DNA Testing

My birthday present to myself this year was to get my DNA tested.

My results were 40% Eastern European (I knew about the Romanian/Czech background)

30% British/Irish (I knew about that, too)

Surprisingly, I also got 15% Scandinavian and 10% Italian/Greek.

I'm the only one in my family that seems to take after the Romanian/Czech side - dark, curly hair and 5'4".  The rest of my 5 siblings are tall (6 feet tall and over) and blond, straight hair.  So I wonder if their results would show the same but with varying percentages?  Like maybe they would get a higher percentage of Scandinavian, since they are all tall and blond.

The Scandinavian is where I get the ice blue eyes, I think.

Anyways, quite interesting!

Has anyone else done the DNA testing?

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

Are you sure these results are legit? I would like to know how they can differentiate between Eastern European, British, Scandinavian and Italian/ Greek at the DNA level.

I'm not an expert, but what I understand is that they use what are called "markers", mutations in the DNA that occurred at certain times in history.    If you have certain markers, that indicates what "line" you descended from.    Goddess's close relatives would have the same markers; more distant relatives would have different markers suggesting a common ancestor prior to that specific DNA mutation.

44 minutes ago, Goddess said:

So I wonder if their results would show the same but with varying percentages?

Your siblings would show the same markers (%),  as they come from the exact same lineage as you do.  (assuming you all have the same parents, of course)

Great present to yourself!  Is this the National Geographic DNA testing?

Edited by The_Squid

Yes. 

I'm glad I did it. It confirmed some things I already knew from my grandmother.  My American grandfather used to tell me that I was living proof "there was a ni##er in every family's woodpile" as I'm the only one with dark curly hair. Looks like he was wrong. Not that having black genes would be bad, I tell myself I took the best of each nationality, LOL

And my grandfather's prejudice died with him.

45 minutes ago, dialamah said:

I'm not an expert, but what I understand is that they use what are called "markers", mutations in the DNA that occurred at certain times in history.    If you have certain markers, that indicates what "line" you descended from.    Goddess's close relatives would have the same markers; more distant relatives would have different markers suggesting a common ancestor prior to that specific DNA mutation.

That's my understanding too.

Apparently some testing covers more recent genealogy and some goes back further. 

My results match pretty much what my recent genealogy is, from what I was told from grandparents so I'm guessing it's pretty accurate.