Homosexuality In The Bible

betsy

5 hours ago, betsy said:

Like I've said, there's more to it than just simply to make more children. 

Right on, Betsy!

There's companionship, partnership, affection, mutual goals and purposes, sex for enjoyment, adoption of children, health benfits, psychological benefits and legal/tax benefits.........and NONE of those things are exclusive to hetero relationships.

• Like 1

Betsy, for one who understands Christianity so much better than the rest of us, you'd think you'd be aware that mankind does not turn away from sin. It's inherited. We all sin, otherwise why would anyone have died for our sins in the first place? Duh. Billy Graham once said "The Bible teaches us, that all of us are wrong." That includes you, Betsy. You seem to think that everyone else is wrong---except you.

Second of all, I don't have a NIV bible or a Jerusalem Bible, so I'm not interested in the mistakes that may be in that one.

Third, I'll check back in a few days (as I have some work to do right now) after looking up what you've quoted. Just remember, not everything can be taken literally in the bible; if you TRY to do precisely that, it will come up with contradictions, contradictions of your own making.

You seem rather concerned with orgies. What does that have to do with homosexuality?

Do you believe in the Calvinist theory of predestination by the way?

Edited by JamesHackerMP

21 hours ago, Goddess said:

Right on, Betsy!

There's companionship, partnership, affection, mutual goals and purposes, sex for enjoyment, adoption of children, health benfits, psychological benefits and legal/tax benefits.........and NONE of those things are exclusive to hetero relationships.

I wish you'd come up and bring something that's relevant.....something not mished-mashed.    You're confused.  You should read my OP again - my response to the gay church's argument.

"There's companionship, partnership, affection, mutual goals and purposes, sex for enjoyment, adoption of children " - that's why God had said, man will leave his parents and cleave to his wife, man and wife will become one! 

here, let's go review this again, together!

Matthew 19

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’[b]? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

If marriage is for everyone other than a union between a man and a woman -  why is gender specifically stated? 

Of course, you can twist and manipulate it out of context, to suit whatever you want...... but it's clear -  there's no such thing as same-sex union in the Bible!  Anything that deviates from a union between a male and female is consistently considered unnatural by God!  It ties up with all the other verses that were given!

Matthew 19

“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Now, that doesn't mean I'm saying homosexuals are born that way.  The verses refer to marriage/divorce/adultery.  My point is, celibacy.

God had given the union between a man and woman, a purpose!  To have their own family - to raise their children to love, glorify and obey God!  There's more to just mere procreation!

The rest of your benefits are man-made.....quite shallow (considering what we're discussing here)......and all self-centered!   Anyone who puts his trust in God, and who depends on God, won't be worrying too much about those things.  They're irrelevant! 

Edited by betsy

12 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Betsy, for one who understands Christianity so much better than the rest of us, you'd think you'd be aware that mankind does not turn away from sin. It's inherited. We all sin, otherwise why would anyone have died for our sins in the first place? Duh. Billy Graham once said "The Bible teaches us, that all of us are wrong." That includes you, Betsy. You seem to think that everyone else is wrong---except you.

Yes, mankind isn't perfect.  We'll be battling with temptation and sin for the rest of our mortal lives.   But we can fight it. 

That's the whole point - to keep fighting it!   A good analogy would be alcoholics and cigarette smokers, and drug users....... who'd managed to quit and fight their addiction.  Haven't smoked for over 20 years.  I still dream of smoking a cigarette every now and then  (having smoked 2 packs a day and quitting cold turkey - it was the only way that worked for me after several tries).  Funny thing...... in my dream, I also feel the guilt for having smoked it in my dream! :)

Do you believe once a thief, always a thief?  You don't believe in people having the will to reform.....and eventually succeeding?

Anyway.....

If it's not possible to fight against sinning, why would Jesus say it?

Why did Jesus tell people to “go and sin no more” if sinlessness is impossible?

In saying, “Go and sin no more,” Jesus was not speaking of sinless perfection. He was warning against a return to sinful lifestyle choices.

His words both extended mercy and demanded holiness. Jesus was always the perfect balance of “grace and truth” (John 1:14). With forgiveness comes the expectation that we will not continue in the same path of rebelliousness. Those who know God’s love will naturally want to obey Him (John 14:15).

https://www.gotquestions.org/go-and-sin-no-more.html

Here is one very controversial conversion, because of who she was - a prominent figure in the LGBT movement.

Charlene E. Cothran is an American journalist and the publisher of the magazines Venus and the defunct Kitchen Table News (not to be confused with the feminist, activist publishing company Kitchen Table: Women of Color Press).

Cothran founded Venus in 1995 in Atlanta, Georgia. Cothran, a former lesbian and gay rights activist, tailored Venus to the interests of LGBT people of African descent, especially African-American lesbians.

Following a religious conversion to Christianity in 2006,[1] Cothran changed the editorial policy of Venus, and began to promote what is popularly called the ex-gay movement through the magazine. Cothran claims that her target audience remains the same. Cothran's abrupt renunciation of her activist political views in favor of evangelical proclamations sparked a campaign by the gay community resulting in the loss of advertising revenue.[2]

Today I am celibate. Again, I don’t say I will never have a man in my life, I’m not saying I will never be married to a man. Who knows what the Lord has in store for me. But there is one thing I can say and one thing I will go on record and say—I will never be entangled with the bondage of lesbianism again.

— April 2007 interview[3]

Cothran went on to form The Evidence Ministry, Inc., an evangelical mission encouraging gays to renounce homosexuality.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlene_Cothran

"In 2003, I was in Chicago at a gay pride event, in the middle of this beautiful park," Cothran recalled. "I took a panoramic view, and as far as I could see there were men with men and women with women, all just partying and having a good time. But a shame fell on me, I felt so out of place. I knew something in my spirit spoke that, 'this is that road that leads to destruction, and you're on it.'"

It took several years to come to terms with this vision, and during that time Cothran continued to publish her gay and lesbian magazine. But she couldn't escape the message she'd heard that day in 2003.

She said, "I kept myself busy with marches and activism and public appearances. But in the still of the night when everything is over, there was still that little voice, "You're not right with God."

Then in June 2006, local Pastor Vanessia Livingston of Miracle Deliverance Church called Cothran, regarding an article in one her publications. She didn't know anything about Cothran's life and proceeded to talk to her about God.

Livingston asked Cothran, "What are you going to do about your life?" Then she told her, "'You need to get your life together.' Cothran said, 'I'm in the life.' I said, 'Yes, I know, that's why I'm talking to you, but you don't have to stay in the life. You can be delivered today, right now, right where you are.'"

They talked for awhile and Cothran remembers her words: "I can tell that you want to come back to God, but you feel unworthy, you feel that God can't use you because you've been marching and publishing and you've been such a proud lesbian all these years, but that's not true. He's waiting."

That day changed everything for Charlene Cothran, as she finally asked Jesus Christ to come into her heart and forgive her.

It was a personal transformation that she immediately wanted to share with her gay and lesbian followers. She wrote a front page article in her magazine called, "Redeemed! Ten Ways to Get Out of the Gay Life, if You Want Out."

"When the Lord saved me, I knew everything would change," she said. "All of the ads, the editorials, the mission of the magazine had changed. We're going to be calling people out of homosexuality."

http://www.theroadtoemmaus.org/RdLb/22SxSo/PnSx/HSx/CothranVenusOut.htm

I think, we have to be wary of our weaknesses.  We know what they are.  Jesus will give us the strength.  All we have to do is ask.

Edited by betsy

Second of all, I don't have a NIV bible or a Jerusalem Bible, so I'm not interested in the mistakes that may be in that one.

KJV says the same thing.  All the other main stream, credible Bibles do, too.  

Third, I'll check back in a few days (as I have some work to do right now) after looking up what you've quoted. Just remember, not everything can be taken literally in the bible; if you TRY to do precisely that, it will come up with contradictions, contradictions of your own making.

You seem rather concerned with orgies. What does that have to do with homosexuality?

Do you believe in the Calvinist theory of predestination by the way?

Never mind trying to convince me, James. 

I'm not trying to convince you really (though it would be wonderful if you see the light).  I'm just explaining and trying to clarify things....for the sake of the readers, or anyone confused and trying to find answers.

Edited by betsy

13 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Didn't you read the arguments by the gay church?  About worship of Baal/gods in those days? 

You should read, James.  No wonder you're out of sync.....and you're lost as to what I'm on about.

Edited by betsy

On 3/30/2018 at 5:45 PM, JamesHackerMP said:

Betsy you say that the bible predicted things that we know today to be scientific, correct? You've certainly reiterated something to that effect (Over and over again, unfortunately). It's scientifically confirmed that it's not a mental illness, it just happens. It's the way people are wired.

It's hard to know the truth these days, James.  A lot of so- called biased studies going around.  It doesn't help that we're so much into political correctness, and that media is a culprit too in manipulating what we read.

Ever heard of Michael Glatze?

Former Gay Youth Leader Re-Emerges to Tell His Dramatic Conversion Story

Since then he says he has “relied on God, and God alone.” “I have enjoyed living a relatively ‘normal’ life,” he said. “I go to church. I’ve dated girls. And, I continue to understand the ramifications of the homosexual sin in increasingly deep ways, as I encounter others in the grip of this sin, learn more about human nature, and watch my own experiences – comparing them to the way I might’ve responded or acted in certain situations just a few years ago.

“There are countless individuals who have successfully left the homosexual lifestyle, have gotten away from the habits of homosexual sin, and who have happy and healthy lives,” he continued.

He says he has been edified by “many, many e-mails from people in various parts of the world who related to my story … who encouraged me to keep going down this road, who are happy, who have left homosexuality far, far behind, who have kids, [and] who have beautiful spouses.”

https://catholicexchange.com/former-gay-youth-leader-re-emerges-to-tell-his-dramatic-conversion-story

At first I'd heard that two of my gay friends at university are now married to women.  Well....that was inaccurate.  In fact, there are three of them who'd become heterosexuals! 

I found one on facebook (we're now friends), and he's a grandfather, and a Christian.  I didn't bring up the past....he didn't, either.

Edited by betsy

An excerpt from  Redeemed! 10 Ways to get out of the gay life, if you want out.

As the publisher of a 13 year old periodical which targets Black gays and lesbians, I have had the opportunity to publicly address thousands, influencing closeted people to ‘come out’ and stand up for them selves, which is particularly difficult in the African-American community.   

But now, I must come out of the closet again.  I have recently experienced the power of change that came over me once I completely surrendered to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  As a believer of the word of God, I fully accept and have always known that same-sex  relationships are not what God intended for us.

Although I have lived as a lesbian for my entire adult life, it is without a doubt my soul’s purpose to use my gifts to LOVINGLY share the truth about how we got here: how we came to be gay or lesbian, how we came to enjoy our ‘lifestyle’ and how we came to believe that this was OK with God.  [Romans 1:21-28]

Many argue that each individual should determine for themselves what God intends for him or her. This would indicate that we each have a separate set of biblical rules to live by.  This is untrue.  If you are ready for change and willing to open yourself to the truth, God’s love can bring your current belief system in line with His Word.  Jesus will cleanse and forgive all confessed sin from a willing heart.  Homosexuality is only one of them.  It is no greater sin than any of the others, but it is sin. 

By now you’re asking, ‘Has she lost her mind? My answer is NO.  I didn’t lose it, I gave it away!  In fact, I traded it in for a new one!  [Romans 12:1-2]

I YIELD

The spirit of God spoke directly into my soul and said you will choose this day who you will serve and if you make the wrong choice, I will allow you to drift so far away from me that you will never hear my voice again.

I gave God my heart and soul in the parking lot of the mall, right there in my car. 

A river of tears flowed as Jesus washed me and forgave me and redeemed me for His work.  I intend be just as ‘out’ about my transformation as I was about my lesbian life.  I have given every gift I have back to God, including VENUS Magazine.  The target audience will remain the same but the mission has been renewed.  Our new mission is to encourage, educate and assist those in the life who want change but can’t find a way out. 

My brother, my sister, please follow me out of this.

MORE....

http://www.blackgospel.com/articles/10waysoutofgaylife/

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, Goddess said:

You're absolutely right, Betsy - the Bible is clearly stating that gay people do not deserve the love, affection, companionship, etc of a relationship.  How dare they.......:rolleyes:

Lovely book you're following, BTW.  Where can I sign up?

You've got a really  serious comprehension problem.  This subject is above your "pay grade." :)

...the Bible is clearly stating that gay people do not deserve the love, affection, companionship, etc of a relationship.  How dare they.......:rolleyes:

Lovely book you're following, BTW.  Where can I sign up?

If that's how you understood it, and you agree with it.....so, you're admitting you're bigoted against gay! :rolleyes:

That doesn't surprise me.  I knew liberals are the real bigots-in-the-closets. 

For sign-ups, I dunno.  Your nearest KuKluxKlan?  Skinheads?

Toodles already.   Go on.  Run along now.

Edited by betsy

This is well past starting to get ridiculous. I don't know why I bothered to respond to this. It's not so much your homophobia masquerading as religion, it's that you try to shut down every argument against you. This isn't a thread on a discussion board, it's a sermon. As I said, you should write a blog or something. I don't participate in one-way conversations (which, by definition, aren't conversations). Your evidence (bible passages above) show at most very weak support for your views. It mystifies me that Christianity has been dumbed-down these days to equate to "as long as you say the queers are going to hell, that qualifies you as a Christian." It has not been dumbed-down by PC'ness, or by the left, or any such force. The greatest threat to Christianity is those who devalue it by ignoring its central message and putting all their eggs into the gay basket. I know more gays who go to church regularly than I do heterosexuals. I'ts funny how more of us go to church than ever before, but that still isn't good enough for people of your intellectual persuasion (i.e., homophobic Christians).

As for the rest of you, I think the best thing is not to argue with Betsy. It only empowers her, and it's extending the length of a thread that I, and others, should not have bothered to give a moment's notice in the first place.

I shall leave this thread, and shake the dust from my feet. (See? I went to Sunday school too).

Edited by JamesHackerMP

11 hours ago, betsy said:

Matthew 19

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’[b]? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

If marriage is for everyone other than a union between a man and a woman -  why is gender specifically stated? 

I think it's very sad that you completely miss the point of what Jesus was saying here.  He was not addressing the issue of homosexuality, nor identifying or classifying the sexes.  No matter how you try to twist the above words - homosexuality was not what was being discussed here, nor was that the main point of Jesus' comments.  Your giant red lettering is not emphasizing the main point Jesus was making and also does not prove your point that Jesus hates gays.

In fact, Jesus said nothing about homosexuality and neither should those who profess to follow him.

No mental gymnastics, no fun with words, no inferring necessary.

Edited by Goddess

2 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Your evidence (bible passages above) show at most very weak support for your views. It mystifies me that Christianity has been dumbed-down these days to equate to "as long as you say the queers are going to hell, that qualifies you as a Christian." It has not been dumbed-down by PC'ness, or by the left, or any such force. The greatest threat to Christianity is those who devalue it by ignoring its central message and putting all their eggs into the gay basket.

Sure it  mystifies you.  Why?   Because.....you have gone deaf.....or in denial......or you have deliberately ignored what was being said......or, just like Goddess, you've got a real serious comprehension problem too.   You can't deal with it, because you don't like the arguments being given. 

Anyway, you're not making any sense.  What putting all eggs in the gay basket are you on about?  have I not equated the sin of homosexuality with the sin of adultery??  Is that one basket to you?  You've got problem counting too?  :lol:     Am I saying it's only homosexuality which is a sin?  Hello?

This is well past starting to get ridiculous. I don't know why I bothered to respond to this. It's not so much your homophobia masquerading as religion, it's that you try to shut down every argument against you.  This isn't a thread on a discussion board, it's a sermon. As I said, you should write a blog or something. I don't participate in one-way conversations (which, by definition, aren't conversations).

C'mon.  You can't deal with a straight discussion even if it hits you!  That's what I've been giving to you - but you keep dodging, and deflecting! 

Well, I don't want your bs.  If you can't discuss straight, it's good that you bow out and stop wasting our time.

Btw, I'm having a feeling of deja vu.  Haven't you said goodbye way back - and yet, here you are again?   You and Goddess seems to be like  identical twin peas in a pod.  You both go storming off, and suddenly you turn up like as if you haven't bid adieu.  

Don't blame the thread. 

The greatest threat to Christianity is those who devalue it by ignoring its central message and putting all their eggs into the gay basket. I know more gays who go to church regularly than I do heterosexuals. I'ts funny how more of us go to church than ever before, but that still isn't good enough for people of your intellectual persuasion (i.e., homophobic Christians).

And here it comes!    It never fails.  The liberals almost always, end up with name-calling.........

Bye now, James. 

Edited by betsy

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 5:59 PM, betsy said:

Sure it  mystifies you.  Why?   Because.....you have gone deaf.....or in denial......or you have deliberately ignored what was being said......or, just like Goddess, you've got a real serious comprehension problem too.   You can't deal with it, because you don't like the arguments being given. 

Anyway, you're not making any sense.  What putting all eggs in the gay basket are you on about?  have I not equated the sin of homosexuality with the sin of adultery??  Is that one basket to you?  You've got problem counting too?  :lol:     Am I saying it's only homosexuality which is a sin?  Hello?

C'mon.  You can't deal with a straight discussion even if it hits you!  That's what I've been giving to you - but you keep dodging, and deflecting! 

Well, I don't want your bs.  If you can't discuss straight, it's good that you bow out and stop wasting our time.

Btw, I'm having a feeling of deja vu.  Haven't you said goodbye way back - and yet, here you are again?   You and Goddess seems to be like  identical twin peas in a pod.  You both go storming off, and suddenly you turn up like as if you haven't bid adieu.  

Don't blame the thread. 

And here it comes!    It never fails.  The liberals almost always, end up with name-calling.........

Bye now, James. 

And Conservative Christians and their ilk have used God to justify everything from Prohibition and segregation to slavery.

Looking over the long history of people claiming to be speaking for God’s wishes, it quickly becomes evident that Christians are frequently on the wrong side of history.

16 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

And Conservative Christians and their ilk have used God to justify everything from Prohibition and segregation to slavery.

Looking over the long history of people claiming to be speaking for God’s wishes, it quickly becomes evident that Christians are frequently on the wrong side of history.

......And liberals have used health and well-being to justify everything.  "We know what's good for you......" seems to be their mantra!  Legislations galore that chip away at our freedom, is their fave past time.

Who determines what's the so-called "wrong" side of history?  How is it determined?  Of course, you've got to consider the intent behind it.

Anyway.....irrelevant.  The topic is about what the Bible says on homosexuality.

• 2 months later...

Upholding the teachings of Christ is one thing..........hating someone, is another.  

Unfortunately, some folks just can't get the difference between the two.....or simply refuse to acknowledge it.

Edited by betsy

2 hours ago, betsy said:

Upholding the teachings of Christ is one thing..........hating someone, is another.  

Unfortunately, some folks just can't get the difference between the two.....or simply refuse to acknowledge it.

You can personally uphold what you perceive as the teachings of Christ simply by  not acting on any homosexual feelings you may have.

When you deny rights to other people based on your own personal beliefs, you cross into the "hating someone" arena.

42 minutes ago, Goddess said:

You can personally uphold what you perceive as the teachings of Christ simply by  not acting on any homosexual feelings you may have.

Right on cue.......on the heels of Dialamah..........:lol:   You really remind me of an echo.....:P

Well........that's another ignorance on Christianity.   If we're supposed to spread the Gospel - we can't pick and choose  the message.  The purpose of spreading the Word  is for salvation of men - that they may have eternal life.  REPENTANCE is very much a part of it.

How can a Christian be mum on sins that are stipulated in the Scriptures?  What's the point of teaching, "have faith in Christ," when obedience goes hand in hand with having faith?

If we say, adultery is forbidden, it is a sin - does that mean we hate adulterers?   hello? 

If we try to warn a smoker, "smoking can get you cancer" - you equate that to hating smokers?  What kind of logic is that? 

People who don't believe in God....and who don't like the teachings of Christ, shouldn't be dictating how a Christian is supposed to practice his religion.  That's when we say....."mind your own business.  Create your own religion." 

When you deny rights to other people based on your own personal beliefs, you cross into the "hating someone" arena.

An opinion that results from ignorance............ or malicious interpretation.........or, comprehension issues.  If I think like you,  I'd say you guys hate Christians!   Or, religious people!  You're denying our rights to religious freedom, and expression.

It's government, right?  Rulers.   Leaders. 

Christians are supposed to choose leaders who have fear of God.    If you know the Old testament - and we know you don't -  you'd understand about that. 

Unfortunately, some folks not only can't get the difference.....but they spout off opinions that are based on ignorance - which renders them spouting off........... nonsense.

Edited by betsy

You will have to show me where Jesus said "If a person is gay, you must not do business with them in any way.  You must not serve them in your business, you must not rent or sell houses to them, you must work to legally deny them any human rights, and you must tell them constantly that they are going to burn in hell."

Show me that, Betsy.

To reiterate:

If you, personally, are against homosexuality then you definitely should not be a homosexual.

But you do not have the right to impose your beliefs on others or demand that they follow your beliefs in order to do business with you.  

If you, personally, believe the Bible is the unerring word of God, you are free to tell others that's what you believe and point out the pertinent Bible verses.

You do not have the right to make life miserable for others.

It's very sad that you think Jesus gave you personal authority to judge and condemn others.  It's very sad that you think Jesus gave you - personally - the authority to impose your beliefs on others. 

Muslim extremists think the same way as you do.  I see no difference between you and Muslim extremists.