Toxic Masculinity ad from Gillette.

Boges

1 minute ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

And talking about the bbqs, feminists seem to have a problem with them.

Why do nomal men turn sexist when they get in front of a barbecue? - The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/19/barbecue-normal-men-sexist

Why do barbecues bring out your inner sexists

https://metro.co.uk/2017/06/06/why-do-barbecues-bring-out-our-inner-sexists-6688319/

And Feminists would be idiots. 

Two boys were playing rough and tumble on the grass near the bbq, they get separated.

They are so toxic, I can't believe it. I apologize on behalf of all men.

One kid was beating the other up. That's the way it's portrayed. You cool with kids chasing another kid down? 

Just now, Boges said:

I think it's safe to assume the men that have to hide behind the bravado of masculinity are likely the least masculine men of them all.

That's an incredibly sexist comment and you would be ashamed of yourself if you stated the same about women.

In what context?

I just looked at the video again. The BBQ scene had a kid on top of another kid punching him. That's followed by the Boys with Be Boys Comment. 

That's the context. 

Bullying is never OK. And if you think it's part of "Boys will be Boys" you're a bad person. 

30 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Ads for Women:  Be thin! Be thick! Love your body! Get bigger boobs! Embrace your grey hair! Dye your hair! Wear makeup! Look natural! Hide your age! These pants are slimming.....

Women:  OK :blink:

Gillette:  Men should be less shitty.

Men:  Don't tell us what to do!

There is, as I have already pointed out, a considerable difference between telling people to improve their appearance, and telling them to be 'less shitty'.

To start with, it suggests men are shitty. Some might resent the implication.

That's an incredibly sexist comment and you would be ashamed of yourself if you stated the same about women.

I thought you were a man? Can't you take it? Is this Gillette ad stopping you from doing any number of masculine activities? Sports, BBQ, Weight Lifting, Video Games etc etc etc. 

Edited by Boges

Just now, Boges said:

I just looked at the video again. The BBQ scene had a kid on top of another kid punching him. That's followed by the Boys with Be Boys Comment. 

That's the context. 

Bullying is never OK. And if you think it's part of "Boys will be Boys" you're a bad person. 

Punching a kid in a fight is not bullying. You assume it is, but it isn't necessarily.

Just now, Boges said:

It's portrayed that way. 

Sure. And I remember at school when teachers were separating kids who were fighting each other -not even punching, just rough and tumble play- because it was bullying. They portrayed it that way in their head. Just like you do, because you're a self-loathing cuck.

And here you just suicided yourself completely, I'm just laughing at the evident double standard you're expressing.

The argument is all about opinion. The ad simply states, "Don't be an Asshole". If you're take is that most men aren't assholes so don't tell me not to be, that's fine. But then the ad should mean nothing to you. The marketing didn't work for you. But since you're talking about it so much, it kind of did. 

If you're defending some of the characteristics exhibited in the ad, then the problem lies with you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

There is, as I have already pointed out, a considerable difference between telling people to improve their appearance, and telling them to be 'less shitty'.

To start with, it suggests men are shitty. Some might resent the implication.

Well, at least men are getting called out on their behaviour.  

Women get called out for their weight, their face, their body, you name it.  And yes, women have resented the implication for many, many years.

And when women complain about it, they're told they're "getting hysterical."

It's interesting to see when the shoe is on the other foot.   :lol:

1 minute ago, Boges said:

The argument is all about opinion. The ad simply states, "Don't be an Asshole". If you're take is that most men aren't assholes so don't tell me not to be, that's fine. But then the ad should mean nothing to you. The marketing didn't work for you. But since you're talking about it so much, it kind of did. 

If you're defending some of the characteristics exhibited in the ad, then the problem lies with you. 

No it's not 'Don't be assholes', it's 'Men, don't be assholes'.

That's the catch you quite don't seem to get.

1 minute ago, Goddess said:

Women get called out for their weight, their face, their body, you name it.  And yes, women have resented the implication for many, many years.

I don't see anyone getting hysterical here.

Women have been called out much more for their looks - in the past. But that was in the past. Teenage boys are busily shaving their chests, and working out at the gym because they feel pressure to have those male-model bodies. They spend nearly as much time agonizing over their hair and complexion and what they wear as girls do.

No it's not 'Don't be assholes', it's 'Men, don't be assholes'.

That's the catch you quite don't seem to get.

Yes well Gillette, in this instance, is marketing to Men. 

Here's an equal opportunity ad about abuse, since you think it's all about attacking men. 

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

Yes well Gillette, in this instance, is marketing to Men. 

Here's an equal opportunity ad about abuse, since you think it's all about attacking men.

The ad you just showed here is a perfect example of an effective message, pressing on the abuse rather than accusing a group.

8 minutes ago, Goddess said:

One problem is that some women are simply attracted to assholes. While some nice guys are on the sideline wondering wtf is wrong with them.

The ad you just showed here is a perfect example of an effective message, pressing on the abuse rather than accusing a group.

Gillette is marketing to topical mens issues, that do exist. 

The fact that a large corporation that markets to women don't call out the things women do is a valid complaint. But it doesn't make this ad wrong. 

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

One problem is that some women are simply attracted to assholes. While some nice guys are on the sideline wondering wtf is wrong with them.

Yes and if you're a "nice guy" you probably shouldn't want to be with a woman that's attracted to an "asshole". 

Women can be assholes too. 

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

I don't see anyone getting hysterical here.

Women have been called out much more for their looks - in the past. But that was in the past. Teenage boys are busily shaving their chests, and working out at the gym because they feel pressure to have those male-model bodies. They spend nearly as much time agonizing over their hair and complexion and what they wear as girls do.

I agree that men also get the wrong messages from advertising, along with the pressure to look a certain way physically.  I don't think it's as pervasive as it is with women.

I think men have been given a warped view of what it means to be a man - Boys will be boys, Only sissies cry, etc.....

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/mental-masculine-ads-distort-mens-perceptions-030313#1

https://www.healthline.com/health/mens-health/traditional-masculinity