Tone Deaf Pepsi ad

Boges

It's shocking how such a large company can invest such large amounts of money to put forward such a Tone Deaf piece of advertising.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/05/kendall-jenners-pepsi-ad-causes-twitter-storm-labeled-disrespectful.html

An advert for Pepsi featuring model Kendall Jenner handing a can of soda to a police officer at a peace protest has sparked a backlash online.

In the ad, Jenner is seen posing in a blonde wig at a photo shoot, while a peace protest marches by. She then ditches the wig, grabs a can of Pepsi and joins the protest. Jenner gets to the front and hands the can to a police officer, who drinks as the crowd cheers.

The description below the ad on Pepsi's Global YouTube channel states: "A short film about the moments when we decide to let go, choose to act, follow our passion and nothing holds us back."

https://youtu.be/DSSCjj8uCFg

You sell carbonated sugar water! No one has a cooler of Pepsi at a Protest! Kendall Jenner has probably never had a Pepsi in her life. AND! if you're trying, for whatever reason, to appeal to the professional protestor crowd don't have your main character give the imposing policeman a Pepsi. This ad manages to annoy everyone.

How many people get fired over this? 

Edited by Boges

Gee, an ad that shows, "we aren't your enemy, we are just citizens like you". And you are folks just like us, sick of all the lies of these right wing governments. We know you have jobs and families you need to protect or you would be marching with us."

And Boges and DoP are offended. Telling isn't it?

5 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Gee, an ad that shows, "we aren't your enemy, we are just citizens like you". And you are folks just like us, sick of all the lies of these right wing governments. We know you have jobs and families you need to protect or you would be marching with us."

And Boges and DoP are offended. Telling isn't it?

By selling an unhealthy beverage? 

And Kendall Jenner with all her wealth is nothing "like you". 

The ad says, "we are sick of all the lies but in these times to speak out directly in addressing the deep evil is seen as an attack on the whole country, which is a lie, the BIG lie that has been perpetrated by the right, conservatives. Time to bring back honesty, time to hold these criminals to account." 

Here's an explanation of why this ad is controversial. 

And it's not coming from the Alt-Right crowd. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/kendall-jenner-pepsi-advert-backlash-police-officer-model-can-protest-a7667251.html

The commercial is being criticised by people who have interpreted it as a co-opt of the resistance movement whilst featuring a privileged, white, famous young model using a drink sold by a massive conglomerate to create peace between activists and law enforcement.  

Again I'll say I'm not offended, just want to have a discussion about why the ad is so stupid. 

Edited by Boges

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

Now who's going off on a tangent?

Address the criticism I cited of the ad. 

Don't worry. I don't think they're "co-opting" the resistance movement. I think they're just trying to associate political depolarization with their unhealthy beverage, which may be a bad thing but it's actually quite delicious.

2 minutes ago, hot enough said:

That is silly. Not to mention hypocritical.

You, a conservative, a big free market guy are suggesting she should do this for free. 

I am addressing the issue - your stunning hypocrisy.

No, I'm stating Financial Gain is more of an incentive than the actual "message" the ad is conveying. 

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It works...Canadians are talking about an American soft drink commercial.

Also fought the CRTC to see American Super Bowl advertising, which includes PepsiCo.

Dude it's pop culture. The second link I provided was from the UK. 

And I don't think this ad is actually helping Pepsi. 

3 minutes ago, hot enough said:

Try common sense, instead of just repeating right wing talking points, Boges. 

Such as? 

How about the common knowledge that celebrities often peddle things they don't ever intend on using for the money. It's only especially galling when they peddle it with some sort of murky message about civil disobedience. 

I wonder why they didn't use a Black model to give the cop a Pepsi.  

Edited by Boges