Virtue Signalling

Argus

The funny thing about Catherine McKenna's outrage that Erin O'toole called her NAFTA climate change demand virtue signalling is how clearly and obviously true it is, and how she reinforced that in her snarly reply.

O'Toole said that Liberal demands to include requirements on climate change in the negotiations on renewing NAFTA were nothing more than virtue signalling, and that the Liberals certainly knew there was between zero and less than zero change the Trump administration would accept that. McKenna replied - in French, in a facebook posting.

O'Toole is not, as you probably know, French, nor was his talk in French or in Quebec. McKenna is also not French. So why write her Facebook post in French if not as one more virtue signal, this time to Francophones? And her statement "We will continue to stand up for Canadian values at home and abroad"? If that isn't virtue signalling, what is? And it's nonsense in that the Liberals are not standing up for Canadian values at all since they will clearly drop this demand after they've 'signaled' their virtue to Canadian voter segments. Anyone with more than half a brain can see that. It's just like their earlier demand that the US end 'right to work' laws, which are state based anti-union laws. That's another absurd demand that has less than zero chance of ever going into NAFTA. But it will make their union allies happy, even though, of course, they'll drop it to get an agreement. 

And, of course, their  demand to end 'unfair tax loopholes' for small businesses, including doctors, is more virtue signalling. It's about their portraying themselves as the defenders of the middle class against the evil 'rich', who 'aren't paying their fair share' which apparently includes all doctors, dentists and other small business. Even calling it a tax loophole is a sign that this is only being done as part of their class warfare efforts.

One of the more tiresome aspects about these all style, no substance Liberals is their self-righteous indignation when it's pointed out to them that they and their emperor have no clothes.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/mckenna-says-she-is-done-with-ridiculous-tory-language-on-environment

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Argus said:

The funny thing about Catherine McKenna's outrage that Erin O'toole called her NAFTA climate change demand virtue signalling is how clearly and obviously true it is, and how she reinforced that in her snarly reply.

That sentence is very difficult to read correctly the first time through.  Maybe you can explain what 'virtue signalling' is ?

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

That sentence is very difficult to read correctly the first time through.  Maybe you can explain what 'virtue signalling' is ?

I'm fairly sure you know what it means. It's not like the words aren't easily understood.

"Virtue Signalling refers to the public expression of an opinion on a given topic primarily for the purpose of displaying one’s moral superiority before a large audience to solicit their approval."

Edited by Argus

Just now, Argus said:

1. I'm fairly sure you know what it means. It's not like the words aren't easily understood.

2. Virtue Signalling refers to the public expression of an opinion on a given topic primarily for the purpose of displaying one’s moral superiority before a large audience to solicit their approval.

1. Still think I lie to you, hmm ?

2. So it's just politics, and long-time liberal politics at that.  

What I think about this is that this is one of the more tiresome aspects about them: all style, no substance. And their self-righteous indignation when it's pointed out to them that they and their emperor have no clothes.

55 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

had no trouble with it, pretty self-explanatory.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

And her statement "We will continue to stand up for Canadian values at home and abroad"? If that isn't virtue signalling, what is?

Oh come on, Justin and the Liberals are the real deal...  just ask him.

56f370f3-2a9c-40ba-b83f-cfacc0442675.jpg

1 hour ago, Argus said:

And, of course, they're demand to end 'unfair tax loopholes' for small businesses, including doctors, is more virtue signalling. It's about their portraying themselves as the defenders of the middle class against the evil 'rich', who 'aren't paying their fair share' which apparently includes all doctors, dentists and other small business. Even calling it a tax loophole is a sign that this is only being done as part of their class warfare efforts.

The irony here is that many of the evil tax dodgers he's condemning are middle-class business owners just trying to make a living, who pay corporate taxes, then personal income taxes on any income they pay themselves, in addition to double CPP.  These people typically have no pension and no benefits.  Is he fighting for these middle class Canadians or against them??

It's pretty rich (no pun intended) watching Trudeau and Morneau portray themselves as leaders who truly and deeply connect with the middle class when it's obvious they have no clue and never have.

Edited by Spiderfish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Argus said:

The funny thing about Catherine McKenna's outrage that Erin O'toole called her NAFTA climate change demand virtue signalling is how clearly and obviously true it is,

It's hard to take an MP being sued by several groups for failing to do their job seriously. 

It's even harder when she uses extortion methods against an entire province ttying to reach her portfolio's agenda.

Such is life in the Trudeau era. Nice foot stomp lady.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

You think we shouldn't be talking about politics in the Canadian politics forum?

Where did I say that ?  You really see things that aren't in my posts.  I'm just saying this type of behaviour is as remarkable as hens laying eggs.  Nothing wrong, though, with pointing out a hen and saying "Look at that hen !  It is laying... an EGG."

28 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Where did I say that ?  You really see things that aren't in my posts.  I'm just saying this type of behaviour is as remarkable as hens laying eggs.  Nothing wrong, though, with pointing out a hen and saying "Look at that hen !  It is laying... an EGG."

Isn't pointing out the hypocrisy and dishonesty of politicians something people do with fair regularity? Yes, that's what I was doing.

On the other hand, it's a bit like catching Republicans, who wrap themselves in the bible and family values, playing footsie with gay guys in public toilets, you know. I mean, if you set yourself up as the virtuous one, full of self-righteousness you have a lot to live up to - or down to, as in most cases. And no one is more proud of their virtue and righteousness than the federal Liberals. In style if not substance.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

Isn't pointing out the hypocrisy and dishonesty of politicians something people do with fair regularity? Yes, that's what I was doing.

Yes, and don't stop on my account.

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

On the other hand, it's a bit like catching Republicans, who wrap themselves in the bible and family values, playing footsie with gay guys in public toilets, you know.

Exactly.  I endeavour to stay away from those obvious topics also.

6 minutes ago, Argus said:

I mean, if you set yourself up as the virtuous one, full of self-righteousness you have a lot to live up to - or down to, as in most cases.

This is why I can't abide by the Liberals.  The cynicism is stultifying.  Once in a blue moon, you get a Liberal PM who sees the potential in holding the centre, and having popular support.  And they do things.  More often, you get 'virtue signaling' (yes thanks for teaching that one) and image management.  Once the deficit between the image and the reality sets in, they change goalies and the game continues as before.

----

Now some optimism.  Trudeau and Trump are more similar than people realize, and that includes their potential.  Both of them have time to make changes, and now is a great time to make changes and cash in politically.  The content of those changes, of course, is vastly different for both.

7 hours ago, Argus said:

Well of course it's virtue signalling, this governments entire political strategy involves pandering to the right groups with empty emotional talk.  It works very well with the same sort that thinks the PM is pretty to look at, these aren't deep people, and you don't have to work to hard to convince them that our virtuous liberal government is fighting the good fight against those mean old Americans, it's pretty tired and boring stuff.

18 minutes ago, hot enough said:

A wee bit touchy, aren't we? Does it hit close to home? What's your favorite move, the Republican toe shuffle? 

Not at all....my bot reports any and all attempts to explain Canadian political discourse with the usual neurotic references to Americans...of any stripe.

It's a Canadian value.

11 hours ago, Argus said:

"Virtue Signalling refers to the public expression of an opinion on a given topic primarily for the purpose of displaying one’s moral superiority before a large audience to solicit their approval."

Also, the context in which the term "virtue signalling" is used is usually someone loudly proclaiming their liberal/progressive values to try to win approval from the presumed left-leaning listeners. For example, a white guy at a party with a bunch of people of varying races and genders lamenting the evils of "white privilege" is typical virtue signaling (and perhaps humble bragging at the same time). I've seen it many times first hand. Get your typical Seattle dudes that don't give a damn about anything in a room with some girls and suddenly they are all about environmental activism, opposing institutional racism, breaking down gender barriers, and the like. 

13 hours ago, Argus said:

O'Toole said that Liberal demands to include requirements on climate change in the negotiations on renewing NAFTA were nothing more than virtue signalling, and that the Liberals certainly knew there was between zero and less than zero change the Trump administration would accept that. McKenna replied - in French, in a facebook posting.

O'Toole is not, as you probably know, French, nor was his talk in French or in Quebec. McKenna is also not French. So why write her Facebook post in French if not as one more virtue signal, this time to Francophones? And her statement "We will continue to stand up for Canadian values at home and abroad"? If that isn't virtue signalling, what is? And it's nonsense in that the Liberals are not standing up for Canadian values at all since they will clearly drop this demand after they've 'signaled' their virtue to Canadian voter segments. Anyone with more than half a brain can see that. It's just like their earlier demand that the US end 'right to work' laws, which are state based anti-union laws. That's another absurd demand that has less than zero chance of ever going into NAFTA. But it will make their union allies happy, even though, of course, they'll drop it to get an agreement. 

And, of course, their  demand to end 'unfair tax loopholes' for small businesses, including doctors, is more virtue signalling. It's about their portraying themselves as the defenders of the middle class against the evil 'rich', who 'aren't paying their fair share' which apparently includes all doctors, dentists and other small business. Even calling it a tax loophole is a sign that this is only being done as part of their class warfare efforts.

One of the more tiresome aspects about these all style, no substance Liberals is their self-righteous indignation when it's pointed out to them that they and their emperor have no clothes.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/mckenna-says-she-is-done-with-ridiculous-tory-language-on-environment

13 hours ago, Argus said:

I'm fairly sure you know what it means. It's not like the words aren't easily understood.

Argus, if you want to speak about how the leaders/members of the federal Liberals "virtue-signal", start a thread.

If you want to discuss "virtue-signals" in general, I suggest to moderators that we move the thread.