Renaming landmarks - 'PC' nonsense or justified?

9 hours ago, The_Squid said:

...how awful do your actions have to be before we don't name things after you?

This depends on so many factors like how much time it takes for feelings to pass or develop, for legal rulings and precedents to evolve or be overturned - and this can just as easily go the other way and the question is how long does one have to wait until things are being named after you?  I'd love to see my nephew attending Edward Snowdon High School someday for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -TSS- said:

I wonder who is the person after whom most buildings, rivers, lakes, cities or anything else have been named. My guess is Victoria.

...or Wellington, Churchill, Windsor, etc.

...or if we were American we might think Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Kennedy, or even Clinton

but I believe that San José (San Jose, Saint Joseph) would have us beat by a long shot

I don't think in China there would be a more common person to name things after because they tend to use subjects like 人民 (people), 文化 (culture), etc. when naming things rather than after a person.

India I believe use a lot of mythological characters when naming things so they might be ahead in that regard, but they are not actual people.

19 hours ago, ?Impact said:

So native north Americans had to be "civilized". Yes it is milder than they must be exterminated, but less mild then they must be allowed to progress on their own.

And what portion of society at that time felt natives should be allowed to 'progress on their own'? Who, aside from a few philosophers, would even think that in the 19th century?

13 hours ago, eyeball said:

This depends on so many factors like how much time it takes for feelings to pass or develop, for legal rulings and precedents to evolve or be overturned - and this can just as easily go the other way and the question is how long does one have to wait until things are being named after you?  I'd love to see my nephew attending Edward Snowdon High School someday for example.

Nah, your nephew is going to be studying Pizzeria location apps 101 in the Milo lab in the Barton wing of Donald Trump high school.

That's not to say Snowden won't be recognised somehow.  They'll probably rename Guantanamo after him.

Edit>  I should make it clear my post is not intended to insult your nephew.  Rather, his entire generation.

Edited by bcsapper

27 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Why? What did they do to deserve the hand-me down mess our generation's made of things?

That's no reason to become a generation of glow bathed lamppost denters.  We all put up with crap the previous generation did. 

If we subscribe to the notion of generations.  It's not like the human race stops for a while, and then gives it another shot. 

Plus, it was just an insult for the sake of it. No offence intended. 

Edited by bcsapper

Just now, bcsapper said:

That's no reason to become a generation of glow bathed lamppost denters.  

What exactly is a glow bathed lamppost denter?

We all put up with crap the previous generation did.

Most put up with way more than those who've benefited. 

If we subscribe to the notion of generations.  It's not like the human race stops for a while, and then gives it another shot.

Subscribing to a theory of races ignores the fact that most species don't get much more than a couple of shots.

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What exactly is a glow bathed lamppost denter?

They walk along the street, bathed in the glow from their IFriend, until they hit a lamppost. It's fun to watch. 

Edited by bcsapper