Brian Pallister to spend 6 - 8 weeks a year in Costa Rica

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/pallister-costa-rica-1.3902366

So, I supported this government in the election campaign (I was somewhat happy with the NDP, but it was time for a change).  I haven't been all that happy with this government since.  I feel like they aren't really doing much, other than trying not to spend money (important right now, I'll admit) and they cut infrastructure funding, which makes me unhappy.

All of that said, I see this as the worst kind of politics.  Democracy watch is up in arms about this, saying he needs to be more transparent with what he's doing there.  Who really cares?  Is the premier not entitled to his life?  Do things like the internet and telephones not work in Costa Rica?  

I see no reason that Pallister should be criticized for this.

A Premier should not be spending 1.5 months of the year in another country.  It's more than a full time job and this is shirking responsibility.   I can see a few days here and there, but while you're in office, you need to be at home working. 

If this was Trudeau or Wynne, CPC partisans here would be setting their hair on fire.  

3 hours ago, PIK said:

I have no problem, but others will.

Why don't you have the same rules for all politicians ?  Just the ones you like can take long vacations without your say so ?  I'm just asking here...

On 3/22/2016 at 0:26 PM, PIK said:

And we can add another 50g's to that for the bill we just received for a play on stand by when trudeau took a vacation.

44 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Why don't you have the same rules for all politicians ?  Just the ones you like can take long vacations without your say so ?  I'm just asking here...

I think you'll be pointing out that kind of hypocrisy for several members here....

22 minutes ago, Smallc said:

I think this is different because he owns a home there.  That's a large investment to just leave sit for four years (hopefully not more).

It was his choice to run to be PM.  He had to know going in that it's not exactly a part time gig. 

If he was going to be away 2 months a year, he shouldn't be eligible to be Premier.

Edited by The_Squid

2 minutes ago, Smallc said:

Actually, he was away about 4 months a year, before that.

And believe me, I'm not really a big fan of his - I just see this as a real non issue.  

I see it indicative of a really bad Premier.

He owns 2 companies in Costa Rica, and a vacation home.  If you want to manage a whole damn province you should live in the freaking province.  Go vacation on your own time.  "Since becoming PC party leader in 2012, he has been in Costa Rica 240 days."

I don't know anyone who spends 2 months out of the country unless they're retired.

The Premier says that he’s already created 15 jobs in the local gardening, housekeeping, cooking and massage therapy businesses, and knows he can do the same when he returns to Winnipeg once the weather warms up.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/12/premier-vacationing-costa-rica-says-hell-working-hard-tan-manitobans/

Well to be completely technical, I didn't vote either.  I was working the poll on advanced poll day, and didn't bother to vote elsewhere on a different day, as I planned to vote on election day....a day I ended up being asked to work a poll in a community not far from where I live - I never got the chance.

1 hour ago, The_Squid said:

It was his choice to run to be PM.  He had to know going in that it's not exactly a part time gig. 

If he was going to be away 2 months a year, he shouldn't be eligible to be Premier.

Agreed. Being premier is not like normal jobs. You don't get to spend two months off in another country on vacation.

18 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

Unless he was an NDP premier or other government worker. Then it would be tantamount to criminal fraud.

Last I heard, Pallister had missed almost no sitting days in the house. Compare that to Trudeau who has missed almost 70% of the votes. Should I be outraged?

Edited by Bryan