Flag burning

1 minute ago, Bonam said:

So then do you now agree that the people who would react violently to someone peacefully burning a flag are "bad people"? Rather than sympathizing with such action as you previously mentioned?

Perhaps. Provoking is a step further than presenting though. Either way, an illegal act is an illegal act. It wouldn't make it a good thing. But people who provoke should not feign surprise when the bear they poke actually attacks.

If you do what you can to avoid an issue and it blindsides you, that is completely different than running right up to it. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Totally cool? No. But if I do it right in front of a Mosque that is just letting out, and they attack me, that is MY fault. I put myself in that position and incited a situation that otherwise would not have happened.

I get what you're saying, but there's no excuse for violence, EVER, unless in self-defense from other violence.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Lets say you step off a curb and get hit by anything, and maybe you do survive. Perhaps the cross walk lights were on, and the cars were supposed to stop. Legally the driver that hits you is in the wrong, but you are still the one that stepped in front of a moving car. You still caused a collision to happen that would not have otherwise occurred.

That's my point. I do see that  being in the right doesn't automatically confer immunity. 

9 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I get what you're saying, but there's no excuse for violence, EVER, unless in self-defense from other violence.

Of course there is an excuse. Just because you have rights doesn't mean your actions don't have consequences. There are plenty of situations where assaulting someone else is an appropriate response. 

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

That's my point. I do see that  being in the right doesn't automatically confer immunity. 

Then we are on the same page. ...or at least looking at books by the same author...

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Prosecuted, who knows.  I'd surely be called an anti-semite if I burned an Israeli flag though.

And you might be one....  being called bad names may be a consequence of your perfectly legal actions.  But being arrested by the state, or punched in the nose by Bryan, shouldn't be...

1 hour ago, cybercoma said:

Do people really give a shit about burning flags? Or are some of you just arguing for the sake of arguing? 

I don't, but many do. My larger point is about provocation in general: Legal or not, your mouth should never write cheques that your ass can't cash.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎30 at 9:46 AM, kimmy said:

Why is Trump blathering about flag-burning right now? 

There was a segment on it on Fox and Friends. The president-elect randomly tweets proposals to tear up the constitution based on what he sees on TV at any given moment.

10 hours ago, cybercoma said:

Do people really give a shit about burning flags? Or are some of you just arguing for the sake of arguing? 

I care about people having the freedom to do whatever they want, as long as no-one gets hurt.  Burning Flags are just like drawing pictures of Mohammad, attending funerals with opinions on placards, Kneeling during the national anthem, or standing on the street outside an abortion clinic holding a picture.

It doesn't matter who gets offended.

Does it matter if people are offended by the flying of certain flags?

On 2016-12-01 at 10:19 AM, bcsapper said:

I care about people having the freedom to do whatever they want, as long as no-one gets hurt.  Burning Flags are just like drawing pictures of Mohammad, attending funerals with opinions on placards, Kneeling during the national anthem, or standing on the street outside an abortion clinic holding a picture.

It doesn't matter who gets offended.

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

Does it matter if people are offended by the flying of certain flags?

Not to me.  It might matter to them.  But that doesn't matter, in my opinion.

I guess it could be treasonous, in certain cases, but there are laws and punishments for that that don't take offense into account.