Olympics PyeongChang 2018 - you are excited

RB

14 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Is there a professional hockey-league for women in North-America? In Finland and Sweden hockey is a hobby even for the national team players who all have their day-time jobs.

Yes, there are at least two (major) professional hockey leagues for women in NA....NWHL and CWHL .  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Women's_Hockey_League_(2015–)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Women's_Hockey_League

25 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Congratulations Monique Lamoureux-Morando and team USA. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like they outplayed and out shot team Canada and deserve their win.

Yeah. I'm not a Women's Hockey insider, but perhaps the "old guard" stuck around too long. Give some younger, faster players a shot. 

19 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Congratulations Monique Lamoureux-Morando and team USA. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like they outplayed and out shot team Canada and deserve their win.

100% agreed. People are arguing that the game shouldn't end in a shoot out but if that game kept going then the US would have won. They were all over the Canadians who in turn were making numerous mistakes in attempt to hold on.  

The only thing I questioned was why the coach put out their rookie defenseman for the powerplay at the end of the OT period considering she hadn't seen the ice since the second period! She looked terrible (which anyone would if you just sat for 25 plus minutes) and basically negated a good portion of the power play. Other than that I felt they lost to a better team.

Play-off games must be decided somehow, by shoot-out if necessary. Otherwise they could keep on playing until the next morning. However, they should bring back the possibility of tied matches in the preliminary groups instead of having these silly three point wins and two point wins.

4 hours ago, -TSS- said:

Play-off games must be decided somehow, by shoot-out if necessary. Otherwise they could keep on playing until the next morning. However, they should bring back the possibility of tied matches in the preliminary groups instead of having these silly three point wins and two point wins.

Are you suggesting that many non-deserving teams make it to the finals?

On 24 February, 2018 at 12:34 PM, -TSS- said:

Haven't they done away with tied matches even in the NHL? If the game is tied after 60 minutes then there is overtime and the loser gets one point?

In the regular season you get 5 minutes of 3-on-3 Overtime then a Shootout. Loser gets a point. 

In the playoffs it's literally 5 on 5 until someone scores. Games can go to double, triple, quadruple OT if no one scores. 

Basketball and Baseball also have a possibility for infinite OT. Though baseball, at lower levels, is flirting with the idea of making scoring easier in extra innings. 

Good Olympics for Canada. Can't feel too much pride about the record medal total because many where in new events. Ditto with the US. 

Then again, how is cross country skiing so much more relevant a sport then, say, Ski Cross. 

The Curling results were shocking. And the Gold they did win was, again, in a new event. 

The hockey results don't matter too much. The women's team looked old and the men's team wasn't the best that could be sent. 

Beating the US in the standing is nice. 

5 hours ago, Boges said:

Then again, how is cross country skiing so much more relevant a sport then, say, Ski Cross.

That gets back to a recent discussion (I think on here) about the Olympics in general and the changing of sports over time. Cross country skiing is one of the original winter Olympic sports. With so many different events in the current Olympics there certainly is an argument to be made to go back to basics.

Edited by ?Impact

19 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

That gets back to a recent discussion (I think on here) about the Olympics in general and the changing of sports over time. Cross country skiing is one of the original winter Olympic sports. With so many different events in the current Olympics there certainly is an argument to be made to go back to basics.

Why? These X-Game events are more entertaining cross country skiing for 50k. Or using the Ski Jump hill just to jump as far can instead of these Big Air competitions where they do tricks. 

There was a new event. Speed Skating Mass Start. Which was fascinating, it was essentially Sport-Track Speed Skating on the long track. 

Also, with the news cycle and people's access to watch the events, you need more Medal events to keep people interested. 

Edited by Boges

A good haul of medals for Canadians.  I watched the games and waved my flag.  I love the newer sports with the young people - in the spirit of the games, they are just happy to be their best, win or lose.  Next time we do better in hockey.