Mr Martin Goes To Edmonton!

kimmy

Apologize to kimmy!

Sorry kimmy. :o

I'm sure the "about 35" means approximately 35.  It's a big city, with many successful business people. I don't doubt that there were 35 who could cough up $5000 for the Liberals, or at least cough up $5000 for the chance to hang out with PMPM.

Realistically there are some 'true believers out there. There PMO also needs to appoint judges, commissioners yada yada from Alberta. A history of cutting $5k cheques couldn't hurt.

The 35 donations of $5000 would account for over 10% of the money the Liberals have raised this year, which might be a good indication of why the PM no longer views this as (to borrow a phrase from an article mirror linked to) "fly-over" territory (as in someplace you fly over on the way to Vancouver.)

Alberta has had the reputation of Redmonton for a long time. Yet again PM Dithers has proved to be a far less able politician than Chretien. Chretien realized the value of Edmonton and made money from it, inspite of the city's infestation with Martinites amongst its "Liberal elite".

Perhaps the "The West Wants In" crowd has had it wrong for all these years. Perhaps the way to get "in" isn't by sending MPs with colorful ideas of how to modernize government after all.  Perhaps the way to more influence in Ottawa is just donating more money to the right people.

-k

Not much of a change at all. Those who are cutting the cheques are doing so for personal gain. Those cheques won't help Edmonton anymore than all previous donations have.

Liberals head west in bid for support

But Goodale's approach, which is all about making Canadians more productive in the workplace, is seen in some quarters as a right-wing notion that will appeal more to Bay Street than main street.

It contrasts with the tens of billions of dollars in new spending that the Liberals have lavished on health care, the environment, cities, seniors, foreign aid, post-secondary education, child care and other social programs in recent years. And some Liberals wonder if it's the kind of package that a minority government should champion heading into an election.

"I think it will be an issue where you will have debates from both sides," said Savoy.

Behind closed doors in Regina, MPs are expected to have a lot to say as well about the possible political damage the government faces from record-high gasoline prices, the continuing trade irritants with the United States, gun crime in Toronto and the state of federal-provincial relations.

The caucus will also get an update on federal finances and MPs will want to know how Martin plans to handle the complaints from the opposition parties if, as expected, the government reveals it has once again underestimated the size of the federal budget surplus.

It seems like the Liberals are up to their usual tricks playing both sides of the fence. But hey why not, as it has worked successfully for them in the past so why not now, eh! :(

I would say the main purpose of this trip is Ontario optics. Dithers wants to show that he can get along with westerners, or at least he is willing to try. If he runs into any opposition, people in Ontario will just think that Albertans always complain - even when the feds make an effort to meet them half way.

I would say the main purpose of this trip is Ontario optics.
I am sure that Martin would really like to appeal to Alberta voters, however, his prospects are limited because a large segment of the population would never vote Liberal even if Jesus Christ came back from the dead to lead the party. That said, it is good that he at least makes the attempt and does not deserve the cynical sneering - he is do nothing more than what a national politician should do.

I am sure that Martin would really like to appeal to Alberta voters, however, his prospects are limited because a large segment of the population would never vote Liberal even if Jesus Christ came back from the dead to lead the party. That said, it is good that he at least makes the attempt and does not deserve the cynical sneering - he is do nothing more than what a national politician should do.

Martin was talking about a historic breakthrough in Alberta not all that long ago.

Is he willing to align his social policies more with those of the average Albertan to do so?

If not, the cynicism is deserved.

I would say the main purpose of this trip is Ontario optics.  Dithers wants to show that he can get along with westerners, or at least he is willing to try.  If he runs into any opposition, people in Ontario will just think that Albertans always complain - even when the feds make an effort to meet them half way.

Sounds like a good strategy to me.

I would say the main purpose of this trip is Ontario optics.  Dithers wants to show that he can get along with westerners, or at least he is willing to try.  If he runs into any opposition, people in Ontario will just think that Albertans always complain - even when the feds make an effort to meet them half way.

I really don't think anybody in Ontario cares if the Liberals head out west at the end of August.

What issue or policy is he attempting to meet Albertans half way on? If there is some sort of future conflict with Alberta what can he point to from this trip?

As Sparhawk said the Liberal caucus should try and incorporate all of Canada.

Besides the $175K raised from the big wig dinner plus another boatload of cash from a less expensive, but much more well-attended dinner, doesn't hurt.

Nothing clandestine here. I think PM Martin is just practicing some good time management skills. He should however bill the Liberal party for the that portion of his trip that is strictly Liberal party business, and bill the rest of us for the government business end of things.  :lol:

I think it's his campaign run. Carry a bag of cash to Sask, hoping to buy a couple votes. Seems very transparent to me. Goodale is looking for re-election and hoping to please his people. If Goodale was smart he would ditch PM and try to get elected on his merit. Goodale's budget was supposed to bring cash to Sask, so maybe he'll win some favor.

Since an election is not yet called, he can bill the taxpayers for a free campaign run!!!

I think it's his campaign run. Carry a bag of cash to Sask, hoping to buy a couple votes. Seems very transparent to me. Goodale is looking for re-election and hoping to please his people. If Goodale was smart he would ditch PM and try to get elected on his merit. Goodale's budget was supposed to bring cash to Sask, so maybe he'll win some favor.

Since an election is not yet called, he can bill the taxpayers for a free campaign run!!!

LC

Agreed.

If the Libranos were smart they would run similiar type "Team" ads and distance themselves a bit from too much just Paul Martin.

Rumour is there was a second dinner for less "affluent" supporters.

1,000 people at $250 a plate or something along those lines. Can anyone confirm this? Am in the ballpark for number of attendees? Ticket price?

Where?

There is something truly pathetic that Mr. Dithers must go West to get money. (I thought the story was PR... )

If the West needs better representaion then it should elect better representatives. It has the numbers to which it is entitled in any democratic system.

What would you suggest? When we send opposition-side MPs to Ottawa, they shake their fists angrily from the sidelines. When we send government-side MPs to Ottawa, they become useless lapdogs (for instance Landslide Annie, or all those Alberta Tories in the Mulroney government) or quit in frustration (Kilgour, both times.) Sending government side MPs is of no use, opposition MPs are of no use, so else is there?

-k

Guest eureka

Send any side: but send them without the idea that the only thing that matters is their personal view of things.

Western politicians do not have a monopoly on wisdom and, in fact, they seem to have very little of that since all they do is cry that they want to make the rules for everyone else. They have to learn that there are more views than their's and that just maybe, those other views are the better ones.

Politics is said to be the art of the possible. It will never be posible for about one tenth of the population to tell the other 90% that "you will do it my way, or else." That is about what this so-called Western alienation comes down to. Just as it is with Quebec.

"They have to learn that there are more views than their's and that just maybe, those other views are the better ones."-Eureka

And the rest of that statement would be, only Liberals have good ideas, therefore , other ideas will never be considered. Doesn't sound like a very democratic process to me. Oh wait, Mister Martin is going to do something about that. Sure he is.

If Martin was serious about the democratic deficit he would have begun to do something about it by now.

"The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with."

- Eleanor Holmes Norton