How do you know what media/sources to trust?

More on how Russia's huge disinformation network works. They will put comments on mainstream western media sites on an 'almost industrial scale' and then regurgitate those opinions in its own media as examples of how people in the West support Putin and think the West is collapsing.

A major operation to influence public opinion saw comments posted on Western media articles in support of Russian interests, according to new research.

Cardiff University's Crime and Security Research Institute found 32 prominent media websites across 16 countries were targeted including Mail Online, the Express and the Times.

The comments were fed back into Russian-language media outlets as the basis for stories, researchers said.

The tactic was spotted this year.

But the operation is believed to have been escalating since at least 2018 and recently focused on the Western withdrawal from Afghanistan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58441662

Edited by Argus
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Came across this in the Globe this morning. Apparently a lot of top journalists in the US have left their jobs and are now publishing for-pay newsletters on a place called substack, and making good money at it too. They say the major media has become too stratified, too restrictive of what can be said or covered, captured by the woke mob with Twitter being the real editor. 

For instance, in Freddie deBoer’s top-ranked media post, “It’s All Just Displacement,” the journalist makes the argument that the media is in crisis. He writes that against a grim economic backdrop – the collapse of the media’s old business model, the decline in circulation and revenue, eroded pay, worsening working conditions, mass layoffs and accelerated job competition – all non-conservative professional media outlets have been captured by a fringe, far-left ideology that originated at elite American universities and spread through social media. “Those politics are obscure, they are confusing, they are socially and culturally extreme, they are expressed in a bizarre vocabulary, they are deeply alienating to many, and they are very unpopular by any definition,” the long-time leftist writes. “The vast majority of the country is not woke.”

Or as Barry Weiss writes about the New York Times.

Bari Weiss left The New York Times in the summer of 2020, with a widely circulated resignation letter that charged the paper with failing to learn the lessons of the 2016 election – “lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society.” She argued the paper had become a performance space for predetermined narratives, with Twitter acting as its ultimate editor. “A new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books/article-how-the-subscription-newsletter-service-substack-is-changing-the/

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Came across this in the Globe this morning. Apparently a lot of top journalists in the US have left their jobs and are now publishing for-pay newsletters on a place called substack, and making good money at it too. They say the major media has become too stratified, too restrictive of what can be said or covered, captured by the woke mob with Twitter being the real editor. 

Bari Weiss left The New York Times in the summer of 2020, with a widely circulated resignation letter that charged the paper with failing to learn the lessons of the 2016 election – “lessons about the importance of understanding other Americans, the necessity of resisting tribalism, and the centrality of the free exchange of ideas to a democratic society.”  

I can agree with you about the disease, without agreeing with you on the severity of various symptoms.  

To my mind, the "political correctness" issue floats to the top of the pile from left AND right, mostly because it's simple to understand and easy to fight about.  I'm liberal, but I honestly don't understand why "progressives" talk about this above other issues, given the victories that have been gained of late.  And I feel like I contribute to that topic less than many, including conservatives.

No - I would say a greater danger is the utter lack of coverage of local politics, of corruption, and of money issues - all of which are very concerning.  The fact that so-called conservatives elected a president who did not give a toss about deficits and that was barely discussed is a huge flag.

We can't even be sure of the level of waste, cronyism, and corruption right now because we simply aren't covering it.

Good for you for pointing this out.

A recent poll in the US shows a growing inclination to accept political violence on the part of those who consume right wing media. FOX viewers are more likely to believe that things are so horrible violence is justified, and One America views are even more likely to accept the need for political violence to 'put things right'.

We can see this here on this site, where people who used to be simply conservative are now raging, froth-at-the-mouth, card-carrying loonies obsessed with loving Trump and hating Biden.

The poll from the nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute paints a troubling portrait of a growing segment of the public that is increasingly unmoored from reality as it embraces conspiracy theories about child abduction and stolen elections.

It found a deep divide between those who trust right-wing media outlets and the rest of the nation — and even a divide between those who trust Fox News and those who trust outlets like One America News Network and Newsmax.

The poll found about 3 in 10 Americans, 31 percent, believe the 2020 election was stolen from Trump, including two-thirds of Republicans and a whopping 82 percent of those who trust Fox News more than any other media outlet.

Among those who trust far-right outlets like One America News Network and Newsmax, 97 percent say they believe the election — which even Trump’s own cybersecurity and election security officials agreed was the safest and most secure ever conducted in the United States — was stolen.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/579160-stunning-survey-gives-grim-view-of-flourishing-anti-democratic-opinions?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

Edited by Argus

25 minutes ago, Argus said:

We can see this here on this site, where people who used to be simply conservative are now raging, froth-at-the-mouth, card-carrying loonies obsessed with loving Trump and hating Biden.

Likewise, anecdotal evidence from my social circles give me the impression that people are drifting towards acceptance of political violence "People who advocate for XYZ are making the environment more dangerous for ABC therefore saying UVW is akin to violence".  This is illiberalism.

Does it result in more actual violence happening ?  I would need a study but studies on this subject would likely be mired in politics and unacceptable to one or both sides of the divide.  And hence, enemies of Western Society advance by using our tools against us. 

On 11/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Does it result in more actual violence happening ?  I would need a study but studies on this subject would likely be mired in politics and unacceptable to one or both sides of the divide.  And hence, enemies of Western Society advance by using our tools against us. 

Things like identifying terrorism are now also politically biased. Politics must be reigned in and not allowed to pervade all aspects of normal daily life in society. It needs to have clearly defined boundaries to government power. Most of all, government needs to be told to shut up.

4 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Things like identifying terrorism are now also politically biased. Politics must be reigned in and not allowed to pervade all aspects of normal daily life in society.

2. It needs to have clearly defined boundaries to government power.

3. Most of all, government needs to be told to shut up.

1. I understand that.

2. Ok, but that means we'll need a fight to decide.

3. People want to replace the government with their own interests though.  I don't agree with them.

• 1 month later...