Renaming landmarks - 'PC' nonsense or justified?

Just now, The_Squid said:

More gibberish.   You're saying that they didn't know what a native was back then?  

I lived through it. But, at some point I was deemed fit enough for regular Canadian public schools. Said the Lord's Prayer evvvvvery morning before class. Nobody gives me cash for that (gulp) travesty.

:lol:

Soooooo....what's a Native? A question for the ages. Ask Uncle Louie when he comes over...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

Probably the feeblest attempt at defection I have seen in a long while.

DoP's responses have nothing to do with the topic...   They don't even work as a deflection. ..  

"What's a real native"?

Ummmm....  ok....   

Many of these renamed landmarks are being given so-called "Native" names.

In one case I overheard, it was pointed-out that the Old Fort's name being given that of the Native village the sprung-up around it was bass-ackward thinking...everyone just laughed and renamed it anyways. History be damned! That's Cannnnnnaaaaaaadaaaa.

:lol:

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 1

On 2017-01-23 at 6:38 PM, bcsapper said:

Mandela Towers! 

They should call it whatever they want.

They'll change it again when they feel like it.

At least Churchill's bust is back in the White House.

Yup. Great Whale became Post de la Beleine became Kuujjuarapik. Wonder what its next name will be.

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

Great Whale/Post de la Baleine/Kuujjuarapik was such a place. It is largely Inuit populated now but it started off as an HBC post in 1820. The settlement grew around it.

Yes, the Inuit used to be largely nomadic but in the past century or so they began to settle in communities such as this one. The trading post was established there to trade with the local population.

On 2/17/2017 at 9:57 AM, The_Squid said:

It's in Alberta.  And Chinaman wasn't his name.  Chinaman is a derogatory term that was used as the name because Ha Ling was Chinese.  It was renamed to Ha Ling Peak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha_Ling_Peak

Do you think it should have kept the name "Chinaman"?  If a black person first climbed the mountain, do you think "Mt. Nigger" would have been an appropriate name?

ETA:  I don't think the term was used in a derogatory fashion at the time, but things change and using his real name kept the spirit and intent of why the mountain was named in the first place.

Well then what are we suppose to call people from China if not Chinaman? If they come from France we call them frenchmen or Englishman from Britain. Political correctness is stupid. 

• Like 1

Yesterday on the CBC they gave serious attention to the idiotic notion of renaming the Langevin Building to honor Louis Riel. This is an interesting aspect of progressive hypocrisy in that it seeks to hold Langevin to the standards of modern Canada while exempting Riel from the same standards. Langevin's beliefs in drawing natives into the Canadian mainstream was pretty much, well, mainstream back then. Why wouldn't they be? Canada was a country filled with people who had abandoned their old ways and homelands to embrace something new. Why shouldn't they expect natives to do the same?

Louis Riel, meanwhile, though progressives insist on calling him a 'father of confederation' led two violent armed revolts against Canada. He was a megalomaniac who thought he was a prophet of God and the pope ought to be reporting to him. He also executed a guy for disrespect, and 'to show Canada we mean business'. That strikes me as awfully similar to the kinds of things terrorists holding hostages have done in modern times. But Riel isn't to be held to modern standards of humanity and justice, because, I guess, those are only for White people.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Why shouldn't they expect natives to do the same?

This should be obvious....   but natives didn't abandon their homelands to embrace something new....  

I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

So where is the line drawn?  Does Germany name things after Hitler?  Of course not...  he was so bad that no one would ever think of doing that....

So Langevin was obviously no Hitler...   how awful do your actions have to be before we don't name things after you?

58 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

This should be obvious....   but natives didn't abandon their homelands to embrace something new....  

I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

So where is the line drawn?  Does Germany name things after Hitler?  Of course not...  he was so bad that no one would ever think of doing that....

So Langevin was obviously no Hitler...   how awful do your actions have to be before we don't name things after you?

Hitler's actions were an aberration even in his time. Langevin merely supported what was then the 'modern' thinking of how best to assimilate natives. You understand that he was a moderate, right? The harsher people were happy to just leave them out in the bushes as long as they did as they were told. It was the moderates of the day who wanted to improve their lives by, they thought, teaching them modern ways and bringing them into society. If you condemn him you condemn, basically, everyone from that era. And again, as I said, if you want to condemn people from a previous era under the morals of today then what do we say about Louis Riel?

32 minutes ago, Argus said:

If you condemn him you condemn, basically, everyone from that era.

I said I agree with you for the most part...  but then you come up with this.  Langevin thought of natives as less than people.  There were those who didn't think like that at all.  So, no...  if you condemn that way of thinking, you don't condemn everyone in the entire world in that era.  :rolleyes:

Lots of people thought like Hitler as well.  Henry Ford...  Some of the Royal family...  

1 minute ago, The_Squid said:

Why do you keep spouting gibberish in this thread?

Just because you're unfamiliar with the 1st Marine Division and how it relates to your comment = not my problem. Highlight First Marine Division with yon mouse and search google for it...easy-peesy. Perhaps you'll see the light...or not. But, you could also do a search for racism in the Pacific during WW2....just to give you a hint.

And speaking of renaming things: Mount Suribachi was Paipu-Yama on Japanese maps and 'Hot Rocks' on USMC maps. Suribachi means 'mortar'...as in mortar and pestle. The Grinding Bowl...pretty accurate. Sometimes renaming things works...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

I said I agree with you for the most part...  but then you come up with this.  Langevin thought of natives as less than people.  There were those who didn't think like that at all. 

If he thought of them as less than people why would he want them to be integrated into the Canadian mainstream? Why wouldn't he just be content to have them live out in the forest like animals? My understanding is that Langevin's attitude towards natives was pretty much the norm back then, and way milder than that of many others.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

If he thought of them as less than people why would he want them to be integrated into the Canadian mainstream? Why wouldn't he just be content to have them live out in the forest like animals? My understanding is that Langevin's attitude towards natives was pretty much the norm back then, and way milder than that of many others.

So native north Americans had to be "civilized". Yes it is milder than they must be exterminated, but less mild then they must be allowed to progress on their own.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

I don't disagree with you for the most part...    what happens when indigenous people find out some of their "heroes" also have skeletons...  Riel is a good example...   so where to draw the line...?

4 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

I don't disagree with you for the most part...    what happens when indigenous people find out some of their "heroes" also have skeletons...  Riel is a good example...   so where to draw the line...?

And you wonder why I ask 'what's a Native?'

I'm more Metis than Riel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Next-up: Let's rename the Hudson's Bay Company to something French.

We used to have the coureurs des bois which you can think of as entrepreneurs, and then they started to organize into small businesses and became the voyageurs. Along came the massive monied corporate enterprise and established the Hudson's Bay Company. Some of the voyageurs in Montreal tried to form a competitive corporation, the North West Company. Unfortunately during the war of 1812, the Americans burned down a major North West Company trading post and forced it into a leveraged buyout by the Hudson's Bay Company.

6 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

We used to have the coureurs des bois which you can think of as entrepreneurs, and then they started to organize into small businesses and became the voyageurs. Along came the massive monied corporate enterprise and established the Hudson's Bay Company. Some of the voyageurs in Montreal tried to form a competitive corporation, the North West Company. Unfortunately during the war of 1812, the Americans burned down a major North West Company trading post and forced it into a leveraged buyout by the Hudson's Bay Company.

M'en Revenant de la Jolie Rochelle...

I suppose certain re-brandings are good (Banzai!)...but others are pretty PC stupid. Thought-up by pinheads with too much time and self-loathing. Much of the 'Native stuff' falls into this category.

• Like 1