Mr Martin Goes To Edmonton!

kimmy

Globe'n'Mail article

Prime Minister Paul Martin will host a closed-door meeting next week with about 35 big donors to the Liberal Party at an unpublicized fundraiser in Edmonton, Liberal officials said yesterday.

The meeting is billed as an "appreciation event" involving Liberal donors of $5,000, which is the maximum contribution under the new electoral law.

I'm not criticizing this, of course. All the parties do it, except the NDP, for whom finding donors who could shell out $5000 for dinner would amount to a McDonough family reunion.

I do think it's nice that the PM gets out to Alberta once in a while, which probably only happened a handful of times during the whole 11 years Da Little Guy was in charge.

Mr. Martin has hosted other $5,000 fundraisers in Calgary and Oakville, Ont., and the party is extremely coy about these private events and will not disclose the location of Monday's meeting in Edmonton. The fundraiser is not listed on Mr. Martin's official schedule for the day. Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan, who represents an Edmonton riding in the Commons, will also be present.

"It will be held in a private residence," said Steven MacKinnon, the Liberal Party's national director.

I don't mean to give away the secret location, but if Tim Murphy is reading, I'd appreciate it if he could e-mail me with a list of Landslide Annie's food allergies.

Between April and June of this year, the Liberal Party's fundraising efforts were battered by the allegations of kickbacks heard at the Gomery inquiry into Ottawa's troubled sponsorship program. Their total of $1.43-million lagged far behind the Conservatives, which chalked up more than three times as much, $4.98-million. And the Liberals barely outpaced the New Democratic Party, which recorded $1.13-million in donations for the quarter.

Are traditional Liberal donors disgruntled with the sponsorship mess enough to keep their money in their pockets?

Are traditional Liberal donors worried about being tarred by the same brush?

Or have the changed donation rules and scrutiny of donations actually reduced their traditional sources of money?

Mr. Martin will also meet the board of the Canada West Foundation for 1½ hours in Edmonton, where he is expected to get an earful on "Western discontent."
aw, I dunno. I think it's great that PMPM is at least willing to pay lip service to the issue, but honestly, what's the point. When he first became PM, Martin said he'd consider his tenure a failure if he couldn't make inroads on the issue of "western alienation". And there was talk of "Paulberta" as Martin-mania swept the prairies.

And what's the result been so far? A continuation, if not amplification, of the single-minded focus on Quebec and Quebec sovereigntists in Ottawa. A continuation of combativeness toward the region and its representatives. Even opportunities to extend a token olive branch-- senate appointments, for instance-- have been ignored. With Chretien, you could honestly believe that the guy was just too ignorant to recognize the problem. With Martin, he's said he recognizes the issue, and says he wants to address it... but won't.

-kimmy

I remember when people were forecasting Martin was going to win 250 seats. Still waiting for that one!

I used to live back East and it is easy there to get the impression that TO is the centre of the universe. :rolleyes:

I think it is all about seat numbers in the House of Commons. Quebec's 75 seats and Ontario's, is it 106 seats now, add up to about 180 seats compared to Alberta's 28 seats. Nothing more than that.

Quebeckers have always struck me as the most astute voters in Canada. They follow politics very closely, and want to make sure they are well represented with whichever party forms the government.

It would be a lot healthier for our society if our voting patterns weren't so polarized, and also it is not good to have a party forming a majority government with only 35-40% of the vote.

That's pretty sad to think any Canadian would feel that way about our national government.

How is the West being screwed? Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC probably are probably the most affluent provinces in the country. I honestly don't know what you're on about.

Just because the rest of Canada isn't buying into the reactionary policies of Stephan Harper does not mean the West is getting screwed.

If there are some legitimate beefs yes they should be addressed. But this crap about triple E senate is nonsense and a complete waste of time. It is never ever going to happen. The West needs to join into confederation with the rest of Canada and focus on some realistic issues.

That's pretty sad to think any Canadian would feel that way about our national government.

How is the West being screwed? Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC probably are probably the most affluent provinces in the country. I honestly don't know what you're on about.

Enough of the sanctimonious harping and time for a history lesson.

The line "screw the west we'll win the rest" is an infamous quote from the 1980 Canadian Federal Election. Former Liberal Senator Keith Davey was caught using the line. (Can't remember exaclty how he was "caught".) Regardless, any person with a true interest in Canadian politics should at least have a passing familiarity with the quote.

Mirror your bush league trolling really is quite annoying.

Just because the rest of Canada isn't buying into the reactionary policies of Stephan Harper does not mean the West is getting screwed.

If there are some legitimate beefs yes they should be addressed. But this crap about triple E senate is nonsense and a complete waste of time. It is never ever going to happen. The West needs to join into confederation with the rest of Canada and focus on some realistic issues.

I would love to see the proof of Saskatchewan being affluent!!

Ever travelled on their roads??? Not the sign of an affluent province! I think Sask is one of the poorer provinces in Canada.

Now in BC with the Campbell Liberals, they seem to be taking an upturn! They had to trim down about 300,000 gov't and/or union jobs, but they'll get there! More province....less Ottawa, the way to fix the west!!

Saskatchewan has now become a "have" province: a contributor to Equalization payments. Hardly one of the poorer provinces.

Any idea where they spent that money? Wasn't on roads!

Maybe the NDP has been paying down the debt of the Devine Tories.

That expression "Devine Tories" always cracks me up! :)

What were the Devine Tories - some of the worst criminal politicians Canada has every had, I believe.

If you have any complaints tell Greg. Otherwise shup up!

Oh, I get it now. You mean like Trudeau giving people who were pelting his railway car the Salmon Arm salute because he had his young children with him and was concerned for their safety. 

What a whiner you are.  :P

Wow, thanks for that Mirror.

It was good having you around, but you have gone too far. This will definitely get you barred. (I hope.)

Enough of the sanctimonious harping and time for a history lesson.

The line "screw the west we'll win the rest" is an infamous quote from the 1980 Canadian Federal Election. Former Liberal Senator Keith Davey was caught using the line. (Can't remember exaclty how he was "caught".) Regardless, any person with a true interest in Canadian politics should at least have a passing familiarity with the quote.

Mirror your bush league trolling really is quite annoying.

Your well thought out arguments are...............

Your mature comments are................

Your starting up with the personal insults AGAIN are PRICELESS.

For everything else there is Mastercard. :lol:

Your starting up with the personal insults AGAIN are PRICELESS.

For everything else there is Mastercard.  :lol:

You sir are right. I apologize for calling you a dickhead, a whiner and telling you to shut up.

Oh wait, that's what you did and called me.

btw can you please explain to me the apparent contradiction in the following two quotes?

Alberta, Saskatchewan, and BC probably are probably the most affluent provinces in the country.
Actually if you can believe it BC, the last time I checked, is a HAVE NOT province.

Did your opinion change in the 48 minutes between your posts? Did you uncover new information in that time? Or where you just trolling?

I don't mean to give away the secret location, but if Tim Murphy is reading, I'd appreciate it if he could e-mail me with a list of Landslide Annie's food allergies.
See below.
Prime Minister Paul Martin will host a closed-door meeting next week with about 35 big donors to the Liberal Party at an unpublicized fundraiser in Edmonton, Liberal officials said yesterday.
Does the use of "about" when referring to 35 big donors mean plus/minus 25 or so? Or plus/minus 35 or so?

Kimmy, how big is your rec room? Your basement apartment? A bunk bed at the hostel?

Guest eureka

Shoop. Perhaps you should give your understanding a little work out. What Davey said has nothing at all to do with treatment of the West. It has to do with election probabilities.

The "screwing" the West, a little bit of the West, actually, thinks it is getting now relates to the false belief that it is somehow shortchanged in the benefits of being Canadian.

That is garbage as much as your interpretation of Davey is.

Perhaps you could lay off your verbal assaults on Mirror long enough to give your attention to what you are posting. It is a long time since we had a wolf here baying for the blood of another with almost every post.

Alberta should play the game a bit smarter and consider following Quebec's example and be part of the government instead of constantly being on the outside looking in.

A good analogy is environmentalists. They should join the NDP and work from within the NDP rather that stay connected to the Greens, who have never ever won a seat, and maybe never will.

Shoop. Perhaps you should give your understanding a little work out. What Davey said has nothing at all to do with treatment of the West. It has to do with election probabilities.

The "screwing" the West, a little bit of the West, actually, thinks it is getting now relates to the false belief that it is somehow shortchanged in the benefits of being Canadian.

That is garbage as much as your interpretation of Davey is.

Perhaps you could lay off your verbal assaults on Mirror long enough to give your attention to what you are posting. It is a long time since we had a wolf here baying for the blood of another with almost every post.

What?

Let's take a look at the Davey comment. His comment epitomized a strategy of campaigning to win an election by winning seats East of the Manitoba-Ontario border. This included focusing the campaign themes, advertising money and time spent campaigning anywhere but the west.

How was it only a "little bit" of the west? Of the 80 seats contested west of the Manitoba Ontario border (including both in the NWT) the Liberals won two. Great result for a NATIONAL party????

This balanced caucus lead to the most blatant SCREWING of the West in modern times i.e. the National Energy Program.

How is the interpretation garbage?

Mirror has called me a dickhead, a whiner and told me to shut up, yet I am the one who needs to lay off the verbal assaults?

• Forum Admin

shoop, if you've got a problem with Mirror and you want to comment on him personally, then do it over PM or report the post directly to me. And this is your last warning - call someone a troll again, and you'll be taking a timeout.

Mirror, your above the law attitude is growing thin with me - particularly after everything that has happened this week. If you continue to pick fights with other posters, you may find yourself taking a timeout too.

Keep the petty infighting outside of the forum.

Mirror called me a whiner and told me to shut up AFTER Greg 'dealt with it'. Why are my manners out of order?
It's "Or were you just trolling?"  :lol:

Look what you buffoons did to my thread! :angry:

Apologize to kimmy!

Does the use of "about" when referring to 35 big donors mean plus/minus 25 or so? Or plus/minus 35 or so?

Kimmy, how big is your rec room? Your basement apartment? A bunk bed at the hostel?

Don't worry, it's cool. My parents said I could have friends over. :)

I'm sure the "about 35" means approximately 35. It's a big city, with many successful business people. I don't doubt that there were 35 who could cough up $5000 for the Liberals, or at least cough up $5000 for the chance to hang out with PMPM.

The 35 donations of $5000 would account for over 10% of the money the Liberals have raised this year, which might be a good indication of why the PM no longer views this as (to borrow a phrase from an article mirror linked to) "fly-over" territory (as in someplace you fly over on the way to Vancouver.)

Perhaps the "The West Wants In" crowd has had it wrong for all these years. Perhaps the way to get "in" isn't by sending MPs with colorful ideas of how to modernize government after all. Perhaps the way to more influence in Ottawa is just donating more money to the right people.

-k