Tone Deaf Pepsi ad

Boges

17 minutes ago, Boges said:

Dude it's pop culture. The second link I provided was from the UK. 

And I don't think this ad is actually helping Pepsi. 

Nevertheless, an American soft drink manufacturer is getting lots of publicity, good or bad....free!

Literally....American pop culture !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nevertheless, an American soft drink manufacturer is getting lots of publicity, good or bad....free!

American pop culture !

It's LOL how you always take credit on this site for everything done in the US. 

I'm surprised your not taking credit that my favourites sports team is a Football team in South Florida. 

6 minutes ago, Boges said:

Such as? 

You sell carbonated sugar water! No one has a cooler of Pepsi at a Protest! Kendall Jenner has probably never had a Pepsi in her life. AND! if you're trying, for whatever reason, to appeal to the professional protestor crowd don't have your main character give the imposing policeman a Pepsi. This ad manages to annoy everyone.

How many people get fired over this?

How about the common knowledge that celebrities often peddle things they don't ever intend on using.

There you go again, Duuuude!

Commie duuude! 

Just now, hot enough said:

There you go again, Duuuude!

Commie duuude! 

Please clarify how those are right wing talking points?

You have an obvious Trump supporting American poster preaching free market here, essentially agreeing with your opinion.

So I'm not sure this debate fits in the Red Team Blue Team narrative you're constantly looking for. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

It's LOL how you always take credit on this site for everything done in the US. 

I'm surprised your not taking credit that my favourites sports team is a Football team in South Florida. 

Dude, Canadians famously gorge themselves on American culture.

Numerous Canadian authors have bemoaned as much long before my mocking posts.

Oh dear...what will PepsiCo do...stand by their advertising strategy for young people compared to boomer dinosaurs that drink Coca-Cola, or relent under the withering attacks from social media brainiacs ?

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Dude, Canadians famously gorge themselves on American culture.

Numerous Canadian authors have bemoaned as much long before my mocking posts.

Oh dear...what will PepsiCo do...stand by their advertising strategy for young people compared to boomer dinosaurs that drink Coca-Cola, or relent under the withering attacks from social media brainiacs ?

You really think any young person really identifies with Soda? 

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canadians famously gorge themselves on American culture.

Yeah right, American "culture" - football, baseball, brain dead car racing, crass nonsensical movies, war and war crimes propaganda, various and sundry filth, sort of like gorging on the culture of Sodom and Gomorrah. 

Just now, Boges said:

You really think any young person really identifies with Soda? 

I'm sure some do...PepsiCo has spent millions presuming as much.   

Pepsi and Mountain Dew are marketed to a younger demographic...even in ....Canada.

Soft drink sales are down, so advertising to the rescue !

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I'm sure some do...PepsiCo has spent millions presuming as much.   

Pepsi and Mountain Dew are marketed to a younger demographic...even in ....Canada.

Soft drink sales are down, so advertising to the rescue !

The irony of the other brands is no one really knows who owns what. So it really isn't about Pepsi v Coke regarding advertising. 

Ever order a Sprite at a restaurant and they ask if it's OK to have a 7-Up because they don't carry Sprite because of who sponsors their Soda. 

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

The irony of the other brands is no one really knows who owns what. So it really isn't about Pepsi v Coke regarding advertising. 

Ever order a Sprite at a restaurant and they ask if it's OK to have a 7-Up because they don't carry Sprite because of who sponsors their Soda. 

No....old people like me are very familiar with which products are available from each bottling company.

Cola...cherry cola...lemon lime...orange...etc. all have associated companies reinforced by...advertising.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

No....old people like me are very familiar with which products are available from each bottling company.

Cola...cherry cola...lemon line...orange...etc. all have associated companies reinforced by...advertising.

And you're not being marketed to here. 

Who owns Fanta? Cuz I always order Fanta. 

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

And Boges and DoP are offended. Telling isn't it?

Just because you're always offended doesn't mean I am. Pepsi can make any commercial it likes. Coca Cola still apparently reads No Mohammad No Mecca if you hold your chin the correct way...as offended Muslims do...always the victim.

36 minutes ago, Boges said:

Such as? 

How about the common knowledge that celebrities often peddle things they don't ever intend on using for the money. It's only especially galling when they peddle it with some sort of murky message about civil disobedience. 

I wonder why they didn't use a Black model to give the cop a Pepsi.  

Ah, I get it. You're offended because you disapprove of protesting and this ad does not reaffirm your disapproval.

4 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

Ah, I get it. You're offended because you disapprove of protesting and this ad does not reaffirm your disapproval.

Again I'm not offended. Pepsi can do what it wants. I won't boycott or write an outraged social media post. 

Just putting forward commentary about bad marketing. Or at least debating if it is or not. And if you search other people's commentary about this ad, the disapproval isn't coming from the Right. 

I guess because I come from the right side of the political spectrum, all my opinions come from that team. Which is hilariously simplistic. Sort of like this ad. 

Edited by Boges

1 minute ago, Boges said:

Again I'm not offended. Pepsi can do what it wants. I won't boycott or write a bad letter. 

You're not offended but you felt compelled to create a thread about how "tone deaf" the ad is, so I guess it must have triggered some reaction in you that is similar to offence. That reaction, I deduce, is derived from the fact that it depicts protesters without explicitly stating they do not condone such behaviour?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

You're not offended but you felt compelled to create a thread about how "tone deaf" the ad is, so I guess it must have triggered some reaction in you that is similar to offence. That reaction, I deduce, is derived from the fact that it depicts protesters without explicitly stating they do not condone such behaviour?

Well it's in the news. I heard about it on 2 of the radio shows I listen to. It's not like I saw the ad on TV and felt compelled to start a thread. I saw the commentary about it and felt compelled to start a thread because I thought it was debatable. 

My opinion is that a big company trying to capitalize on something like civil disobedience is misguided. Not outrageous, just dumb. And completely transparent what they're trying to do. You even have the photographer with a Hijab who's outraged at something but is comforted by a millionaire model giving a cop a soda.

Edited by Boges

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

...My opinion is that a big company trying to capitalize on something like civil disobedience is misguided. Not outrageous, just dumb. And completely transparent what they're trying to do. You even have the photographer with a Hijab who's outraged at something but is comforted by a millionaire model giving a cop a soda.

That's fine, but many other advertisers were praised for going "social" for Super Bowl ads after Trump became president.

Coca-Cola has one of the greatest television ads ever made based on giving someone a Coke: