Can You Be Good Without God?

betsy

This is about objective morality. 

To put it simply, when we say "objective," it means it's the standard.  Without a standard, morality becomes subjective - everyone can have their own idea of right or wrong.

Here is a very good illustration of objective morality.

Focus on the "love your neighbor as yourself" portion, Betsy,  ... and BCS. Decent humans see thru the hate and the strong desire for revenge - needless, totally unwarranted revenge - while haters, be they Christians, atheists or agnostics, can't. They get swept up in these things that are not only unchristian, they are inhuman. 

1 minute ago, hot enough said:

Focus on the "love your neighbor as yourself" portion, Betsy,  ... and BCS. Decent humans see thru the hate and the strong desire for revenge - needless, totally unwarranted revenge - while haters, be they Christians, atheists or agnostics, can't. They get swept up in these things that are not only unchristian, they are inhuman. 

Nobody loves their neighbour as themselves, but I tolerate mine, as long as they are quiet.

This is the god, this is the "morality" we choose to guide us in our actions. No wonder the world is in such a mess! 

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” 
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

I suppose no one wants to discuss this philosophical issue seriously.....and I'm in no mood to banter.

At least, that simple explanation (via cartoon) will be available as a reference whenever this issue comes up.  The explanation can't get any simpler than that.

Thanks folks. 

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, hot enough said:

This is the god, this is the "morality" we choose to guide us in our actions. No wonder the world is in such a mess! 

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” 

Well, what's the point in being a God if it doesn't come with perks, eh?

Just now, hot enough said:

So is the Queen. Sadly she isn't so kind, warm and generous to the people of the world. She's religious too, is she not?

Beats the hell out of me, she's not a relative. 

I liked her in "Red".

5 minutes ago, betsy said:

I suppose no one wants to discuss this philosophical issue.  At least, that simple explanation (via cartoon) will be available as reference whenever this issue comes up.  Thanks folks. 

Your video makes so many illogic assumptions that one can't possibly begin to discuss it, unless it is done as you would "discuss" it at evangelical church. "praise de lorde, he's the best, he's my savior, my misogynist lord, ... !

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I don't believe in God, and I'm good.  Question answered.

Next!

Question answered seems to imply you have no explanation or anything to back up your claim.   Just a bald claim.  The bible contradicts you.  It says all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  Therefore, in the sense of biblical truth, the claim I'm good cannot be valid.  The facts of history and reality prove that nobody is perfect.  Some might act better than others but all have their bad acts.  Wouldn't you agree?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Question answered seems to imply you have no explanation or anything to back up your claim.   Just a bald claim.  The bible contradicts you.  It says all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  Therefore, in the sense of biblical truth, the claim I'm good cannot be valid.  The facts of history and reality prove that nobody is perfect.  Some might act better than others but all have their bad acts.  Wouldn't you agree?

It doesn't matter if the Bible contradicts me, any more than if Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy or The Bridges of Madison County contradict me.  All are works of fiction and as such, have no say in whether or not I am good.

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

As usual, you're missing the point.

You even quoted Dawkins - :lol: priceless, what a doober -  didn't you see him quoted in that cartoon?  Do your realize what he said implies?  And you talk about mess? 

Edited by betsy

19 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

It doesn't matter if the Bible contradicts me, any more than if Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy or The Bridges of Madison County contradict me.  All are works of fiction and as such, have no say in whether or not I am good.

I'm baffled though.  It seems you're quick to be in every thread that talks about God.  And....you seem to protest and argue too much. 

We can say whatever we like but what comes out from our lips does not necessarily say how we feel inside.  A troubled soul....a prideful troubled soul.....aches to find relief.  But damn that foolish pride.

Edited by betsy

17 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Ahhh, but  Your claim the bible has no say is false because it has already spoken.  All you can say is you don't believe it.  But you can't say it has no say.

Edited by blackbird

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Ahhh, but  Your claim the bible has no say is false because it has already spoken.  All you can say is you don't believe it.  But you can't say it has no say.

I said it has no say in whether or not I am good.  It might regarding you. 

6 minutes ago, betsy said:

I'm baffled though.  It seems you're quick to be in every thread that talks about God.  And....you seem to protest and argue too much. 

We can say whatever we like but what comes out from our lips does not necessarily say how we feel inside.  A troubled soul....a prideful troubled soul.....aches to find relief.  But damn that foolish pride.

In one sense it's because the idea of a belief in the supernatural makes for enjoyable arguing, but where it really gets interesting is when the argument spreads to the assertion that  the religious beliefs of some should have influence over the behaviour of others.

6 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

In one sense it's because the idea of a belief in the supernatural makes for enjoyable arguing, but where it really gets interesting is when the argument spreads to the assertion that  the religious beliefs of some should have influence over the behaviour of others.

But you were not actually arguing or saying anything. 

It's more like you're just trolling....like somehow, seeing these threads about God bothers you in a way.  Like trying to shut down a thread before the discussion even gets started. 

There has to be something behind that senseless reaction, considering we're in a forum that's supposed to be for adults.

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

It's the certainty of believers that unbelievers are influenced whether they like it or not that makes these sorts of discussions interesting.

I choose to be good so whether there's a god or not is irrelevant. 

Don't we try to get the opposition to end up agreeing with us - no matter what the subject is?

Just now, eyeball said:

It's the certainty of believers that unbelievers are influenced whether they like it or not that makes these sorts of discussions interesting.

Just now, eyeball said:

I'm glad you choose to be good.  But the point I made earlier is that the bible says none are good.  It says All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  Do you accept the inspiration and authority of the bible?

11 minutes ago, betsy said:

But you were not actually arguing or saying anything. 

It's more like you're just trolling....like somehow, seeing these threads about God bothers you in a way.  Like trying to shut down a thread before the discussion even gets started. 

There has to be something behind that senseless reaction, considering we're in a forum that's supposed to be for adults.

Not at all.  For one thing, it's not senseless.  It makes perfect sense to me.  Belief in a supernatural being is senseless, in my opinion.  But a lot of people do, so then the argument becomes concerned with whether or not they have the right to dictate another's behaviour, or state whether or not that person is good.  Or anything else, for that matter.

I'm good, and I don't need religion, or the Bible, to tell me so.  Both are irrelevant to everyone and everything, except to those who believe.

Edited by bcsapper