Calgary Bus Murderer Now Free

Rue

3 hours ago, GostHacked said:

Do you let them back out in the streets then?

Of course we do, especially when such an array of doctors and experts have prescribed it.

What's our stance if he does this again?

The doctors review their decision, learn from it, and move on.  I'd still trust their judgement 7 days a week and twice on Sunday , especially compared to anything any hard-boiled right-wing conservative prescribes.

Talking about sick puppies...an injection of lead to the head?

Why should our stance be any different to anyone who decides not to be healthy?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I have said it again and again we must bring back Capital punishment for violent crimes against women and children, cold blooded murderers (hearing God's voice my ass), and mass murderers/terrorists. There is a lot of things wrong with our system even in this one of the top democracies in the world. Very sad.

I take it you've never watched a loved one suffer the horror of hearing voices in their head either.  You should try it some time.  Don't forget to pay special attention to the stigma you also suffer as a result.  Really sharpens a person's sense of humanity and especially the lack thereof.

• Like 1

Just now, Omni said:

One of the things that is NOT wrong with it is we had the good sense to get rid of the death penalty long ago. A lot of countries that are not democracy's still have it.

Personally, I wish that Canada did have the death sentence for people who purposely goes out to kill someone. There is no reason as to why all murders should be exempt from capital punishment. So, if someone decides that they just want to go and kill one of your family members for fun or for some other reason you would be quite happy with them going to jail rather than pay the ultimate price for their crime? Common sense and logic tells me that if one goes out to commit murder than they should pay the price for it.   

1 minute ago, taxme said:

Personally, I wish that Canada did have the death sentence for people who purposely goes out to kill someone. There is no reason as to why all murders should be exempt from capital punishment. So, if someone decides that they just want to go and kill one of your family members for fun or for some other reason you would be quite happy with them going to jail rather than pay the ultimate price for their crime? Common sense and logic tells me that if one goes out to commit murder than they should pay the price for it.   

Killing a killer is still killing. DNA testing in the US showed that there were numbers of people on death row who were innocent. How many did they kill before DNA testing was available I wonder?

27 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

It doesn't matter how mentally ill this person is.  The only thing that matters is that he never gets the chance to do it again.  By definitiion, the possibility exists.  So he should be kept secure for the rest of his life.  It should be in a hospital environment, not a prison environment, but there should be no question of him ever being released.

Fortunately its what his doctors and experts on the subject, not to mention the law, says that matters most in the end.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

It's good to see that the law as it pertains to mental illness is still trumped by medical experts.

Patients belong where their doctors prescribe, not where politicians or the mob they often cater too want.

Maybe the doctor should prescribe him to move next to your house. Be interesting to hear what kinda song you'd be singing then.

11 minutes ago, Omni said:

Killing a killer is still killing. DNA testing in the US showed that there were numbers of people on death row who were innocent. How many did they kill before DNA testing was available I wonder?

Today we now have DNA testing. So, what is your problem? No one needs to be charged and convicted of a crime and sent to jail today if a DNA test is done on them. Times have changed. No need to worry about killers going out and killing someone for fun or for some other reason. You want to take someone else's life, than be prepared to lose your life. Common sense and logic. 

13 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Fortunately its what his doctors and experts on the subject, not to mention the law, says that matters most in the end.

We all know that doctors and so-called experts have screwed up on many things in the past also. The law needs an over haul. It's all about public safety not the safety of the convicted. 

11 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Maybe the doctor should prescribe him to move next to your house. Be interesting to hear what kinda song you'd be singing then.

No way would eyeball want that to happen. Easy to talk, not to listen. 

4 minutes ago, taxme said:

Today we now have DNA testing. So, what is your problem? No one needs to be charged and convicted of a crime and sent to jail today if a DNA test is done on them. Times have changed. No need to worry about killers going out and killing someone for fun or for some other reason. You want to take someone else's life, than be prepared to lose your life. Common sense and logic. 

Then of course there are the situations where DNA has no bearing but the accused hasn't the money to hire a competent lawyer. 

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Better him than the likes of you.

Well the next time a guy like him does something like what he did, and then is released, well why not be a nice person and invite them over to your house for dinner. Just better not pizz him off. :D

Just now, taxme said:

Looking for excuses, are we?  

Looking to not have innocent people put to death. And then of course there is the huge costs incurred by the state by the time the appeals are exhausted. Much more effective use of tax dollars is professional evaluations and review boards.

11 minutes ago, taxme said:

Well the next time a guy like him does something like what he did, and then is released, well why not be a nice person and invite them over to your house for dinner. Just better not pizz him off. :D

Make sure he's well fed. Also, that he's been taking his meds, that's for damned sure. I hope they got somebody routinely checking on the insane, murderous bastard.

9 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Fortunately for him, sure. Still wrong. 

Not according to his doctors. Fittingly for all of us.

I think there'd probably be a lot more mental illness in the world if the law trumped medicine.

It would made living in a world where public fear is increasingly trumping human rights even worse.

• Like 2

Just now, eyeball said:

Not according to his doctors. Fittingly for all of us.

I think there'd probably be a lot more mental illness in the world if the law trumped medicine.

It would made living in a world where public fear is increasingly trumping human rights even worse.

No it wouldn't. It would just ensure that the criminally insane were kept in a place where they could do no more harm.  To speak of public fear in a way such as to imply it is irrational is to pretend ignorance of what Mr. Li did.  

1 hour ago, Omni said:

One of the things that is NOT wrong with it is we had the good sense to get rid of the death penalty long ago. A lot of countries that are not democracy's still have it.

So democracy means victims have no rights but the murderer/rapist dressed nicely in court gets the lawyer and the jury and the judge and a chance to walk away with all kinds of excuses (yeah God told me so) or technicalities or even when convicted  go on parole soon after and commit another murder/rape and take another victim?. I think then I prefer dictatorship :(

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

6 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

No it wouldn't. It would just ensure that the criminally insane were kept in a place where they could do no more harm.  To speak of public fear in a way such as to imply it is irrational is to pretend ignorance of what Mr. Li did.  

To speak about illness and crime in the same breath is to ignore the success of psychiatric treatment not to mention the stubbornness of medieval attitudes. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, eyeball said:

To speak about illness and crime in the same breath is to ignore the success of psychiatric treatment not to mention the stubbornness of medieval attitudes. 

Crime is crime. Chopping someone's head off and trying to eat it is a crime. It's hard to imagine someone sane doing it so it would be someone insane. 

To state that psychiatry can ensure this person won't succumb to his illness again is to believe in fairy tales and quackery. 

14 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

So democracy means victims have no rights but the murderer/rapist dressed nicely in court gets the lawyer and the jury and the judge and a chance to walk away with all kinds of excuses (yeah God told me so) or technicalities or even when convicted  go on parole soon after and commit another murder/rape and take another victim?. ' I think then I prefer dictatorship :(

What do we do if the dictator starts listening to the voices in his head?

You need to think stuff thru a little more.

• Like 1