Breaking News! Trump Signs Historic Peace Document With North Korea

Now that the US and North Korea are on a path to Peace, has Justin Trudeau become Trump's biggest enemy? How we get Justin Trudeau on board with constructive US relations?

Lately I hear Trudeau talk about how "Retaliation" is appropriate. If the worlds biggest dictator is able to negotiate with Trump, why can't Canada?

Edited by Robert Greene

For his age - and the kind of pressure and tension he faces, not to mention the grueling pace  - the stamina of that guy is quite amazing.  If there's anyone who'd be a candidate for a heart attack, you'd think it's gonna be him!

A big, historic step has been achieved.  

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes, it is quite remarkable to see this actually happen.   And it puts Trump's spat with Trudeau in starker contrast.

Indeed.

If Kim Jong Un could set aside his pride after all that has been said about him.....why couldn't any leader do the same, if it's for the good of his own country?  

Kin Jong Un had deferred to Trump.  A Korean explained the Korean culture - avoiding to look straight in the eyes is a show of deferrence. 

Part of diplomacy and tactful negotiation, is being able to somehow understand Trump.  

Trump is bombastic.....he talks loud.....and he didn't say anything we haven't heard before in that press conference.   That's how he is.   Didn't they review how he talk in all his rallies and conferences with the media?  Didn't they do their homework?

So Trump was talking for his domestic audience.      Trudeau should've just let it go, should've not let pride get in the way.  He should've just kept mum and focused on the positives.  

Edited by betsy

Trudeau should be offering diplomatic support to the NK negotiations. At least symbolically stand with the US. I'm sick of Elite Canadians thinking they are better than the US. The Americans are our biggest friends, and we should be grateful for all they have done for us.

I think with the divisive rhetoric, very few people will vote for Justin in the next election.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Robert Greene said:

Obama couldn't get it done. Liberals bashed Trump non-stop, but a conservative got it done. The outspoken conservative, just took us one step closer to world peace.

'Getting it done' means it holds.  Remember Trump says he 'trusts' Kim, so we are all invested in his ability to judge character from this point.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

'Getting it done' means it holds.  Remember Trump says he 'trusts' Kim, so we are all invested in his ability to judge character from this point.

No, it is far more basic than that....nuclear war with the DPRK, or some kind of diplomatic solution.

Trump can always do the former if necessary, but chose the latter instead even as he was derided for doing so.

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

My guess he offered Kim Jong Un two choices. Do nothing and get himself assassinated, or commit to full denuclearize, in exchange for amnesty, and trade deals, that will significantly increase the prosperity of North Korea.

Kim can go home and Brag about how North Korea is about to become rich.

Trump basically said, you can continue to live the billionaire lifestyle, if you cooperate.

You could Tell that Kim Jong Un felt very nervous, and compromised. He's been bought off.

At the point, i'm more worried about Rogue elements in the North Korean military standing up to Kim Jong Un. Hopefully he has a tight lid on things.

The biggest threat to Kim Jong Un is internal.The real crazies are in the Army.

Edited by Robert Greene

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I am definitely hopeful.  What are some of the predictions as to whether this deal will hold ?

After all is said......we'll eventually capitulate.   Once reality sets in, and grumblings from suffering Canadians  start getting louder, Trudeau will be forced to do a one-on-one negotiations.   Supply management will be thrown under the bus.   That's my prediction.

Oooops.  I misunderstood.  

For Kim Jong Un.....it's looking good.  Quite promising.   His body language showed deference to Trump (not looking straight at Trump  apparently translate to deferrence in Korean culture).    He's very young - 36 I think?   He's looking ahead to a long future, I suppose.

My husband said Kim Jong Un had the kind of smile that looks like a burden has been lifted off his shoulders.  I saw that kind of smile (after their first handshake as they moved off camera). 

On-camera, Kim looked serious - but when they moved on to the side, Kim had a big grin towards Trump.

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, betsy said:

A big, historic step has been achieved.  

Yes. They U.S. has conceded its military operations in South Korea. Kim made the same vague promise to denuclearize he has made and broken several times before, but this time there is no stated plan to make sure he sticks to it. The U.S. made so many concessions with nothing in return, you'd think Kim had a piss tape of his own.

Stamina? Lol    He's out of shape, losing his mind, and fading fast.

Edited by BubberMiley

10 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

Yes. They U.S. has conceded its military operations in South Korea. Kim made the same vague promise to denuclearize he has made and broken several times before, but this time there is no stated plan to make sure he sticks to it. The U.S. made so many concessions with nothing in return, you'd think Kim had a piss tape of his own.

Trump has always said he wanted to take the soldiers back home from South Korea.  I heard that in his campaign!   

From what I understand, the talk was about a reduced presence - what's wrong with that?   Even if they did eventually pull-out!  

Why do you need to spend so much on military in South Korea, if the threat is minimal or hardly there anymore from the North?  Why would they need that yearly military exercise, too?    Imagine eliminating all that cost?  That's a win-win for the USA! 

Compare that with the Liberals plan to use CPP to invest in the 65 year old leaky pipeline!  Lol.

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, Robert Greene said:

Trudeau should be offering diplomatic support to the NK negotiations. At least symbolically stand with the US. I'm sick of Elite Canadians thinking they are better than the US. The Americans are our biggest friends, and we should be grateful for all they have done for us.

I think with the divisive rhetoric, very few people will vote for Justin in the next election.

They're counting the times Canada did something for the USA  (and I'm not trying to dismiss that)..........but I'm sure, had the situation been reversed, the USA would've done the same thing for us.  

Let's not forget too, this smug attitude we have towards our American friends.  We're not exactly behaving like true  friends when we try to make ourselves better at their expense. 

I've seen Marcia McMillan of CTV somehow ridicule Americans whom they show fighting it out at a department store on Black Friday sale.....saying something that translates to, "OH, we're soooooo above that kind of thing in Canada."  Mind you, I've also read a couple of John Sandford novels that also paint Canada in a less flattering picture - smuggling, and terrorist factions. 

But those are fictional novels, whereas CTV is a news/commentary channel.  They're not the same.

I'm convinced that Trudeau's loose mouth is what got Canada into this messy situation with our neighbor.  

He shouldn't have been taking potshots at Trump (started it during the primary when Trump was winning).

Edited by betsy

28 minutes ago, betsy said:

From what I understand, the talk was about a reduced presence - what's wrong with that?   Even if they did eventually pull-out!  

It's reducing U.S. influence and granting concessions while getting nothing in return but a vague promise that was already made many times before. If you are opposed to strong U.S. leadership in the world (like Putin and many others), I agree that it's a great thing.

Can you say what potshots Trudeau made? I know you wouldn't just say things like that, over and over, without at least one example.

8 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

President Trump looks very relaxed during his post summit new conference in Singapore...he is brimming with confidence....more than usual.

Trump has held two news conferences in less than a week...he is on a roll.

More like he IS a roll, and without any butter at all.  Closer to an orange really.

2 hours ago, betsy said:

He shouldn't have been taking potshots at Trump (started it during the primary when Trump was winning).

What were those pot shots from Trudeau?  Give me 1 example and I will give you 20 tweets from Trump to counteract.

If success is measured merely by the fact that these two leaders met with each other, I guess that counts for something. But, as many in the U.S. media are reporting, Kim gave up almost nothing, agreed to no new nuclear concessions and wasn't made to respond to human rights concerns. He comes off the big winner and Trump will try to claim victory based on the mere fact that he's established a rapport with the hermit regime in NK. I think Kim played Trump like a fiddle in all of this. NK had the weaker hand to play but its regime has clearly won by enhancing its legitimacy. Time will tell if the relationship between Trump and Kim amounts to anything substantial. However, at this point, Obama's Iran deal far exceeds in actual importance anything that's been accomplished in Singapore over the past couple days.

Edited by turningrite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

More like he IS a roll, and without any butter at all.  Closer to an orange really.

:rolleyes:

That kind of response is so.....childish. 

What were those pot shots from Trudeau?  Give me 1 example and I will give you 20 tweets from Trump to counteract.

The potshot started during the primary race!  I've already given a source about it way back.   

Trudeau's pot shots continued with his open invitation to all persecuted people of this world - at a time when Trump was trying to ban Muslims from certain countries.  "Doesn't matter your religion....or whom you love...."

His pot shots continued in NY when he gave a speech before graduate students - and he deceptively talked about his view on diversity!  This time, he did that while his ministers were trying to negotiate on NAFTA.   There were no pot shots from Trump prior or, at any time on or before that!  

I'm convinced that Trudeau is the cause why Trump is suddenly concentrating on Canada!  Mexico is hardly mentioned anymore!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Trudeau threw common sense out the window!  He'd let his "bromance" with Obama cloud his judgement!  Here's a thread related to my point!

Don't forget how Trump kept Trudeau waiting at the driveway of the White House for about 10 minutes, when he went to visit Trump for the first time.   You think that wasn't calculated?

Gee....he wasn't even among the first 5 to be invited at the White House. 

Edited by betsy

So no examples of a pot-shot then. An invitation to immigrants and "deceptively?" talking about diversity. You forgot how he won the handshake battle. That was unforgivable.

Meanwhile Trump has his minions saying there's a "special place in hell" for Trudeau because he expressed disappointment with the tariffs. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

But back to the topic, it's fun watching  the right-wingers try and express support for the decline of U.S. influence and the inevitable total dominance of China in Asia.  I personally don't think the world will be a better place now with the decline of U.S. influence, although a lot of my left-wing colleagues will for sure. Finally the alt-right and far left can agree on something, I guess.

Edited by BubberMiley