed out and have a spat

There's nowhere to go right now, so it's like a submarine, you have to make the effort to get along, in tight quarters

Good news ... had a vitual surprise birthday party for my sister yesterday, around 20 people showed up, mostly family, and it lasted over 4 hours.  We've never held a party where so many family members showed up. And it was really fun.   

Edited by dialamah
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

I loved her at first sight, I love her more than life itself, so I just check myself and make sure I appreciate her at all times

You sound like my BIL about my sister.  He does everything in his power to give her what she wants and needs, always expresses his appreciation for her.  They still have spats, but their mutual love is pretty apparent.

Just now, dialamah said:

You sound like my BIL about my sister.  He does everything in his power to give her what she wants and needs, always expresses his appreciation for her.  They still have spats, but their mutual love is pretty apparent.

She honestly spoils me rotten, all she does is go out of her way to do nice things for me, to make sure I am taken care of, so she's easy to love

4 hours ago, Iceni warrior said:

OTOH...with so many swaths of humanity forced by circumstance to navigate their own particular emotional bottlenecks the collective squeeze we all feel could result in a deeply soul-searched population that's changed for the better.

Kumbaya rising.

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The best thing we have going for us is that we're all in the same place at the same time so to speak anyway, I do remember reading somewhere that if every human being stood shoulder to shoulder we'd fit into an area the size of Los Angeles.

We could Stand on Zanzibar.

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

OTOH...with so many swaths of humanity forced by circumstance to navigate their own particular emotional bottlenecks the collective squeeze we all feel could result in a deeply soul-searched population that's changed for the better.

Kumbaya rising.

You're right, the shrinks will do well out of this too.

15 hours ago, dialamah said:

Good news ... had a vitual surprise birthday party for my sister yesterday, around 20 people showed up, mostly family, and it lasted over 4 hours.  We've never held a party where so many family members showed up. And it was really fun.   

Distant socializing will probably spur technological innovation to make it even easier and more fun.  Like hanging with my grand-kids on some chat app they have for making silly faces and weird hats. They never get tired of asking me stick my dentures out like an Alien.  Maybe a Pull-My-Finger app for bad Papa's will be next.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:05 AM, Iceni warrior said:

It's going to be a long time before people start going on frivolous weekend flights abroad again.

Many airlines will fail.

Gaia approves.

Nonsense.  People will develop herd immunity, vaccines will be available in late fall early winter.  Life will go on, vacations will definitely go on, just delayed.

5 hours ago, Shady said:

Nonsense.  People will develop herd immunity, vaccines will be available in late fall early winter.  Life will go on, vacations will definitely go on, just delayed.

So in 8 months...not by May.

Damn, I was really looking forward to throwing my panties at you too.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, Shady said:

Things could open up by May, but vaccines won't be ready by then.

I can see a few things beginning to stir in May but I don't expect much until vaccines are available or testing becomes as easy as taking a blood-sugar reading.  Everything I've read about vaccine development says it'll take 12 - 18 months.  Fortunately developing tests takes less time which is why I think developing a test for anti-bodies and immunity should be a key goal so the immune can keep the workforce going.

The trench warfare approach of throwing everyone into the battle simply won't be on for the vast majority of us I think. 

Edited by eyeball

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I can see a few things beginning to stir in May but I don't expect much until vaccines are available or testing becomes as easy as taking a blood-sugar reading.  Everything I've read about vaccine development says it'll take 12 - 18 months.  Fortunately developing tests takes less time which is why I think developing a test for anti-bodies and immunity should be a key goal so the immune can keep the workforce going.

The trench warfare approach of throwing everyone into the battle simply won't be on for the vast majority of us I think. 

I expect most businesses open by June, and July, August and September to be almost back to normal.  High risk people will be urged to stay home.  The social distancing and cleaning measures will continue even after a vaccine is available.  Johnson & Johnson announced human vaccine testing by September.  

32 minutes ago, Shady said:

I expect most businesses open by June, and July, August and September to be almost back to normal.  High risk people will be urged to stay home.  The social distancing and cleaning measures will continue even after a vaccine is available.  Johnson & Johnson announced human vaccine testing by September.  

Sounds good to me but I still think we should still have a plan for at least an 18 month economic hiatus.  I completely understand where the urge for putting this behind us quickly is coming from because I share it too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Sounds good to me but I still think we should still have a plan for at least an 18 month economic hiatus.  I completely understand where the urge for putting this behind us quickly is coming from because I share it too.

I agree.