Does immigration reduce crime rates in Canada ?

Altai

On 10/9/2017 at 10:45 AM, Army Guy said:

No, and that's my bad for suggesting you did....how ever you did use those studies to counter argus comments., and my examples show a much different tune..

Your examples show nothing at all. It boggles the mind that any educated adult would use top x lists as evidence to make assertions about a large population. 

23 minutes ago, dre said:

Your examples show nothing at all. It boggles the mind that any educated adult would use top x lists as evidence to make assertions about a large population. 

The problem is how to curate a discussion that everyone can be engaged with - on some level - without insulting those who aren't qualified to take part. I would guess that a 'proxy' expert reflecting each side of the debate would do a good job, as long as the proxy didn't misrepresent facts/conclusions.

Actually at this point they are increasing crime. Ranging from beating a 75 year old woman almost to death sith multiple skull fractures, to an officer being stabbed in the face and 5 people being driven over and human trafficking (well over 200 have been arrested this year alone).

Have you not been reading the news or are you living in a bubble praying that it does not burst?

Get ready for the next wave of improperly screened persons in Canada:

"Intelligence report officials wrote that associates of Mexican crime groups such as the ultraviolent Sinaloa cartel were already turning up in Canada and said lifting the visa requirement would “facilitate travel to Canada by Mexicans with criminal records.”

Just 0.25 per cent of the 156,000 Mexican nationals who entered Canada between 2012 and 2015 were implicated in crime, but the reports said 29 were linked to organized criminal groups, another eight had “possible links” and “likely more” had not been identified."

Edited by seraphim
spelling

Sera, by your own evidence, a group of 156,000 individuals with just .25 % criminals brings down the rate.

I'm holding by my own assertion with that last post:

The problem is how to curate a discussion that everyone can be engaged with - on some level - without insulting those who aren't qualified to take part.

The poster doesn't understand how percentages work, and now that that has been pointed out to him/her will they concur ?  I hope to hear more.

Pretty dubious charts. 

You have one chart showing the last hundred-and fifty years,  and another one showing the last twenty years. 
And the immigration chart is all pretty even, from 1990 on, save for a small drop around 2000, when crime was relatively flat. 

Even if crime went down in the last twenty years, and immigration increased, it wouldn't demonstrate that there was a relationship. It could be because abortion rates increased over that time period. It could be that poverty decreased. There's lots of possibilities. 

Regardless, I think it is accepted that the poor are more likely to commit petty crimes, and immigrants are more likely than average to be poor when they first get here. However, the benefits that they bring with them (low-wage workers, influx of investment dollars, filling a shortage of certain skilled occupations) more than offsets that. 

The key to a successful immigration policy is:

1) Do not take on too many at any one time, so that the economy has time to absorb them. 
2) Discourage them from living in a concentrated area of one ethnicity, so that they assimilate better, and learn English/French faster. 
3) Be selective about what countries they come from. Look at historical data on crime/employment etc. 
4) Strike a good balance between refugees. skilled workers and unskilled workers. 
5) Make sure they like dogs of STFO.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, dialamah said:

There've been several studies demonstrating that when new immigrants move into an area, the crime rate in that area goes down.   These studies also notes that the second generation of immigrants trend closer to the non-immigrant rate of crime, but does not surpass it.  In other words, they commit crime at about the same rate as non-immigrants - this is part of becoming culturally integrated, I suppose.    

https://tinyurl.com/immlcrime

https://www.cifar.ca/assets/arrival-of-the-fittest-canadas-crime-rate-is-dropping-as-immigration-increases-is-there-a-connection/

Corrections Canada study of their inmate population.  Visible minority offender less likely to be involved in violent crime and less likely to reoffend than Caucasian offenders.  http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/research/r144-eng.shtml

A study out of Alberta, which focuses on risk factors and protective factors for immigrant youth crime also notes that immigrant youth are no more likely to commit crime than non-immigrant youth.  https://sites.ualberta.ca/~pcerii/WorkingPapers/WP0209.pdf

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, dre said:

My post was in answer to dialamah post above, show me how it is not relevant to any points he addresses

The RCMP most want list at the time of printing and past postings clearly demonstrates that immigrants do make up a large portion of the list, and if your making the national most wanted list, then normally it is a serious crime.....

He also says immigrants are less likely to be involved in violent crime, kind of hard to make the most wanted list if your non violent.....and less likely to reoffend did you see the charges these guys have already been charged with.....

I wont even go into the other lists I provided.....But it is hard to take Dialamah studies with a grain of salt when the most wanted list as published on that date and previous dates  is over 75% immigrants charged with serious crimes. when it should be filled with white faces.....

7 hours ago, Army Guy said:

But it is hard to take Dialamah studies with a grain of salt when the most wanted list as published on that date and previous dates  is over 75% immigrants charged with serious crimes. when it should be filled with white faces.....

Again... mind boggling. This is basic k-12 math... those lists represent a sample that is so small its completely useless to draw conclusions from. All you have shown is that you are not equipped to provide useful commentary on this issue. Even if those lists were 100% immigrants it would indicate nothing about the crime and immigrant population as a whole, and you should have known why in about Grade 9.

14 hours ago, dre said:

Again... mind boggling. This is basic k-12 math... those lists represent a sample that is so small its completely useless to draw conclusions from. All you have shown is that you are not equipped to provide useful commentary on this issue. Even if those lists were 100% immigrants it would indicate nothing about the crime and immigrant population as a whole, and you should have known why in about Grade 9.

It is mind boggling.....That you can be such an arrogant F* tard that you come across as....Those lists represent the worst of the worst of Canada's criminals, and in the segment I displayed most are from immigrant back grounds , in fact as I suggested , the list is produced every month, and every month for 2016/17 they are mostly immigrants what would that suggest to you....the Math genius ? , to the rest of us retards it would be cause to relook at those studies and ask why are there so many immigrants on the list to start with, is it because we don't like putting white guys on the list, or is it we just want immigrant s criminals off the street.....

And while they are NOT proof positive that all Canada's Immigrants make up a majority of our criminal population , they do suggest that the Immigrant population is not as rosy as it is being portrayed as....the fact that as Dialiamah's study suggests most Canadian bad guys are white , seems not to be the case when looking at these list of Canada's most wanted criminals and Canada's terrorists.

On 10/8/2017 at 11:10 AM, H10 said:

Nigeria has far lower crime rates than Canada, for a country of almost 200 million people they only have twice as many people incarcerated as all of Canada which has close to 40 million people.  Nigeria's crime rate is actually just a fraction of Canada's.

Have you ever been in Nigeria or tried to do any business there?

The crime rate is literally 100x what it is here.   There is so much criminal activity (particularly fraud) that it is simply tolerated, not prosecuted.  We spent one Christmas getting our agent released from kidnapping.  It was reported to the police (obviously) and absolutely nobody was charged with any crime - thus one more statistic that never happened.  It is literally impossible to find a government official who is not on the take - or skimming in BIG TIME.  Almost every Nigerian I have met in Canada and US simply continue to maintain their criminal associations at home and look constantly for opportunity to scam over here.

On 10/29/2017 at 11:57 AM, cannuck said:

Have you ever been in Nigeria or tried to do any business there?

The crime rate is literally 100x what it is here.   There is so much criminal activity (particularly fraud) that it is simply tolerated, not prosecuted.  We spent one Christmas getting our agent released from kidnapping.  It was reported to the police (obviously) and absolutely nobody was charged with any crime - thus one more statistic that never happened.  It is literally impossible to find a government official who is not on the take - or skimming in BIG TIME.  Almost every Nigerian I have met in Canada and US simply continue to maintain their criminal associations at home and look constantly for opportunity to scam over here.

Have you ever been to Nigeria, never mind, w eknow you haven't.  Nigeria has a very low crime rate.  The irony is that CTV news ran an entire documentary on how Canada was the center of fraud for the entire world because of how soft on crime our laws are.

Have you seen the inquiry on murdered and missing aboriginal women in Canada?  How many times the police refuse to even investigate, have you ever been a victim of crime in Canada, and seen how useless our police are in catching criminals and how our injustice system lets the criminals walk free.  Yeah and you think Canadian politicans are honest, I will remember this the next time you bad mouth trudeau and morneau.  Maybe the reason you keep encountering criminals is because you run with a shady crowd.