Yes, you can be racist against white people

52 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If it's racism, then racism is OK...freedom of expression is a protected right.   Words are not actions.

Freedom of expression is ok, but making racist remarks doesn't mean you are not a racist just because your speech is protected. Other are also protected in calling you a racist.

No words are not actions. Words may demonstrate you are a racist. Actions may demonstrate you are an arsonist, rapist, or murderer.

23 hours ago, ?Impact said:

From Statistics Canada I see we have about 450,000 international students in country, but not to worry only about 220,000 of them are singed in the current year as many are returning and I assume we don't have to screen them a second time. When you figure out the cost of screening immigrants, multiply it by 1.73 to account for students.

You are ok with Temporary Foreign Worker Program, International Mobility Program and Work Permit holder for other purposes participants, or should we screen them as well. Perhaps you should do some homework on Statistics Canada to see how many temporary foreigners we let into the country. You didn't explicitly state it so please clarify you are ok with tourists not going through your extensive screening.

If I was in charge I can assure you ninety percent of those foreign workers would be working in their own country. We also have too many foreign students, and I'd like to see that number lowered. But at least they can be booted out at the first sign of trouble.

Edited by Argus

34 minutes ago, Argus said:

We also have too many foreign students, and I'd like to see that number lowered.

Foreign students bring revenue to Canada, although yes they may take jobs away as well. I believe students can work on-campus or part time (20 hours/week) off campus, otherwise they need a work permit. It would be interest to know how many of those Mac jobs are foreign students. I believe if you are in a co-op program, you need to get a work permit but it is fairly easy in that case (subject to restrictions).

51 minutes ago, Argus said:

If I was in charge I can assure you ninety percent of those foreign workers would be working in their own country. We also have too many foreign students, and I'd like to see that number lowered. But at least they can be booted out at the first sign of trouble.

Like the Samsung workers who work for nothing on the solar deal,  which was made for 16,000 good paying jobs. 

17 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes it is...writers can espouse such expression through fiction/characters.   All speech is protected....in some countries.

So I can stand at a pulpit and tell my audience to kill whitey with no reprecuscions? 

edit- if I'm reading from a book using your logic. 

Edited by drummindiver

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

If it's racism, then racism is OK...freedom of expression is a protected right.   Words are not actions.

People have the right to be racists. And others have the right to call them what they are.

-k

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Right...so all is well.   Thanks for playing !

I think it's great that you can start off with a brain-fart like this:

23 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No...they are just anti-white rants on a Twitter account.    Freedom of expression is not racism.

...and walk away convinced that you've shown everyone how clever you are.  Good for you!

-k

Just now, kimmy said:

I think it's great that you can start off with a brain-fart like this:

...and walk away convinced that you've shown everyone how clever you are.  Good for you!

I know...right ?   OMG...RACISM !!!!    Oh wait....constitutional rights trump SJWs screaming "RACISM !!!!".   

People who right constitutions and rights are so clever that way.

People of colour can discriminate against whites and be just generally dickheads, but they cannot be racist towards whites in the United States nor Canada. Whites hold institutional and structural power here. There is no way for a white person in Canada nor the United States to experience the kind of racism that people of colour navigate daily with institutional and structural forces against them.

"Reverse racism" is a term that was made up by white supremacists to obfuscate the fact that whites hold institutional and structural power that has oppressed people of colour for generations and continues to do so today, even when individual actors themselves may not personally discriminate against people.

These are social facts that are clear from empirical data on everything from loans, to hiring practices, to renting apartments, to police use of force. Racism only exists when there's force behind it and an individual being an asshole is not the same thing as structural and institutional forces oppressing people.

Edited by cybercoma

7 hours ago, cybercoma said:

People of colour can discriminate against whites and be just generally dickheads, but they cannot be racist towards whites in the United States nor Canada. Whites hold institutional and structural power here. There is no way for a white person in Canada nor the United States to experience the kind of racism that people of colour navigate daily with institutional and structural forces against them.

Lots of racist ideas in this post....racist labels....racist stereotypes....racist denial.   Is "people of colour" the same as "visible minority" ?

7 hours ago, cybercoma said:

"Reverse racism" is a term that was made up by white supremacists to obfuscate the fact that whites hold institutional and structural power that has oppressed people of colour for generations and continues to do so today, even when individual actors themselves may not personally discriminate against people.

These are social facts that are clear from empirical data on everything from loans, to hiring practices, to renting apartments, to police use of force. Racism only exists when there's force behind it and an individual being an asshole is not the same thing as structural and institutional forces oppressing people.

That's your opinion, and the opinion of those you choose to believe, though, right?

Anyone who discriminates based on race is being racist.  Racism is discrimination based on race.

That kid that was beaten up in Chicago experienced racism.  That his attackers were being dickheads is also true, but at his level, his experience is no different from that of a black person being beaten up by white dickeads.  His bruises are not mended by some PhD at some Ivy League Universtity deciding that his experience was different.

Edited by bcsapper

10 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

...That kid that was beaten up in Chicago experienced racism.  That his attackers were being dickheads is also true, but at his level, his experience is no different from that of a black person being beaten up by white dickeads.  His bruises are not mended by some PhD at some Ivy League Universtity deciding that his experience was different.

Indeed....I guess only the "elites" can properly define "racism" !   

33 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

That's your opinion, and the opinion of those you choose to believe, though, right?

That's not my opinion. That is the pattern that emerges from the data and the explanation that accounts for those patterns and the history of our institutions and structures.

4 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

That's not my opinion. That is the pattern that emerges from the data and the explanation that accounts for those patterns and the history of our institutions and structures.

In some academics opinion of what the pattern means.  Like I said, the kid doesn't care about patterns.  That somehow the power structure at the level of a country can be applied to a parking lot in a certain neighbourhood in a certain town is just wrong.  Academics or not.

44 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Anyone who discriminates based on race is being racist.  Racism is discrimination based on race.

Actually, there are few racists these days. Technically racism is the belief in the genetic inferiority of a given race. It's not simply that you don't like them. Not liking them for one reason or another would be prejudice or bigotry. Perhaps I'm being pedantic but the way the Left, to say nothing of the far Left has corrupted the term makes me roll my eyes.

Basically, they've turned the word into an expression of colonialist oppressor/oppressed Marxist victimology. Under that definition, only Whites can be racists, and they're racists whenever they think or say anything disapproving of (to say nothing of taking any action against) any other ethnic, racial or religious group, regardless of reasoning or justification. In fact, even a white person denying they're racist is considered racist by these people.

The proper response is to laugh at them and move on.

Edited by Argus

24 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Indeed....I guess only the "elites" can properly define "racism" !   

Anybody can make up whatever garbage definitions they want, but when you're talking about social concepts then, yeah, those "elite" sociologists do have a profession around understanding society and social relationships. That doesn't stop people from believing whatever they hell they want. People even turn their noses up at those "elitist" doctors who push vaccines on their children.

2 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

Anybody can make up whatever garbage definitions they want, but when you're talking about social concepts then, yeah, those "elite" sociologists do have a profession around understanding society and social relationships. That doesn't stop people from believing whatever they hell they want. People even turn their noses up at those "elitist" doctors who push vaccines on their children.

And some people think vaccines are a great idea, and people who beat up someone because of his colour are racist. Go figure.