The treatment of our Vets

Army Guy

It really surprises me that in todays world , in our country that has claimed we are superior to so many nations around the world in regards to human rights  , that we as Canadian citizens and our government see our service members as a liability and actually don't give a rats ass about our vets...So much that our justice system has publicly back our government efforts to discard any vets claims....in the last 2 years this government has gone to court and they have decided that that a)The federal government is not responsible to provide a safe and harassment free work place...AND now the government does not have to look after vets that become injured while on duty to this nation, that they have NO social contract to look after anybody for any injury in a federal work place....The government is now making head way to cancel ALL medical released soldiers benefits…. replacing them with a duty to employ, regardless of injury...if you can't be employed, here is the return of contributions to your pension, have a nice life....this will be policy in the near future, these are the new cost saving measures that our government and CDS have agreed to......

And yet the government has not changed any of its laws regarding soldiers disregarding orders that may result in death, or what they call unlimited liability...that states a soldier must obey every command even if it results in their death.....now disregarding or refusing this order once was punishable by death with out trail, after before WII it was changed to needs a trail, but still could result in death....now it is just punishable by imprisonment, and dishonorable discharge, try getting employment after that....And we thought that since we had to basically put our lives in our nations hands, in return we would get looked after if wounded, or killed....Now our nation says F**** you, we don't owe you shit...we make the rules here, so now with no work mans comp, no social contract to be looked after....we get shown the door , to live with our injuries the rest of our lives , with no compensation..... I mean this very government has not over turned a decision to give a convicted killer of a 9 year old, the right to be sent to a healing lodge....nor has it over turned giving a convicted murder VAC benefits for PTSD that he got killing a police officer, and did not serve one F888ing day of service to his country....What kind of message are we sending our soldiers....and RCMP members, here is what I hear....F**** you, you piece of shit....you do not deserve the sweat off a monkeys balls....unless perhaps you kill a 9 year with a hammer, or a police officer then maybe we will look after you.....until then there is the door....What a great recruiting ad that would make....the liberals love criminals but spit on vets I wish there was some emoji of someone hanging a moon, because that is what I think this post needs....

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/david-j-bercuson-angry-veterans-today-a-unionized-canadian-military-tomorrow

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/veterans-federal-election-candidates-1.3230996

https://ipolitics.ca/2016/05/19/why-is-trudeau-kicking-veterans-to-the-curb/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/the-conservatives-treatment-of-veterans-is-hypocritical/article15564363/

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2013/11/11/royal-legion-concerned-by-treatment-of-canadas-war-veterans/

I love this country , but hate where it is going....

Edited by Army Guy
  • Like 1

The treatment of vets has become an open sore. Politically, the issue has been mishandled by two successive governments. The current government needs to make this situation right or face the political consequences for not doing so. At least Harper's government had a broadly-based antipathy to all manner of benefits claimants so could reasonably claim virtue in its consistency. With Trudeau, though, some interests and groups get special treatment while others are shunted to the sidelines, rendering the treatment of vets more apparently callous. 

Edited by turningrite
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I love this country , but hate where it is going...

So stage a coup and set it on the right path.  You should find plenty enough support here at home and the time seems ripe enough on the global stage - governments from Washington to Riyadh will be lining up to support and recognize the coups legitimacy and people fed up with liberals in their countries may even be inspired to follow suit.  Just think of the possibilities.   

I love this planet but I alternate between laughing and shaking my head at the people I share it with... 

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

So when the government tells Canadians to support the troops, it is because the government does not support our troops?? Colour me surprised.

We should go back to the days when the government asked Canadians to support the troops buy purchasing war-bonds.

Maybe after the coup?  I'll be really surprised.

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

We should go back to the days when the government asked Canadians to support the troops buy purchasing war-bonds.

Maybe we should sponsor individual soldiers, the same way some people sponsor third world children.  We could get a photograph, and a little bio.  Mike Holmes could do the commercial.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, Wilber said:

If so, I think the message is don't join the military or RCMP. I hate to say it but that would be my advice.

Or try change both. Call me naïve but we need people to join the political system and armed forces  and change both. The only way to have that happen is to openly question and engage in critical challenges. Its easy to come on this forum and giggle about what he said. The gigglers giggle because they have the fatness of privileged sheltered lifestyle to jiggle about.

I never thought I would live in a country where people turn terrorists into multi-millionaire privileged elitists and leave soldiers to rot.

It makes me puke. I want it changed. I support what Argus says.

Edited by Rue
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, eyeball said:

Spoken like a true silver spooned  sheltered privileged entitled elitist.

Those war bonds and the troops you giggle at took down a way of life you are so pampered and sheltered from you can't fathom it.

This is why I have such contempt for this dripping elitist snot faced tone.

You mock but you haven't a clue what you mock.

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, bcsapper said:

Maybe we should sponsor individual soldiers, the same way some people sponsor third world children.  We could get a photograph, and a little bio.  Mike Holmes could do the commercial.

Did you say that to mock and ridicule the comments Army Guy said? Go on spit it out. Don' make passive aggressive snarky comments, state why you think anything he said was not legitimate in content or concern. Can you? Come on BC totally out of line. If you have no respect why come on here and show it? Has it established a salient point? You did get a giggle though.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, eyeball said:

So stage a coup and set it on the right path.  You should find plenty enough support here at home and the time seems ripe enough on the global stage - governments from Washington to Riyadh will be lining up to support and recognize the coups legitimacy and people fed up with liberals in their countries may even be inspired to follow suit.  Just think of the possibilities.   

I love this planet but I alternate between laughing and shaking my head at the people I share it with... 

Nothing in what he said even remotely attaches to your comments in content, subject matter, or focus of concerns highlighted. The fact that you try attack him personally and make smarmy comments that he  wants to stage a military coup speaks to your closed bigoted mind and intolerance to any views but your own.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, GostHacked said:

So when the government tells Canadians to support the troops, it is because the government does not support our troops?? Colour me surprised.

Please clarify. What are you responding to? Is it in response to Army Guy because again what the hell does I t have to do with a thing he said? Do explain your process for inferring the above from what he said. Sounds to me like you want to take a complex issue you can't understand that he explained and then because you could not understand it, project your own simplistic inferences on what he said to arrive at your new conclusion which reflects your confusion not his. Hope that was not too complex to decipher. Probably was. I am sure if he spoke of something you agreed with you would be the first on here using it to piss on your favourite targets.

25 minutes ago, Rue said:

Or try change both. Call me naïve but we need people to join the political system and armed forces  and change both. The only way to have that happen is to openly question and engage in critical challenges. Its easy to come on this forum and giggle about what he said. The gigglers giggle because they have the fatness of privileged sheltered lifestyle to jiggle about.

I never thought I would live in a country where people turn terrorists into multi-millionaire privileged elitists and leave soldiers to rot.

It makes me puke. I want it changed. I support what Argus says.

I agree that we should try to change both but I was also serious. Back in the day when we were sending guys to Bosnia with Viet Nam vintage APC's, my son was talking about joining the army. I told him I would be very proud of him if he did but I would also be really pissed if he came to grief serving a country that claims to be the best in the world but provided its troops with such shoddy equipment. It seems the country's attitude towards its military hasn't changed much since then. He didn't join the military, he stayed in college, went into victims services and eventually became a police officer.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Did you say that to mock and ridicule the comments Army Guy said? Go on spit it out. Don' make passive aggressive snarky comments, state why you think anything he said was not legitimate in content or concern. Can you? Come on BC totally out of line. If you have no respect why come on here and show it? Has it established a salient point? You did get a giggle though.

Oh bollocks.  The only post I read was eyeball's.  That and the thread title.

And now yours.

Glad I was able to offend somebody though.

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Nothing in what he said even remotely attaches to your comments in content, subject matter, or focus of concerns highlighted.

Sure it does.

On 9/27/2018 at 4:39 PM, Army Guy said:

I love this country , but hate where it is going....

You figure Canada is immune to a military coup or even should be especially when it's fallen under the spell of smarmy snot-nosed elitists like bcsapper?  

4 hours ago, Rue said:

I have zero issue coming on this board, caling out the insincere passive aggressive remarks and defending what Argus said verbatim.

I don't know about Army Guy but I'd sure be right pissed if someone repeatedly mistook me for Argus..  Try wiping the snot out of your eyes Rue.

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Sure it does.

You figure Canada is immune to a military coup or even should be especially when it's fallen under the spell of smarmy snot-nosed elitists like bcsapper?  

Just Alberta for now...

10 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Just Alberta for now...

BC I am not here to insult  you. I am here to challenge anyone ridiculing what Army Guy was trying to discuss. Look at the level Eye is at.

Childish passive aggressive remarks from spoiled brats need challenging. Leave it at that and an apology to you if  you were not dissing Army Guy and I took it out of context.

I respect you and your posts. 

Edited by Rue

On 9/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, bcsapper said:

Yes the respect for our soldiers just drips from this post - like snot or something.

1 hour ago, Rue said:

BC I am not here to insult  you. I am here to challenge anyone ridiculing what Army Guy was trying to discuss. Look at the level Eye is at.

Childish passive aggressive remarks from spoiled brats need challenging. Leave it at that and an apology to you if  you were not dissing Army Guy and I took it out of context.

I respect you and your posts. 

49 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Yes the respect for our soldiers just drips from this post - like snot or something.

As a vet I have the normal amount of respect for soldiers who are on our side, and some who are not.  I also have a healthy respect for an opening, and not much for offense.

I have allergies too.

image.png

Edited by bcsapper
Added quotes.

It has been a tragic practice that after a war, the vets become surplus to requirements. After the Great War, our returning soldiers were mistreated. This goes back centuries to the aftermath or the defeat of the Armada when sailors were held on their ships for months because the government did not want to pay them. Roman Legions suffered the same neglect. The only time I can think of when there was some fair treatment of vets was after World War II. 

29 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Interestingly that was a period of massive government intervention in the economy and the stirrings of social justice.

A massive mistake?

It was also a period when some Great War vets were in positions of influence and didn't want to repeat the same betrayal.