What's so hard about the King and I?

betsy

Scarlett Johanssen is making the news for capitulating to pressure.  She gave up her role as a transgender....to make way for a real transgender to  play it.   

These days, there is no such thing as "make-believe" anymore when you go watch the movie.   You can no longer escape from the real world when you go see a movie - actually, the movie very much remind you of it.  You're dragged into the politics of the world you're trying to forget for a few hours. 

If the role calls for a lesbian.....you gotta have a real lesbian to portray it.  If it calls for an Indian, he has to be a real one. 

What’s So Hard About Casting Indian Actors in Indian Roles?

Mr. Sheridan admitted, “There was someone far and away that was the best, but I didn’t hire them because they were not Native American.” He even told his casting directors that when it came to auditioning actors, “Don’t even read them unless you can vet the authentic nature of their ancestry.”

“Fifteen or 20 years ago, they would have found someone who was ethnic enough, and that would have flown,” said Lou Diamond Phillips, who plays a Cheyenne business owner in the A&E drama “Longmire.”

Frequently cast as Native American, but of Filipino, Scottish-Irish and some Cherokee ancestry, Mr. Phillips has played a range of roles, from a Mexican-American teenager in “Stand and Deliver” to Thai royalty on Broadway in “The King and I.” He added, “I never claimed to be a Native actor, but I do have Native blood.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/movies/wind-river-native-american-actors-casting.html

So....what's someone like Diamond Phillips doing usurping the role of a Thai?    Even though I haven't seen any of his performances as the King of Siam, I doubt very much that anyone can portray THAI King Mongkut any better than the Russian, Yul Bryner. 

Before KIm, it was a Japanese Ken Wantanbe, who played the role of the Thai king.   And, now.....a Korean.   Why is a Korean, Daniel Dae Kim portraying a Thai role?    Is it because of their physical looks, like their eyes?  Koreans, Japanese and Thai have that same slanting eyes?  We just lump them all together from that region, eh?

Will there be pressure to close down the current production of the King and I?    And  find a Thai to portray him from now on? 

Where's the outrage?

What about The Sound of Music?    All those actors playing it onstaged should all be Austrian!

.....and they better make sure everyone is a genuine Jew who portray them in Holocaust movies!

....and if they ever do a remake of Hotel Rwanda, it better not be Don Cheadle (ancestry from Cameroon),  in that starring role as Paul Rusesabagina .  It better be a Rwandan actor!  Not, Ethiopian, or South African, or Congonese......he has to be from Rwanda!  After all, we shouldn't be all lumping Africans together on the basis of their color!

The hypocritical, twisted, dysfunctional leftist mentality isn't funny anymore.   They destroy everything they touch.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Some of the reactions to Johanssen's casting as a transgender reeks with.........envy.  

Oh word?? So you can continue to play us but we can’t play y’all? Hollywood is so fucked... I wouldn’t be as upset if I was getting in the same rooms as Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett for cis roles, but we know that’s not the case. A mess.

Actors who are trans never even get to audition FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN ROLES OF TRANS CHARACTERS. THATS THE REAL ISSUE. WE CANT EVEN GET IN THE ROOM. Cast actors WHO ARE TRANS as NON TRANS CHARACTERS. I DARE YOU

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Transgender-Actors-Reactions-Scarlett-Johansson-Casting-45015289

Lol.   You can have the prettiest face there is in hollywood, but the question is:   can you draw in moviegoers like Lawrence and Johanssen?     So you aren't getting in the same rooms as A-listers!   Can you see the difference between you and them?  

No.  You guys are so f****d.   You forget that making movies is a business!   It boils down to......WHAT SELLS! 

If the producers don't want to take a chance on any   no-name wannabes, that's their prerogative!  If you want so much to be in the movies.....you guys better come up with your own movie!  Do a gofundme!   I'm sure millions of leftists will be more than happy to support you.

Maybe you can even ask Streep, and DUH-Niro to appear in it.....for free!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Of course, we can see how some movie producers will try to avoid this kind of hassles from now on, eh?  

They'll make movies that aren't going to be a platform for people like you!  I bet transgender characters won't be in a lot of them.  

And......novelists (who aim to sell their works to Hollywood), will create novels that will be easy to sell to producers!

You know what that means?

That's why I say.........

You guys are so f****d!   You forget that  making movies is a business!   It boils down to......WHAT SELLS! 

You can only count on producers who share the same agendas as you guys.  Good luck at the box-office.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

There's not supposed to be logic or consistency in a mass response.  You can ask individuals but not amorphous and undefined mass groups.

Also attributing politics to it is self-serving.  These are just moral responses, there's no logic there.

But they do try to intimidate and dictate, right?    Johanssen should've had the spine to forge ahead.

• Like 1

I remember hearing an interview with Harry Smith (Jay Silverheels). He was one of the few First Nations actors in Hollywood. But he never got the decent roles except as a heavy in Key Largo. Then there was the great Iron Eyes Cody. I was shocked to find out he was Italian.  Obviously, he was a good actor to pull that off for what, forty years?

Sir Alec Guinness summed it all up: "It's called acting, dear boy." 

There may not be many trans actors getting straight roles, but there have been lots of gay actors getting straight roles and vice versa.

Edited by Queenmandy85
  • Like 1

Seems to be mob rule these days as the social media mob determines what is right or wrong, in their eyes of course.  They are a danger to society.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-social-media-mob-is-a-danger-to-society/2018/07/12/eef13834-860b-11e8-9e80-403a221946a7_story.html?utm_term=.bd94ee726e4e

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Who is 'they' ?  Outraged people act the same everywhere.

They means people who are in the audience for biographies about trans men.  

I don't know much about that pic, but if it's a biopic - with Johannsen - they were getting the biography about this transman, aren't they?   

If transgender people don't like the movie with Johannsen, no one's forcing them to see it!   They can hope it flops.

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, betsy said:

It's this "special status" being given to so-called "special groups!"   What makes LGBT and Indians so special, and above other groups?

They aren't.  In fact, the recent infighting in the LBG....... community shows they are exactly like everyone else.  Everyone is.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I remember hearing an interview with Harry Smith (Jay Silverheels). He was one of the few First Nations actors in Hollywood. But he never got the decent roles except as a heavy in Key Largo. Then there was the great Iron Eyes Cody. I was shocked to find out he was Italian.  Obviously, he was a good actor to pull that off for what, forty years?

Sir Alec Guinness summed it all up: "It's called acting, dear boy." 

There may not be many trans actors getting straight roles, but there have been lots of gay actors getting straight roles and vice versa.

Yes......acting.   That's how actors shine through with their prowess - to make something unreal, seem real.   Remember Charlize Theron gaining weight for the Monster movie?  Matthew McConaughey too, really got into a role and had lost so much weight for it -  that I thought he had AIDS or is dying!

Lol.  Given the campaign for mental health awareness these days.......if the character is insane - should we now insist that a real insane person depict it?   :lol:

Edited by betsy

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

They aren't.  In fact, the recent infighting in the LBG....... community shows they are exactly like everyone else.  Everyone is.

But....they are being treated by others as special.   Just look at all the hoopla about Johannsen! 

They're making a big deal with Johannsen playing a role that was meant for an asian woman in another movie - but no one's saying anything about The King and I.   This leaves me to believe that asians/orientals, are being lumped together due to their physical looks!

Edited by betsy

8 minutes ago, betsy said:

But....they are being treated by others as special.   Just look at all the hoopla about Johannsen! 

I know.  It's wrong, but so is a lot of stuff these days.

7 hours ago, betsy said:

Scarlett Johanssen is making the news for capitulating to pressure.  She gave up her role as a transgender....to make way for a real transgender to  play it.   

These days, there is no such thing as "make-believe" anymore when you go watch the movie.   You can no longer escape from the real world when you go see a movie - actually, the movie very much remind you of it.  You're dragged into the politics of the world you're trying to forget for a few hours. 

If the role calls for a lesbian.....you gotta have a real lesbian to portray it.  If it calls for an Indian, he has to be a real one. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/movies/wind-river-native-american-actors-casting.html

So....what's someone like Diamond Phillips doing usurping the role of a Thai?    Even though I haven't seen any of his performances as the King of Siam, I doubt very much that anyone can portray THAI King Mongkut any better than the Russian, Yul Bryner. 

Before KIm, it was a Japanese Ken Wantanbe, who played the role of the Thai king.   And, now.....a Korean.   Why is a Korean, Daniel Dae Kim portraying a Thai role?    Is it because of their physical looks, like their eyes?  Koreans, Japanese and Thai have that same slanting eyes?  We just lump them all together from that region, eh?

Will there be pressure to close down the current production of the King and I?    And  find a Thai to portray him from now on? 

Where's the outrage?

What about The Sound of Music?    All those actors playing it onstaged should all be Austrian!

.....and they better make sure everyone is a genuine Jew who portray them in Holocaust movies!

....and if they ever do a remake of Hotel Rwanda, it better not be Don Cheadle (ancestry from Cameroon),  in that starring role as Paul Rusesabagina .  It better be a Rwandan actor!  Not, Ethiopian, or South African, or Congonese......he has to be from Rwanda!  After all, we shouldn't be all lumping Africans together on the basis of their color!

The hypocritical, twisted, dysfunctional leftist mentality isn't funny anymore.   They destroy everything they touch.

So, If Daniel Dae Kim (a Korean) is playing a Thai, are we now allowed (or even required) to use the "they all look alike" stereotype?  It's all just too confusing!

What I don't understand is this.  Why didn't Scarlett Johansson just self identify as Trans for the duration of the filming?  From talking to people who are knowledgeable about these things, I get the impression that's all that is really required.

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

What I don't understand is this.  Why didn't Scarlett Johansson just self identify as Trans for the duration of the filming?  From talking to people who are knowledgeable about these things, I get the impression that's all that is really required.

Why should she say she is what she isn't?  

Just finished watching Wind River, btw.   It's a very good movie.

And no.....I don't think it's hard casting Indians for Indian roles.   A lot of good Indian actors around.....so there are a lot to choose from.    

As for transgender people, I don't know how many actors are transgendered.  If it's slim-picking......that would be a problem. 

A b-acting will definitely make an A-movie look like B.

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, betsy said:

Why should she say she is what she isn't?  

People exaggerate on their resumes all the time.  It would depend on how much she wanted the work.

20 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I guess she didn't want to lie ?  

What does it say about someone if the first thing that comes to their mind is "just lie" to fix the situation ?

20 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Except they get beaten and abused more, mostly because some types, such as Christians, think they are lower than everyone else.  Then they 'save' the people in general and abuse them even more.